AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-06-05, 21:13   Link #1
K9Platnum685
Dark Hadou Master

Send a message via AIM to K9Platnum685
Does anyone know who won the N64 VS PS1 competition?

I was too little to know what happened at the time. I think Playstation beat the N64 or did N64 win?
K9Platnum685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-05, 21:29   Link #2
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Depends on how you see it, but to put it simple PS1 won because they sold more consoles.

But:

If you look for the company who was more profitable then Nintendo won.

If you look at games I think Nintendo won. All I need to mention is Ocarina of Time.

From the piracy point of view Nintendo won. Everyone I know who has a playstation has only pirate games, NO ONE has an original game.

yes im a nintendo fanboy in denial I hate what sony did to the industry, filling it with crappy games for their crappy console *sigh*
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 04:55   Link #3
ubb

Hate to burst your bubble but PS1 annihilated N64 in terms of game variety and quality. N64 was not able to push as many games out because they were still using expensive cartridges and they do not have alot of 3rd party developers for their N64 console. I've played N64 at my friend's house a few times, the only ones I enjoy was mario party and mario kart 64(only because i was a die hard MK fan during the SNES days).
ubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 06:47   Link #4
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Edit: I'm gonna hold my tongue, I stated cartridges were cheaper then CDs based on an old game mag article, but I misread it, they merely stat that putting RAM into the cartridge is a cheaper/better alternative then putting it into the hardware, well here it is:

NG(Next Generation: Nintendo claims CD-ROMs are unsuitable for games. But data loaded into RAM from a CD-ROM behaves exactly the same as the ROM found in cartidges, right?

George(George Zachary):I agree. The problem is that you have enough RAM...

NG: ...which is expensive. So the only reason that Nintendo doesn't like CD-ROM is because it makes the hardware too expensive, right?

George: I defintely think so. And the interesting thing is the cost curve on RAM is pretty flat for the next three to four years. Demand is going to meet supply, and - from what I hear - the cost of RAM is actually going to go up. In the future I think there are going to be three staple, world requirements: bread, water, and RAM [smiles].

-------------

Also, PSX > N64. PSX's 3rd party support with its "games for every type of gamer" attitude vs. Nintendos "family oriented" campaign, the fact that CDs are cheaper to produce and less complicated, and the fact that Square decided to work with Sony were what really hurt the N64, but I think the "kiddy" image that N64 was precieved as was what really not only hurt the system, but the company itself since from all my experiences as a consumer and game retailer, the reputation is that Nintendo is "kiddy". When NGC launched, Nintendo tried to stray away from their previous image, and tried really hard to appeal, not only to old school Nintendo fans, but PSX born and other "serious gamers" with such games as their RE licenses, Capcom's Capcom vs SNK 2, and other assorted games. But despite their attempts, their sales still linger, below both XBOX and PS2, if I remember correctly. And although it may not seem like it now, but NGC seems to be in the same position as N64. Currently NGC is coming out with a lot of anticapated titles, the new 3D Zelda, RE:4 (which I *REALLY* hope advances the story for once, all I know is, that Leon's the main character and he gets trapped in a fucked up village). If these do not sell well, I fear NGC will be just like N64, barely hanging in there with both XBOX and PS2, until the new systems come out.

Last edited by JubeiYamazaki; 2004-06-06 at 08:03.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 08:15   Link #5
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

They both won, since they both made profit. Sega lost, because it lost money...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 08:27   Link #6
Ending

Yea, but Sony got the market dominance and thus will make more money in the future too.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-06, 08:41   Link #7
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

They both won because they both made a truckload of money.

Seriously the PSX probably made more money than N64 so they won in that regards. Also, Sony's big sales were in part due to just their whole marketing scheme. If memory serves, Sony first created that whole greatest hits idea where they'd sell older games for $20 as well as being one of, if not the first, companies to offer demo discs of their games in magazines and whatnot as promotional tools.

From my own personal view, the N64 certainly left me with a better memory of games at the time (mario kart, mario, zelda, goldeneye, star fox, and probably quite a few others I can't remember) where as sony had it's few franchises that were fun but more often than not these hits would just bring about waves of carbon copy clone sequels (I love resident evil for the whole way the games look and the story, but 2 and 3 looked identical, 2 at least looked way better than the 1st one).

Somebody else mentioned final fantasy and square helping sony make the big sales and that's true but I think the final fantasy franchise suffered on the psx. The psx was where the annoying cinematics started (strange cause you'd watch em and say damn that was cool but at the same time it bugged me for switching from gameplay to watching, as well as hiding bad graphics with flashy graphics) as well as the male egocentric lead character in 7-9 (thank god that tidus broke that mold in X though he was pretty well hated by the 1337 fans ). I remember having a subscription to Nintendo Power, back during the snes days prior to the N64/PSX release and prior to Square jumping ship; they had posted tech demo pics of Final Fantasy 7 on N64, using FF 6 characters (greatest FF ever) and the in-game graphics shown there blew Final Fantasy 7's crap graphics out of the water.

