AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2018-08-02, 01:45   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 913 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Spoiler time! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the info:

-Chapter title is "Tsuru returns the favor". Ministory has Orlumbus concluding that his first pirating expedition ended in failure (due to helping villagers instead of robbing them).

-Hawkins asks Luffy and Zoro if they know who currently runs Wano, then tells them that their chance of surviving in a month's time is 19%. However, as Hawkins' group draws near, Zoro is more interested in Luffy's cursed sword. Luffy ignores his companion as he starts battling the enemy pirates! He grabs the lizard the pirates ride on and throws it at Hawkins, but the enemy supernova produces a blade made of straw and cleaves apart the beast! Zoro tries to cut Hawkins' face, but his attack has no effect..... as this is the magician's DF ability in action, the Wara Wara no Mi (or Straw Straw Fruit). Using his voodoo dolls, Hawkins transferred all damage aimed at himself toward his minions!

-The blade of Hawkins' straw sword turns into a giant magician doll, and he proposes they play a game. He then brings out his tarot cards and starts reading some fortunes. Interestingly, they seem to have random effects, like making his minions fight each other! However, before the battle can continue, the komainu appears and grabs Luffy and Zoro in his mouth! As it turns out, Tama's condition is taking a turn for the worse....!!!

-Our heroes are more determined than before to get the girl the medical help she needs. However, Hawkins isn't done with them just yet.... after divining another fortune via tarot card, his sword-turned voodoo doll begins chasing after the komainu! Zoro tries cutting down the doll, but it once again transfers damage to Hawkins' minions instead. Suddenly..... the doll ceases chasing them. This is because the shamanistic pirate foresaw via tarot that his targets would be rescued by an outside force, so he's forced to give up for the moment.

-Back on the Komainu, it's revealed that the woman Zoro saved last chapter had stowed away on the animal! She thanks him for his earlier help, and introduces herself as Otsuru. She's an acquaintance of Otama's who owns a tea shop in a nearby village, and suggests they head there so she can give the girl some medicine. Upon reaching the village (which is named "Okobore"), they encounter Wano's top sumo wrestler, known as Yokuzuna Urashima, who's busy flirting with an employee of the tea shop, a girl named Okiku. Otsuru orders Okiku to fetch the medicine for Tama. Meanwhile, at a nearby mountain, we see that a few members of the Heart Pirates, Bepo, Penguin, and Shachi, are witnessing the arrival of Luffy's group via binoculars.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2018-08-03 at 08:32.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-02, 08:35   Link #2
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

i don't know why but i think hawkins' powers are kinda stupid... he relies so much on that damage transferred to minions thing...
he doesn't have an infinite number of servants to do this with... zoro can literally just keep cutting him down and eventually he will take damage... isn't this what kizaru did to him at Sabaody Archipelago?
Old 2018-08-02, 11:11   Link #3
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
i don't know why but i think hawkins' powers are kinda stupid... he relies so much on that damage transferred to minions thing...
he doesn't have an infinite number of servants to do this with... zoro can literally just keep cutting him down and eventually he will take damage... isn't this what kizaru did to him at Sabaody Archipelago?
Pretty much. The damage transference is a great defensive ability but it cannot be abused. It has its limits. And if the damage accumulation exceeds those limits, Hawkins will suffer the consequences.
Old 2018-08-02, 11:53   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The straw straw fruit? Not what I expected. Will he manipulate Luffy's strawhat and have him fight against it?

A 19% chance of surviving is pretty damn high by shounen standards. Then again, even if Oda had made the number lower, it's not like the readers or even Luffy would have believed he would die.

Glad my fears didn't come true and Luffy and Zoro managed to fight just fine.
Old 2018-08-02, 14:52   Link #5
Rainbowman

This chapter’s highlights: Hawkins straw based power and the reunification with the Heart Pirates.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-02, 19:41   Link #6
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The straw straw fruit? Not what I expected. Will he manipulate Luffy's strawhat and have him fight against it?

A 19% chance of surviving is pretty damn high by shounen standards. Then again, even if Oda had made the number lower, it's not like the readers or even Luffy would have believed he would die.

Glad my fears didn't come true and Luffy and Zoro managed to fight just fine.
Well, Luffy's odds to survive never reaches 0%. Hawkins already tried that multiple times during Battle of Marineford. So, i do hope that will happen here as well.

The title makes me curious though.

