Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2020-06-07, 08:35   Link #10021
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
You mean Jin Young works ? I mean, I watched a few movies adapt his work and while very good at the beginning and the middle to later half, it can get really frustrating at the end, It's like watching a bad soap opera drama.
Yes, him.Romance is the most frustrating part of his novels. So many problems could be resolved if only the MC just banged all of the heroines(which actually happened with the MC of his final novel lol). Half of the plot of his novels consist of the MC falling in love with a woman, but due to some reason they could not be together, which leads to the woman trying to kill the MC and other heroines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
For me, Power hungry hero might be a good Idea, but might be a bad idea as well. What I mean is, they are very heavy depend on the execution of author, for well written work, we can easily see a dream chaser, but many of them make MC rather 1 dimensional and really just there to become the center rather than have any personality of his own, this is extremely prevalent in cultivation type of story. Power hungry or ambitious hero is influenced a lot more by writing skill of the author.
That I agree, but I think the interesting bit is less the MC's personality, but the way he navigates through dire straits through brains rather than brawn. It's like RoTK. Zhuge Liang would be a gary stu by today's standards, but the interesting bit about him is the level of intellect shown in the planning and execution of his schemes,especially the way how he grasped the psychology of his opponents.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-07, 13:12   Link #10022
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Hey, it's jumping dogeza again~
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-07, 13:46   Link #10023
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^^
^
He's the first author who wrote MC that is cheat + non-hetare + ambitious + harem + sex

His worldbuilding is simple, but somehow the story developments are not cliche

True power fantasy wish fulfillment and he's not trying to hide that

Almost all of his MCs want to build harem snusnu

It deserves to be popular compared to other pretentious works

And subscription is a thing, so his daily upload will put his works on the top of his subscribers notification list, which is legal
So obvious trash deserve be more popular then trash that at least tries pretend to be morer then trash? Given both is trash I don't think either deserve to be popular, but later should at least get credit for trying.
Old 2020-06-09, 09:53   Link #10024
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^
That trying is usually the thing that ruins the story, like sundome bullshit

Self-aware trash is obviously better

Btw, MC with many abilities / almighty tends to ruin the story as well
Like MC with Perfect Healing, always have to deal with problems of healing people or not
If he doesn't have that ability, he can just not care about it and walk away
But he does, and some readers will point those things out
Like "why not infiltrate that noble mansion? u have teleport and invisibility" or something like that
Old 2020-06-09, 14:16   Link #10025
Rasty

^^ I wouldn't say that wish-fulfillment power fantasy is trash. It might be junk food, but it knows who it targets and those people enjoy it, so it's good in itself. I don't get why many people consider "good" only the novels where the MC is just going from one crappy situation into another.

I actually mind much more when the author decides to be "original" and "deep" at any cost and starts throwing in "philosophical" passages (that range from boring to outright disturbingly wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Fanta View Post
In my opinion, power hungry heroes strike a perfect balance between the tragedy of classic wuxia genre and idealized high fantasy stories. Unlike classic Wuxia stories, the MC has political power--therefore he can reform the state and he is not alone--he has an army. At the same time, the cunning and sheer ruthlessness of the MC's policies avoids the unrealistic oversimplifications of running a state in a high fantasy story. Realistically, someone like Aragorn would not have been a good king because he is just not ruthless enough. CN novels of such genre goes into depth of the MC's tax policy.Through such details, you can understand why the MC's state succeeds, and why the MC's subjects prosper under good governance, instead of the author simply brushing things over and say that the MC ruled fairly,the end.
I agree with power-hungry guys being usually good for the story, though I don't really mind battle maniacs or womanizers too. As long as there is some drive it makes the story flow much better.

As for the economics, while I like the concept too, I tend to avoid them in novels, because those usually are much more "fantasy" than the magic flying around. Usual CN (and JP) economics consists of author browsing wiki for a few "clever" terms and then info-dumping them on readers. Even if the concept itself is sound, it usually just makes no sense even in the usual medieval setting, not even speaking about a world with monsters running around everywhere. The deeper author goes into those the harder it is to ignore how obviously stupid it is.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-09, 17:12   Link #10026
Tenzen12

Junk food IS trash and I am saying that as someone who eat that pretty often. Being liked or enjoyed is not sign of quality it's just sign of knowing your customers. I do enjoy quite lot of isekai that cannot be described in any other way then and yes I enjoy them for most part. Trash is still trash. You can like trash and hate real art, that's completely fine.

That said, i don't think there is mainstream notion that quality=suffering and if there is and I missed it. then I can indeed only say, that's nonsense in it's own right.
Old 2020-06-10, 21:37   Link #10027
kari-no-sugata II

I try not to be too judgemental about whether a story is wish-fulfilment or power-fantasy or similar things that are generally considered "low brow" but I certainly do care about the quality of the implementation. Sometimes those sorts of stories can explore interesting topics that are not covered by more conventional stories aimed at sophisticated readers. Reading about more ordinary or even immoral characters (judged by modern standards) can be interesting. I like fantasy precisely because it can explore things that stories in a strictly modern setting cannot.

