AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2016-06-12, 17:06   Link #41
Tenzen12

It's not stagnant, it's stable. Not every character has to change and even less characters have to change constantly. She is decent pilot (though not great) with own problems and aspirations. See how these things are addressed would be nice but there is lot of more urgent matters.
Old 2016-06-12, 17:24   Link #42
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Also, I don't think Mirage is going to be inspired by Hayate and/or Freyja. They aren't pushing her at all (like Hayate/Freyja did in the early episodes), they don't even seems to be trying to understand her actually.
We'll see, there are a number of possibilities. But at this point neither Hayate nor Freyja are aware that Mirage has these kind of issues at all (it's not like Mirage goes around telling about them to everyone). Thing is, so far Mirage got away with being a so-so pilot and angsting in herself, because with Messer the Delta squadron still performed well. Now Messer is gone so Mirage has to put on her big girl panties and deal with her issues one way or another to function as a valuable member of the squadron. Or there's always the "waah I resign, rock bottom feel sorry for me" thing. (I really really hope that whatever happens they'll avoid that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
It doesn't really help that some magazines announcing how Freyja and Hayate will mature after this foretell that Mirage's grand change is that she... will become more feminine and that pisses me off the most.
Eh, I wouldn't take these things too seriously. (But on the other hand I also don't expect a whole lot on this front from Kawamori, either... )

Anyway, I quite like Mirage even as she is now (and even if she's not my favorite), and I'm fairly certain that her time will come.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-16, 07:32   Link #43
Arya

Well, sadly I agree about the lack of script about Mirage character, also, as noted in the image thread it seems her skills degraded from the arrive of Hayate. Behavior that adds up with my general impression of the writing "slightly" bending in favor of our two MCs.
Having said that I like her, I do like her, I also find her character deeper that Hayate and Frejya combined (not said with any ill-intent, just a matter of fact), but that's it. She seems a side character. (not that I mind the lack of screen time, it's the lack of meaning within the story that is becoming worrisome).

My fear at this point is that when her turn will come, she will be subjected to the same treatment, like some power-up of sort without any real buildup behind it.
Then if she will switch to be a singer yeah, that would be sad, but in either cases I don't see room for her, with Hayate occupying all the spot on one side and all the girls on the other. At this point a third path should be opened, like becoming a chef may be?

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-16, 14:03   Link #44
Alhazred

Meh, if Kawamori is even semi-serious about the whole "she's not a good pilot because one of her parents was a doctor" genetic predestination excuse, then i still want to see her Siegfried get benched for a bit so they can dump her in one of the Queadluun-Raus they have on Al Shahal and some of that Meltrandi genetic memory can kick in.
Alhazred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-16, 15:31   Link #45
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alhazred View Post
Meh, if Kawamori is even semi-serious about the whole "she's not a good pilot because one of her parents was a doctor" genetic predestination excuse, then i still want to see her Siegfried get benched for a bit so they can dump her in one of the Queadluun-Raus they have on Al Shahal and some of that Meltrandi genetic memory can kick in.
I would take that scenario.

When I think of Mirage being not that good of a pilot (according to what has been shown so far) although she is supposed to be one of the squadron's top pilots, I really kinda miss the old SMS from Macross Frontier. What I mean is that all SMS pilots each had a particular set of skills that reflect the pilot's personality, and they exploit those skills to maximum potential. With Mirage, I just cannot point my finger on what skills match her personality yet.

With Mirage being the first female pilot in a Macross series since Millia, I hope we find the answer soon and I hope she will become a much better pilot than what we have seen so far. However, the window that allows believable character development is shrinking fast as we're about to hit halfway in the series.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-16, 20:11   Link #46
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
With Mirage being the first female pilot in a Macross series since Millia, I hope we find the answer soon and I hope she will become a much better pilot than what we have seen so far. However, the window that allows believable character development is shrinking fast as we're about to hit halfway in the series.
Sylvie and Klan Klan exist. :P

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-16, 20:15   Link #47
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Sylvie and Klan Klan exist. :P
Don't forget Nora, and ... well, billions of Meltlandi who would jump at that statement.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-16, 20:42   Link #48
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Don't forget Nora, and ... well, billions of Meltlandi who would jump at that statement.
Images
DECULTURE!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 01:31   Link #49
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Well, I should have clarified that I meant that Mirage is the first female pilot since Millia to be put in a position of being such a big game changer, especially by being so high in the pecking order of the cast.

