AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-07-15, 07:35   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 794 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Damn, didn't notice the whole chapter came out a day earlier than usual! Well, here's the summary anyway, thanks to AP's Redon and Aohige:

-Chapter title is "Sabo's Adventure". The splash page, interestingly enough, shows Doflamingo giving his shades to a flamingo, but his face is still hidden from us readers.

-At Kyros' house, Sabo visits the comatose Luffy one last time before leaving, but insists that the younger brother not be woken up. As it turns out, CP0 and other law enforcement are on their way to the island to arrest the rebel army, so Sabo wants to make himself scarce before they arrive, and suggests Luffy and co. do the same soon enough. The Straw-Hats are surprised by the fact that Luffy had another brother aside from Ace, and Sabo explains that he was originally thought to be dead. He then begins his story....

-As it turned out, on that fateful day when the world noble blew up Sabo's boat, he got rescued by Dragon. However, that incident gave him memory loss. The only reason the army was even able to get his name was because it was on his belongings. Interestingly, despite having amnesia, Sabo still had no intention of returning to his corrupt noble parents. Years later, the RA read the news about the Marineford incident, and upon hearing the name "Ace" and seeing his picture..... Sabo's memories finally come back to him. Unfortunately, the trauma of regaining his memories mingled with the news of Ace's death causes him to pass out in shock.

-After regaining consciousness, he tells Hack and Koala that he has no intention of leaving the RA now that his memories have returned. We then go to two years later, where he decides to search for a certain devil fruit. He encounters Luffy (disguised as "Lucy"), and reveals himself to him. At first, Luffy is skeptical of Sabo's claim to be his brother, but when he mentions Dadan and stealing her sake (for the brothers ritual, most likely), he finally believes him. The two have an emotional reunion, which ends with Luffy giving Sabo permission to take the mera mera fruit.

-Back in the present, as Sabo prepares to leave, he shows a vivre card he made for Luffy, and tears a piece off for himself, giving the rest of it to Zoro. He then exchanges farewells with the Straw-Hats, and tells Hack that he's on his way back (abruptly hanging up on him) before hitching a ride with a pack of crows.

So there's the big answer to Sabo's absence at Marineford..... amnesia! Perhaps a little too convenient, but whatever. At least Oda finally got that explanation out of the way.
Old 2015-07-15, 07:47   Link #2
james0246

ergh, I hate Sabo. Wasting all my time with his ridiculous Saboness. Go crawl in a corner and die already...

And its a murder of crows, not a pack...which should have just pecked him to death.

Whatever, at least he is gone now, but because of how sabo Sabo is (he can really sabo up everything can't he?), of course he got Oda sick or something, delaying the next chapter. Damn you Sabo...
Old 2015-07-15, 07:50   Link #3
marvelB

^Heh, I knew that YOU would love this chapter, James.

Anyways, interesting to note that when Dragon rescued Sabo, he didn't jump into the water to save him, which I think is another good indicator that he's a fruit user....
Old 2015-07-15, 08:01   Link #4
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
ergh, I hate Sabo. Wasting all my time with his ridiculous Saboness. Go crawl in a corner and die already...

And its a murder of crows, not a pack...which should have just pecked him to death.

Whatever, at least he is gone now, but because of how sabo Sabo is (he can really sabo up everything can't he?), of course he got Oda sick or something, delaying the next chapter. Damn you Sabo...
Oh hush, go eat a colorful quirky world or something abstract liminal being of gluttony you, this was a moving chapter.
Old 2015-07-15, 08:13   Link #5
marvelB

BTW, I also find it kinda interesting that Binami Bellamy is one of the people resting at Kyros' house. I'm actually kinda curious as to what sort of closure Oda will give him. Maybe he'll have him join Law's crew? As I recall, he lost his old crew at some point during the timeskip.....
Old 2015-07-15, 08:33   Link #6
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
BTW, I also find it kinda interesting that Binami Bellamy is one of the people resting at Kyros' house. I'm actually kinda curious as to what sort of closure Oda will give him. Maybe he'll have him join Law's crew? As I recall, he lost his old crew at some point during the timeskip.....
did law lose his old crew? i thought they were waiting for him at the next island?

where sanji is currently being "abused" by big mom...
Old 2015-07-15, 08:47   Link #7
marvelB

^No, I was referring to Bellamy, not Law.
Old 2015-07-15, 09:43   Link #8
Slayerx

the amensia thing does feel rather lazy, but atleast it does work as an excuse for why he didn't do anything and why he didn't find Ace and Luffy sooner.

eh I always did wonder if Sabo was a retcon or not... I mean only evidence we had of sabo before Luffy's post war flashback was the "S" on ace's arm; though for all we know that might have originally been nothing more than a quirky character design choice by Oda, and the idea for Sabo might have come later... i've always had trouble connecting to Sabo, both here and back in that flashback; he just felt so shoehorned in. Would have been better if we were given SOMETHING earlier in the series to tell us that there was a third brother even if we didn't know the details... kinda like how we heard the name "dadan" from garp a long time before we saw her.

Also seeing Sabo on top of those crows just feels "off" they seem way too small to be able to carry him like that.

Quote:
He could join up with Barto, they did have a moment sorta.
Old 2015-07-15, 09:50   Link #9
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Meh, chapter wasted. I'd rather seen the bounties upgraded and reaction from the world first. I didn't need to see Sabo again, aren't Zoro and the group worried about Sanji's?

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2015-07-15, 10:40   Link #10
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

any chance bellamy join the SH?
Old 2015-07-15, 11:24   Link #11
imza

Another really good chapter. I actually like the amnesia plot line, it's the only way it would really make sense why Sabo would not be there. I'll be curious to see if Sabo will come back soon (I hope he does), I want to see Luffy as well as the rest of the crew's (Sanji, Nami, etc) reaction to him.