In a nutshell, I think the PSX had setup big franchise games (where pushing the franchise took heavier priority than pushing the game) whereas the N64 just did great games.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 15:47   Link #8
K9Platnum685
Dark Hadou Master

Send a message via AIM to K9Platnum685
I tottally agree now. The PSX made more money but the N64 left you with memories of Great games.
Zelda, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario64, Coker's Bad Fur Day.etc.
K9Platnum685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-12, 20:33   Link #9
Shadowlord
~DESU

the psx was a horrible console overall. graphics and games wise especially. The graphics were soo bad it wasn't funny, and 90% of the games sucked. They were able to push so many games because most of them sucked. nintendo created alot fewer, but by far more quality games. Not to mention their graphics exceeded those of even most computer games at the time. Its the difference between the 64's 64 bit graphics engine, and psx' 32. Frankly, i doubt they even used close to its 32 bit capability.
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-13, 20:39   Link #10
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Sony's PS1 dethroned Nintendo as the no. 1 video game company. Its that simple really. I was one that never thought it could have happened either but it did. The total lack of third party support killed Nintendo.

For example how many good Rpgs were on Nintendo? I can't think of a single one, better yet I can't even come up with any RPGs on that system! oh wait there was Ogre battle... thats it I think. Luckily Nintendo has and always will be the BEST first party developer of games with Zelda, Mario, etc. Thats what keeps them alive.

Sony had a crap load of good games, especially at there time of release. Just to name off some good series and games.

Gran Turismo- Best Racing game franchise period.
Metal Gear Solid- tactical espoinage at its finest.
Final Fantasy series- Rpgs reigned SUPREME on PS1
Xenogears
Wild arms
Breath of Fire series- another great RPG series that moved over to sony.
Resident Evil series- Started a genre
Silent Hill series
Twisted Metal 1 & 2 - great games, the other ones on the system were not.
Tekken series- A great fighting series of its time and still today.
Einhander- a great shooter another genre lacking on the N64
R-Type Delta
Suikoden series
Star Ocean 2
Ape escape- N64 definitly had the upper hand when it came to platformers but this was still a good game.
Tenchu- pretty cool when it came out.
Chono Cross
I know theres some I'm missing cause theres so many damn games on that system but like others have said since it had WAY more games then the 64 it also had a lot of crappy ones.

N64- Basically kicked ass with its platformers, adventure and FPS games.
Mario 64- first game for the system and easily one of the best for it.
Zelda Ocarina of time- Best game on the system and one of the best of any console
Golden eye - this game made the FPS genre popular on consoles
Mario Kart 64 - an awesome game
Star Fox 64- This game is probably my favorite on the system Its perfect. I can only hope Star Fox 2 for gamecube is as good.
Banjo Kazooie- Another outstanding platformer for 64
Conkers Bad Fur day- Probably one of the funniest if not the funniest games I've ever played.

Thats all I can really think of for 64.

Anyways like one other guy said the PS1 had MUCH more variety which is basically why I think it was better.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 20:05   Link #11
Remian

Normally im the guy who doesnt like to flame... BUT WTF!?!?!

NINTENDO BEAT THE PS1 IN EVERY F*CKING WAY!!!!!

i mean nintendo is just, better.....

so shut up.

idiots......
Remian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-10, 21:16   Link #12
SinnerChrno
Maverick Hunter

If you don't like to flame, then don't fuel the fire.
SinnerChrno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 08:26   Link #13
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
For example how many good Rpgs were on Nintendo? I can't think of a single one, better yet I can't even come up with any RPGs on that system! oh wait there was Ogre battle... thats it I think. Luckily Nintendo has and always will be the BEST first party developer of games with Zelda, Mario, etc. Thats what keeps them alive.

I know of a decent RPG for the N64- Paper Mario. That's actually one of the best RPG's I've played.

I usually go through 3-4 games per year; I'm fast in beating a game, but I take long breaks. This is why the N64 appealed to me. Firstly, when it began I was very young and had grown up with Nintendo. After reading about such titles as Ocarina of Time, I knew that the N64 would be the system for me.

