AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-03, 21:04   Link #2621
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
So I've watched the final episode and it managed to be even more rushed than Gundam F91. That's impressive

Anyway it was a great ride. Everything got boiled down to the absolute minimum required from a "full" 13 episode season and yet it still managed to work. I think it's a testament to how solid the plot for Buddy Complex was even when you factor in the slightly wonky time travel mechanics in play. They played it as safe with the story as possible with just enough sprinkles of different ideas to make it work and I for one loved every second of it.

I'll even go as far as saying this: Buddy Complex was the best mecha show from Sunrise I've seen ever since the first season of Gundam 00 ended (with a giant exception put in place for Gundam Unicorn but that one's special simply due to budget). Sadly I think that a poor naming choice really killed this show before it even had it's first teaser aired. Calling something Buddy Complex just had to kill interest in quite a few potential buyers*. If they had just added a few tropes and made this into another one of AU Gundams it would probably fit right in. The OP even reminds me of SEED.

But you know what's really bad about this show having flopped in sales? It probably means that Sunrise will be less likely to do this kind of original mecha series with a relatively by-the-numbers approach to the story. People voted with their wallets and the votes said that this wasn't the kind of show they wanted to buy. Sad really.

*In fact I think that Buddy Complex even had LESS yaoi shipping fooder than some of the Gundam shows.
I would agree. Honestly there haven't been that many mecha shows that I just purely enjoyed like this one since Gundam 00. I really like the designs and the use of the mechs in this series and too bad that it didn't appear to resonate with people. Heck for a show where you could have been worried about yaoi shipping fodder they had a really strong main pairing that remained a focus throughout the show.

Maybe it was the title, maybe it was the terminology "coupling system, buddies, etc" but just too bad that whatever it was turned people off.

In the end I'm glad they managed to do as good a job as they did with these last two episodes. At least when you look at the first season and what we finished with, it was a good ride.
Old 2014-10-04, 19:45   Link #2622
Miraluka
Banned

o.O

Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 04:03   Link #2623
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
o.O

The face of ultimate NTR butthurt.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 05:39   Link #2624
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
o.O

Ultra Rare NTR, bro!
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 06:26   Link #2625
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

It was doubly hilarious when it turns out Bizon was the one trying to NTR.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 16:44   Link #2626
username31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames View Post
I believe the Aoba we know won't conduct the coupling experiments this time because he knows the risks of it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakAnki View Post
But then won't he trigger time paradox if he didn't do coupling experiment with Hina? Or the other timelines won't be affected anymore no matter what changes Aoba and Hina do now?

Seriously buddy, time travel is complex
The war will happen no matter what, so Aoba needs to create coupling system to save his friends/comrades' life in the future but since he already got knowledge about coupling system from his time traveling, hina doesn't need to do the coupling experiment anymore.

The manga illustrator on his twitter said it is likely Aoba studies hard so he can meet his own Hina in the College and save his friends in the future with coupling system.

Thinking about it, since Hina doesn't go time travelling Bizon will probably live a better life. Characters who died this show especially in AobaxHina time travelling loop in Aoba timeline they are most probably alive, but we don't know what the result of the war afterthat.

Last edited by username31; 2014-10-15 at 14:54.
username31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-18, 02:53   Link #2627
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by username31 View Post
The war will happen no matter what, so Aoba needs to create coupling system to save his friends/comrades' life in the future but since he already got knowledge about coupling system from his time traveling, hina doesn't need to do the coupling experiment anymore.

The manga illustrator on his twitter said it is likely Aoba studies hard so he can meet his own Hina in the College and save his friends in the future with coupling system.

Thinking about it, since Hina doesn't go time travelling Bizon will probably live a better life. Characters who died this show especially in AobaxHina time travelling loop in Aoba timeline they are most probably alive, but we don't know what the result of the war afterthat.
To save his friends in the future it's not just the coupling system needed but him and Hina as well. They will probably end up doing the experiment again getting Hina sucked into the future to get things going again. It shows that she does at least go back to the point where she was first sent to the future eventually. Aoba and Hina go on to have children which likely leads to Dio. All things considered, he is very likely their great grandson. Dio's father looks a lot like much older Aoba which could mean a familial tie.

This basically means Bizon is screwed no matter what. lol. The chew toy of time itself lol. I wonder if in the first timeline if Bizon was also obsessed with Hina. Like instead of Aoba and Hina, it was Bizon and Hina who got stuck on the island but it had much less affect on Hina compared to Aoba being there but made Bizon become obsessed with her.
Old 2014-12-20, 20:42   Link #2628
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Still confused as hell....

So whatever time loop, or how Zogilia Hina returned to adult Aoba, all of that is erased now that Hina and Aoba returned to their college times(first meeting)?

