Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-06-24, 18:39   Link #81
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I kind of agree.

Personally, Tales of Vesperia reminds me of Tales of the Abyss... Sure, it's being made by the same team, but such comparisons go all the way up to character design. (The hero and the heroine look like a "reversed" Luke and Tear; there's a Guy lookalike who reminds me of Asch for some reason, etc.) But for a guy like me who loves Tales of the Abyss, this isn't bad at all.

But my expectations are higher now. I hope to be pleasantly surprised in this next (current) gen iteration, and it has to break new ground somewhere.

JRPGs are everywhere now, but I can't help feel that they lack that special something. Probably too many rehashed ideas here and there, but it has been the same more or less long ago. And yet, the best generations for JRPGs for me were the SNES and (especially) the PS1 days.

They do designed by the same guy, you know, The GREAT KOSUKE FUJISHIMA.

Those who don't know him, he's the mangaka of Ah! My Goddess and You Under Arrest!! and creator of EX-Driver.

He also did alot of Character Designs and is consider one of the best videogame character designer around. Most of games that he did character desings for ends up to be big sellers in Japan and have cult-following.

He videogame work is mostly known for Sakura Taisen(Wars) series [I-V + off-shoots], and Tales series [Symphonia, Abyss, Vesperia, and Phantasia, the very first Tales game] He was suppose to be the character desinger for Destiny as well but was tighted up with Sakura Taisen series at time.

and if by now you did't figure it out, yes, I'm a Fujishima fan-boy who is an avid AMG reader and Sakura Taisen fan and played all the videogames he was part off except Gungrave.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 00:23   Link #82
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
They do designed by the same guy, you know, The GREAT KOSUKE FUJISHIMA.
Well, duh. Hence why I criticized it for being reminiscent of something before. But it's not just about the same artist doing the same job.

"Long-haired dude and some girl dressed in a pretty military uniform"... that kind of thing. A simple and minor comparison, but it's enough for me to be worth mentioning. Kind of like saying that Tetsuya Nomura's designs are becoming too formulaic in nature.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 09:51   Link #83
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

The first Tales of game didn't have Kosuke Fujishima, as far as I know. Only the remakes did.
Old 2008-06-25, 18:27   Link #84
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
The first Tales of game didn't have Kosuke Fujishima, as far as I know. Only the remakes did.
The original idea (novel?), "Tale Phantasia", where Tales of Phantasia was based off, didn't have Fujishima draw the character design, yes.

Tales of Phantasia for Super Famicon, the first game in the series, did in fact have Fujishima Kousuke for character illustrations.

Wikipedia quote.

Quote:
The game is based on the novel Tale Phantasia, written by the game's total programmer Yoshiharu Gotanda. However, Namco changed many aspects of the game's marketing. This included changing the name of the game from Tale Phantasia to Tales of Phantasia, sparking a protest from Gotanda. Other changes included the removal of virtually the entire Dhaos backstory (which was re-inserted through later side stories and radio dramas), changing the names of every playable character, and abandoning sprite artist Yoshiaki Inagaki's original character designs in favor of redesigns from mangaka Kōsuke Fujishima.
Inagaki's original designs:

http://members.at.infoseek.co.jp/retorono310/COLOR.html

Picture of the SFC Phantasia, which is Fujishima no matter how you look at it.

Last edited by Asamidori; 2008-06-25 at 18:39.
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 00:21   Link #85
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
Wasn't talking about just jRPGs.

But it's funny you ask that, I can't remember the last time I played a good jRPG.Big or small.
If you don't like the genre, then you don't like the genre. I can't remember the last time I played a good FPS, because I hated every last one of them. The gameplay is monotonous at best and there seems to be an unfortunate trend towards nauseatingly "hyper-realistic" graphics (seeing your gun bouncing forever as you run gets old as well). I tend to avoid conversations about them though, because I realize that bashing the whole genre is meaningless. Some people just enjoy different things.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 20:31   Link #86
Snuffle
likes cute things

Excuse me for not reading anything in this topic, I just have a quick question that I hope someone can kindly answer .

Is there any info if Tales of Vesperia is coming to 360 only or will there be a future ps3 release?

I ask this cause I'm yet to get either of these systems due to not having any/much games I would like to play... I'm leaning towards ps3 now because of Disgaea3 and Burst Limit , and other rpg games that are yet to come out .
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 21:21   Link #87
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

It's probably gonna get ported to PS3 later on (like Trusty Bell), but for now, 360 exclusive.
Old 2008-06-26, 21:44   Link #88
Z3120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
Is there any info if Tales of Vesperia is coming to 360 only or will there be a future ps3 release?
I wouldn't be optimistic about a PS3 release since I don't think Eternal Sonata is a good indicator of Vesperia being only a timed exclusive. But, if I were to put my money on it, I wouldn't be surprised if it went to the PS3 if you consider Tales of Symphonia - originally a GC title but was later ported to the PS2 as a Japanese exclusive (the U.S. never saw the PS2 version).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle
I'm leaning towards ps3 now because of Disgaea3 and Burst Limit
Don't forget about Cross Edge. I think I might buy a PS3 for that. lol
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 10:29   Link #89
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
Well, duh. Hence why I criticized it for being reminiscent of something before. But it's not just about the same artist doing the same job.