I bought the PSX late in the game. It was really a waste. I only bought 3 games out of their gigantic spread of titles. That's what people seem to be missing; almost everything Nintendo produced was quality, whereas basically everything for the PSX was crap. OVERRATED
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 12:11   Link #14
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

ummm, if Nintendo "beat" the PS2, then why was the last N64 game released BEFORE the last PS1 game? (i guess it's because the new PS2's could play the new PS1 games but whatever)
the N64 had very few games, and even fewer good games. They had one of the MOST atrocious games ever concocted: Superman 64. I hated that game. Legend of Zelda was nice but if i never play an N64 3d platformer again, it'll be too soon.
PS1 had a TON of games that ran cheap, and were outstanding fun:
Final Fantasy (like it or hate it, i thoroughly enjoyed FF6, 7, 9, and tactics)
Tekken (the first fighting game i ever bought)
Lunar (to this day, i'm still inquiring at my local EB if they have Lunar 2: Eternal Blue everytime i go down there, I WANT THAT GAME)
Suikoden
Star Ocean (this game at up more of my free time than any of the Final Fantasies)
and many, many others...
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-11, 13:07   Link #15
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
Lunar (to this day, i'm still inquiring at my local EB if they have Lunar 2: Eternal Blue everytime i go down there, I WANT THAT GAME)
When you keep in mind that Lunar originally came out for sega cd, and is better in every way except graphics than most current rpgs, it really puts the game makers to shame. Lunar 2 was one of only 2 games I actually reserved.
Well to get on topic, it seems like there are a lot of n64 fans in denial in this thread. Sure n64 had some good games, but psx had a lot more. Plus the game carts for n64 cost about 60-70 new, compared to 40-50 for psx. I got n64 when it was first released, and only later got a psx, yet I still have 3 times the number of psx games.
Old 2004-07-12, 00:24   Link #16
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
When you keep in mind that Lunar originally came out for sega cd, and is better in every way except graphics than most current rpgs, it really puts the game makers to shame. Lunar 2 was one of only 2 games I actually reserved.
Well to get on topic, it seems like there are a lot of n64 fans in denial in this thread. Sure n64 had some good games, but psx had a lot more. Plus the game carts for n64 cost about 60-70 new, compared to 40-50 for psx. I got n64 when it was first released, and only later got a psx, yet I still have 3 times the number of psx games.
agreed.
i had both a PS1 (now a PS2...basically the same thing y'know) and an N64
how many games did i have for the PS1? around 20, with more i'd still like to get (and CAN get, thank you Sony for your reverse compatible system!)
How many for the N64? About 6. Mario 64, Legend of Zelda, Waverace 64, Super Smash Bros., Doom 64, and Starfox 64.
When i rented games, naturally i'd rent them for both systems when i could.
There were many instances where i'd rent a PS1 game more than once, like FFT (honestly i ended up spending more on renting it than i did on the actual purchase, which is how i justified my parents' buying it for me ) however, for the N64, i never rented the same game twice. And the "expansion pak" thing was absolutely ludicrous. You couldn't play almost ANY of the new games without it (note that none of the games i owned required it) and unless you bought Donkey Kong 64, you had to pay 25-30 bucks for it, for a young kid that's a lot when you could buy a brand spankin' new PS1 game for the same price
Another thing about the N64: the control stick wore out. by the time i got my new next gen systems (Xbox, PS2) the control stick on my N64 controls were...dead. they were worn down and wobbled. Plus, unlike the nice comfy PS's dual shock analog controllers, the stick on the N64 gave my thumb blisters, which meant i had to cough up MORE cash for one that wasn't made out of solid plastic.
so..uh...yeah even though the N64 entertained me for months with the games i bought, it was a huge love-hate relationship that ended with me getting an Xbox and PS2 rather than a gamecube (even though my kid brother ended up getting one so i essentially have all 3 systems)
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 01:56   Link #17
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord
the psx was a horrible console overall. graphics and games wise especially. The graphics were soo bad it wasn't funny, and 90% of the games sucked. They were able to push so many games because most of them sucked. nintendo created alot fewer, but by far more quality games. Not to mention their graphics exceeded those of even most computer games at the time. Its the difference between the 64's 64 bit graphics engine, and psx' 32. Frankly, i doubt they even used close to its 32 bit capability.

The above is why threads like this serv no real purpose they break down into console wars where no one wins. People start saying that their console rules and the other sucks and it is a continued circle. such as this post he makes his opinion sound as though it is fact.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-12, 01:57   Link #18
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remian
Normally im the guy who doesnt like to flame... BUT WTF!?!?!

NINTENDO BEAT THE PS1 IN EVERY F*CKING WAY!!!!!

i mean nintendo is just, better.....

so shut up.

idiots......

Proves my post just above.
Old 2004-07-15, 14:13   Link #19
nipponboy911

alright guys, i can only say this, both the ps1 and n64 were good but y linger in the past when u can play a great system like the xbox???
nipponboy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-15, 14:47   Link #20
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipponboy911
alright guys, i can only say this, both the ps1 and n64 were good but y linger in the past when u can play a great system like the xbox???

Well you can't play an Xbox. You can however play games on the xbox.