AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-11, 19:00   Link #61
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I was only joking about Bunshichi. I thought that was obvious, but maybe not... 8)

No, Tenjou Tenge doesn't have a singular "main character" in the same vein as Air Gear or other manga series because Tenjou Tenge is more of a combination of several separate stories over a period of time, rather than a single, coherent and united chronicle.

The Past Arc's protagonists were Shin, Mitsuomi and Maya. The Present Arc focuses on Souichiro and Aya, while the Ancient Arc was dedicated to Souhaku and, in some ways, to Ichiyou.

If there is a single character that makes all these stories flow with a single purpose, I'd say that Maya is the closest to being such a person. But even in her case, she acts in more of a supporting observer character kind of role. Certainly Maya is the most colorful of the characters, the one I personally am rooting for the most, so in my personal opinion, she ought to be the main character. But objectively, she is not.

However, it is amusing that if you consider the narrator, the person from who's point of view the story is being told, then the narrator of the Present Arc is Masataka, the narrator of the Past Arc is Tawara and the narrator of the Ancient Arc is Reiki. You make your own conclusions based on that. 8)
Old 2006-08-11, 19:14   Link #62
kujoe
from head to heel

I kind of figured you were kidding, but you never know...

True, there really isn't a main character here so to speak, but I was thinking along the lines of central characters. Some are more prominent than others, while some are just as cool playing supporting roles.

As for the narrator thing, people sort of assumed that Masataka should be the main character based on the fact that he's the narrator. But there's more than one narrator in Tenjo Tenge. And as we all know, there are lot of stories that posit the narrator as one who tells the story of someone else, and the same seems to be true for this manga. The past arc which is about Shin, Mitsuomi and co. is told by Bunshichi, while Reiki speaks of another past wherein Ichiyou, Aya and Souhaku are quite central to that arc. The present arc is told by Masataka, and he's speaking of events about this "strongest" that's about to appear...

All these flashbacks always seem to correspond to certain significant characters and their impact in the story
Old 2006-08-17, 19:56   Link #63
LordSilent

At what chapter and volumes does the anime(non OVA) end at in the manga?
Old 2006-08-18, 05:53   Link #64
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSilent
At what chapter and volumes does the anime(non OVA) end at in the manga?
Given that the anime version kinda ****'d it up... it's not entirely clear-cut.

But anyway... in the manga, the day after the big flashback begins in vol 8 (chapter 47). Ie, if you want to find out what happens next in the manga, I'd suggest starting from there, though it overlaps with the last TV ep somewhat.

Latest manga chapter is 96, with 97 due out in a few days...
Old 2006-08-18, 15:27   Link #65
LordSilent

Thanks, I guess I'll just read from the beginning since they are a bit different.
Old 2006-08-19, 03:51   Link #66
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

And thay way you won't miss any of the great fanservice

http://icandoit.mybrute.com - fight me !!
Old 2006-08-21, 04:12   Link #67
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

woah 97. i have no idea what's going on. MrProphet could you tell me please?

Old 2006-09-04, 18:59   Link #68
Ferret593151903
Rumina-Kun

Send a message via AIM to Ferret593151903 Send a message via MSN to Ferret593151903
Sorry this may be alittle off topic but is this series going to continued?
Old 2006-09-04, 21:13   Link #69
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

Yes yes, the series is still going. Though it looks like a completely different story now .

I was really addicted to Tenten, I loved/hated all the characters (seriously, some of them are a bit twisted, for example, Mitsuomi clearly scares me even if he's a kind of good guy ).

But I hate the last past arc. It's so convoluted and messy and I don't care about those "new" characters.
My other problem is that even if I'm used to fanservice and violence, Oh!Great introduced some torture scenes that really disturbs me recently (the fat man...*shivers*). I'm not a prude but it's a bit too much now, it makes me hate that new part even more.
Old 2006-09-19, 13:52   Link #70
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

so it's time for this again. and poor Nagi Oh!Great could've given him a better looking eyepatch. and whatever happened to that hot chick with killer legs

Old 2006-09-19, 13:59   Link #71
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Well...

1) No resultion to Nagi vs. Inue.
2) Nagi has a silly haircut. Can someone say "Shin wannabe"? Really, Oh! Great, I know that you are going for Deep Symbolism here, but come on, be more subtle...
3) Aya has a totally new character design. The haircut, the look... it's all changed!

On the other hand.

1) Finally! The Tournament is coming!
2) The final arc really did begin.
3) Bob is back. Masa is back. Pretty much everyone except Makiko, Ishiyumi and Shizuru is back.
4) Maya is alive! Yay!

Another ambivalent-feelings-inducing chapter, in other words. Typical Oh! Great. 8)
Old 2006-09-19, 14:46   Link #72
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

yeah i thought something was different about Aya.

so can you tell me what's going on in the last few pages?

Old 2006-09-19, 14:51   Link #73
kujoe
from head to heel

A small time skip seems to have happened. A few days seems to have passed since the last chapter, which sucks. We know next nothing as to what really happened between Nagi and Inue.

Moreover, I would have to say that Nagi really needed a haircut. But yes, this one still deserved a "WTH?!" just because it happened. As silly as it was, his old hairstyle was like a trademark of his.

Aya's new hairstyle isn't really much of an issue with me. It isn't as drastic as what Nagi has now.

The one that's truly interesting in this chapter is what happens at the end of it. It seems Souhaku is still in there somewhere, but I'm not sure. Aya also uses her Dragon's Eye while all of that is happening as well.
Old 2006-09-19, 15:07   Link #74
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

I think Souhaku is still in there, but either Nagi himself, or Nagi with Aya's help, is preventing him from taking over the same way Makiko's eyepatch prevented her dragon from taking over her.

Nagi's new eyepatch is working on several different levels.

1) It's an allusion to Shin and the parallels that are evident between Shin and Nagi.
2) It's an allusion to Makiko and what I've stated above.
3) Oh! Great has been using the theme of the Eye for quite a while thoughout the manga, so this is yet another incarnation of it.
Old 2006-10-19, 03:00   Link #75
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

I'm kinda confuesed here with 99. So there 2 Mitsuomis? :O

Old 2006-10-19, 09:36   Link #76
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Yeah, Mitsuomi has a clone. And they killed off Sagamask for whatever freaking reason! Why... just why?
Old 2006-10-19, 09:37   Link #77
Majek
Sm3rt teh M@d Jester

It seems like that the trend these days.

Old 2006-10-19, 09:38   Link #78
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

It makes absolutely zero sense to me. Oh! Great has been weird lately...
Old 2006-10-19, 09:57   Link #79
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Tsubasa Chronicles, anyone?

What the hell was with that Sagamask shit? What the hell was Oh! Great trying to prove there, really? I had hoped it was only "in their heads" move, but it looked like Saga's guts really flew out from his stomach. Yuck.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2006-10-19, 10:23   Link #80
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Oh, I just realized. It's not a clone. It's Shoujou, masquerading as Mitsuomi! I thought I've seen that scar/tattoo on the face somewhere. Yep, that's her.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, seinen