AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-02-24, 00:12   Link #1
Gordy Lechance

Smile Dragonball Kai: Dragonball Z's 20th Anniversary Recut!!

Source: http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Kai

Oh thank Kami-sama, it's about time!!

No no no, it won't be a continuation to that awful tripe called Dragonball GT.

Basically, in celebration of the 20th Anniversary of Dragonball Z, Toei is going to re-release the series, digitally remastered, widescreen.

But nope, this is not a mere "George Lucas" recut we are talking about here.

Like Rebuild Of Evangelion, although the basic animaton will be based on the 20 year old footage, it will be redone with today's technology. We can expect to look forward to beautiful Air and Kanon style scenery coupled with spectacular CG Kamehamehas!!

Also, without time constraints or a need to make fillers to let Mr Toriyama have time to finish the manga chapters, Toei is going to cut all the fillers and extra fights not in the manga, getting the story to Toriyama's exact original vision. This means that the series is going to be shortened from the monstrously long 291 Episodes to a reasonable 100!!

The story will flow much faster, thank Kami!!

Best of all, the ENTIRE vocal track will be re-recorded with all the surviving original cast members. Some (like Master Roshi/Kamesenin's and Tenshinhan's voice) will obviously have to be recast due to having gone to heaven recently. The performances will hopefully be stronger and more emotional with hindsight in the picture.

The sound effects and music, will of course be re-designed and re-done as well. Let's hope composer Meistro Kikuichi Shunsuke comes out of retirement to serenade us one more time with his classic score one more time!!

Ah, 2009 is a great year to be a Dragonball Z fan....
Old 2009-02-24, 07:29   Link #2
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Just read the animenewsnetwork entry on this topic, cause I still believe wiki is evil XD
but really YESH YESH YESH! I am very happy with this news!
The episodes will start in April or at leased are scheduled for that month and also new versions of the opening and ending themes, can't wait till it gets April 20th! YESH!
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 08:54   Link #3
Kafriel
Senior Guest

It's already in spring 2009 releases on the general anime thread~
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 11:34   Link #4
Gordy Lechance

Hmm, even if Kikuichi Shunsuke-sensei cannot come back to compose the music, wouldn't it be totally wicked if Ms Kajiura Yuki-sensei can compose it instead.

Imagine, Remastered-Dragonball Z with the awesome European-Techno-Opera beat of anime like Kara No Kyoukai, Noir and Mai-Hime...

Oh, righteous dudes, Totally Righteous!!
Old 2009-02-24, 12:05   Link #5
Kazu-kun

I request this thread to be moved to the "Unaired" forum. Yes, this uses footage from Dragon Ball Z, but it's not Dragon Ball Z. It's Dragon Ball Kai, and it hasn't been licensed yet.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2009-02-24 at 12:21.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 13:39   Link #6
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well moved or not this is actually pretty interesting. Chopping out the extras and getting to the heart of it sounds good. Something to look forward to if I can survive exams .
Old 2009-02-24, 13:46   Link #7
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Seriously? This may be very interesting!
Old 2009-02-24, 18:28   Link #8
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Can't wait for this! WOOT!
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-24, 19:17   Link #9
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Sigh... I know we would reach this stage someday. I'm not complaining about seeing more Dragon Ball, but can't anyone say that lately we seem to be getting a tad to many remakes? I mean, at least previously the companies only copied their own concepts and at least had the decency to change the color palette, the characters names and maybe the setting, but now we don't even get that.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-25, 16:29   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Ya know, when I've seen an anime whose manga I haven't read, it always makes me bored afterwards, when I read the manga for any missing parts (while the opposite doesn't happen,I'm always looking forwards to music,graphics and dubbing). With dragonball, besides the manga and original anime, and besides aaaaaaall the games that have been published, each with its own crazy side-story (up to the point of Friez-buu fusion), I'm still kinda excited to see the anime (mainly because when I first saw it I was so young I can't remember any of it right now ^_^)
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 02:07   Link #11
Samari
World's Greatest

Wow I can't believe this. I was just revisiting my entire manga collection of Dragonball the other day, marveling at how it was truly the only genuine source of my favorite manga ever, and now I hear about this news. This is excellent. I seriously can't wait for this.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 02:10   Link #12
SkoolRumble4Ya

I'm so glad DB is back in new animation. I hope some group will pick it up.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 02:31   Link #13
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoolRumble4Ya View Post
I'm so glad DB is back in new animation. I hope some group will pick it up.
Dragonball is a good cash outlet for Funimation. I'd be surprised if they didn't try to pick this thing up.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 07:19   Link #14
Gordy Lechance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samari View Post
Dragonball is a good cash outlet for Funimation. I'd be surprised if they didn't try to pick this thing up.
Let's hope they dub it seriously this time as opposed to dub it for five-year-olds.
Old 2009-02-26, 09:16   Link #15
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post
Let's hope they dub it seriously this time as opposed to dub it for five-year-olds.
It's over 9000...? ;___;
bahamut zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 11:16   Link #16
Gordy Lechance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
It's over 9000...? ;___;
Well, it was actually "It's Over Eight Thousand" (Has-sen-I-Jou) but they needed an English number that mateched the lip-movement onscreen.
Old 2009-02-26, 11:53   Link #17
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Nope, never was into Dragon Ball when I was little, but re-animating old series isn't such a bad idea. Cutting all the fillers and stuff, isn't this heaven for all DB fans? But I have to admit, toei doesn't seem to have the equipment to make beautiful HD anime, if anyone seen Pretty Cure 5 or newer series, you can actually see pixels enlarged, the only cg is in the transformation and attacking scenes. I hope they do give a better treatment, at the end of the day, this is Dragon Ball.

Its no surprising they're trying to milk the series, the credit crunch isn't great for the animators too.

I wish Cardcaptor Sakura gets re-animated too...I know a digitally remastered Blu-ray is going to be release. But re-animated with pretty CG sounds...much better.
Old 2009-02-26, 12:18   Link #18
Seifall

After hearing about Dragon Ball Evolution the american movie, maybe Toei is already preparing to redeem DBZ's name
Seriously,that's good news , can't wait to see how they will cut some memorable fights which took 1, 2 weeks, to finish; good memories nonetheless.
Seifall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 15:49   Link #19
SkoolRumble4Ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut zero View Post
It's over 9000...? ;___;
That was the best quote in Dragon Ball Z.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-26, 18:08   Link #20
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance View Post
Also, without time constraints or a need to make fillers to let Mr Toriyama have time to finish the manga chapters, Toei is going to cut all the fillers and extra fights not in the manga, getting the story to Toriyama's exact original vision. This means that the series is going to be shortened from the monstrously long 291 Episodes to a reasonable 100!!
That is an assumption that a lot of people are making. There has been no confirmation that all fillers will be removed. However, considering how the goal of this whole project is to be as true as possible to Toriyama's original work, it does seem logical that all fillers would have to be removed in order to allow for a more authentic and quicker paced experience. But condensing the series down into 100 episodes is a rumor at the moment and nothing more. To say that the original anime series had nearly two thirds of its content as filler as little too much of a stretch. I'd say that 150 to 200 episodes sounds reasonable. In any case, I am really looking forward to this new DragonBall experience just like everyone else.