AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2017-05-09, 00:15   Link #3581
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Eh, Dragon Ball survived GT, it'll survive this. At worst we'll just archive it in our heads as 'basically fanfiction' next to the Star Wars prequels and the Matrix sequels .
Yall still be hating on GT lol

Yeah, I get it...The pink SSJ4 belts and $hit, I get it...I'd say Super 17 vs Goku made up for a lot of the early blather...

But that thing was more tightly put together that a $hitload of other arcs...GT had actual storylines when Goku, FTrunks and Pan dipped into the galaxies....

Fight the physical manifestation of every critical dragonball wish in the history of show? O_O

That's tighter than some of the current plots...He'll that's tighter than turning homies into chocolate with your antenna...Strawman, i know^^, just saying...
Old 2017-05-09, 00:37   Link #3582
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for GT:

I do think Super needs to up the ante though, and put us in a serious arc. Future Trunks' arc doesn't count when Goku had the insta win button in his pocket all that time.
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 02:06   Link #3583
Mister Twit

I have no issue with this twist. If anything the thing I'm disappointed about is that they apparently spend an entire episode trying to wake up Buu. Oh boy.
Mister Twit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 03:21   Link #3584
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Yall still be hating on GT lol

Yeah, I get it...The pink SSJ4 belts and $hit, I get it...I'd say Super 17 vs Goku made up for a lot of the early blather...

But that thing was more tightly put together that a $hitload of other arcs...GT had actual storylines when Goku, FTrunks and Pan dipped into the galaxies....

Fight the physical manifestation of every critical dragonball wish in the history of show? O_O

That's tighter than some of the current plots...He'll that's tighter than turning homies into chocolate with your antenna...Strawman, i know^^, just saying...
I think it's a different thing. GT was deeply flawed in some ways that Super isn't, but Super is flawed in others that GT wasn't. If you took the best of both worlds you'd probably get a great show.

First: both shows fail in one thing, power level scaling, but at least Super uses that as a chance to bring back old characters into relevance, emphasising team spirit. GT completely squandered that chance in the Shadow Dragons arc, where it would have made much more sense for the warriors to split up and take a dragon each or in small groups. So the weaker ones could have provided exciting fights for, say, Goten, Piccolo (cut that whole bullshit of his sacrifice which made no sense), or even Tien.

GT had a really slow start. The whole 'looking for the black dragon balls' arc was pointlessly drawn out and generally lame. It was supposed to recapture the feel of the old Dragon Ball but it didn't, because the characters were badly written and boring. In this sense, Super wins, because some of its best moments came in filler-ish, character-driven arcs (I'd say perhaps the best one yet is the Great Saiyaman movie one).

GT also tried to sell its drama and up the ante REALLY HARD. Super, for a lot of time, doesn't try to do that. Most of the arcs are light-hearted - including, surprisingly, the current one, even with what's at stake, reinforcing the impression that it's really all a misunderstanding, a lie, or some other shenanigan. This usually works better because there's not much far you can push the drama without ending up being ridiculous. The most dramatic arc in Super, the Goku Black arc, felt extremely GT-like at time.

GT however had better ideas for its main conceits, no doubt. Baby and the Shadow Dragons are both really good ideas, that however were not developed fully and gave way to underwhelming, poorly written fights. Can't say Super has done much better in that department though. It tends to have lower ambitions and therefore risk less falling short of them (a tournament is a very safe bet, for example, and we're in for our second one already).

GT also had superior design. Say what you want, SSJ4 looks awesome, whereas SSJB is a lazy palette swap.

So yeah. There's other points but generally I'd say that at this point I still slightly prefer Super over GT, but they're both pretty bad. Only thing for me is that Super is more tongue-in-cheek, which makes me more forgiving towards it.

