Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-19, 07:18   Link #941
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRichard View Post
No need to be a manga/novel reader to have this impression about Hero. Your questions is something that the character is asking for himself too.

In EP2, after the serfs were made humans, he's thinking about how little he's done since he belonged to Maou.

In EP3, he can't even do a farmer's work.
Hero: "I wanted to work the fields with everyone else"
Maou: "You tried once, and it was disastrous. You couldn't control your strength"

Hero's lack of use right now is not much of a flaw as it is a plot point.
Thankfully, he was given a task now that only he can fulfill.
But he kept everyone stocked in meat during the winter, so there's that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
I think people are overemphasizing this. Think about how this episode ended.

Demon King: "Some of the Demon Lords are getting uppity. Take this massive suit of black armor and go kill them."
Hero: "Got it."
Nobody's denying he's good muscle. They're just disappointed he seems lacking in the brain department.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 08:08   Link #942
zero7090

The head maid is more awesome in the anime.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 08:32   Link #943
garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
But he kept everyone stocked in meat during the winter, so there's that.

Nobody's denying he's good muscle. They're just disappointed he seems lacking in the brain department.
this, especially the bolded part I think Yuusha is getting quite an unfair shake, never had he came across as stupid for me. Uneducated, true but he readily and quickly enough adjusted to whatever Maou told him, that's far from being stupid. Not only that but he is personally aware of his limitations. In fact I would dare this people who can so easily brand others as stupid/useless to act better when faced with an unknown that literally turned everything you've learned & believed in upside down.
Old 2013-01-19, 08:40   Link #944
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Talk about potatoes and breast massage...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 09:56   Link #945
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Damm this delicious potato episode.
Because of the potato, i ended up buying potato salad, potato chips/crisp and Hummus for snacks when i should have save money!
Old 2013-01-19, 10:12   Link #946
EroKing

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-01-19, 10:41   Link #947
Jaden

This seems like one of those stories that needs a lot of world-building before it can take off, and I don't mind that. I like creative and evocative fantasy settings.

By the way, is there any explanation in the story for why people use titles for names?
Old 2013-01-19, 10:48   Link #948
Cyprene

There's a very lengthy and good one in the commentary at the end of one of the books, but it boils down to the need to allow anyone to pick up and follow the story quickly, as well as the fact that it's based off of Dragon Quest which does the same thing.
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 11:45   Link #949
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Ergh. This episode was lacking. It's probably because of the entire mood literally never changes throughout the entire episode, the reinterpretations to certain scenes, or the lack of weight to each character's emotions.

The Demon Queens/Crimson Scholar's inventions and discoveries were always supposed to be looked through a long term perspective. The introduction of the potato held huge implications to creating a stable supply of food to the impoverished nation of Winter Nation for generations to come. There was great emphasis placed on Female Knight's reaction to the potato that is almost made her seem desperate to recruit the aid of Crimson Scholar. Even in the Ishida version, the DQ commented on how appropriate the introduction of the potato should have been warranted by Female Knight. However, in the anime her reaction was lukewarm at best. I think it was best captured when they changed the scene slightly by feeding a potato dish to Female Knight and she responded with "This is delicious".
I think the main reason you see a reduction in Female Knights reactions is because they merge the scenes of Maou Explaining the Potato (to hero in the manga and novel) with her using it to recruit knight into spreading them ( where giving the same info about the potato would be redundant) . If Knight had the same reactions she wouldn't need the follow up explanation and once the talk starts to get more into the recruting scene her reactions began to match up more with what you have seen in the other adaptations.
Quote:
This also carries over to the introduction of the new compass to the Merchant's Guild.
I think the introduction to the guild/union/alliance played out pretty much the same in all the versions I've seen .
Quote:
Disappointed with how Big Sister Maid has been acting lately too. She was never this mopey in the manga and I'm not sure why she is acting all mopey as well.
Last Ep sure her feelings about starvation most definitely in all the adaptations I've read and it was pretty clear it was because the other serfs were treating themselves like bugs by saying they could never be like the maids as they were born to a different world. I think she might be picking up Head Maids berserk button about bugs. Oh well I guess it's not important as I'm sure it will never have any relevance in the future.
Quote:
They cut out part of the end where Female Knight also agreed with Crimson Scholar that this was not divine intervention.
I'm not sure that is part of the novels it doesn't show up in the other 2 manga adaptations.
Quote:
Yuusha saying that the spirit does exist was never in the manga.
Hero is a Paladin in all versions of the story while he is not as religious as Lady Knight he knows it exist because it grants him his powers. I don't think we are to take that he hears it's voice literally.

