AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2021-09-15, 09:53   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

"Worldbuilding" fantasy

This's a type of fantasy that seems a bit rarer. There's little to no real plot; instead, the entire focus is on developing the world and its cultures. Usually episodic, with a focus on different people, races, countries, etc. over time. Off the top of my head only two come to mind: Restaurant to Another World and Interspecies Reviewers.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-15, 12:46   Link #2
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

So something like Isekai Nonbiri Nouka?
Old 2021-09-17, 16:31   Link #3
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
So something like Isekai Nonbiri Nouka?
I tried reading a bit, does it ever start to become like Reviewers and Restaurant? To the point that I've read it's just a story of a guy setting up a home and getting a bunch of "wives" and pets to help him, with very little exploration of the world at large. Very different from the two I mentioned, where every chapter/episode has something completely new and unique, a look at a different race, or country, or various races/cultures' views on various things.

That's what I'm looking for: a story where the plot/quest is designed to thoroughly explore its world more than anything else, looking at all sorts of different races, cultures, nations, etc. and giving more focus on that than on the "plot". In Reviewers, the whole "plot" is just about a bunch of guys going from one brothel to another to experience every race, every fetish, everything they can and give their take on it; in the process you get a deep look into the sexual and general behavior and values of various races, showing what they see as attractive or unattractive, what they like and dislike, differences in ethics and morals, and how various races view one another. Similarly, in Restaurant, you have individuals from all kinds of races, countries and lifestyles showing up at this diner, and see their backgrounds, what they can and can't do, or will and won't, how their peoples relate to each other and more.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-18, 04:20   Link #4
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

It gets to that point after he sets up the village. Eventually various races/species migrate to the village and he then sets up other villages to integrate their different needs. There's also trade across the countries and stuff like that. But it's not episodic.