Or will that all that happen again up till Zogilia Hina and adult Aoba, with only Hina retaining all their memories and adult Aoba's confused as f**k?

And then normal time resumes....
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-14, 06:30   Link #2629
ShirayukiX
betwixt and between

I know this forum is old (no new post til now, so 2 year, goin on 3 from this post), and that probably nobody is gonna see this, but I have to get this off my chest.

This is really upsetting how we only two special episodes, not even longer than a normal episode count - which all it is - while other, garbage series get sequels like no tomorrow (not naming any series).

I haven't finished the series yet, and have only seen about til episode 10, but it really saddens me how such a good series can end up in the trash like nothing (reminds me of muv luv total eclipse, and thats a whole other rant). Granted, I'm glad they made 2 episodes and my dream couple got together, but if the story could continue to fill the gap, like a full season, in some way or another, then by all means I want one; movie, manga, light novel, I don't care what!

I hate seeing series with good and interesting stories fall flat due to money reasons - understandable, but still shitty nonetheless. Man, if I have to ask Sunrise for the rights to finish writing it as a light novel, then by damn you know I will try. I don't even care if I don't get paid. As long as I can a story fleshed out to it's glory, that'll make me happy.

This was longer than I intended, but a rant is a rant. If anyone reads, I do apologize, and thank you for taking the time to do so. Again, most likely nobody is going to see this; but, if someone sees this, thank you, really. I appreciate. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go to bed with a broken heart (seriously; I got the void feeling now).
Old 2016-12-14, 10:15   Link #2630
B214

Apparently the lack of popularity killed the show. Which is kinda pity since i did enjoy it.
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-15, 14:55   Link #2631
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Yeah this series deserved more love than it got. People bash Valvrave and Guilty Crown, but those still got a full 24 episodes while Buddy Complex only got two episodes to wrap up its second cour.
Old 2016-12-15, 16:18   Link #2632
shadow1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Yeah this series deserved more love than it got. People bash Valvrave and Guilty Crown, but those still got a full 24 episodes while Buddy Complex only got two episodes to wrap up its second cour.
the problem with those 2 is their author can't write short narrative's who like adding plot points that can be expanded on in a longer anime but dropped in the time they had. Now that said are they better than this one, hell no (this coming from a guy who did enjoy valvrave) and this series did something that even bones wasn't able todo and that was when it got shortened it didn't try to come up with a rushed ending that completely ruined the anime and basically sh*ts on its entire franchise( looks at Eureka 7 Ao) it atleast tried to give a satisfying conclusion whether it succeeded or not is up to peoples interpretation
Old 2017-01-13, 16:42   Link #2633
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
It was such a shame. That was just frustrating. The story built up slowly in expectation to having that second season to wrap it up. They announced the darn sequel. Too bad we'll never see how they would have handled it. The conclusion is probably the same and they just rapidly skipped to the last couple episodes they planned on, but it is a shame.
Old 2017-01-14, 07:42   Link #2634
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
It was such a shame. That was just frustrating. The story built up slowly in expectation to having that second season to wrap it up. They announced the darn sequel. Too bad we'll never see how they would have handled it. The conclusion is probably the same and they just rapidly skipped to the last couple episodes they planned on, but it is a shame.
I still blame the name of the show and the subdued first couple of episodes. Everyone was expecting this to turn full blown Yaoi and that put off a sizeable part of the kind of viewers that would enjoy this kind of show. I actually haven't seen much better mecha in the last couple of years that wasn't called Gundam (the genre has been kind of non-existant for a while now).
Old 2017-01-14, 10:47   Link #2635
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I still blame the name of the show and the subdued first couple of episodes. Everyone was expecting this to turn full blown Yaoi and that put off a sizeable part of the kind of viewers that would enjoy this kind of show. I actually haven't seen much better mecha in the last couple of years that wasn't called Gundam (the genre has been kind of non-existant for a while now).
If people honestly thought this would be a yaoi show and ignored it because of that then....I'd have to lay the blame on them. Any kind of real thought would dispel that idea. Heck, the first episode even had the fateful meeting between the hero and heroine, and the OP itself portrayed quite well how important Hina was to Aoba and the story.

But then, I wouldn't be surprised at the masses lacking competent thought. People are just dumb in general; for example, you have that whole mistranslation incident from the early episodes of Gundam 00. The fact that misunderstanding lasted as long as it did without anyone on the whole internet realizing it showed how most people don't actual think.
And then there was a similar mistranslation incident late in Saekano. I think that one lasted even longer than the G00 one before somebody finally realized everybody was getting it wrong and let them know.

Tags
action, giant robots, sci-fi, sunrise, time travel