Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-05, 09:14   Link #821
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Stop this, please. Talking about a character's flaws and issues isn't hating. No one's bashing Diana in this thread.
To me, it does seem from time to time that some people here keep trying to cast Diana in some sort of villainous role. I'm not even sure it's accurate to call her Akko's antagonist. As I said before, the antagonism seems more rooted in Hannah's and Barbera's behavior. Why Diana continues to befriend them is a moot point, though I'd bet she was pretty lonely and friendless while she was growing up.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-05, 11:44   Link #822
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
To me, it does seem from time to time that some people here keep trying to cast Diana in some sort of villainous role. I'm not even sure it's accurate to call her Akko's antagonist. As I said before, the antagonism seems more rooted in Hannah's and Barbera's behavior. Why Diana continues to befriend them is a moot point, though I'd bet she was pretty lonely and friendless while she was growing up.
I can't help but weigh in here from an obvious different point of view. Diana does antagonize Akko if to antagonize means "to cause (someone) to feel hostile or angry : to irritate or upset (someone)" [Webster's], or "to make someone dislike you or feel opposed to you" [CED]. Heckle and Jeckle, do as well, but there is no doubt that Diana's behaviour towards Akko makes Akko irritated and upset, and makes her feel like Diana is an opponent. So, yes, by definition, Diana is Akko's antagonist.

But, of course, just because Diana is rude and condescending toward Akko, and treats her like scum, does not mean that she's a villian. Yet. And she may never become one.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-05, 17:26   Link #823
Magewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
I can't help but weigh in here from an obvious different point of view. Diana does antagonize Akko if to antagonize means "to cause (someone) to feel hostile or angry : to irritate or upset (someone)" [Webster's], or "to make someone dislike you or feel opposed to you" [CED]. Heckle and Jeckle, do as well, but there is no doubt that Diana's behaviour towards Akko makes Akko irritated and upset, and makes her feel like Diana is an opponent. So, yes, by definition, Diana is Akko's antagonist.

But, of course, just because Diana is rude and condescending toward Akko, and treats her like scum, does not mean that she's a villian. Yet. And she may never become one.
Dianna takes magic and learning about it seriously. Akko did not at the start of the show, we know that she does now but all that Diana has seen is her acting the clown even after that. And I think Diana has started to lose patience with her.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-05, 17:36   Link #824
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
we know that she does now but all that Diana has seen is her acting the clown even after that. And I think Diana has started to lose patience with her.
That's not excuse though. Specially considering how harsh she has been lately.

Jumping to conclusions is one of her character flaws though. It was the same when she assumed she could fix the tree in episode 2 without doing a proper research, and then assumed again that the butterflies were parasites. Jumping to conclusions without having the whole picture is a main trait of her characterization.

But that's okay, because now that she's starting to realize she's like that, she has the chance to re-evalute herself and grow as a person. This is all leading to character development no doubt.
Old 2017-04-05, 17:53   Link #825
Tenzen12

Until recently she was pretty moderate actually. It's not surprising she is starting become harsher as Akko even after all that time still causes trouble for around...
Old 2017-04-05, 18:58   Link #826
Kazu-kun

Surprising or not, Lotte put her in her place and Akko showed her up. I wonder how she's gonna react now. It's gonna be interesting.

Plus it looks like Croix is showing up soon.
Old 2017-04-05, 19:46   Link #827
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Presuming she is a Chariot fan (which seems fair). It might hurt to lose in that sense. Remembering the card that Akko had with the unicorn, I'm sure Diana in some ways wanted to have a Chariot-like moment on that stage. And instead she/we see Akko having the Shiny Rod and using it, and we see her really stealing the show with that performance that even caught Diana's attention.
My take is a little different. My speculation would be that Diana took Shiny Chariots sudden disappearance as a sort of betrayal (which would also explain why she cares uncharactistically for Akko running away). Add to that with her being the heir to a prestigous house and the responsibility that comes with that, and you get a situation where Diana would have had to make an inner resolve to take things seriously, in contrast to flighty entertainers who pull the wool over your eyes, but run away when they feel like it. So under the twin burdens of heritage and a resolve born from betrayal, she's lost the feeling of joy that accompanies magic, and seeing someone else pull through and enjoy it is deeply confusing and also irritating, because it basically contradicts her way of life, but also speaks to her deep down. She can't just enjoy Akko's performance, because she feels that's a betrayal of magic, frivolous. But more than that she can't simply enjoy a performance, because that would mean she's been suppressing her own joy for no reason at all.

