AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-24, 15:25   Link #141
Haak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I'm actually impressed at how many languages they are trying to put in here, but why the English? Was there an American tourist there or what?
British and American businessmen made a great deal of money in trade and finance in China around this period, if I recall.
Old 2010-04-24, 17:01   Link #142
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finally watched this. I was waiting for more episodes to be out, just in case...

This really does feel like a 1930s Darker than Black, which is a very good thing in my book. I doubt there is going to be a lot of stand alone in this one though, being only 13 episodes. In case, I'm really liking it so far. Good character design (Yukina is very very cute), intriguing plot and interesting characters.

The fact an other "esper" appeared on the ennemies' side makes me hopeful the powers will eventually be explained. The way Kazura talked about the musician and his gift, and from the little flashback we saw in episode 2, it looks like they were born with them. And correct me if I'm wrong, but Aoi is the only one with a time limit, right? The others seem to be able to use their powers as much as they please, though Kazura is reluctant to use his. I'd like to know exactly how long it takes for Aoi's power to "reload".
Old 2010-04-24, 17:06   Link #143
Clarste
Human

Yukina smells flowers before she uses her power (at least sometimes). It's unclear exactly why, but it seems to be another sort of limitation.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 01:39   Link #144
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
....I'm actually impressed at how many languages they are trying to put in here, but why the English? Was there an American tourist there or what?...
At that time, large areas of Shanghai were actually legally under the control of foreign countries: Britain and France in particular. Lots of foreigners lived there and made money trading goods between China and the rest of the world. Shanghai had an international reputation as an exciting and romantic city and was known as the "Paris of the East."
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 26). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru), Ben-To (Hana). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki), Kimi no Iru Machi (Rin). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Blade & Soul (Jin Valel), Soul Eater Not! (Meme), Seven Deadly Sins (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Gangsta (Nina), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy), One-Punch Man (Tornado), Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan (Goura), Hidan no Aria AA (Kirin). 2016 ERASED (Kayo), Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu), Ace Attorney (Mayoi), Tanaka-kun (Rino)....etc.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 05:28   Link #145
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Well, other than how Japan was brutally suppressing its Asian colonies, a whole swath of China and such, they did maintain friendly (or at least on the outside) relations with the West, including America.

Actually, it seemed like Japan was more or less intent on remaining a friendly world power until the hardcore military hawks basically took over the entire government, Hitler-style. Even though Japan has been plenty aggressive in trying to take over its Asian neighbors by roughhousing, using a show of force or using dirty means. From there, it went from Asian-to-Asian violence to Asian-vs-West as well.

None of that has really been openly aimed at the West until the moment in Pearl Harbor. Just shows how much was going on in the Showa era, ever since early 1900's to 1940's. It's really been that long while Japan was on a path for Asian dominance. All the while, it was all subterfuge and political intrigue underneath.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 14:15   Link #146
bigdeath

I don't think this show will get into historical events much at all. It seems after 2 and 3 episodes that Yukina's brother has become the focus of the show. I do wonder what hes up to.
bigdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 17:06   Link #147
LeoXiao
思想工作

This show is a lot like Darker than Black, but it looks to be more interesting plot-wise. The characters are still kinda bland but who knows, that may change.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 00:40   Link #148
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Decided to give the first 3 episodes a try.

I'm still not too sure what exactly Aniplex aims with Anime-no-Chikan. SoraNoWoto focused mostly on individual characterization coupled in a post War/Apocalypse setting between two nations. Night Raid seems to be more of military and geo-political intrigue. At the very least both seem to be rooted on politics and probably war and peace itself.

The series seems episodic in nature with a certain assignment per episode, with probably the brother subplot tying everything together. Given how SnW went I could probably expect them to give a conclusion in the 13 episode run, but with a certain openness in the end since both these shows seem to have a setting that might be rich for exploration.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 01:23   Link #149
bloodraze

If anything, I think Anime-no-Chikara's goal as it's namesake, is to prove that Anime can good as a stand alone without trying to milk already existing material. However, I don't actually see them even giving an effort to take on the anime market. SnW's sales are a sad fact.

