AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-01-02, 00:19   Link #1
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
The Great Big Touhou Thread

Considering the origin and influence of this title, I'm really, really surprised that the only Touhou threads out there are mostly concerning the doujin works based upon the series and not the actual games themselves!

So yeah. This is The Great Big Touhou Thread, in which we shall discuss... Touhou. Specifically, the danmaku games, not the derivative works.

I've been playing Touhou for a while, and I really, really, really suck at it, but for some reason I love it all the same.

I've managed to 1CC most of the Windows titles on Easy (hardly something to brag about, I know) but I'm currently determined to work my way through Subterranean Animism on Normal without using any continues. This is not working out too well. =|

want my 1cc plzkthx

So, post about Touhou (the games, not the ships or the artwork or the remixes or any of that stuff) in this here Great Big Touhou Thread.

And especially give me hints on how to not suck at Touhou >.>;

Currently I'm playing Touhou 11, as mentioned above. I have Undefined Fantastic Object but I'm not even going to install the damn thing until I can 1CC Subterranean Animism on Normal. Considering how I've been pretty much stuck with the same issues for months now (though I haven't been practicing much recently) I don't know how well this will work out...

I can't get past Stage 4; mostly because I still haven't mastered all of Parsee's spellcards on Stage 2 and sometimes lose a life unnecessarily there (though usually if I do that, I just start over). The real problem is Stage 3; I just die way too much in that stage. I really should run Stage 3 practice a bunch until I can get it to the point where I'm not dying constantly but I think my tiny display (whoo 8.9" LCD ftl) is hurting me here.

Biggest problem I have is that after an hour or so of playing, my eyes start to get the better of me and get all dry and burn. =| Then I really start dying like crazy, and it's time to pack up for the day.
Old 2010-01-02, 00:34   Link #2
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

SA is definitely harder than UFO IMO. Yuugi just pwnd me hard, and not to mention the two bosses after her is definitely not an easy one >_>;

For UFO though, the girl who keep spamming knuckles and some anchor is annoying >.< but at least for me, it's still easier than SA.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 00:42   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Yuugi's midstage spellcard screws me up; I usually just bomb it and try to make her stop ASAP so I can move on. The sequence after the midstage is where I die a lot, and I also tend to die a lot on Yuugi's second spellcard "Storm Over Mt. Ooe." The big bullets are visually confusing. ><;

The one thing I still can't seem to get properly every time is Parsee's first endstage spellcard, the flower-spam. I don't know why I can't seem to weave in and out of the flowers without dying, but I have so many problems with it, I still die unnecessarily there.

I haven't had much experience with the stage 4 to even really bother talking about Satori.
Old 2010-01-02, 09:43   Link #4
Arkenryu
IRPO Patrolman

Only notable things I've managed to do are EoSD Extra and 1cc EoSD Hard.

Well, I 1cc'd PoFV Lunatic with Aya, but that just felt like I was cheating.
Arkenryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-02, 13:56   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkenryu View Post
Well, I 1cc'd PoFV Lunatic with Aya, but that just felt like I was cheating.
I haven't played PoFV so I don't know what this means. ^^;

I'm going to create a replay of SA stage 3 normal at some point so someone can look at it and tell me wtf I'm doing wrong. =|
Old 2010-01-02, 15:12   Link #6
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
So, post about Touhou (the games, not the ships or the artwork or the remixes or any of that stuff) in this here Great Big Touhou Thread.

And especially give me hints on how to not suck at Touhou >.>;
Admittedly, the game itself doesn't have much thing to discussion, and sooner this thread will join the previous one's state =/.

I can only give you 2 advices based on my experience:
- Practicing, then take a rest for a while (2 or 3 days) when you see there is no progressing.
- Watching others' replay.

