AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Episode 26 Rating
Perfect 10 61 37.65%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 43 26.54%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 17.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 9.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.47%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.85%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 1.85%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.85%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-03, 17:46   Link #141
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Which means they already had the animation for that scene, so they threw in the crappy artwork on purpose?
Old 2006-10-03, 19:42   Link #142
Keiichi no Hibi
THIS. IS WHO I AM.

Send a message via AIM to Keiichi no Hibi
Pretty much yeah

I don't think any animation could be THAT bad on purpose XD;
Old 2006-10-03, 22:36   Link #143
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiichi no Hibi
Pretty much yeah

I don't think any animation could be THAT bad on purpose XD;
Maybe Studio Deen effed up and realized they'd let all the animators have the same vacation days, so they had to get the janitor to fill in the gaps.
Old 2006-10-03, 23:15   Link #144
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergol
I'm rather reminded of a friend of mine who, after seeing the Peter Jackson "Lord Of The Rings" trilogy, told me that he was disappointed and was going to wait for a "definitive" film version of "LOTR" to come out. After all, he said, there was so much that was left out from the books.

"Dude", I responded, "if three four-hour-long movies aren't "definitive" enough for you..."
I absolutely understand what you're saying, but my beef in particular is that we've only finished 6 of the 8 stories/games.

We know the story's not done yet.

To spin off the LOTR analogy, it would be like cutting off the movie at the end of the battle of Minas Tirith (the city that was all-white in the movie) and abandoning the final scenes at Sauron's lair.

The story isn't done yet. We've already spent twelve hours watching this story unfold, might as well put in that last hour to see the final conclusion.
Old 2006-10-04, 13:57   Link #145
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
I absolutely understand what you're saying, but my beef in particular is that we've only finished 6 of the 8 stories/games.

We know the story's not done yet.

To spin off the LOTR analogy, it would be like cutting off the movie at the end of the battle of Minas Tirith (the city that was all-white in the movie) and abandoning the final scenes at Sauron's lair.

The story isn't done yet. We've already spent twelve hours watching this story unfold, might as well put in that last hour to see the final conclusion.

Well, to empathize with the LOTR fan in the analogy, it's also a bit like cutting out lots of really good key dialogue (zOMG Eowyn vanquishing the Witch-King, or just about anything with Faramir or Denethor) and leaving out a really important big chunk of the conclusion (Scouring of the Shire...*cries*), but taken to greater extremes, as DE(E)N is no Peter Jackson (who at least delivered amazing stuff anyway)...
Old 2006-10-04, 19:16   Link #146
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
never got a chance to post after i watched it but i loved the ending i loved the whole series one of the best this year if not ever. i wish more animes were as well written and as creepy as this one
Old 2006-10-04, 20:49   Link #147
Nergol

rai/ayu;

I totally understand where you're coming from. But a standard TV season in Japan is 26 episodes. DEEN doesn't make the rules - it just has to play by them. The two options were:

1) Not show all the arcs, leave a little bit of a cliffhanger, and hope the ratings are good enough to justify another season, or

2) Give horrible short shrift to the arcs, cut out reams of important exposition, and generally make a crappy show, but get everything in.

Generally, DEEN chose the former, which was in my opinion very much the right choice. Yes, the anime did not go as deep as the game, but it couldn't. The formats are different. It just wouldn't work - same as why Peter Jackson couldn't include everything from the LOTR novels in the movies. He would have ended up with three eight-hour-long, extremely boring movies. One format does not translate easily into another. Something has to give. That's just how it is. The fact that the Higurashi anime was good, compelling, and enjoyable says that they made just about the right choices in what had to give way, and where.
Old 2006-10-13, 23:06   Link #148
Fishbait

.......So I watched it

25-26 just now

And...

Wow

Amazing final scenes for 26, and the end was even crazier

So in my wildest insanity...

Spoiler:

That's the best I can come up as an Anime-only person =\ Maybe I should go read some tips...
Old 2006-10-19, 21:32   Link #149
yakuri-moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergol View Post
Yes, the anime did not go as deep as the game, but it couldn't. The formats are different. It just wouldn't work - same as why Peter Jackson couldn't include everything from the LOTR novels in the movies. He would have ended up with three eight-hour-long, extremely boring movies. One format does not translate easily into another. Something has to give. That's just how it is. The fact that the Higurashi anime was good, compelling, and enjoyable says that they made just about the right choices in what had to give way, and where.
I completely agree. What one reads from books and what actually appears in the movie screen are two completely different things. There is some stuff that works well in one format only, and some in the other. I don't go listening to music while reading a book, mostly because I don't pay attention to it, I'm busy reading.