Last edited by Ramero; 2018-08-02 at 21:27.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-02, 21:37   Link #7
teejmo

You know, I have trouble seeing the Straw Hats teaming up with Hawkins in the future like a certain mafia boss, as a few people were speculating. Sure, Capone wasn't exactly the greatest person in the world, but he also wasn't the type to sacrifice crew members.
teejmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 00:11   Link #8
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Well, Luffy's odds to survive never reaches 0%. Hawkins already tried that multiple times during Battle of Marineford. So, i do hope that will happen here as well.
Realistically speaking, his chance of survival should be 100%. Every reader knows that he is the main character and has a plot shield. I think this should also show in-story.

I wonder if Hawkins' power only work on volunteers, or if he can re-direct the damage to just anyone who is close by.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 01:03   Link #9
Ramero

Actually he can redirect the damage to someone else that he already "tagged". If you remember when he got shot by Kizaru at early fight, two pirates from far away take his damage.

Most likely it won't work for Haki users perhaps? Or maybe when he's out of doll. He got shot by Kizaru twice and narrowly escaped before Apoo save him with injury on chest.
Old 2018-08-03, 01:29   Link #10
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejmo View Post
You know, I have trouble seeing the Straw Hats teaming up with Hawkins in the future like a certain mafia boss, as a few people were speculating. Sure, Capone wasn't exactly the greatest person in the world, but he also wasn't the type to sacrifice crew members.
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see Hawkins lend the strawhats a hand if it was a mutually beneficial situation. Maybe if Hawkins had the chance to regain his freedom he'd take it, or perhaps there will be some other motivating factor. Look at all the others that have helped Strawhat in the past, Crocodile, Buggy, Ceaser, etc.

I think a better question would be, If Hawkins does end up helping the strawhats down the road, will it be a one time situational thing, or will they join an alliance?
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 08:52   Link #11
marvelB

Heh, I like how Oda introduces a woman with a completely unique design (she looks like she came straight out of an ukiyo-e painting).... only to immediately follow that up by introducing another woman who's basically a Robin clone with a smaller nose, lol. Well, at least neither of them are Nami clones, I guess...

Anyway, as far as a potential Hawkins alliance goes, I do agree that he hasn't shown himself to be good buddy material for Luffy, especially considering how little he thinks of sacrificing others as meat shields. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if he were plotting against Kaidou behind his back, and as already stated, if they share a common goal, then why not? Technically, none of the supernovas Luffy allied with were saints themselves, in the first place....
Old 2018-08-03, 09:40   Link #12
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

the only thing that I wanted to see if Hawkins and Strawhat worked together is that Hawkins' abilities would troll both members and enemies together
should be funny to see Sanji, Chopper, Nami, or Usopp reaction
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 11:41   Link #13
marvelB

BTW, I forgot to mention it earlier, but I find it curious that Oda introduced another lady named Tsuru when we already have the vice admiral who shares the same name (VA Tsuru even often has the "O" prefix added to her name). Wonder if there's any significance to that.....?
Old 2018-08-03, 13:00   Link #14
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
This chapter’s highlights: Hawkins straw based power and the reunification with the Heart Pirates.
For me it was O-Tama holding Luffy's hand in that one panel. So cute!

Don't want heart pirates to steal too much panel time.

Hawkins was confirmed to be a standard New World Pirate in bounty and powers, at least the TS-training hasn't gotten ridiculed.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-03, 18:32   Link #15
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
BTW, I forgot to mention it earlier, but I find it curious that Oda introduced another lady named Tsuru when we already have the vice admiral who shares the same name (VA Tsuru even often has the "O" prefix added to her name). Wonder if there's any significance to that.....?
I also think about it as well. Does Oda make a mistake or maybe this could be Vice Admiral Tsuru's homeland? When the title was said, i start to think that Oda may plan for VA Tsuru's return.
Old 2018-08-05, 19:24   Link #16
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Since Tsuru knows Tama, I wonder if she used to be from the same village.
Old 2018-08-10, 15:35   Link #17
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Hawkins was confirmed to be a standard New World Pirate in bounty and powers, at least the TS-training hasn't gotten ridiculed.
Even so, Oda has treated the “TS-training” for the Strawhat crew the way the Elder Stars has treated the Void Century. The two things I cannot stand in a story that has damaged my mentality are Separation Anxiety and Change without Consent.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-08-11, 01:00   Link #18
Ramero

Glad the holiday break coincides with WSJ break or maybe WSJ also need to take a break as well due to holiday. Hopefully next week will continue.