AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2011-01-05, 01:34   Link #321
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamijou Touma
“A LARGE JET!? ISN’T THAT THE FANTASY NORTH AMERICAN X-15 RESEARCH PLANE!? CAN I REALLY RIDE ON THIS PLANE THAT’S FASTER THAN A BULLET WHEN I DON’T HAVE ANY TRAINING!?”
Apparently, this was what Touma was referring to

North American X-15
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 10:11   Link #322
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Think I might want to put that up as reference, or someone can do it up for me. (That's not even a plane anymore, it's a rocket.)

For those interested, it's in Volume 11 Epilogue.

PS: Anyone still remembers my ava request? I don't want to end up waiting for 3 months again...
Hell_ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-05, 21:14   Link #323
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Think I might want to put that up as reference, or someone can do it up for me. (That's not even a plane anymore, it's a rocket.)

For those interested, it's in Volume 11 Epilogue.

PS: Anyone still remembers my ava request? I don't want to end up waiting for 3 months again...
someone put it up for u i think
I_am_Kami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-14, 23:10   Link #324
Essa Maneira
Tsukiko! ♥

in episode 13 of index 2, in the jet plane scene, is that Laura Stuart's true power?
its amazing....

HALA MADRID!
Essa Maneira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 07:39   Link #325
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essa Maneira View Post
in episode 13 of index 2, in the jet plane scene, is that Laura Stuart's true power?
its amazing....
No, that's Laura being a dick.....an incredibly cute dick but still....her true power is unknown.
Old 2011-01-15, 20:12   Link #326
Flere821
Lurker

Well, there was one instance where she blew up the handcuffs and the Knight guards around her with her hair in Vol18, and that she's said to be at least more powerful than Kanzaki and equal to Knight Leader in Vol17-8... but yeah, Laura's true power is unknown.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-15, 20:17   Link #327
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Well, there was one instance where she blew up the handcuffs and the Knight guards around her with her hair in Vol18, and that she's said to be at least more powerful than Kanzaki and equal to Knight Leader in Vol17-8... but yeah, Laura's true power is unknown.
She's obviously far more deadly than Knight Leader....For one, Knight Leader wouldn't even dream of taking on Gakuen Toshi and Aleister on his own accord...
Old 2011-01-15, 22:08   Link #328
Miraluka
Banned

I think that she has that confidence because she has various trum cards one of them can be Croce di Pietro even if it was damage after its fall, it can be repaired now on her hands with some changes on its settings.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 10:02   Link #329
ellifeedn
Thinker

Magic users draw power from higher beings/planes of reality/dimensions in order to cast spells. AIM causes harm to magicians and espers who try to use magic. Is it possible that AIM doesn't so much as harm people casting magic but rather cuts them off from their source and, without that power, the spells are compensated by taking from the spellcaster's life-force? When someone looses their life-force, symptoms range from going comatose to literally falling to pieces.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-25, 16:31   Link #330
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Magic users draw power from higher beings/planes of reality/dimensions in order to cast spells. AIM causes harm to magicians and espers who try to use magic. Is it possible that AIM doesn't so much as harm people casting magic but rather cuts them off from their source and, without that power, the spells are compensated by taking from the spellcaster's life-force? When someone looses their life-force, symptoms range from going comatose to literally falling to pieces.
Unlikely considering that magicians still impart a bit of life energy into their spells.

It's not really the AIM that's responsible for the damage, they disrupt the flow of magic through one's body, and it's that disrupt that causes the magic to go berserk.
Old 2011-01-26, 15:00   Link #331
Seihai
スマイリウム

It's more for personal benefit, but I have a question regarding a specific power. What if an ESP (I guess around lv 4) would be able to emit nuclear radiation through his/her hands? Much like a skilled pyrokineticist who might be able to form flames with a ridiculous temperature (800~1000° if that's possible, I'm not good at physics), would a radiation user have many options to use his/her ability? Vector manipulation, teleportation and such are really versatile in use but what about radiation?
Old 2011-01-26, 16:41   Link #332
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
It's more for personal benefit, but I have a question regarding a specific power. What if an ESP (I guess around lv 4) would be able to emit nuclear radiation through his/her hands? Much like a skilled pyrokineticist who might be able to form flames with a ridiculous temperature (800~1000° if that's possible, I'm not good at physics), would a radiation user have many options to use his/her ability? Vector manipulation, teleportation and such are really versatile in use but what about radiation?
Radiation could be a wide range throughout the electromagnetic spectrum (Radio waves to Gamma rays), or one specific form of (eg Visible Light).

If you want the former then it could have a ridiculous range of power.

Microwave - If you seen Code Geass then you would know how devastating weaponized microwaves are... Plus you can cook food for free.

Radiowave - If you can transmit, who's to say you can't also receive?

Visible Light - Invisibility anyone?

Infrared - Thermovision anyone?

X-ray - X-ray vision, and in high enough concentration, enough to kill people.