But if it's not at least somewhat well written, if the author isn't even making any real obvious effort, then to me it's just a waste of time. I'd rather read something well written in a setting I'm not too interested than the other way around. Nothing kills a story faster for me than something that's simply dull and boring. I'm not nearly so bothered about the content. And just to be clear, I'm not talking about "slice of life" type stories - anything can be boring.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-12, 13:36   Link #10028
Greenish Growth

Lately I've been rather fascinated reading the nocturne story:

監禁王 n4913gc

I was just curious if anyone here happened to be reading it.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-12, 23:27   Link #10029
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Dun read nocturne no more

Is there any novel where MC is a Lord/King and the citizens are SJW retards like Americans?
What the MC does about them?
Old 2020-06-12, 23:30   Link #10030
Ruki0089
Yandere Otoko Ruki-tan

You bringing SJW now?
Let's see... MC only need to feed them into alligators or something
Old 2020-06-13, 00:43   Link #10031
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Like people that refuse to kill monsters NOW
because it was humanity's magic experiments that turned normal creatures into monsters 500 YEARS AGO
So those people just beg forgiveness from those monsters for their ancestors' mistake as THEY ARE BEING EATEN ALIVE
Old 2020-06-13, 01:24   Link #10032
Tenzen12

Not novel but mobile game girls frontline have android rights activists who don't really seem listen what said androids actually wants. I can't say they are relevant though.

Well, it also have high tech cultists who worship virus that makes human into mutant siliconised zombies and they let them eat them instead fighting.
Old 2020-06-13, 03:30   Link #10033
Amelgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
Lately I've been rather fascinated reading the nocturne story:

監禁王 n4913gc

I was just curious if anyone here happened to be reading it.
Just started and finding it rather amusing. The title doesn't really do it any favours...

I got a few laughs out of his interactions with the demon that gave him the power

Edit: Holy $%&^ things got extreme quick. Demons definitely aren't flowers and sunshine in this setting. Why did the author give this such a bad title...

Last edited by Amelgar; 2020-06-13 at 06:57.
Amelgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-13, 08:56   Link #10034
Greenish Growth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelgar View Post
Just started and finding it rather amusing. The title doesn't really do it any favours...

I got a few laughs out of his interactions with the demon that gave him the power

Edit: Holy $%&^ things got extreme quick. Demons definitely aren't flowers and sunshine in this setting. Why did the author give this such a bad title...

The reason for the title is explained later. Yeah, it does get pretty dark sometimes, but if you can handle those parts I think the story is much more interesting than what is usually seen on nocturne. I'm not surprised that it's apparently so popular. The character conversations are pretty interesting and funny. The atmosphere can get pretty intense.

I've been staying up until 1AM each morning so that I can read the latest chapter before going to sleep.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-13, 10:29   Link #10035
charasu
DigiDestinied

>finnaly find something nice to read
>monthly update

goodloord.............
Old 2020-06-13, 10:31   Link #10036
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Why are people reading things like this?
Old 2020-06-13, 10:38   Link #10037
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Is there any novel where MC is a Lord/King and the citizens are SJW retards like Americans?
What the MC does about them?
Not quite what you're looking for but the first thing that sprang to mind is the "Campaign for Equal Heights" from the Discworld series:
https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Ca..._Equal_Heights
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-13, 11:04   Link #10038
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Not novel but mobile game girls frontline have android rights activists who don't really seem listen what said androids actually wants. I can't say they are relevant though.

Well, it also have high tech cultists who worship virus that makes human into mutant siliconised zombies and they let them eat them instead fighting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
Not quite what you're looking for but the first thing that sprang to mind is the "Campaign for Equal Heights" from the Discworld series:
https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Ca..._Equal_Heights
And what the MC does to them in those stories?

Quote:
Campaign for Equal Heights
An interest group aiming to reduce discrimination against dwarfs. The Campaign is mostly run by humans who think that the dwarfs are being exploited, looked down on, or otherwise unfairly dealt with. It is interesting that the Campaign might be discriminating against humans. One time, the Campaign lobbied that dwarf members of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch should be sent to investigate only crimes committed by tall people. Dwarfs themselves don't care much about what the Campaign is doing; they only want to work and send more money home. The Campaign had a fallout over the case of one Mr. Thomas Stronginthearm (Feet of Clay), but continues to be active.
That's the truth
Dwarves don't ask to be loved by white people
errm, I mean humans

Quote:
Campaign for Equal Heights
An interest group aiming to reduce discrimination against dwarfs. The Campaign is mostly run by humans who think that the dwarfs are being exploited, looked down on, or otherwise unfairly dealt with. It is interesting that the Campaign might be discriminating against humans. One time, the Campaign lobbied that dwarf members of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch should be sent to investigate only crimes committed by tall people. Dwarfs themselves don't care much about what the Campaign is doing; they only want to work and send more money home. The Campaign had a fallout over the case of one Mr. Thomas Stronginthearm (Feet of Clay), but continues to be active.

A very active and equally officious member of the group is Estressa Partleigh, who vexes Moist von Lipwig with the demand that the Post Office should employ more Dwarfs. Her logic is typical of the CEH: that as dwarfs are on average two-thirds the height of humans, true employment parity may only be achieved if the Post Office, as a responsible employer, hires three dwarfs for every two humans. Some people have too much time on their hands...
Objective truth in America now
Old 2020-06-13, 11:05   Link #10039
charasu
DigiDestinied

Quote:
for fantasy
people have their own taste :v
Old 2020-06-16, 11:14   Link #10040
zztop

Apparently the LN version of this WN will be getting a manga this Jun 25th:
https://ncode.syosetu.com/n8204cp/

Manga promo on bottom-middle :
Spoiler for Manga advert:

Interestingly the LN has not seen any new Vol 3 release since 2017 despite there being enough WN material; some say it was due to poor domestic sales/author's insistence on getting 5th arc out first.

However J Novel Club's recent licensing of its LN and renewed Western interest seems to have sparked some possible interest from the publishers to resume this series (although they've yet to announce any Vol 3).

Has there ever been precedent where overseas interest in a LN/WN helped to keep it afloat, and is it normal for comicalisations of LNs to be made after they've been suspended/cancelled?
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
web novel