Their next attempt is another intriguing one that deals with the supernatural and the unknown. Once again, I'm not too sure if the premise of Occult Academy is marketable but it surely tickles my fantasy on UMAs.

As for Night Raid, I'm pit in between love and hate. I love it for trying to be different from most Spring season entries (the esper powers are debatable though) but kind of hate it for not being impressive enough to generate more discussions. The latter is because I was expecting SnNR to be the new anime of speculah after those glorious SnW threads, but all I got were people complaining about bad mandarin and it being not "otaku pandering". Curses.
bloodraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 02:04   Link #150
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I think the show is off to a great start, though the show's decidedly stoic depiction of that era means it won't quite let its hair down like in Darker than Black, the closest show as I see it.

But man, the battles are ingenious with the various ways the espers use their powers and the esper v esper battles appropriately destroys the boundary of conventional battle and stealth/intel.

Also, characters all seems to be more into their roles as agents rather than the typically bombastic characters in other shows like it, so I guess that may turn off some viewers.

So far so good though.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 04:50   Link #151
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

The whole point to this is to produce pieces of "artsy and original" non-adapted anime for the network. Intellectual properties that they would own.

A lot of anime is adapted from manga and anime, specially the longest and most successful ones. A lot of the writers, directors, and producers have to adapt work not written exclusively for the screen. This gives some "up and coming" animators and writers the chance to get credit for designing original stories and character designs... not adaptations.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 20:06   Link #152
saya_leviathan

Episode 4 is so funny most especially

Spoiler for WTF:
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 22:36   Link #153
bloodraze

WE HAVE GERMAN IN THIS EPISODE!

wtf indeed.
bloodraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 16:43   Link #154
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
. I'm actually impressed at how many languages they are trying to put in here, but why the English? Was there an American tourist there or what?
I watched Empire of the sun on Air Canada last week and it is indeed a truck load of English people in the Shanghai International Settlement

oh well this is DtB without the cheese
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 08:17   Link #155
Haak

Episode 4.

Lol. Okay, I have to admit this episode sucked hard. The only good thing about this episode was the convo they were having before the cat stole Aoi's film. Aoi flat out saying "Japan shouldn't be the ones to decide the future of this country" was just so win.
Old 2010-04-29, 21:30   Link #156
LeoXiao
思想工作

This show had better get its act together fast... and that annoying baozi girl has no place in this anime IMO.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 05:53   Link #157
Yurielvtars
:::

Strange that there is no censorship with this series, like with Hetalia. IMHO much more serious or risky matters are dealt with in Night Raid. It's not a comedy series.

Probably the main concept is that the Sakurai Agency is "above" the government, representing the "right way of thinking".
Old 2010-04-30, 07:26   Link #158
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I was wondering during the episode, is Aoi actually European? There was a line at the German resturant (wonder what new language we'll have next week, lol) that suggested he was either European or had been to Europe and I couldn't tell which it was. And it's interesting to see how the anime is sliding in littler references to the war (Aoi's comment, the Jewish status of the violin player which motivated him to move and forced him to start spying).
Starting to get worried about the pacing however. I'm probably too early, but this doesn't seem like a slice of life show and we have barely a clue what a main plot thread could be (except that it's likely to involve Yukina's brother).
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-30, 08:24   Link #159
Haak

Yeah, I thought he was Europian aswell from that hint. I can't tell his ethnicity from his character design. Maybe he was an immigrant that got shafted back to Japan for work, or a European country is collabortaing with the Japanese government or something.
Old 2010-04-30, 10:46   Link #160
White Manju Bun
Born to make history
*Author

I just started this, on epi 2 at the moment but I about died when I heard Hirata Hiroaki as Isao!! I mean NamiDai and Yoshino Hiroyuki is lovely but throw in Kyōgokudō from Mouryou no Hako and Im sold!

I dont fully understand whats going, since 1) not up on my chinese/japanese/russian history and 2) only on epi 2. But I like the style of this anime. And *cough* Kazura.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote