AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2021-07-27, 11:02   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1020 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

My bad, guys! While I was aware spoilers came out earlier, I was a bit on the busy side and didn't get a chance to make the new thread until now. That being said, here's what we've got, courtesy of Redon and co. from AP:

-Chapter title is "Robin vs. Black Maria". Splash features Denjirou of the Nine Red Scabbards (under his "Kyoushirou" guise).

-On the rooftop, Kaidou reveals the identity of Yamato's fruit! She possesses the powers of the Inu Inu (Dog) no Mi, Ooguchi no Makami (Large-Mouthed Guardian Wolf) Mythical Zoan (It appears this is the basis of her power). Kaidou points out that this wolf is known as Wano's guardian deity. As they continue to fight, he tells his child that he still wants her to become Wano's new ruler, but Yamato intends to free the country and its samurai from tyranny! They then have an explosive clash....!!!

-Meanwhile, we shift to Robin's battle with Black Maria! Robin gets distracted by illusions resembling the three most important people of her childhood: Nico Olvia (her mother), Professor Clover (Ohara's head scholar), and the giant Jaguar D. Saul! Thankfully, Brooke saves Robin from being duped. In reality, those figures were Maria's subordinates (two SMILE users and a female Number), who were covered in Maria's "Illusion Mist". As for the enemy pirate herself, her weapon, Wanyuudou, is an object that has consumed a SMILE! However, Brooke takes it upon himself to face the living weapon, attacking it with his "Cold Soul". Back to Maria, she still considers Sanji pathetic for crying for Robin's help earlier, and laughs at him. But Robin argues that the cook depending on her help has a deeper meaning the enemy pirate wouldn't understand, and considers Sanji to be one of the Wings of the Pirate King.

-Back on the mainland, Luffy meets with Momo. The rubber man has somewhat recovered, though the Heart Pirates' food supplies (which he exhausted) weren't enough to sustain him. Interestingly, Caribou is present as well, though he watches Luffy from a distance. Our hero has a request to make of the Kouzuki child: To become a dragon and fly him back to Onigashima.....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2021-07-29 at 13:15.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-27, 11:36   Link #2
Rainbowman

So Yamato is basically One Piece’s version of Amaterasu from Okami. I can get behind that. 👍
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-27, 12:40   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Apparently Robin says he's one of the wings of the pirate king (and not both wings), the other obviously being Zoro. Maybe people will finally stop saying Sanji will be replaced by Jinbei in the monster trio now.
Old 2021-07-27, 17:04   Link #4
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
As for Yamato, I'm personally guessing their fruit is more akin to some kind of Okami rather than a Qilin or Byakko; the ガルル is sort of a giveaway. But we'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-We finally learn the identity of Yamato's fruit! She's an Ooguchi no Makami (Large-Mouthed Guardian Wolf) Mythical Zoan! It appears this is the basis of her power.
Excellent. I knew that there was something wrong with the Kirin theory that everyone and their dog subscribed to. Guess I really should trust my gut a bit more.
Old 2021-07-27, 20:52   Link #5
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Apparently Robin says he's one of the wings of the pirate king (and not both wings), the other obviously being Zoro. Maybe people will finally stop saying Sanji will be replaced by Jinbei in the monster trio now.
They stopped doing that for a while now... Now they were saying he was going to be replaced by Yamato.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-28, 07:43   Link #6
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Excellent. I knew that there was something wrong with the Kirin theory that everyone and their dog subscribed to. Guess I really should trust my gut a bit more.
I subscribed to the Byakko theory (I mean, come on, Dragon vs Tiger?), but I'm glad that Oda proved me wrong this time like so many times before it, and in an awesome way at that.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-28, 08:10   Link #7
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
I subscribed to the Byakko theory (I mean, come on, Dragon vs Tiger?), but I'm glad that Oda proved me wrong this time like so many times before it, and in an awesome way at that.
Byakko was guess #1 before the hybrid reveal. After the hybrid reveal, the majority of people moved to the Kirin as guess #2. But they also went a step too far and acted like it was an absolute certainty that it was a Kirin (at least on reddit and YouTube); even when it didn't look like one at all. The onomatopoeia associated with Yamato essentially gave away that it was wolf/okami related but I don't expect most One Piece fans outside of Japan (heck, most manga fans) to know how to read katakana.
Old 2021-07-29, 13:33   Link #8
marvelB

First post updated! Wow, interesting throwback there to the Ohara flashback. Poor Robin looked so disappointed that she got fooled, too. Still, it's cool to see her and Brooke getting some more action, though it's a tad unfortunate that the latter is stuck with cleaning up the scrubs (I mean, I guess fighting a living weapon is kinda cool and all, but still). Also, now that Caribou is back, I suppose he can make himself useful now, yeah? For one thing, he should be able to stash Luffy and the Heart Pirates in his body as Momo lifts them back to Onigashima....

Oh, and as far as Yamato's fruit goes, count me as also being pleasantly surprised by it. While I do still think the white tiger would have been more fitting in a thematic sense (what with dragons and tigers being rivals in Asian folklore), the wolf deity is still pretty fitting in of itself. However, I sorta can't help but feel that Kaidou specifically pointing out the wolf as Wano's guardian may count as another blow towards Yamato's chances of joining the Straw-Hats (at least in a permanent capacity)..... but maybe that's just me, lol.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-30, 06:58   Link #9
Theia_Loki

I knew that zoan hybrid form of hers (his?) looked distinctly canine, but I was still willing to entertain that I might have been wrong.

And yeah, it's pretty ironic that Black Maria actually thought she could pull the classic villain's hannibal lecture on Robin even though she already went through that exact same thing back in the CP9 saga from Water 7 to Enies Lobby. Interesting that Black Maria was apparently topless chapters ago, yet here she's wearing a fairly skimpy sarashi for the sake of decency (unless that's something that will be corrected in the volume that will be packed into).
Theia_Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-30, 07:27   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia_Loki View Post
And yeah, it's pretty ironic that Black Maria actually thought she could pull the classic villain's hannibal lecture on Robin even though she already went through that exact same thing back in the CP9 saga from Water 7 to Enies Lobby. Interesting that Black Maria was apparently topless chapters ago, yet here she's wearing a fairly skimpy sarashi for the sake of decency (unless that's something that will be corrected in the volume that will be packed into).
Editors probably intervened. We'll see what they do about giant naked Robin.

We're basically about to watch two giant topless women fight. Oda is exposing his fetishes
Old 2021-07-30, 09:57   Link #11
TURI123456

Question does "Yamato" Devil Fruit included in its name the numbers that were questioned? My meaning is the question that was questioned in "SBS of Volume 59" (the question about "Bartholomew Kuma" Devil Fruit the "Nikyu Nikyu no Mi") about the numbers that have in the names of the Devil Fruit that have in the members of "Straw Hat Pirates".
TURI123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-30, 13:12   Link #12
Galaxian

Spoiler for :
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-31, 23:32   Link #13
itachi-san314

I love seeing Robin and Brook fighting together. And props to marvelB for calling the end of this chapter concerning Momo. Sounded right the second I read your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
So Yamato is basically One Piece’s version of Amaterasu from Okami. I can get behind that. ��
Yea exactly what I thought last chapter too haha. That was one of my favorite ps2 games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Editors probably intervened. We'll see what they do about giant naked Robin.

We're basically about to watch two giant topless women fight. Oda is exposing his fetishes
no complaints here
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote