AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

Old 2004-11-04, 20:39   Link #41
LIQUIDCELL

ALCHEMY is 'protoscientific stew' of chemistry, astrology, mysticism, metallurgy, physics, and religion.

Mosly associated with metallurgy and pharmacology.

Renaissance alchemists were often involved in brass making, gold smithing, and assessing the noble metal content of ore, jewelry, or coins. But they were also fascinated with the idea of transmutation and believed in a sort of infinite mutability of matter. They sought the philosopher's stone--the magical substance for transforming base metals into gold and indefinitely prolonging life.
LIQUIDCELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-04, 23:49   Link #42
sakura_wingz

Send a message via ICQ to sakura_wingz Send a message via MSN to sakura_wingz
yes and nuclear fission involves bombardment using neutrons...
sakura_wingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-07, 15:35   Link #43
Edgewalker
Nani ?

I highly suggest you read this :

Alchemy - the sacred texts

choose for yourself .
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-08, 19:20   Link #44
sakura_wingz

gah... so slow...
Old 2004-11-11, 12:28   Link #45
Renxozuken
Clan Ed

this is the best thread ever i have read in my god damn fucking life dude. i was into tarot and alchemy a year ago and was doing quite a research on it. thanks to u guys information that now i have quite large info on alchemy.

some how and somewhere i sort of encounter a saying that claim that those gold in the past, was not real gold in fact it was pyrite crystal. a kind of fake gold.

sorry for my poor english, was having hectic school day recently . pardon me...
Renxozuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-11, 18:34   Link #46
sakura_wingz

its called fools' gold
Old 2004-12-06, 11:20   Link #47
michicko_chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
Yeah I created one. Their meat is damned tasty.
Your joking right!!!!
michicko_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 11:33   Link #48
michicko_chan

How do u know Alchemy is real...prove it.....
michicko_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 15:28   Link #49
Fei-san
Monkeykyou Sharingan

Quote:
Originally Posted by michicko_chan
How do you know your life is real? Maybe we all live in the matrix.
Anyway mom wanted me to help her beam up a bed
Fei-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 16:18   Link #50
kuroitatsu
Über Alles

Send a message via AIM to kuroitatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by michicko_chan
Look plain and simple the writers for full metal alchemy didnt dream Alchemy up, It really did exist, look in a history book or something man should be around the Renaissance. Its pretty easy to understand that alot of the principles in full metal alchemist where not original, for instance the "Law of conservation" or whatever they called it the people must sacrifice something of equal value to gain something" thats just an adaptation of the "Law of Conservation of matter/energy - Matter/energy is niether destroyed or created it is conserved" - which means during a chemical reaction like creating water all that happens is all the atomic mass of the two atoms are just put together the weight of the Hydrogen and the weight of the Oxygen. Its quite a simple rule actually and it also applies to energy all energy is stored in a chemical reaction , for example food, when you eat somthing the energy that is stored in that food is just transfered from the food to your body its teh energy your body gets from breaking the bonds between the atoms.

(Forgive the bad explanations if you dont get it, i havent taken chemistry in a reallll long time)
kuroitatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 18:21   Link #51
Bit

Although nobody can really be sure about old alchemy, technically, someone in the modern times has. I was told this by a friend o' mine and if I see her again I'll be sure to get the details. from what I remember, some guy used an electron thingy to change one lead particle into a gold particle. Although it's so small, it still happened.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-15, 21:34   Link #52
ooh-zoo-mah-kee
naa woo toe?

Yes, alchemy did exist but its not what it seems like in FMA. Alchemy was the transmuting of basic metals into gold( without the clapping of hands, arrays, blah blah) via boiling them. Also, some alchemists searched for a Philosopher's Stone and with just a simple piece of the stone ( even the size of a hair) can turn ANY metal into gold if mixed. Alchemy practices were actually popular in ancient times.
ooh-zoo-mah-kee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 16:16   Link #53
hand of time

ppl ppl come on don't u know that ppl 2day still use alchemy even i do its cool but my throt usally hurts after words. so pick up the book at borders its chep but good and true
hand of time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-09, 16:08   Link #54
vegetax6

What book would you suggest?
vegetax6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 12:08   Link #55
toshi123

Send a message via MSN to toshi123
would be cool if we could use alchemy here right now and like make fists come from walls haha! our chemistry now a days is so boring and i usually sleep in class
toshi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 14:20   Link #56
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

I found some interesting articles from wikipedia on Alchemy, so here it is!

