AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

Old 2006-10-06, 09:08   Link #1
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Kanon - Q & A

This thread is for those with questions about the Kanon anime, manga or game. Please keep discussion about episodes in the relevant threads, the purpose of this thread is to ask questions that can actually be answered as facts from the anime or game.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the anime, manga, or game (or any non-anime source). Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. If you don't know how to use a spoiler tag, please read this FAQ.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-10-06 at 09:37.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 14:47   Link #2
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Mahou’s Showtime Page | Fall Anime Schedule (credit: Kaoru Chujo) | Date&Time.com (time conversion)

Q. When does Kanon air?

A. Fridays at 1:00 AM (Japan time)

Click on the "Date&Time.com" link above to convert to your time-zone.

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-10-06 at 15:02.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 15:26   Link #3
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Is it ok to respond to the Kanon (2002) thread? I noticed someone had a question there and nobody answered it but the thread appears to have been dead since January.
KenOhki'sRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 15:28   Link #4
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenOhki'sRage
Is it ok to respond to the Kanon (2002) thread? I noticed someone had a question there and nobody answered it but the thread appears to have been dead since January.
Yep. That thread is there for everyone to chat about the original 2002 release. Feel free to reply and bring it back from the dead. Cheers.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 15:32   Link #5
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Thanks for the quick answer. It's nice to be making new friends on an old forum through Kanon. I don't believe I've ever looked forward to a show more then this. I've loved Kanon for years.

I'll repost my questions here from the general discussion thread.

Spoiler for about the kitsune:

Spoiler for about Mai:

Last edited by KenOhki'sRage; 2006-10-06 at 16:26.
KenOhki'sRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 16:45   Link #6
monster

What's the difference between the Prelude, Promo, and Trailer? And which one (if any) has an actual story in it? Or are they all just advertisements for the series?

In other words, if I just go straight to the first episode, would I miss something that's on the prelude/promo/trailer?

Oh, and one other thing, is this just a reanimation of the 2002 version or is it a different take on the series?

Thanks in advance.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 21:20   Link #7
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
What's the difference between the Prelude, Promo, and Trailer? And which one (if any) has an actual story in it? Or are they all just advertisements for the series?
Different groups named the various stuff that was on the promotion DVD differently. None has any real story, they're just teasers/trailers/series promotion.
Most of the group's "prelude" is the same thing (SS-Eclipse calls it "promo", and a.f.k. spliced in the TV OP and ED in their version). The SS-Eclipse "trailer" is a shorter (1:20, as opposed to the prelude's 3:20), no-dialogue trailer.

Quote:
In other words, if I just go straight to the first episode, would I miss something that's on the prelude/promo/trailer?
No.

Quote:
Oh, and one other thing, is this just a reanimation of the 2002 version or is it a different take on the series?
It's a different take on the series (the 2002 version only had 13 eps, for example, whereas this one will have 24).
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 01:35   Link #8
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Different groups named the various stuff that was on the promotion DVD differently. None has any real story, they're just teasers/trailers/series promotion.
Most of the group's "prelude" is the same thing (SS-Eclipse calls it "promo", and a.f.k. spliced in the TV OP and ED in their version). The SS-Eclipse "trailer" is a shorter (1:20, as opposed to the prelude's 3:20), no-dialogue trailer.

No.

It's a different take on the series (the 2002 version only had 13 eps, for example, whereas this one will have 24).

I'm not sure if a different take is a good way to describe it. Extending and fleshing out the story, with brand new animation, as well as a slight change in the VA's, and using more of the game soundtrack, is what it feels like to me.

If you didn't like the first anime series, you probably won't like the remake. As it will probably end the same way(or at least on the same game path).

Which is fine by me as I loved the first series(all except that chin of death! )
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 01:55   Link #9
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Is there any information on what drove Kyoto Animation to want to remake Kanon? I don't particular remember much of the original series (( other than there was something mind-fuckish that I can't remember )), but I don't think it was particular that bad that it deems a remake.

I suppose I should be glad I don't recall anything, so my enjoyment value should increase even if my anticipation value isn't high.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 06:51   Link #10
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
@ Nightengale

I believe it can be summed up as "fan reaction after AIR TV". Kanon 2006 was, shall we say, highly in demand.

-Andiyar
Old 2006-10-07, 07:00   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andiyar View Post
I believe it can be summed up as "fan reaction after AIR TV". Kanon 2006 was, shall we say, highly in demand.
That pretty much is the main reason. Of course with people asking it they had no bad thoughts about the Toei version in mind, its just that they knew Kyoani could do a version that works best for the series.
Old 2006-10-07, 12:53   Link #12
ritalman

Send a message via MSN to ritalman
I didn't watch the first series but it seems that it's a remake rather than a sequel, so as I start watching the 2006 one, I don't really need to watch the 2002 before right?
ritalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 13:09   Link #13
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

2002 Kanon is worth a watch, although it will spoil the story should you do it now. I think that if you do, take 2002 as what it is.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 14:31   Link #14
Dark Steno
Zigadongdong!

Send a message via MSN to Dark Steno
Although a remake, is the storyline might have some changes?
Dark Steno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 15:25   Link #15
Diedrupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Steno View Post
It should. For instance, it should be faithful to the game's storylines which are much darker and depressing than the toei anime.
Diedrupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 19:12   Link #16
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Steno View Post
Well, the fact that it has twice the amount of episodes is what you should be thinking about. Kyoani had a lot more time to add in more facts from the game~
Old 2006-10-07, 21:03   Link #17
Dark Steno
Zigadongdong!

Send a message via MSN to Dark Steno
I see. This really brings back memories as I am used to be a fan of this anime. I mean, the previous one.
Dark Steno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 17:08   Link #18
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Question! Does anybody here ever heard of Tsukimiya Ayu no Taikutsu (sp?)? What is it then?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 19:26   Link #19
Minoto

It's a parody of the Suzumiya Haruhi OP done with footage from the Kanon prelude disc -- check google, and you should be able to find it available for downloading, if you want to see it.
Minoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 08:19   Link #20
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Thoughts on Kanon 2006 v 2002 ("better" v "different")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Is there any information on what drove Kyoto Animation to want to remake Kanon? I don't particular remember much of the original series (( other than there was something mind-fuckish that I can't remember )), but I don't think it was particular that bad that it deems a remake.
For my part, I'd say the thought which streamed through my noggin was something to the effect of, "Wow, after seeing AIR, I wonder how Kanon could benefit from KyoAni's royal treatment."

Much to my delight, I learned earlier this year that it was actually happening.

By absolutely no means am I saying the previous one was "bad". Just "different". As one person has said, if you have seen the 2002 ToeiAni version, which I have seen and enjoyed, take it as what it is, another adaptation of the same story. This is much like their motion picture version of AIR was, only they had much less time to work with, unlike episodic television.

So I don't look at either pair and say "Which is better than the other?" I look more and say, "What are they doing that's different from the other?"

Another thought which recently came to mind which concerns the series run length. Did Air's run length (including both specials, but excluding the summary ep) reasonably match the scenario they were trying to follow? I can't say since I have not played the game, though apparently, ToeiAni's version of Kanon doesn't come close, if KyoAni's going to try to match Kanon's.

To wrap up, my personal advice about whether or not to watch the 2002 ToeiAni version, I'd sort of advise against it for now, if anything to keep you from finding out what might lie ahead. However, given that it's a remake, well, YMMV (and so will everyone else's for that matter).

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote