AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-03, 17:25   Link #1
7thMethuselah

Planetes manga

I just read the first two manga from Planetes and damn they're good . I had to get used to the drawing style at first but it's really nice, especially the "outside" scenery. The story is rather different from the anime since alot more characters get introduced in the anime and things happen in a completely different order, simply put the manga doesn't have the 2 childish bosses (which is good), and the chick gets introduced alot later. Too bad we didn't meet Hachimaki's father yet in the anime, since he's quite fun . I hope the Jupiter chapter will get added too in the anime since it looks interesting...

Btw Tokyopop's site only lists 3 volumes for Planetes, anyone know if this is all there is or are there more volumes to be expected (I dunno how far the japanese version got)?
Old 2004-02-03, 17:43   Link #2
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

I'm pretty sure that in another thread here I read that Volume 4 will be the last volume of the manga series (It hasn't been released yet in Japan). So hopefully we wont have to wait around too long to tell how Hachi and Co get on.
Old 2004-02-03, 18:26   Link #3
EtherNEZ
AIR is good for you

I only recently noticed PlanetES on Amazon UK - after going a little wild with Azumanga, FMP and Gunslinger Girl - I shall have to have a check later and place a few more orders.... just a few mind....

I've only seen Episode 1&2 of the anime so far but it was one of the series I was anticipating last autumn. I've left it for a long time now and the eps have built up! Manga or anime first.... ahhhh, the agony of choice (or shall I resolve the issue and deal with both together? )
Old 2004-02-05, 01:44   Link #4
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherNEZ
I've only seen Episode 1&2 of the anime so far but it was one of the series I was anticipating last autumn. I've left it for a long time now and the eps have built up! Manga or anime first.... ahhhh, the agony of choice (or shall I resolve the issue and deal with both together? )
I started with the anime first. The manga and the anime are very different in story order and characterwise (the anime has alot more chars, especially ones that try to add a comical note like the bosses, the ninja group , etc...) The manga is alot more serious and one of the main characters from the anime only gets introduced in vol 2. I think you can start either one of them first since they won't spoil the fun for the other, you'll notice the same story happens in both but too different chars and in completely different order. Anime also has fillers (or these might be things not shown in first 2 manga)
Old 2004-02-05, 10:08   Link #5
Ballz
<3 Boogiepop

I found out about this series through the anime, and yeah, it doesn't really matter which you choose first, as they're both excellent (and in their own right, quite different) products.

Some stuff from the manga I prefer over the anime, and some stuff from the anime I prefer over the manga. I love them both, honestly, and would be hard-pressed to choose one over the other.

If you're curious about when Hachimaki's father appears in the anime...

Spoiler:
Old 2004-02-05, 17:58   Link #6
EtherNEZ
AIR is good for you

Well, that's that decided then... PlanetES manga here I come.

I have no qualms personally if the Manga and Anime are almost identical, or very different. Obviously the latter situation is more interesting character/plot wise but the former is still good as it can often give a better viewpoint or background.

Besides, I love reading so much it wouldn't really matter anyway
Old 2004-02-13, 21:59   Link #7
BOZZY

The manga is surprisingly good... I only picked it up cause I saw it listed one day on animesuki... and of course a close friend of mine wanted to get so I had to get first

If it ends at Volume 4 that'll be sad cause I'd hoped it'd last longer... Oh well my first complete manga series'll be PlanetES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherNEZ
Well, that's that decided then... PlanetES manga here I come.

I have no qualms personally if the Manga and Anime are almost identical, or very different. Obviously the latter situation is more interesting character/plot wise but the former is still good as it can often give a better viewpoint or background.

Besides, I love reading so much it wouldn't really matter anyway
Old 2004-02-28, 08:06   Link #8
SomeName
~ notoriously off topic ~

Anybody read PlanetES or Twin Spica manga?

There's a nice manga shop near my workplace right now.. where I'm doing an internship, and before I leave the city I'd like to stock up. They had the first 3 translated volumes of PlanetES there, but I'm not sure if they had T.S. Can anybody who's bought these vouch for their quality?

I bought the first Cowboy Bebop graphic novel, and though it was nice to see the characters again, was pretty disappointed with Tokyopop's work on the translations. There are obvious problems with it that any literate person could see. Is this a common thing amongst translations, or maybe a Tokyopop specific one?
Old 2004-02-28, 09:03   Link #9
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeName
There's a nice manga shop near my workplace right now.. where I'm doing an internship, and before I leave the city I'd like to stock up. They had the first 3 translated volumes of PlanetES there, but I'm not sure if they had T.S. Can anybody who's bought these vouch for their quality?