Though i realy wish they had done the whole talk about hero's propaganda

Quote:
Originally Posted by novel
Hero: “Un, things like ‘Stand up and defeat the demons!’ and such. The ladies in pretty clothes would stand on the battlements and sing, and will even give victory signs.”

Maou: “That’s probably political propaganda, you could probably make a few thousand gold coins.”

Hero: “My payment was only fifteen coins! Wuwuwuwu, I... how can I...”

Maou: “Don’t be so down, Hero.”

Hero: “I’ve been duped by them.”

Maou: “That can’t be helped, economy isn’t your strong point.”

Hero: “That pretty lady looked at me with teary eyes, and said things like ‘I’m a fan of yours!’, so I rushed to the demon world all excited.”

Maou: “...”

Hero: “The young man who commissioned me said he’d wait for my return to hold a feast, and also elbowed me twice and said ‘you’re really popular with the ladies’, I was ecstatic... now that I think about it, that young man is probably a merchant.”

Maou: “...”

Hero: “Wuwuwuwuwu, I’m such a stupid Hero.”

Maou: “Humph, looks like I’ll have to be more strict with you.”

Hero: “So those people are the enemy!” Draws sword

Maou: “Ah~don’t go scaring people like that.”

Hero: “No, they are the enemy. I’m going to use the highest order area lightning spell to take care of them.”

Maou: “Don’t use siege level spells to nuke one or two people!”
Hero: “But they tricked me!” Streaming tears

Maou: “Are you a kid? Anyways, the Union doesn’t have a collective will. They are merchants who gather for the sake of their own profit, thus in the end the only that that keeps expanding is the organization, the personal will are not involved. Although you feel you’ve been tricked, but the other did not mean to lie to you. Even if you take revenge, the Union will only be hurt superficially if at all.”

Hero: “The more I hear about it the more angry I get”

Maou: “They are neither an enemy or a friend, more like a wild beast.”

Hero: “...”

Maou: (Or is it...)

Hero: “Un~ I’ve never heard of anything like this before!”
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.

Last edited by kagato3; 2013-01-19 at 12:05.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 15:24   Link #950
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i just realize there is another use for potato that both the manga and anime ignore.

Whiskey
Old 2013-01-19, 15:33   Link #951
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i just realize there is another use for potato that both the manga and anime ignore.

Whiskey
You will be hard pressed to find a food crop that mankind has not converted into alcohol.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 15:43   Link #952
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

Whiskey
Isn't that made from cereal?

Vodka, OTOH, can be made from potato.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 15:49   Link #953
Grey

Quote:
Maou: “Ah~don’t go scaring people like that.”

Hero: “No, they are the enemy. I’m going to use the highest order area lightning spell to take care of them.”

Maou: “Don’t use siege level spells to nuke one or two people!”
Good ol' Hero.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 19:33   Link #954
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Verse 3: Where Have You Been?

Just how cutely funny is watching Maou throwing pouts at Yuusha for going in search of his second old flame, the Mage, and worrying that his first old flame, Knight, will soon arrive as head Prioress of the new convent that soon will be built on the Southern Edge Village.

For the time being, Maou's plan is working. Educating the people in agriculture with reason proved methods in order to increase the number of times to harvest. Then, ask the Convent for help with educating the village's people about their own agricultural methods. This exchange of foreign ideas must be protected through tolerance for new ideas so as they can be implemented. In that way, society begins to grow both intellectually, financially, socially, politically, and spiritually, as human beings from different places around the globe meet each other to share about their methods and secrets.

Of course, everything's doesn't sound as easy as it looks, since right now we have the Alliance whose members only care about getting even more opulent and richer at the expense of leaving the rest of the gigantic masses of people drown in misery, illiteracy, and starvation so as to better control them.
Nonetheless, Maou knows the nature of their deeds, as she's intending to use them as a means to could help at long-term with her goals to pour education, food, and proper resources to both worlds.

Now, returning with the issue on Maou's perceived jealousy upon Yuushas' previous flames, the subtleties clearly showed a lot of repressed sexual chemistry boiling inside Maou. For six months she had Yuusha all by herself, but she didn't take the offensive for the first bite.

Too bad, Maou! You've lost your chance, and Yuusha has gone obliviously away from your -ahem- meat.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 19:48   Link #955
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
*sigh*

I'm sorry, but if I said that I'm happy with the anime conversion, I'd be lying. Lord knows that I want to love the show, and I was tremendously looking forward to it. But in order to explain why, I need to do something I tend to criticize when others do it: By comparing it to my own prior expectations and lamenting that it doesn't match them - and not by taking the show at face value, as-is. Still, I feel I have to.

For me, the reference MaoYuu is the Ishida version, which I love to pieces. I recognize that this interpretation is only one of many possible, but this is where I'm coming from. Compared to it, I feel that the anime is inferior in pretty much every single aspect which it changed.

- The entire quirky humor is missing. The anime is taking itself way too seriously, and it is almost completely devoid of the little funny banter between the characters. Boring.

- Massive reinterpretation of my second favorite character in the show: Female Knight. In both versions she has a short fuse, and she can go into crusader mode easily. But in the Ishida version, this is tempered by kindness, genuine smiles and a sense of humor. Her anime version is an insufferable Saber-II clone slapping the Hero instead of cutely yelling at him, and mean-spiritedly threatening the Demon Queen over Hero instead of the ribbing from the manga. It completely kills her charm (again, way too serious)

- Hero in the anime is a doormat. In the manga, he was trying to escape, while in ep2 he was clearly moving to a consentual kiss. In the anime, their relationship is "sweeter", which isn't necessarily worse, but it's only one more aspect where the show offers less tension.

- Demon Queen only gets flustered in romance things, and is in perfect control otherwise. In the manga she's going through much more (cute and funny) panicky self-doubts. I really miss those.

- I consider the art clearly inferior to the manga. But okay, this can be attributed to personal preference.

In this aspect, it also doesn't help to have almost all names changed from what I got used to. Demon King, Knight, Mage, Alliance... "these aren't the droids you've been looking for".

So I'm sorry, but I can't join the chorus of happiness. This interpretation isn't necessarily bad, but it's much less funny, much less lively-intense and taking itself way too seriously to really convince me. In my most humble opinion, it's been done better before. MUCH better.
Hate to say it - but I hafta agree with many of these criticisms ... after ep 2 I have found the series to be disengaging and cardboardy character wise. Kind of a pity, and I don't totally blame the animators. Seems to me that this series would be a "tough sell" to begin with, but ah well. Will drop it for now....
Old 2013-01-19, 22:38   Link #956
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
I think the main reason you see a reduction in Female Knights reactions is because they merge the scenes of Maou Explaining the Potato (to hero in the manga and novel) with her using it to recruit knight into spreading them ( where giving the same info about the potato would be redundant) . If Knight had the same reactions she wouldn't need the follow up explanation and once the talk starts to get more into the recruting scene her reactions began to match up more with what you have seen in the other adaptations.
MaoYuu focus on macroeconomics cannot be stressed enough. This is an essential part of its world building to make the readers and viewers take a different perspective on how the actions and reactions of its characters to Crimson Scholar's inventions and discoveries. Every major character in the novel or manga are highly aware of the social, political, and economic environment they live in. If you do not effectively highlight this element found in the novel/manga then you are not following the spirit of what the entire story is about. It's really to break away from the simple mold of Hero's world into a much more complicated and realistic mechanics the world actually operates by. The lax attitude in the anime really doesn't help emphasize how important these machinations by Crimson Scholar is or what she is trying to accomplish.
Quote:
I think the introduction to the guild/union/alliance played out pretty much the same in all the versions I've seen.
In the manga I felt that the Union Merchants were completely shocked by the discovery. They really couldn't be more surprised by what they held in their hands. In the anime it felt like they merely surprised about something pleasantly falling in their lap. There was no weight or impact felt about the machine, but it might be too early as to judge until a certain scene has passed.
Quote:
Last Ep sure her feelings about starvation most definitely in all the adaptations I've read and it was pretty clear it was because the other serfs were treating themselves like bugs by saying they could never be like the maids as they were born to a different world. I think she might be picking up Head Maids berserk button about bugs. Oh well I guess it's not important as I'm sure it will never have any relevance in the future.
I'm curious on what specific feeling you could derive from Big Sis Maid from the Ishida manga? When I read that particular scene I really could discern the vaguest emotion from the look she gave the three stooges. But she actually never really calls the Warrior Noble out that one line, nor was she so obviously emotional about it.
Quote:
I'm not sure that is part of the novels it doesn't show up in the other 2 manga adaptations.
Quote:
Hero is a Paladin in all versions of the story while he is not as religious as Lady Knight he knows it exist because it grants him his powers. I don't think we are to take that he hears it's voice literally.
I'm pretty sure the manga never mentions about Hero being anything more than being a Hero, which is kind of the point.
Old 2013-01-19, 23:10   Link #957
GundamZZ
残念美人

Since we are talking about anime, manga source is not comparable.

Based on the anime, the hero seemed to be more strong than he seems to be.
So, the battle skill ranking could be like this:

1. hero, witch
2. demon lords
3. an army
4. female knight, butler
5. standard hero unit
6. soldiers
7. farmers/serfs
8. merchant
9. kings, nobles
10. maou, prince of winter kingdom
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 23:32   Link #958
takai
Easy Muffin

Well, this was better than the second episode. But, it's still boring, dry, and the characters are less than engaging. I understand that this is very dialogue heavy that focuses on plot more than anything, but it feels as if nothing is happening, or it isn't going anywhere, or that anything is getting done. It feels like we've been stuck in the same place since episode 2. Yuusha is weak too, which doesn't help. He's not even returning feelings back to Maou, who really put herself out there by telling him how she feels. That forehead thing was especially weak. Maou is easily the most interesting, and even then, she's not really that interesting.

I'll give this one or two more episodes before I drop it.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-19, 23:46   Link #959
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Hmm... reading all these comments about episode 3 is really fun ^_^.

So, how’s my impression on eps 3? In short: I agree with what Mentar said, but as a direct adaptation of the novel, it’s not that bad.

For someone who was disappointed by eps 2, I’d say eps 3 has done a better job. The explanation of the potato to the Female Knight is not as boring as it could be, the character’s facial expression is more “alive” than the drab eps 2 that I manage to feel their emotion better (a big thank you to Female Knight’s VA that makes this episode more lively). Nice setup for the upcoming “confrontation” with the Alliance and Yuusha’s quest to return order to Demon World and find Female Magician. Oh, and like others have mentioned, they apparently moved what should’ve been the highlight of eps 2 here, which is the Head-Maid making fun of the “you know what” meat .

Now for the negative. There are some significant omission and changes that bugged me. Like others have mentioned, for a smart person, Female Knight’s reaction to the benefit of potatoes is incredibly lacking. I mean, she was faced with the most important discovery of the country (if not for the entire human world). Potato is pretty much the key to end starvation and to end Southern Countries’ helplessness and independence to the Central which also a part of her church’s goal. Also, aside from the education aide, the church pretty much got it for free! Still, knowing all that, what did we get out of Female Knight? Her reaction is like seeing a product demonstrated by a salesman at best , in other words, not surprised and fired-up enough considering how smart she is. They also omit Female Knight's agreement/concurrence to Maou's last comment which is pretty important for her character imo. Aside from her intelligence got downgraded a bit and some missing details, I have no problem with how they portray Female Knight in this eps. Of course, there are other omission, but they didn’t bother me as much knowing that something must be left out for this adaptation. I just hope that they save Female Knight's sword teaching for the next episode. The pacing is a bit too fast, but not bad enough to throw me off. What I’m worrying is if they decide to make the pacing even faster after this. If that’s the case, this will end up just like Zetman which is not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elestia View Post
Yuusha saying that the spirit does exist was never in the manga.
Umm...yes, it's very much present in the manga .

To quote it directly:
Maou: What...God exist?
Yuusha: It's not "God". It's the Spirit of Light.
Old 2013-01-20, 00:34   Link #960
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Umm...yes, it's very much present in the manga .

To quote it directly:
Maou: What...God exist?
Yuusha: It's not "God". It's the Spirit of Light.

Actually no. That scene is just Yuusha correcting DQ that the name of their deity is called "Spirit of Light". He was not confirming that the Spirit of Light actually exists.

Tags
economics, fantasy, harem