Anyway, my point about Mirage's piloting skills not matching her personality still stands. Just as Arya mentioned, her skills seem to be downgraded since Hayate beat her in that simulated dogfight. There's no way any viewer can establish what she does best as a pilot so we know what her role is on the team. In normal time, you would believe that we should have the answer by now and then watch her build up upon existing foundations.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 04:51   Link #50
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Well, I should have clarified that I meant that Mirage is the first female pilot since Millia to be put in a position of being such a big game changer, especially by being so high in the pecking order of the cast.
Uh, that's still Sylvie Jena, who was even the Ace Pilot in Macross II (as infamously noncanon it became later).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 11:45   Link #51
Tak

Quote:
Uh, that's still Sylvie Jena, who was even the Ace Pilot in Macross II (as infamously noncanon it became later).
Nora dammit! Why no one mentions Nora! She was HOT!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2016-06-17, 12:25   Link #52
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Nora dammit! Why no one mentions Nora! She was HOT!
Hot, violent, and driven by vengeance. Nobody wants to fly with Gasai Yuno.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 12:33   Link #53
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitas Free Zone View Post
But Yuno cares, in her own unique way! She is just misunderstood...

- Tak (well DD flew with her, and she took the bullet)

Old 2016-06-17, 13:05   Link #54
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Don't know who Yuno is, but agree on Nora.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 13:09   Link #55
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Don't know who Yuno is, but agree on Nora.
Yuno Gasai is the obsessive, psychotic girlfriend of the protagonist in Future Diary. She killed a lot of people and is not above killing the protagonist's mother if the latter proved to be an obstacle in Yuno's relationship.

Really, Nora is leagues ahead of Yuno in terms of sanity.

- Tak

Old 2016-06-17, 13:27   Link #56
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Yuno Gasai is the obsessive, psychotic girlfriend of the protagonist in Future Diary.
Never seen it. Do I need to?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-19, 09:51   Link #57
D-Joe

Well, she's Delta 2 now.
D-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-23, 05:47   Link #58
D-Joe

Mirage is part of the show, and this episode is character focused, so we're not out of topic, thanks.
MOD EDIT: Post moved to proper thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriiGV View Post
Nah, I don't think Mirage will win the triangle. She doesn't have the same emotional/inspiring impact that Freyja has on Hayate. At the rate we're going, it's like Hayate and Freyja are Max and Milia 2.0 in the sense that two opposite ends of the war come together to show that they can live in peace (even their character designs hint at it. Blue delta/Red Walkure. Blue and Orange fold waves that are complementary colors). The resonance, now sharing feelings a la Sheryl/Alto, the mp3 player, Hayate's dad Nuking the Windies (strongly hinted at) it all just screams UNMEI.

Also I'd feel pretty cheated if someone won the triangle simply because "the romance was their sole purpose". If we don't get a Freyja end, a sky end would be much better than a Mirage end.

I hardly believe fixing Mirage's problems simply because "here you go, have this boy" would work. Mirage comes off to me like the character that has to learn to stand up by themselves and that they don't need someone to make them happy/validate them. Mirage puts too much importance of legacy and validation. Typically the best resolution in these cases is accepting that you, yourself are enough. Having her win a silly triangle with her problems would be the biggest middle finger towards what an actual relationship should be.

Anyway, that's just how I view it.
You're right about the triangle, and the problem is, the writers still not start develop Mirage when that's what she needs.
I'm pretty sure her fans will be happy if she get some personal development, even she lose the triangle(as pretty likely for now).
Also i don't understand why the writers always let Mirage walks with Hayate, it's like Mirage cannot start up without Hayate.exe because she is Hayate's DLC, she need a moment that she's alone(and not just few seconds).

Quote:
Welcome to the Minmay and Ranka side of the room.
Mirage is in even worst position than both, you can say Minmay and Ranka's development not ended up well(though i think Minmay's development was pretty good even in TV version), but Mirage is basically still in "here is her setting" stage, nothing deep about her has written yet.
It's not about winning or losing the triangle anymore.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2016-07-23 at 16:06.
D-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-23, 06:44   Link #59
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Mirage basically has no existence beyond "have famous parents".

If she wasn't a Jenius, we wouldn't have considered her a major character worth screentime.

Really, this is the first time I felt an anime character need rescuing. She needed to be saved from being a waste of oxygen. I want to like her, damn it.
Old 2016-07-24, 17:08   Link #60
Father Hentai

Quote:
Spoiler for mmm spoilers episode 11:
Have you missed episode three or why are you saying that there has been no training between Mirage and Hayate? Mirage and Hayate are constantly - even if not screened all the time - having flight training together to fly such maneuvers. You can't just do this by talents. And you need more than talents and fold boost to be a combat pilot.

Also. One thing you are totally missing. Mirage worked out a flight pattern to fight the white knight. see episode twelve, the same episode where Freyja was going over the boot camp. The only reason why Mirage plan did not work was due to the bad aerodynamic of the Siegfrieds and the lack of experience by Hayate, Mirage and Chuck.

At a point you are correct that she is bad scripted, but her development have been shown. Maybe we will see Mirage also "dance" with the wind, if she will sync with Hayate, but that is just speculations at this point.

In terms of love relationship. In episode 16 she explains that dating is not her strength. I am not quite sure why we are trying to forcefully looking out for her emotional feelings towards Hayate.

Tags
characters