For example in Higurashi games, you can see the text changing colors to show the mood of the characters. Complete narrations or thoughts sound cool in the game but are cheesy in the anime (I've read some posts saying sth similar to this).

I'm actually glad the anime doesn't show the last two game episodes, because that way I can get the games and practice my japanese. After all THE original story is the game; what better than getting the ending in its original format? (sorry for the people who won't play/won't or can't buy/are lazy-asses who won't get the ending asides reading in this forum)
Old 2006-10-20, 10:52   Link #150
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

LOTR isn't a very good analogy since film audiences have a much shorter attention span than anime viewers. Considering DEEN's track history, the last two chapters would've taken, at most, 12 episodes? That's a 38-episode anime, which is by no measurement considered a long anime series.

I would even suggest that they may finish the series in another season or make a few OVAs. Especially with the way they ended it.
Old 2006-10-20, 11:24   Link #151
MrZombie

I do have to agree. Deen should certainly make OAVs for the finally two arcs, but I'm almost certain they won't.
Old 2006-10-20, 16:35   Link #152
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

as i could understand with several comments from gamers about animated arcs according their respective game chapter, both final chapter are way too big to make them as "OVA", or it would the worst squeechy lore compression ever.
they would need a season of 12-13 or 26 for them (preferably 26, avoiding some... butchering for minagoroshi and matsuribayashi).

i don't know how popular was the anime in japan, but it would be a bit surprising if they try to animate the remaining arcs, since there should be an anouncement by the time the show ended (fortunately, the end was open... let's hope some miracle like... kyoAni remake? XD)
Old 2006-10-21, 03:32   Link #153
Icehawk

With the ending of the anime, I simply cannot see them NOT finnishing this series. It would simply be too, well, wrong.... Hell even Berserk has a more complete ending then this and that is quite startling as I didnt think anything could top that series for incompleteness.

I must say however that I have already for the most part, spoiled myself through searching online (Say what you will, but I have more important things to spend my money on and put my time and effort into and so buying the game chapters and waiting for translations of them is simply not ever gonna happen with me, plus I find the artstyle of the game cheesy and way out of place for a serious and great story such as this IMO. The anime is far superior in that regard atleast and has an excellent style.), however, I do still have a few minor questions that I'd like to see answered and hell being spoiled has only made me want to see the last two chapters animated even more since they would just be so kickass to watch, hell, just thinking about watching Minagoroshi-hen play out makes me all tingly .
Old 2006-11-04, 04:52   Link #154
Khym Chanur

Even if the cops couldn't use their guns because of the gasoline fumes, why didn't any of them try to climb up onto the roof? They could quickly try to find something in the building to act as a shield, then have one of them go up on the roof with it so they can gang up two-on-one on Rena.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno_the_sinner View Post
Actually, I meant I thought that Rika might've used the syringe during her confrontation with Rena in 26. I just find it a little hard to believe that Rena could be saved by friendship alone when even Keiichi couldn't back in Onikakushi.
I get the impression that that was supposed to be the point (although that point might have been lost in the transition from game to anime, I can't remember). It was a miracle that Keiichi's words were able to get through to Rena. It was a miracle that Keiichi was able to remember what had happened in a previous time-loop. Witnessing those two back-to-back miracles yanked Rika out of her fatalism and gave her the hope that fueled her attempts at really forging a happy ending in the nex time loop.
Quote:
In an odd way, I think the low-budget animation was actually kind of appropriate. It added to the "low-budget shiny-happy harem show gone terribly wrong" atmosphere of it.
Hee! Yeah, I loved the contrast between surface fluffyness of the show and the horror underneath. "One guy with four cute girls, playing games and getting into arguments, la la la la-- HOLY SHIT!!"
Quote:
Yes, there are a lot of questions left unanswered. That's what Season 2 is for.
The 26 episodes of the anime covered the first 6 out of 8 games. They couldn't strecth out the last two games to cover 26 episodes unless they created several "filler" arcs/worlds/chapters, and given how awful normal filler episodes are, filler for a complex and strange series like Higurashi... *shudder* Gah, I don't even want to think about it.
Old 2006-11-04, 08:30   Link #155
Supergrunch
Tegenaria gigantea