Oh and I doubt they are worried about Sanji right as they don't know that big mom intercepted them yet.
Old 2015-07-15, 11:42   Link #12
The Small One

Could have gotten a better explanation than amnesia, but it works out okay I guess.
But Luffy's brothers sure tend to depart fast. :-)
Old 2015-07-15, 11:57   Link #13
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Could have gotten a better explanation than amnesia, but it works out okay I guess.
But Luffy's brothers sure tend to depart fast. :-)
I really can't think of a better explanation... sure there are other reason for why he wouldn't have been there to try and rescue Ace but i really can't think of another reason for why he would not contact Luffy or Ace during all these years...
Old 2015-07-15, 12:43   Link #14
marvelB

As far as the amnesia goes, I ultimately don't have a problem with it, but I do still think it would've been kinda interesting if it were Sabo's duties/responsibilities as Dragon's right hand were what prevented him from rushing to Ace's side before the skip, as I speculated in past threads. Like maybe a sort of "needs of the many are more important than needs of the few" personal moral conflict, I guess. But then again, considering the clash of ideals we saw between Akainu and Fujitora last chapter, Oda probably felt that was all the moral conflict we needed for the time being, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
He could join up with Barto, they did have a moment sorta.
Yeah, Bart's also a possibility, now that you mention it. But I guess Law came to my mind first since he and the dachshund hyena are both North Blue pirates with a past connection to Doflamingo. That, and Law didn't seem to have that many people in his crew (there's Bepo, Jean Bart, those two guys Shachi and Penguin, and..... uh, who else? ). But yeah, I can also see him hanging with Bart since he protected him at the coliseum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
any chance bellamy join the SH?
Reeeaaallly doubting that. Not only is Bellamy not really distinctive enough to be a candidate, but his DF power is darn near identical to Luffy's! I'd say his chances of joining are about as high as any generic Nami clone of any given arc!
Old 2015-07-15, 13:11   Link #15
itachi-san314

Quote:
As far as the amnesia goes, I ultimately don't have a problem with it, but I do still think it would've been kinda interesting if it were Sabo's duties/responsibilities as Dragon's right hand were what prevented him from rushing to Ace's side before the skip, as I speculated in past threads. Like maybe a sort of "needs of the many are more important than needs of the few" personal moral conflict, I guess. But then again, considering the clash of ideals we saw between Akainu and Fujitora last chapter, Oda probably felt that was all the moral conflict we needed for the time being, heh.
Honestly, I loved the amnesia. It was the exact type of reason I've wanted to explain why Sabo didn't help Ace. I think it would have been interesting for Oda to go with that idea where Sabo had some sort of duty, but I like this reason better. It seems obvious, but it also fits perfectly. I also liked how Oda mashed up the flashbacks in that montage of Sabo's realization. Like aohige said, I found this chapter pretty moving. I like Sabo a lot more now, not that I ever disliked him, I just needed Oda to mention why he didn't try to save Ace.
Old 2015-07-15, 13:19   Link #16
P_Dezz

Can we stop with the new crewmembers already? Why would you people want more stupid fights, or more worthless sob backstories before the main fight? They only person that makes sense joining the strawhats would be a fishman. They have all aspects covered, except for maybe a logia user.
Old 2015-07-15, 13:24   Link #17
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dezz View Post
Can we stop with the new crewmembers already? Why would you people want more stupid fights, or more worthless sob backstories before the main fight? They only person that makes sense joining the strawhats would be a fishman. They have all aspects covered, except for maybe a logia user.
QQ moar plz.

TBH, While in a way this chapter information was needed in Sabo's case, I'd rather something else instead for the time being, Though I'm not a fan of present Sabo no matter the circumstance of his absence.

I guess we see more OP in two weeks time. Stay happy everybody.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Old 2015-07-15, 14:52   Link #18
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dezz View Post
They only person that makes sense joining the strawhats would be a fishman. They have all aspects covered, except for maybe a logia user.
I disagree about having all aspects covered. I'm not saying either of these people will become SHs, but Viola and Barty have unique and very useful powers to add to the mix. Bellamy is just a weak Luffy though. I don't care much about him.

As far as fishmen go, I think it's a given that Jimbei will join at some point. He's already an honorary member in Luffy's mind.
Old 2015-07-15, 15:29   Link #19
P_Dezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
I disagree about having all aspects covered. I'm not saying either of these people will become SHs, but Viola and Barty have unique and very useful powers to add to the mix. Bellamy is just a weak Luffy though. I don't care much about him.

As far as fishmen go, I think it's a given that Jimbei will join at some point. He's already an honorary member in Luffy's mind.
They have enough members as it is. Brook aside from being very unique, has been kind of useless, since Thriller Bark.
Old 2015-07-15, 15:54   Link #20
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Unless I'm missing something here, I don't buy this amnesia excuse. Didn't the revolutionary army get the newspaper notifying the world about Ace's execution in 1 week's time? Wouldn't that have triggered Sabo's memory of Ace to come back well before his death, and thus enabled him to go to Marineford to try and rescue him? Either that newspaper didn't have a picture of Ace to help Sabo regain his memory of him (highly unlikely), or the revolutionary army never got that newspaper at all (also highly unlikely). And you'd think that the revolutionary army and people everywhere would be talking about Ace's execution and the repercussions of the war that would soon happen, so Sabo would definitely be very intrigued as to who the hell this Ace guy everyone keeps going on and on about is and want to find out.