^
Anything above this is an instant kill of practically any living thing, then there are high speed charged particles.... On a positive side, you can help fight cancer or find Earth-like planets in outer space.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-01-26 at 19:43.
Old 2011-01-26, 18:17   Link #333
giorno

how about gamma ray bursts?
giorno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 19:33   Link #334
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It is possible, but since he/she is not fitted with a device that can see her ability at work, the esper needs some kind of augmented vision device to allow seeing gamma rays.

What's impossible is for the esper to be inside Academy City. Merely walking close to this esper can cause radiation sickness at least.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-26, 19:42   Link #335
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
how about gamma ray bursts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
It is possible, but since he/she is not fitted with a device that can see her ability at work, the esper needs some kind of augmented vision device to allow seeing gamma rays.

What's impossible is for the esper to be inside Academy City. Merely walking close to this esper can cause radiation sickness at least.
Gamma Ray Burst, the stuff from super novas, are brilliant blinding white light, so I'm certain the entire city could see it. That aside, considering how Misaka can see electromagnetic waves (right?), a powerful enough Esper wouldn't need equipment.

Also, the AIM field of even a Level 5 esper is barely felt, so I don't think it would be powerful enough to cause radiation sickness, but it could interfere with electronics like radio and other things.
Old 2011-01-26, 20:18   Link #336
Flere821
Lurker

For the record, Mikoto can fire something like microwave bursts of energy to attack internal organs (mentioned once in the 1st novel as one of the attacks she used on Touma before causing a blackout). It's probably not unthinkable for other espers to be able to control radiation-related powers indirectly as a side effect of their powers. eg, Kakine also used his wings to turn sunlight into harmful radiation using Dark Matter.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 12:17   Link #337
Seihai
スマイリウム

Cool, thanks for all the answers so far. For one, I am really interested in that particular power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Radiation could be a wide range throughout the electromagnetic spectrum (Radio waves to Gamma rays), or one specific form of (eg Visible Light).

If you want the former then it could have a ridiculous range of power.

Microwave - If you seen Code Geass then you would know how devastating weaponized microwaves are... Plus you can cook food for free.

Radiowave - If you can transmit, who's to say you can't also receive?

Visible Light - Invisibility anyone?

Infrared - Thermovision anyone?

X-ray - X-ray vision, and in high enough concentration, enough to kill people.

^
Anything above this is an instant kill of practically any living thing, then there are high speed charged particles.... On a positive side, you can help fight cancer or find Earth-like planets in outer space.
I've watched Geass though I don't remember the microwave part... mind elaborating? I'm sure I'll remember it if roughly explained. So that power is really good for ninja~ing, being able to have additional views and make yourself invisible. What about high-speed charged particles? I kinda fail at this subject, sorry. And now that you mentioned the cure of illnesses, in the end is it true that Mikoto could also do similar things as she was promised when she was small?

Quote:
Gamma Ray Burst, the stuff from super novas, are brilliant blinding white light, so I'm certain the entire city could see it. That aside, considering how Misaka can see electromagnetic waves (right?), a powerful enough Esper wouldn't need equipment.
Then with enough skill / power, a nova would be possible to create? If I remember correctly, a super nova is about a star crashing on something and exploding, creating that brilliant light...? And hypernova was like ten- or hundred fold of that or so.
Old 2011-01-27, 16:42   Link #338
Satehi

Regarding radiation, it can't accelerate particles to any noticeable effect, and gamma ray burst require a black hole and a bunch of charged magnetic particles.

Though you could probably make an EMP if you could generate gamma ray radiation high up in the atmosphere.
Satehi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-27, 16:52   Link #339
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I've watched Geass though I don't remember the microwave part... mind elaborating? I'm sure I'll remember it if roughly explained. So that power is really good for ninja~ing, being able to have additional views and make yourself invisible. What about high-speed charged particles? I kinda fail at this subject, sorry. And now that you mentioned the cure of illnesses, in the end is it true that Mikoto could also do similar things as she was promised when she was small?
Well you can literally microwave something, exciting the molecules, cooking it from the inside... And not just living things.

In addition, recently it's been discovered that microwaves can bend light around them and reform at the back, essentially creating invisibility.

While there's no doubt the power of electricity can help people medically (MRI anyone?), given a choice between Medical and Military... I think you get the picture.

Quote:
Then with enough skill / power, a nova would be possible to create? If I remember correctly, a super nova is about a star crashing on something and exploding, creating that brilliant light...? And hypernova was like ten- or hundred fold of that or so.
The Star collapses onto itself, Not only that you need trillions of mass, several times of our sun. One tiny Esper does not cut it, Gamma Ray Burst are out of this world powerful.

Attack wise, a Microwave radiation would do.
Old 2011-01-27, 23:32   Link #340
Phibrizzo
Honos628

Quote:
The Star collapses onto itself, Not only that you need trillions of mass, several times of our sun. One tiny Esper does not cut it, Gamma Ray Burst are out of this world powerful.

Attack wise, a Microwave radiation would do.

Considering how astral in hand works a angel can pull this (at least choose a star that would).
Phibrizzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard science