AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-02-27, 11:25   Link #541
ScrewySquirrel

the numbner of references that flew by in this episode was ridiculous!

Just off teh top of my head:
Dexter's Lab
Akira
1930s Disney/Warner Bros - that B&W rubber hose animation was even animated at 24 fps instead of 12
Disney's Sleeping Beauty
Your Name
Star Wars
Luluco
Winamp
Shojo/Yuri
Ace Attorney
Trasformers Live Action or possibly Terminator
Full Metal Alchemist/Attack On Titan/Spirited Away
Entourage
Pyramid Head

and there's dozen I'm probly missing/forgetting right now. but Trigger's "Westaboo" is really showing here.
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-27, 11:57   Link #542
Vegard Aune

Previously I have been saying that this show is remarkably wholesome for a Trigger work, to the extent that it could probably air on Disney Channel with no edits whatsoever and nobody but the most extreme soccer moms would find anything to complain about...
...then came Sucy's subconscious flat-out executing ideas they did not like. Okay, that might be a bit much for Disney Channel...

Not that I'm complaining, this episode was brilliant.
Old 2017-02-27, 12:24   Link #543
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This episode was trippy as fuck. Brilliant. Sucy sure has a complicated psyche.
Old 2017-02-27, 12:52   Link #544
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Damm, that was a chaotic episode and well done.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-27, 14:18   Link #545
Wandering Soul

I expected trippiness and I got it in spades. Sucy's mind is definitely a unique place. I like how the episode also had its sweet moments and showed just how much Duct values her friendship with Ako. I also like all the references they were able to cram in.
Old 2017-02-27, 16:03   Link #546
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

This really was one of the weirdest acid trips I've ever seen, even for Trigger's standards . Loved it. It was like a freakier version of Pixar's Inside Out (down to the common theme of parts of our character that aren't useful any more 'dying'). Loved the references (Sleeping Beauty was an especially unusual and on-point one), and the black-and-white old style cartoon sequence was absolute gold.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-27, 17:58   Link #547
James Rye

Man, tripping on mushrooms the episode. It was awesome! Moar shrooms please! XD
Old 2017-02-27, 20:34   Link #548
s07195
However,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Previously I have been saying that this show is remarkably wholesome for a Trigger work, to the extent that it could probably air on Disney Channel with no edits whatsoever and nobody but the most extreme soccer moms would find anything to complain about...
...then came Sucy's subconscious flat-out executing ideas they did not like. Okay, that might be a bit much for Disney Channel...

Not that I'm complaining, this episode was brilliant.
It's one thing I've been pondering over... who is this show aimed towards? The core message is kid-friendly but it feels like what we would call the periphery demographic (basically us and other people who are older) are actually the main demographic instead. Things like this episode (and all its references), and things like the boxer shot of Andrew in Ep. 6 probably wouldn't fly on a channel like NHK.

Then again, if Trigger is going full "Westaboo" on us... it's not like Cartoon Network cartoons were all that kid-friendly all of the time either. Courage the Cowardly Dog scared the shite outta me when young, I remember being traumatized by the zombie magician episode of PPG as well. I guess this stuff has its place then.
Old 2017-02-27, 22:01   Link #549
Harbinger
Squirrel Master

And thus, the OTP has been born!

...not really.

The Delusions of our MC and her party are quite entertaining.
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-27, 22:17   Link #550
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well a Sucy episode with a whole lot of references but the drive in movie theater was the best part Atsuko looks better in the 30s style
Old 2017-02-28, 08:19   Link #551
s07195
However,

The ending somehow reminds me of Haruhi Ep. 6.

"The world as we know it may have been recreated again last night." Koizumi Itsuki Lotte Janson

"There is a goddess, and she looooooves shrooms. Quote by an anonymous person
Old 2017-02-28, 09:51   Link #552
Panzercracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrewySquirrel View Post
the numbner of references that flew by in this episode was ridiculous!

Just off teh top of my head:
Dexter's Lab
Akira
1930s Disney/Warner Bros - that B&W rubber hose animation was even animated at 24 fps instead of 12
Disney's Sleeping Beauty
Your Name
Star Wars
Luluco
Winamp
Shojo/Yuri
Ace Attorney
Trasformers Live Action or possibly Terminator
Full Metal Alchemist/Attack On Titan/Spirited Away
Entourage
Pyramid Head

and there's dozen I'm probly missing/forgetting right now. but Trigger's "Westaboo" is really showing here.
I think the aquatic Sucy monster that climbling inside a cylinder building is a reference of Resident Evil 6, Final boss - Haos of Chris's campaign.
Panzercracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-28, 15:54   Link #553
ScrewySquirrel

does anyone fear the netflix dub will be a letdown on this show?
Old 2017-02-28, 16:11   Link #554
akumaten

The psyche of Sucy is truly an enigma....as it should be. Best episode so far for best girl.
akumaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-28, 16:31   Link #555
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Hopefully not. I want anime I can introduce my younger relatives to! >.<
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-28, 16:47   Link #556
grecefar

that sucy movie was the best.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-28, 17:09   Link #557
Slayerx

Quote:
Well there is already a dub for the OVA; don't know if they would use the same actors for the series. I'm not sure i'd call it a bad dub, but its not good. The dialogue sometimes felt like it didn't match with the lip sync and i think voices could have been better. One obvious thing i would have liked is that, instead of giving Diana a normal voice, i would have preferred a voice accent that sounded a bit more artisticratic just to reinforce that highborn nature of hers. Though those dubs were made over a year ago, so who knows
Old 2017-02-28, 20:49   Link #558
ScrewySquirrel

my worry is mostly on just how GOOD the voice acting for Akko (PISCES SENSEI!!!!!) and Sucy (woman of 1000 voices) were in the last two weeks. can the dub actors climb that high?
Old 2017-02-28, 23:29   Link #559
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
The dialogue sometimes felt like it didn't match with the lip sync...
You are literally the first person I've ever seen in an anime forum who complained about that. I've heard far more complaints from people complaining that the dialogue was stilted and artificial in a particular series so that it would match the lip flaps. People are smart enough to understand that this series might not have originally aired in the language they're hearing it. If they're off a bit, that's not a big deal.
Old 2017-03-01, 10:13   Link #560
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
You are literally the first person I've ever seen in an anime forum who complained about that. I've heard far more complaints from people complaining that the dialogue was stilted and artificial in a particular series so that it would match the lip flaps. People are smart enough to understand that this series might not have originally aired in the language they're hearing it. If they're off a bit, that's not a big deal.

I find weak lip syncing to be very distracting. Good lip syncing can make or break a performance; animation is all about creating the illusion of life, convincing the audience that a bunch of drawings are living breathing people. Poor lip syncing can break the illusion. Heck you could actually find a good voice for a character, but if the lip sync is off then it can make the voice feel like it does not match the character. This is why dubbing companies work so hard to make sure the lip sync matches up even though they are working with animation that was done in another language. They can even go so far as to make minor edits to the footage in order to help make the lip sync work. Heck even people who make abridged series do it. I mean how often do you notice bad lip syncing in a funimation dub? Voice actors and editors don't get as much credit as they deserve

Now granted one thing i do wonder is if the higher quality animation of the OVA's could be make dubbing it more difficult than it would for the series. TV series usually exploit short cuts to speed up the process and cut down the cost. For lip syncing this means not animating the mouth so that the mouth shapes matches the dialogue exactly and instead just having the mouth simply flap open and close in timing with the syllables(except where it would be too obvious, like with O and E sounds). For anime, i think this is one of the things that can make a series easier to dub as the dubbers just need to match up with the mouth flaps; matching exact mouth shapes would be much more difficult. With the OVA's, Trigger would be using fewer shorts cuts and going for a higher quality of animation meaning putting more quality work into the mouths, and that can make dubbing for the english more difficult. So the lip sync problem I see in the OVA might not occur in the series. Not to mention that the Netflix team has also had an extra year to practice their dubbing work

Tags
magic school, slice of life