Alchemy as a proto-science
The common perception of alchemists is that they were pseudo-scientists, crackpots and charlatans, who attempted to turn lead into gold, believed that the universe was composed of the four elements of earth, air, fire, and water, and spent most of their time concocting miraculous remedies, poisons, and magic potions.

This picture is rather unfair. Although some alchemists were indeed crackpots and charlatans, many were well-meaning and intelligent scholars, who were simply struggling to make sense of a subject which, as we now know, was far beyond the reach of their tools. These people were basically "proto-scientists", who attempted to explore and investigate the nature of chemical substances and processes. They had to rely on unsystematic experimentation, traditional know-how, rules of thumb — and plenty of speculative thought to fill in the wide gaps in existing knowledge.

Given these conditions, the mystic character of alchemy is quite understandable: to early alchemists, chemical transformations could only seem like magical phenomena governed by incomprehensible laws, whose potential and limitations they had no way of knowing. Having discovered that a specific procedure could turn an earth-like ore into glistening metal, it was only natural to speculate that some different procedure could turn a metal into another.

At the same time, it was clear to the alchemists that "something" was generally being conserved in chemical processes, even in the most dramatic changes of physical state and appearance; i.e. that substances contained some "principles" that could be hidden under many outer forms, and revealed by proper manipulation. Throughout the history of the discipline, alchemists struggled very hard to understand the nature of these principles, and find some order and sense in the results of their chemical experiments — which were often undermined by impure or poorly characterized reagents, the lack of quantitative measurements, and confusing and inconsistent nomenclature.

In spite of those difficulties, and of many false turns and loops, the alchemists managed to make steady progress in the understanding of the natural world. To them we owe the discovery of many important substances and chemical processes which paved the way for the modern science of chemistry and are still the mainstay of today's chemical and metallurgical industries.
Yazakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 22:15   Link #57
¤ Naruto ¤
Kage Bunshin No Jutsu

Alchemy is an early protoscientific and philosophical discipline combining elements of chemistry, metallurgy, physics, medicine, astrology, semiotics, mysticism, spiritualism, and art. Alchemy has been practiced in Ancient Egypt, India, and China, in Classical Greece and Rome, in the Islamic empire, and then in Europe up to the nineteenth century — in a complex network of schools and philosophical systems spanning at least 2500 years.

Western alchemy has always been closely connected with Hermeticism, a philosophical and spiritual system that traces its roots to Hermes Trismegistus, a syncretic Egyptian-Greek deity and legendary alchemist. These two disciplines influenced the birth of Rosicrucianism, an important esoteric movement of the seventeenth century. In the course of the early modern period, as mainstream alchemy evolved into modern chemistry, its mystic and Hermetic aspects became the focus of a modern spiritual alchemy, where material manipulations are viewed as mere symbols of spiritual transformations.

Today, the discipline is of interest mainly to historians of science and philosophy, and for its mystic, esoteric, and artistic aspects. Nevertheless, alchemy was one of the main precursors of modern sciences, and we owe to the ancient alchemists the discovery of many substances and processes that are the mainstay of modern chemical and metallurgical industries.
¤ Naruto ¤ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 14:31   Link #58
kuroi_neko

hmm... what gets me is that there are people out there who still believe that alchemy was used mostly for turning lead into gold. you must note that very few actually succeed at this feat. Some of the other main purposes of Alchemy was to create medicines to cure illnesses and disease. It was used a lot for medical purposes. And I don't know if this was mentioned before, but most of use have heard about Nicolas Flammel and the Philosopher's Stone.

But I do have a intriguing theory about the egyptians and alchemy but that is not the purpose of my typing this
kuroi_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-13, 15:06   Link #59
Kikaifan
Blazing General

I think you mean 'very few actually attempted.' Obviously none succeeded, or the values of lead and gold would be in equilibrium.

It's worth noting that Chinese alchemy was somewhat different from European and was focused on the attainment of immortality through the consumption of reagents thought to combine in the body to create an undying inner self. Of course, it wasn't as significant in the development of more practical science or medicine because the practicioners usually poisoned themselves so there wasn't any real way to repeat experiments and derive knowledge...
Kikaifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 20:36   Link #60
Laharu
mao de makai

Send a message via AIM to Laharu Send a message via MSN to Laharu
Alchemy totally exists! All the history on it is very interesting.

Alchemy is teh fun!
Laharu is offline   Reply With Quote