"Long-haired dude and some girl dressed in a pretty military uniform"... that kind of thing. A simple and minor comparison, but it's enough for me to be worth mentioning. Kind of like saying that Tetsuya Nomura's designs are becoming too formulaic in nature.

But you have to have long hair in order to cut it later on during the story.... I say it's more story's fault than artist's cause most most character designers designs their character based on story description and the script not vice-versa. Besides, most of Fujishima's male lead characters are short, stubby-haired guy both game design wise or manga wise just ask Lloyd Irving, Oogami Ichiro and Morisato Keichii.

BTW, As much as I love Fujishima's work, I have to admit, The dude just CAN'T draw guys with long hair unless they are tied up in pony tail. His long-haired male just seems off to me some how. I guess he draws guy's hair the same way he draws girls hair so their hairline all ends up pretty famine looking. But his short stubby/spiky haired guys all looks pretty cool though.

I first notice this was during Ah My Goddess, when Keichii was long-haired due to some magic backlash for a short time and he looked like crap until Fujishima draw him with a tied up hair, ponytail style. But on the other hand, he draws some of the most stunning long-haired girls.
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-27, 10:42   Link #90
Dingo
The polyphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
If you don't like the genre, then you don't like the genre. I can't remember the last time I played a good FPS, because I hated every last one of them. The gameplay is monotonous at best and there seems to be an unfortunate trend towards nauseatingly "hyper-realistic" graphics (seeing your gun bouncing forever as you run gets old as well). I tend to avoid conversations about them though, because I realize that bashing the whole genre is meaningless. Some people just enjoy different things.
Oh we agree, FPSs are rather stale nowadays! but that has nothing to do with the monstrosity that are jRPGs.People enjoy different things, yes, but there is a limit to what you can call good or enjoyable.

Kind of like dragon quest fans.Don't you just burst out laughing whenever someone compares DQ for the better with another jRPG?

Last edited by Dingo; 2008-06-27 at 10:53.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 05:59   Link #91
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

New trailer up on official site, Nico and YT link:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3886431
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk0jaqoQX28

Ring A Bell arrange = pretty good

The story is getting interesting too off the things said in the trailer... Estelle's power is poisonous?
Old 2008-07-07, 10:17   Link #92
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It's been ages since I've played a JRPG, so I'm definitely looking forward to this. Even better since it's going to be on the 360 (The only console that I have)

As long as they give me the option of keeping the Japanese voice acting, as well as english subtitles, I've got nothing to complain.

P.S - Was the release date mentioned yet?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 11:52   Link #93
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

JP August 7, NA supposedly August 19.

So far the word is that NA version will NOT have dual audio.
Old 2008-07-07, 12:46   Link #94
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
As long as they give me the option of keeping the Japanese voice acting, as well as english subtitles, I've got nothing to complain.
It's been said that there won't be Dual Audio.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 14:27   Link #95
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
It's been said that there won't be Dual Audio.
This was also said for the Naruto Game, Yakuza 3 and LO, and we all know what happened 3 months after their releases....^^
bahamut zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-07, 15:06   Link #96
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
This was also said for the Naruto Game, Yakuza 3 and LO, and we all know what happened 3 months after their releases....^^
I don't see it happening either way. First there's the issue of whether there's space on the disk for it. Then there's the fact that They have to pay Royalties to the Japanese VA's if they do Dual Audio and I don't think they'd risk it because although Tales is pretty popular its never really been that big of a Seller in America.
Old 2008-07-07, 21:52   Link #97
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
although Tales is pretty popular its never really been that big of a Seller in America.
Tales of Symphonia.
Old 2008-07-07, 21:53   Link #98
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamidori View Post
Tales of Symphonia.
Okay sorry I forgot to mention the one exception and the sales of ToS were good but they weren't that amazing, plus I still think it had something to do with the lack of good JRPGs on the Gamecube, there were a few that were good but not many.
Old 2008-07-07, 21:57   Link #99
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

ToS's sales is like around 500k in NA? ToS's GC and PS2 version combined sales in Japan was around 450k or something like that.

I would consider a JRPG that was able to sell 500k copies in NA, without Square Enix in their name, to be an amazing sales.
Old 2008-07-07, 22:04   Link #100
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asamidori View Post
ToS's sales is like around 500k in NA? ToS's GC and PS2 version combined sales in Japan was around 450k or something like that.

I would consider a JRPG that was able to sell 500k copies in NA, without Square Enix in their name, to be an amazing sales.
I'm not saying that its not very good sales all i'm saying is that generally "Tales of" games don't tend to do too good in NA they usually do okay but not amazing. Symphonia is the only exception. Though Symphonia's popularity can be held on count of many things including what I said in my previous post.

Tags
rpg