I bought the first Cowboy Bebop graphic novel, and though it was nice to see the characters again, was pretty disappointed with Tokyopop's work on the translations. There are obvious problems with it that any literate person could see. Is this a common thing amongst translations, or maybe a Tokyopop specific one?
For Planetes, I did not buy the mangas but I had a look at all 3 of them. The story is there is top-notch especially if you are into philosophical stuff. It is more serious than the anime (the anime is not as good as the manga IMO). The art is clean and the character designs fine IMO. I would recommend buying them just for the story itself.
Old 2004-02-28, 17:44   Link #10
7thMethuselah

I've read the first 2 volumes of Planetes and I have no complaints at all. The manga is ALOT better then the anime (mostly because they leave out the annoying idiot charaters) and the drawings are quite nice. Also the story is better, the anime has reached episode 14 outta 26(?) and hardly started the jupiter chapter...

Translations by Tokyopop seem good, characters are better dealt wth then in the anime, story is great, art is nice, ... If you like the anime I don't think you'll consider this a bad buy .

Last edited by 7thMethuselah; 2004-02-29 at 16:16.
Old 2004-02-29, 07:34   Link #11
SomeName
~ notoriously off topic ~

Thanks both of you.

Having read the manga, does it look like the anime will be able to cover all of the work in the manga? If not, it may give me more reason to buy it.
Old 2004-02-29, 10:20   Link #12
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Thanks both of you.

Having read the manga, does it look like the anime will be able to cover all of the work in the manga? If not, it may give me more reason to buy it.
I will say buy the manga irregardless of the anime if you are into serious philosophical story that deals with how man will find himself in space. There are rumours that the manga will end at Vol 4. But I do not know how true it is. The only thing I can say is Vol 3 is definitely not the end of the manga series (unless the publishers or mangaka cancel it).

If you want to know how far the anime is pacing with the manga, Episode 19...

Spoiler:

Note that the anime is likely to be a 24 or 26 episode series. Thus they would only have 5 - 7 episodes left to conclude the whole anime story.
Old 2004-02-29, 11:03   Link #13
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Thanks both of you.

Judging on the point where they are in the anime (I've seen up to epi 15), I don't think they'll be able to show everything which is in the manga unless they start skipping alot. But basically they are 2 different things, anime has fillers and additional characters, manga has a great story.

Last edited by 7thMethuselah; 2004-02-29 at 16:13.
Old 2004-03-03, 15:29   Link #14
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Another Afternoon magazine related newscoop from me. In this months edition I spotted a promotion for a Planetes Guidebook that will be coming out soon, It has a really nice front cover of Hachi and Tanabe at the controls of a spacecraft. more information to follow if interest dictates so......
Old 2004-03-06, 05:14   Link #15
BOZZY

Is it true that the manga is going to end at Volume 4?

It's a good title... I was skeptical at first but when I heard a friend of mine, who is generally into very good manga hehe, was interested in buying it I got the first volume and fell in love with it...
Old 2004-03-06, 08:59   Link #16
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Doesn't look like it. I read through vol. 4, and from what I read it could easily continue on for a 5th volume. Not sure though.

I still need to get back to the states and read it in english, until then I'll just keep feigning the ability to fully understand it . The guidebook Tsurumaru mentions is out, though I haven't had a look at it.
Old 2004-03-06, 13:19   Link #17
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

I just did a quick yahoo search/amazon.co.jp for Twin Spica (ふたつのスピカ is this right?). Looks like there are three volumes available. Has anyone licensed this in the US?
Old 2004-03-06, 16:40   Link #18
stpehen
kisses for all

Volume 4 is, for the time being, the end of Planetes manga. It is supposedly the end of "Part One," which as I often say, is almost always a crueler way of saying "The End," since the majority of mangakas who end their series with "Part One" never ever return to them.

Having said that, from the book I flipped through in Borders, Tokypop seems to have reproduced Planetes fairly nicely, and unless they completely hacked the dialogue to bits (which I suspect they did not, treating it as a fairly niche title instead) it should still be well worth your money.

The Japanese volumes are very nicely done and of course the manga itself is fantastic. I considered it an excellent purchase, especially compared to some of the other things I've wasted money on.
Old 2004-05-02, 12:31   Link #19
Shift_

How many volumes will the PlanetES manga be?

So I checked tokyopop and they only have 3 volumes listed.

Is that all the manga is? I was under the impression that it was atleast 4 volumes long.
Old 2004-05-02, 13:24   Link #20
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
It's at least 4, since that was the last I saw come out before leaving Japan.

It'll probably do a 5th, but beyond that will be up to what happens in vol. 5.
Closed Thread

Tags
tokyopop