Also, the Super manga is actually much more solid than the anime IMHO. If we consider that, then the plotting also earns some more points.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 03:23   Link #3585
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

No matter what people say Dragon ball GT will always be my canon dragon ball z sequel. Yes, GT has so many flaws but not to insult level as Dragon Ball Super.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 03:30   Link #3586
Seafoam
『Lolimancer』
*Graphic Designer

I would think every previously relevant fighter not named Goku embarrassingly getting beaten is nothing but insulting.
Seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 04:55   Link #3587
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafoam View Post
I would think every previously relevant fighter not named Goku embarrassingly getting beaten is nothing but insulting.
Yeah, GT was the DBZ attitude of "Goku solves everything" turned up to 11. Super is the opposite way - "Goku often solves nothing" or even "Goku actually fucks things up" .

Oh, one more opportunity that GT missed on big time and that Super is going to deliver on: female Super Saiyans. I hated how GT completely shafted both Pan and Bra. Pan had more of a fighting role but she still was pretty incompetent; in the end of DBZ we'd seen her be incredibly strong by age 2, so by her GT age she should at least be a Super Saiyan. Instead she's an annoying and spoiled brat with barely superhuman strength. I can understand the character flaws but at least make her a decent co-protagonist.

Old 2017-05-09, 05:17   Link #3588
DemonneoPT

Indeed, however Super also missed the opportunity to bring back the sayan tails and Oozaru tho
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 09:50   Link #3589
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-09, 11:21   Link #3590
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's actually the official Goku day in Japan (because Go=5 and Ku=kyu=9). Piccolo got his day hijacked.
Old 2017-05-09, 19:41   Link #3591
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's actually the official Goku day in Japan (because Go=5 and Ku=kyu=9). Piccolo got his day hijacked.
Then!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2017-05-10, 11:50   Link #3592
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Then!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I didn't know they made a fig of that
Old 2017-05-12, 02:13   Link #3593
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The impact was a flash. Piccolo realised he had lost track of his opponent - the brat was nowhere to be seen. Where was he? He was coming at him from the front just an instant ago, he couldn't possibly have vaulted over him that quickly.
Then, in a sudden wave, the feeling of emptiness, cold, and the pain, overcame him all at once, and he understood.
He lowered his eyes and saw the gaping hole through his chest.
He turned his head up. The kid was still flying above him, covered in his own blood and guts, his eyes more demonic than Piccolo's had ever been. This one's going to go far, thought Piccolo all of a sudden.
The kid looked down on him. "From now on," he whispered "this is MY day."

Old 2017-05-13, 19:38   Link #3594
Blueknight78

episode 90
Spoiler for 90:
Old 2017-05-13, 19:46   Link #3595
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Spoiler for 90:

Also after the preview, there was a small commercial about the second opening theme. Did they finally announce the release of its full version?

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2017-05-13 at 20:06.
Old 2017-05-13, 21:45   Link #3596
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Spoiler for 90:

Also after the preview, there was a small commercial about the second opening theme. Did they finally announce the release of its full version?
yeah i really feel bad for the "old lady" goku family voice actress, if her battle lines where not just "old recorded" lines that can be pretty tiresome for someone on 80 years old, she must really love do that roles cuz really this must be really tiresome.
Old 2017-05-13, 22:11   Link #3597
sayde

So is Gohan being the one to unlock Super Saiyan White becoming the new bold prediction amongst fans? Or is it just me thinking this? I mean from the constant white colored ki of his mystic form to his declaration of trying to unlock an ultimate form that's never been seen before, I can't help but think that a white haired SSJ form is what's ultimately being alluded to here. And with Gohan becoming the leader of team 7, it'd make sense if he was the one to end up with the shiny new SSJ power up.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-13, 22:37   Link #3598
Chosen_Hero

My boy Gohan is back!!!!
Old 2017-05-14, 01:25   Link #3599
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Eeeek!! My favorite favorite episode of Super yet since episode 88, they truly are trying to make Gohan great here, top of that Goku makes Gohan the leader?? Best Ever!!! Wondervif Gohan will get some sort of mystic power up during the tournament? The way he's talking sounds possible. Now I'm even more hyped!!

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-05-14, 02:19   Link #3600
Hakai

You can tell from the look on Goku's face this whole episode, he's proud.

Tags
action, dragon ball z, shounen, super powers, tragedy