Send a message via MSN to Supergrunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khym Chanur View Post
The 26 episodes of the anime covered the first 6 out of 8 games. They couldn't strecth out the last two games to cover 26 episodes unless they created several "filler" arcs/worlds/chapters, and given how awful normal filler episodes are, filler for a complex and strange series like Higurashi... *shudder* Gah, I don't even want to think about it.
They could do Minagoroshi, Matsuribayashi, Taraimawashi, Tsukiotoshi, Miotsukushi... as taken from the PS2 game, but not animated in that order. If they wanted any more, they could always do Onisarashi and Yoigoshi.
Old 2006-11-04, 09:31   Link #156
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Even if the cops couldn't use their guns because of the gasoline fumes, why didn't any of them try to climb up onto the roof? They could quickly try to find something in the building to act as a shield, then have one of them go up on the roof with it so they can gang up two-on-one on Rena.
Ooishi was forced to pull back their forces, because the school could explode at ANY moment.
Quote:
I get the impression that that was supposed to be the point (although that point might have been lost in the transition from game to anime, I can't remember). It was a miracle that Keiichi's words were able to get through to Rena. It was a miracle that Keiichi was able to remember what had happened in a previous time-loop. Witnessing those two back-to-back miracles yanked Rika out of her fatalism and gave her the hope that fueled her attempts at really forging a happy ending in the nex time loop.
not really : as we could see in tsumihoroboshi-hen, rena was not that frenzy. also she got enough time to realize what she was doing with her friends.
keiichi was under a rush of stress : his paranoia was fast and furious, rather being slow and reasoned like rena's paranoia.

the fact that Keiichi could stop rena was indeed a huge improvement and cheer rika up, since one of the 3 rules was defeated.
Quote:
Hee! Yeah, I loved the contrast between surface fluffyness of the show and the horror underneath. "One guy with four cute girls, playing games and getting into arguments, la la la la-- HOLY SHIT!!"
i don't think the contrast comes from the "low budget" point, but the character design itself.
with some work, the animation could be smoother, the colours could be brighter etc.
not to mention that we could avoid thoses "ZOMFG, UBER DISTORSIONNED FACE, AMARITE?".
seriously, it is just like it was said on this forum, we could compare it with minagoroshi poem, especially this :

The third time, disgust is overwhelmed into painfulness.
But by the seventh time, this all becomes a farce comedy.

3 memorable scenes :
-Shion with the ladder (ep. 7 & 21)
-Shion using a whip against her onibaba (ep. 19)
-Rena smashing Mion's head with the reversed edge of her cleaver (ep. 26)

Quote:
trust us... the game is so full of stuff that the 2 last chapters would be able to cover 26... (minagoroshi prologue is itself enough to cover like 5 whole minutes...)
Old 2006-11-05, 00:37   Link #157
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
There are 8 games, total.

Maybe if it had been spread out 4 in the first season, 4 in the second season?

But that would require a commitment to two seasons in advance, so I can see why they didn't go that way.

I'm about to embark on the manga.
After buying the only volume Kinokuniya had in stock (Onisarashi-hen, vol 2), to my dismay, the manga has no furigana.

Wish me luck...
Old 2006-11-05, 03:29   Link #158
Fallacy
;n;

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
I'm about to embark on the manga.
After buying the only volume Kinokuniya had in stock (Onisarashi-hen, vol 2), to my dismay, the manga has no furigana.

Wish me luck...
What about not having volume one?

And here's something which I thought made the situation so much more comical.
Old 2006-11-14, 04:33   Link #159
The Bloodlust Kid
Needs a better screenname

Send a message via AIM to The Bloodlust Kid
I finally watched the whole series and I must say, as a whole this series was impressive.

The most impressive chapters were Onikakushi and Watanagashi as they did something horror movies fail to do for me in the past few years: creep me out enough that I can't walk outside at night alone.

I do enjoy puzzles and this definitely was a good one.
I bet that if this gets really popular, Hollywood would probably just rape the whole thing?

Question about the games. Is it even possible to get something near a "Game Over" since I keep hearing that (damn I forgot his name, the police officer in the 4th arc) has high chances of dying.
I'm just wondering how much interactivity is involved. If it was something like Phoenix Wright, perhaps there's a chance that it'll be brought over to the states? *shrugs* Oh well.
Old 2006-11-14, 10:24   Link #160
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

First, keep in mind that the "game" is in fact a Visual Novel, meaning you are simply reading text, and you hear the BGM, sounds and you see the BG and the characters CG.

you don't have any choice to do at all (except for 1 tips, but it doesn't change anything at all)

you can consider it as a simple novel, with pictures and sounds.

so in fact, there isn't really a game over, except if you consider it as a "failed" June 1983.

there is no interactivity at all. so you are in fact reading each chapter one after another, and meanwhile, you are probably creating your own theories according the information you got from each chapter.