Personally, I only watch other people's replay after I 1cc Hard, or when I want to try Lunatic. Usually with practicing only, it's no trouble to 1cc Normal.
If you have trouble observing the whole screen, play it in Window mode.
Old 2010-01-11, 13:50   Link #7
Yaku-Pai
フリテン

Being relatively new to the game, only played for 5 months or so, I was overjoyed when I managed to capture Mokou's Spellcard 201 yesterday with just 8 tries. I love that particular spellcard, it's breath-takingly beautiful!
Yaku-Pai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 06:50   Link #8
velvet
"with you, happiness"

... and I can't even clear PCB on easy unless its Sakuya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell
If you have trouble observing the whole screen, play it in Window mode.
This will actually make things easier? Never thought about it, gonna give it a try.

velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-12, 07:37   Link #9
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet View Post
This will actually make things easier? Never thought about it, gonna give it a try.
I'm not sure myself, but I tend to do better in windowed mode, because I can see the whole screen and timing my movement, instead of depending completely on my reflex.
Old 2010-01-12, 09:34   Link #10
Yaku-Pai
フリテン

Hmm, I do better on full screen, because the holes between bullets are "bigger" and thus easier to dodge/graze.
Old 2010-01-12, 10:57   Link #11
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaku-Pai View Post
Hmm, I do better on full screen, because the holes between bullets are "bigger" and thus easier to dodge/graze.
It's still 1 pixel, and if you nudge, you still move 1 pixel at time, so no different to me.
Old 2010-01-12, 15:13   Link #12
Yaku-Pai
フリテン

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
It's still 1 pixel, and if you nudge, you still move 1 pixel at time, so no different to me.
Yeah. To be honest, I think that the advantage that windowed mode brings is more important than full screen modes. I never had any difficulties with full screen though, expect in Imperishable Night, when fighting Keine. Against her windowed mode really helps.
Old 2010-01-12, 15:26   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

My screen's so tiny anyway I can take the whole playing field in with ease.

Touhou on an 8.9" netbook whoo
Old 2010-01-13, 01:24   Link #14
Seitsuki
Onee!

I find that concentrating on just the area around your sprite and working from there is way easier than trying to take in the entire screen and making up grand strategies, hence full screen works alot better for me. Also allows you to appreciate fully the might of the Gensokyo girls' mini hitbox.
The great big touhou thread needs to get alot bigger >:D lets beat that image thread
Old 2010-01-13, 04:54   Link #15
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
The great big touhou thread needs to get alot bigger > lets beat that image thread
Unless ZUN makes new Touhou games every month, I doubt this thread can be bigger than image thread .
Old 2010-01-13, 05:47   Link #16
jonsmth

Quote:
Specifically, the danmaku games, not the derivative works.
Wait, so we can't even talk about the other Touhou games where ZUN has some involvement in it?

I play in full screen because it's easier to focus (not the in-game focus) that way.

Some patterns are easy enough to dodge that you can stay on the offensive without getting hit. Sometimes, moving around just makes it harder.

Some patterns need god-like reflexes to dodge while being on the offensive or has a random factor where you would get trapped if you stay in one place for too long, so instead of keeping a stream of my own danmaku at the enemy, I look out for the safe areas or big holes in the pattern where I could work my way around.

Playing in windowed mode may help in letting you see the entire screen more easily, but when you have to manuever through some really thick danmaku, a bigger screen would help you focus.

That being said though, I've never finished any Touhou game at all except the top-down view one where Chuugoku is the heroine
jonsmth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 11:47   Link #17
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Controller.
I'm using a PS dual shock controller. I use the analog for movement. Is this a big fault?

Should I try using keyboard?

velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 12:13   Link #18
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I tried using PS3 dual shock controller several times, and the result is not as I expected. Either it's bad, or my hand didn't get used to it. The responding is slow, and I can't nudge as fast as I was when using keyboard. Like, you can't constantly nudging left then right then left when using a controller.

Therefore, giving keyboard several tries is my recommend, based on my experience.
Old 2010-01-13, 12:16   Link #19
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

^
^
o.o; My friends also said that they're using controllers, but I can't imagine how someone can do it with them
Probably because I usually use keyboard to play danmaku...and somehow, I feel as if there's something missing when I tried to use a controller to play this game

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 14:51   Link #20
Yaku-Pai
フリテン

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyvedelta View Post
^
I feel as if there's something missing when I tried to use a controller to play this game
That is exactly the reason why I don't use my PS3 controller to play Touhou. It's just not the same!

Tags
game, ps vita, touhou