AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-08-29, 15:07   Link #1
unseen

Question Any pocketable handheld that can playback High-res anime? x264, HD, mkv

I have been looking for awhile for some sort of handheld (pocketable) device that can actually playback High-Resolution videos. Of course my main concern is playing back all mine anime with as little video conversion/transcoding as possible. I heard of hardware acceleration for H264 but specific info about x264 encoded mkv files at all. I have asked in other forum but they aren't familiar with x264/H264 mkv animes at all

Does anyone here have any information about this? Any actually got the x264 mkvs to playback nicely on any handheld?
unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 15:20   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

The Zune HD that supposed to come out on September which have support for 720p playback with Nvidia's Tegra platform, but only on the HDTV with the HDMI port and doesn't support MKV, which you would be out of luck with... There are others that support playback of HD videos, but not MKV files, some might do, but no full support for ASS subtitles.

I have yet seen a handheld that supports MKV and have full support for SSA/ASS subtitles, this is because it's not a recognized industry standard. Even if it supports it, the implementation won't be that great anyways. You are better off just transcoding it and hardcoding the subtitles.

The only viable option is getting a Netbook and installing CoreAVC and CCCP and play your video files if you don't want to transcode them again.

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-08-29 at 20:26.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 20:02   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Take a look at the COWON A3. However, you probably want to read this thread on their forums about ASS support.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-29, 22:54   Link #4
Cipher

hoping for hdpsp
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-30, 00:27   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
If you have some good SMT soldering skills, you can convert an Acer Aspire One into an HD video powerhouse. The Aspire One has extra pads for a second Mini-PCIe slot, so if you're skilled you can put in a Broadcom Crystal HD Video Accelerator without removing the wifi card.

Alternatively any netbook can use the Broadcom card if you remove the wireless card.