AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

View Poll Results: GATE - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 4 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 11 39.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 21.43%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 10.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 10.71%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 3.57%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2016-01-18, 22:51   Link #81
Yan3242

If you put it in the most simple/basic term, its pretty much down to "the empire start first"

Just like Lelei said to pina in season 1 "you stepped a grifon tail"
Old 2016-01-19, 02:26   Link #82
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
And the part Pina tries hard to explain to the Senators and her family what kind people Japanese are.
Why does she shake at that moment? Or should I say why her words are shaking?
Can anyone explain this part for me?
I think it's because she's walking a knife edge between understating Japan's power, and being taken for a coward or a traitor. Disaster on both sides, personally and for the Empire.
Old 2016-01-19, 03:18   Link #83
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Piss poor intelligence there. Instead of raping and slave labor they could've interrogated about the strengths and weaknesses of Japan.
But they did ask. And they were told, entirely accurately, that Japan is a pacifist society that renounced offensive war and restricts military spending heavily.

The thing is, even the nation of Somalia could give the Empire trouble. You don't need to be a superpower to defeat Romans.
Old 2016-01-19, 03:50   Link #84
Grampa

Wonder what made the emperor to decide to go whit a full massive assault against an unknown civilization in his view in an alien world?
Was it perhaps he needed to increase power and prestige to his country by winning great battles from a closest civilization who happens to be japan behind the gate and whit what he thought he had an powerful army that where big enough to ensure victory and glory to him no matter his army would encounter?
did someone lured him to think it gonna be an easy conquest of this sudden appear of unknown land, but instead he got an losing battle whit lots of human losses and the mastermind of this scam is one or perhaps more of those soulhungry goods?
or perhaps was it that his country somehow getting porer and where in deep need of new goldmines and other valuable mineral resources to stabilizing his country economic,
or did his population started to grown and was in need of new fertil land to stop the forthcoming starvation and reduce the possible risk of rebellion from starving country people,
or was it to satisfied those warlords in the senates and those war mongols army for there own personal desire of glory and war booty as gold and slavery?
does anyone have the answer to what caused this invasion or only guess why?
Old 2016-01-19, 03:59   Link #85
Yan3242

Quote:
Wonder what made the emperor to decide to go whit a full massive assault against an unknown civilization in his view in an alien world? *snip*
i think it has nothing to do with that, lets not forget they live at totally different era, custom and thinking, we can ask something like that because thats how today modern era has taught us.

in the old days like medieval era, its all about conquering land, and since empire at that time is consider a mighty nation it probably the 1st thing that they need to do, conquer.
Old 2016-01-19, 04:03   Link #86
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Ancient Empires can't afford a full size army via taxation alone. Warfare is needed to keep the army fed and paid. Without the army you don't get to have an empire, and if you try to disband or cut pay to the army they rebel and start a civil war. So the only option is starting constant new invasions.

The idea of "peacetime" is alien to those ancient peoples.
Old 2016-01-19, 18:50   Link #87
DmonHiro

Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Basically, the empire though they were Billy Badass, so they went through the gate to conquer and pillage. There, they MET Billy Badass. Billy Badass kicked their ass, and came after them to see why they tried to be Billy Badass. It's a simple story. The emperor didn't think they'd even find a force that could fight them off. And in their world, they wouldn't have.
Old 2016-01-21, 01:00   Link #88
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Sergeant View Post
Was it the JSDF that killed the three Special Ops Teams? I got the impression that as the Teams fired on Rory one of the Teams, accidentally or intentionally, fired on one of the other Teams, and then all of them began a three-way firefight and were engaging Rory at the same time.
The ones wiped out by Rory (and each other) in the area just outside of the onsen were all that was left of the three teams. The rest were killed by the JSDF "Servants". Picked off one by one without so much as a single casualty the other way. This is why the President blackmailed the Prime Minister to call off his men, and why Rory was getting all hot and bothered beforehand.

And now that I think about it, even the fact that they managed to wound Rory was kind of impressive. If she had a human healing factor, she would have died quite painfully. Gut shots are nasty things.

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2016-01-21 at 01:16.
Old 2016-01-21, 20:59   Link #89
Forever
Revealing the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Huh? I would have reacted the same way as Itami in that situation. If you are referring to Kuribayashi, then yes, it was a little showy, but she is a very well trained soldier. She could have easily shot everyone instead of doing her martial arts, which would have resulted in the same. If you're referring to Sugawara, then his statements are very consistent with any democratic modern country in our world today.

There are certain opinions that are very anti-Japanese in the Gate forum, but this one is really stretching it.
Kuribayashi is probably conserving ammo by shooting when needed. They are literally in the heart of the enemy base. If suddenly the empire go apeshit and commence an all out suicide attack with all their soldiers, I think even their ammo will dry up.
Old 2016-01-22, 13:30   Link #90
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever View Post
Kuribayashi is probably conserving ammo by shooting when needed. They are literally in the heart of the enemy base. If suddenly the empire go apeshit and commence an all out suicide attack with all their soldiers, I think even their ammo will dry up.
I noticed she fired controlled bursts at each target, and did not just spray bullets. I also noticed the reload halfway through, and then at the end she dropped her partial magazine and loaded a full one.
Old 2016-01-22, 13:45   Link #91
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yan3242 View Post
If you put it in the most simple/basic term, its pretty much down to "the empire start first"

Just like Lelei said to pina in season 1 "you stepped a grifon tail"
I think it just comes down to "might makes right." One side can literally do whatever they want over here because they can kill anything and anyone who goes against them.

Makes you wonder why they pretended to bother with negotiation and politics in the first place. In the end they resolved this by killing and beating everyone in their way. And sure let's blow up some buildings on top of it all, cause why not. They got the ammunition laying around.
Old 2016-01-22, 14:37   Link #92
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I think it just comes down to "might makes right." One side can literally do whatever they want over here because they can kill anything and anyone who goes against them.

Makes you wonder why they pretended to bother with negotiation and politics in the first place. In the end they resolved this by killing and beating everyone in their way. And sure let's blow up some buildings on top of it all, cause why not. They got the ammunition laying around.
I really don't think that conquest is really what Japan is after. After assuring Tokyo's (and Japan's) security, I think they really want to trade for raw materials, especially iron ore and oil, both of which are scarce in Japan. It would be n economic boon, whereas not only conquest, but occupation forces, would be a drain on their economy. Given the attitude the Empire has displayed toward Japan, I'm not surprised that that they are "speaking softly but carrying a big stick".
Old 2016-12-13, 04:48   Link #93
Ghostfriendly

The kidnap victim rescue felt rather trite, since Japan had so much trouble returning abductees from North Korea. And the whole international community has been ineffective at rescuing the Chibok girls. Lauding your military's real virtues is one thing, but blatant wish fulfilment and real organisation do not mix well. Especially when it relies on the antagonists frankly being idiots.
Closed Thread