Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-25, 10:34   Link #21
Coldlight
Sayaka★Magica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
somehow kinda reminds me of this thread where both OP whom having serious narrow-minded mindset throwing tantrum.
Reminds me more of this thread. Another rant on why more of the OP's preferred kind of anime isn't getting made.

Incidentally, there's this other locked thread complaining about the opposite - anime becoming more mainstream. Go figure.
Old 2012-11-25, 10:34   Link #22
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat- View Post
2.) Go back to having adults only in Anime.
I'm curious to know when anime ever had "adults only".
Old 2012-11-25, 10:34   Link #23
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Quite frankly, among many series today... too many characters fit the WUSS category. While yes, even today, there are some notable exceptions to this pattern. It just happens -- the wussies outnumber the badasses.
I don't think most characters are wusses today, maybe you are just watching the wrong series.

Or maybe the best characters really shouldn't be characterized as wussies are badasses. Both those descriptors sound like pretty boring characters to me.
Old 2012-11-25, 10:35   Link #24
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I don't think most characters are wusses today, maybe you are just watching the wrong series.

Or maybe the best characters really shouldn't be characterized as wussies are badasses. Both those descriptors sound like pretty boring characters to me.
I've watched a bunch that y'had listed and liked 'em.

But you missed my point: WUSSIES outnumber BADASSES.
Old 2012-11-25, 10:36   Link #25
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Tiger and Bunny
Uchuu Kyoudai
Bunny Drop
Psycho Pass
Fate Zero

And those are just recent ones off the top of my head. While younger characters are by in large the majority there are series with adults in them.
Yeah, I think the last couple of years have shown some improvement in this regard.

There was a brief period where adult major protagonists seemed to have completely disappeared from anime, but they have made something of a rebound lately. Hopefully that rebound continues.
Old 2012-11-25, 10:38   Link #26
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
I'm curious to know when anime ever had "adults only".
Didn't you know? Ten years ago the only Animes ever made were Cowboy bebop, Ghost in the Shell, EVA, Hellsing, Kenshin and Dragon Ball...

...According to the western fans that is.
Old 2012-11-25, 10:38   Link #27
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
There was a brief period where adult major protagonists seemed to have completely disappeared from anime, but they have made something of a rebound lately. Hopefully that rebound continues.
That rebound is only slight. That's all due to the still heavy demand for "moe".

Even so, this character fits my view of a "badass".
Spoiler:
Old 2012-11-25, 10:39   Link #28
judasmartel
*Author

You know, wussies have plenty of room for character development. It depends on the author how to use it. Badasses on the other hand, are already so awesome that really, it's difficult to develop them further without making them boring or overpowered. Mostly, it's the badasses doling out character development to their lesser allies more often.
Old 2012-11-25, 10:39   Link #29
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:

Maybe the superheroe genre has been done so many times that is hard to do it in an interesting way, therefore your lack of badass heroes (which atm are seen as cliche and boring)
Old 2012-11-25, 10:40   Link #30
Kirarakim

Quote:

But I think you missed mine too

What I am saying is the best character should be neither a wuss or a badass. It's just my opinion but I like characters that are more complex then that. I like a character that have both weaknesses and strengths.

So a character who is a boring wuss or way too cool and bad ass are both boring characters to me.
Old 2012-11-25, 10:40   Link #31
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
That rebound is only slight. That's all due to the still heavy demand for "moe".

Spoiler:
That's not how you spell Chiaki.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2012-11-25, 10:41   Link #32
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Didn't you know? Ten years ago the only Animes ever made were Cowboy bebop, Ghost in the Shell, EVA, Hellsing, Kenshin and Dragon Ball...

...According to the western fans that is.
How dare you forget Slayers? Lina is the embodiment of manliness
Old 2012-11-25, 10:43   Link #33
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
You know, wussies have plenty of room for character development. It depends on the author how to use it. Badasses on the other hand, are already so awesome that really,it's difficult to develop them further without making them boring or overpowered.
That's why y'turn to some themes from Greek myth, pertaining towards "perfect" characters with character flaws -- and develop a story where either they fall to those flaws or find ways to overcome them.

But of course, story-writing these days has been so LAZY, such that they stick to the template stories that people pay attention to (whether you may consider some to be stories at all).

And before going further -- I'll have to ask this question:

How do YOU define a "badass"?

By the way, yes, Chiaki is also a badass. But not as much as Marika.
Old 2012-11-25, 10:45   Link #34
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Spoiler:
Speaking of badasses, how come more of you guys are NOT watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure? Is that's show's retro badassery so repelling that you instantly melt to goo when you are exposed to a single pixel of it? And the best part with the JoJo voiced by Sugita IS starting in December!
Old 2012-11-25, 10:47   Link #35
Kirarakim

Honestly I don't think anime changed that much from when I first started watching it about 12 years ago.

They had bishounen voiced by Seki Tomokazu then and they have bishounen voiced by Seki Tomokazu now.

Now the male fans on here might not care but well it's good to be a female anime fan.

And Kyuu if that is how you define bad ass I will take my criticism of your post back. I never did finish that series, but that is a well written character. So if well written=Bad ass then I agree

edit: As for Jo Jo, waiting for all the episodes to be subbed. That is usually what I do with non-streaming series these days.
Old 2012-11-25, 10:48   Link #36
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
How dare you forget Slayers? Lina is the embodiment of manliness
I think you got the wrong wizard

Spoiler:
Old 2012-11-25, 10:49   Link #37
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
How do YOU define a "badass"?
Spoiler for Answer:
GANBARIMASU
Old 2012-11-25, 10:52   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I think that what Kyuu is criticizing is how a lot of anime shows go back to the old template of "Zero to Hero in a cour or two" style of character development.

In other words, the main character really is a bit "wussy" starting out (although not necessarily much worse than your average person would be), and then the character gradually gets stronger and more "badass" over time. The problem with this approach is that first impressions die hard, and once a character is viewed as a wuss it can be very hard for him or her to ever overcome that (I think of some of the criticisms that Guilty Crown's Shu and PMMM's Madoka have faced).

The road less traveled is having a main protagonist that starts strong, but has rough edges that need to be ironed out, giving them important flaws that make them easier to relate to. Rinne no Lagrange is another anime that took this approach, and I think they were better for it.
Old 2012-11-25, 10:54   Link #39
judasmartel
*Author

My problem with protagonists that start strong is that they tend to be assholes, are so overpowered that no one can give him an epic challenge, or have ridiculously sob backstories. That gives me the wrong notion that you can't be badass if you're genuinely kind-hearted and that in order to become badass you need to give up your morals.

That's why my ideal hero is the White Knight archetype. He starts off at the exact middle of the power tiers, not weak but not overpowered. He's genuinely kind-hearted and only fights to protect the weak and the innocent.
Old 2012-11-25, 10:56   Link #40
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
I never did finish Moretsu Pirates,
Heresy! To the donjon iwith him!
Closed Thread