I think the show's axis pivots on restraint: Diana has too much, and Akko has too little. But with magic being on the wane, and too many people clinging too much to tradition, Akko's lack of restraint seems situationally more benefitial. I see Diana more as Akko's foil than as her antagonist.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-06, 04:08   Link #828
deadite

Theory time: Akko saved up money to buy the Premium Chariot card only to find out that someone bought it already. Diana most likely bought it to complete her collection but her parents threw away the rest so she's only left with that one Primium card.
deadite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-06, 06:04   Link #829
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Theory time: Akko saved up money to buy the Premium Chariot card only to find out that someone bought it already. Diana most likely bought it to complete her collection but her parents threw away the rest so she's only left with that one Primium card.
You might also speculate that that card will hold the instructions on how to use Shiny Rod to defeat the villains and/or bring Magic back to its former glory, and Diana and Akko will, after a bit of a struggle to build up tension over the next few episodes, eventually join forces to use the card and shiny rod together...
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-06, 14:54   Link #830
Kurohane

Dianna may also be taking from this incident just how messed up their current system is. Not just that Akko's group was disqualified from the Moonlit Witch award, but looking at how apathetic witches were to that poor spirit for what is likely ages. After thinking about what she could do, Akko decided to do something for Vajarois, instead of following tradition and leaving things be. Now, no one has to be "sacrifices" in the future, a tradition that likely only existed to fuel the pecking order.
Old 2017-04-07, 00:33   Link #831
s07195
However,

Fun fact, if you go back to Ep.6 you can see that 'Araiya Reera' (Can't be bothered to find the latin ver) is the first word Chariot awakened.
Old 2017-04-07, 07:00   Link #832
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by s07195 View Post
Fun fact, if you go back to Ep.6 you can see that 'Araiya Reera' (Can't be bothered to find the latin ver) is the first word Chariot awakened.
It's funny that she got the Polaris powerup after awakening only one Word while Akko will probably have to awaken most of them before the fountain deems her worthy of getting the power.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2017-04-07 at 09:12.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 13:09   Link #833
ScrewySquirrel

ep 14 preview is up
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
ScrewySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 13:16   Link #834
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Anyone knows if we're getting a new OP?

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-07, 13:43   Link #835
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Anyone knows if we're getting a new OP?
You can hear the new OP and ED in the 2nd cour PV

They should be coming with episode 14.
Old 2017-04-08, 06:54   Link #836
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
You can hear the new OP and ED in the 2nd cour PV

They should be coming with episode 14.
I'm going to miss the current ED. The OP not so much though
Old 2017-04-08, 07:15   Link #837
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I'm going to miss the current ED. The OP not so much though
The OP wasn't bad but it was pretty forgettable. Something with more character and passion to it would be nice. From what I can hear of the new song, I like it .

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-08, 14:36   Link #838
Kurohane

I'm going to miss both OP and ED. I really like both of them. I found both their tunes to be appropriate for the setting and fit very well. Even though it's basically become the standard for 24-26 series to change OPs and EDs midway, I wish these OP and ED were made an exception.
Old 2017-04-09, 03:43   Link #839
_Ninja_

Next episode screens:

More (possible spoilers I guess): http://www.anime-recorder.com/Articl...ookieSupport=1
_Ninja_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-09, 08:47   Link #840
Tenzen12

As I thought, Diana is likely starting to take it personally, which is not good for her.

Tags
magic school, slice of life