AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-28, 18:39   Link #41
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
When I saw the first episode, I had a lot of concerns. Seeing the second episode, when Yui was determined to get my favorite guitar...that was it.

Afterwards, I couldn't stop watching it, and it inspires me to keep playing (well, "inspire" and "brainwash" are two different words, seeing as how I usually keep playing JUST K-ON! songs).
Don't forget to tell us something about yourself
Old 2010-09-28, 18:48   Link #42
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

This is sort of a demographics thread.
Old 2010-09-28, 18:53   Link #43
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
This is sort of a demographics thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fome
This thread is to survey the demographic landscape of fans and get a glimpse of which kinds of people watch K-ON for which reasons.
You would be right Ithekro.
Old 2010-09-28, 18:55   Link #44
[T]ensio[N]
Moe Moe Kyun~ <3

lol do you have to ask?
its so epic you cant even say why
music and anime combined together.... whats more epic than that?
Old 2010-09-29, 11:32   Link #45
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Thumbs up

Frankly I like this thread. I wish there were more threads like this in every forum. I find that forums in general, and AnimeSuki's in particular tend to be a little over-moderated. People get SO dogmatic about keeping the "discussion on topic" they forget WHY anyone comes to HAVE a discussion in the first place... to connect with others who have the same interests, but possibly different takes or opinions about these stories and shows. Knowing MORE about the people who are here and understanding HOW and WHERE you would place yourself in the continuum of Anime & Manga consumers is an important piece of the hobby IMHO.

As the series has wound down, I'm finding myself more drawn to THIS thread over all the others. For instance, I find it both interesting and comforting to find other life-loing anime watchers in these forums. The stereotype is that only young adults and kids watch animation of any sort, yet it is adults of varying ages from 25 and up who actually CREATE and shape the animation we are all watching. I myself have been an animation Art Director, Pre-Production designer and artist and Creative Director, driving concepts in animation during my varied career. Now I'm venturing more into Social Media and the how and why of engagement between companies that produce products and the communities they serve. This discussion thread hits me on all levels. I'm happy to be a part of it.

K-On has been a great show and seeing the wide variety of fans has been elucidating.
Old 2010-09-29, 11:45   Link #46
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
Frankly I like this thread. I wish there were more threads like this in every forum. I find that forums in general, and AnimeSuki's in particular tend to be a little over-moderated. People get SO dogmatic about keeping the "discussion on topic" they forget WHY anyone comes to HAVE a discussion in the first place... to connect with others who have the same interests, but possibly different takes or opinions about these stories and shows. Knowing MORE about the people who are here and understanding HOW and WHERE you would place yourself in the continuum of Anime & Manga consumers is an important piece of the hobby IMHO.

As the series has wound down, I'm finding myself more drawn to THIS thread over all the others. For instance, I find it both interesting and comforting to find other life-loing anime watchers in these forums. The stereotype is that only young adults and kids watch animation of any sort, yet it is adults of varying ages from 25 and up who actually CREATE and shape the animation we are all watching. I myself have been an animation Art Director, Pre-Production designer and artist and Creative Director, driving concepts in animation during my varied career. Now I'm venturing more into Social Media and the how and why of engagement between companies that produce products and the communities they serve. This discussion thread hits me on all levels. I'm happy to be a part of it.

K-On has been a great show and seeing the wide variety of fans has been elucidating.

One more thumbs up for your comment. Now, I'm not going to complain about the moderation that's going on (I think the mods do a good job), but I do agree with what you said about how people have discussions in order to connect with other people with similar or different interests. Which is why I like to lurk around other forums too^.^

K-ON has kept a surprising amount of fans, considering how simple the show's concept was. It's the comedy and those moments that just pull at your emotions that makes this show so great. I personally enjoyed watching it, and I cannot complain about ANY of the songs they released along the way. I CANNOT.
Old 2010-09-29, 11:54   Link #47
klare

initially was just giving it a try since the poster looks interesting (Yui jumping with the guitar)

started with eps 9 (i think) and felt quite enjoyable, then watched them all

the main reason: i like it

btw a working adult here
Old 2010-09-29, 19:43   Link #48
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
One more thumbs up for your comment. Now, I'm not going to complain about the moderation that's going on (I think the mods do a good job), but I do agree with what you said about how people have discussions in order to connect with other people with similar or different interests. Which is why I like to lurk around other forums too^.^

K-ON has kept a surprising amount of fans, considering how simple the show's concept was. It's the comedy and those moments that just pull at your emotions that makes this show so great. I personally enjoyed watching it, and I cannot complain about ANY of the songs they released along the way. I CANNOT.
I agree...

You always wonder how the heck such a simple theme as K-on become so...popular.
This is one of the purposes of this thread.
Old 2010-09-29, 21:13   Link #49
Animexcel

Yui is so cute, maaaaaaan. The impossibly cute one.
Old 2010-09-30, 06:51   Link #50
Dimarzio

becuase funny and moe <<< important
Old 2010-09-30, 08:19   Link #51
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

No demographics? No little statistical info like age and nationality?

No demographics = 1/2 Fun.
Old 2010-09-30, 08:44   Link #52
Sparvid
*hic*

My memory might be a bit off, but IIRC: I had a bunch of spare time during the summer of 2009, and started watching the first season of Haruhi. Looking up thoughts about the show online resulted in a few... "annoyed" Haruhi fans, saying that K-On had been a bad influence on KyoAni when it came to the second season of Haruhi.
K-On? What's that? A show about a teenage girl rock band? Well, I've got to check that out!

What made me keep watching was probably the interaction between the characters, with lots of different fun combinations. The catchy music didn't hurt either. Yui and Ritsu were tied for favorites throught the first season, until headband-less Ritsu took the lead after episode 13.

I'm a 27 year old Swedish male.
Old 2010-10-01, 14:09   Link #53
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Because is for all ages.

Because this put a big smile in my face.

Because the animation and voice actor have high quality.
Old 2010-10-02, 06:58   Link #54
Rhythm

I started watching it because I saw an increased amount of uploaded images on a certain image-board website featuring the girls from K-On!. It seemed like everyone liked it and it was very popular, so I figured I might as well give it a chance. Also because it was the first anime I've seen with girls playing any sort of musical instrument. (It was also the first time I watched an anime just because of images that were uploaded on a website).

The first episode had me half-hooked. Scanning through the first ep. just to check it out (Start, mid, end), I was thinking "Meh". But after I watched the whole thing I thought it was pretty good. Put simply, as I began to watch more, I became more attached to it. Relating Yui's progress with learning the guitar to my own progress got me even more attached. xD

I keep watching it because it continues to inspire me to play my guitar and allow my appreciation for music to thrive. My old guitar used to lay in a corner and collect dust, until I started watching this. I began practicing again (what was once a month, became once a day), learning new chords and techniques. It even had me buy a new guitar! Also experiencing, their endless funny antics, ups and downs, and idealistically happy lifestyles served as an extra bonus. I mean, who wouldn't mind leading lives like the Light Music Club? Drink tea everyday, play music all the time with your close group of friends, go on vacations and such. (BTW Filo, 17, In Aus)

Last edited by Rhythm; 2010-10-02 at 07:23.
Old 2010-10-02, 07:10   Link #55
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

comedy, cuteness,yuri and Ritsu. that's why.

15 years old, famale, Israel.
Old 2010-10-02, 07:41   Link #56
Recette

To be honest, I didn't like the first season all that much. I loathed at how the show wasn't really much about a girl learning to play the guitar from scratch. I also wasn't much for the gags they kept reusing, animation was just okay, music was okay, even though it bugs me how Azusa and Mio don't really do anything jazzy. Don't Say Lazy is pretty cool. I liked wanking over the gear though, even though there's silly stuff like unamped K701s and such. I also liked episode 13, because it seems like the only point where the characters actually had some variety, and Mio trying to be deep is funny in the context of the lyrics she puts out.

But season two is really solid in my eyes, I like it a lot. They toned down the dumb gags a LOT, and kept the humor a lot less in-your-face. The characters are usually less annoying because of this. It seemed a bit cleaner, and Listen!!/No Thank You was a great change from the typical K-ON song. Not a fan of the OPs though. It's really good at what it does, in being a simple slice-of-life show. I don't really think of it as being music-based in the sense of Nodame Cantabile or BECK, but more or less a high school slice-of-life where they just happen to jam sometimes because they are in the same club.

19 male in Canada.
Old 2010-10-02, 10:17   Link #57
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Exclamation

I thought the Ops & Eds were interesting because the opens seemed to come from their time in Highschool, while the ends seemed to feel like professional music videos that would have been produced by an idol-band producing agency. TO me they were the contrast between where they were in the show and where they were GOING to be during/after university.

I'm REALLY hoping we get an S3 with the girls flaking/cutting classes in uni while scheming to get Azusa through HS and back into the band so they can sign a contract and get published. Occasional club dates being played ensue in the borders of episodes.

Its the character development, slow and subtle as it is, that I really have enjoyed in K-On! I'm hoping we get more and that it carries on in it's own turtle paced way.
Old 2010-10-02, 15:12   Link #58
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
comedy, cuteness,yuri and Ritsu. that's why.

15 years old, famale, Israel.
I find this very interesting. Most girls I know are turned off by yuri in anime. Learning things like this is one of the reasons I made this thread.
Old 2010-10-02, 15:17   Link #59
kitten320

I watch K-ON because it is funny, doesn't stress your mind and is very relaxing.

But I also watch it because I can relate to them, I alsol have several huge dreams but am too lazy to realise them right now -sigh- I need to get over my laziness.
Old 2010-10-02, 15:28   Link #60
Kagayaki

K-on is like all the fun things you did in high school with your friends except compressed into bite-sized 20 minute highlight reels. Sure, I was a guy going to high school in America who played sports instead of playing in a band. But somehow, regardless of what those girls are actually doing in the show, it reminds you what it was like to be in high school, just hanging out with your friends (just replace "band" with "team"). Now I'm most of the way through college. I have a great time with my friends here, and it's not like I would go relive high school even if I had the chance. Even so, reminiscing about those days is always fun and nostalgic.

Oh, and the whole cute girls doing cute things part doesn't hurt the show either