AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2015-10-19, 02:50   Link #321
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i would like to see the characters' reactions to the other meta universes in the crossover video games where the armies, mostly in the U.C. world always seem to stockpile overkill their MS numbers "man they are really rich"
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-19, 04:15   Link #322
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot's Blade View Post
i would like to see the characters' reactions to the other meta universes in the crossover video games where the armies, mostly in the U.C. world always seem to stockpile overkill their MS numbers "man they are really rich"
Expect it whatever the next SRW game is lol
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-19, 21:31   Link #323
Twi

Darn it, what was that trope when common luxuries are rare because of the setting? Paper and wood being rare reminds me of when Pluto Nash complained about breaking his chairs because they were wood... on the moon...
Old 2015-10-20, 01:25   Link #324
kari-no-sugata II

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this before but not the first time Tekketsu (iron-blooded) has been used in context with child soldiers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...ketsu_Kinnotai

Quote:
Tekketsu Kinnotai

The Japanese Imperial Army mobilized 1,780 middle school boys aged 14–17 years into front-line-service. They were named "Tekketsu Kinnotai" (Iron and Blood Imperial Corps). This mobilization was conducted by the ordinance of the Ministry of Army, not by law. The ordinances mobilized the student for a volunteer soldier for form's sake. However, in reality, the military authorities ordered schools to force almost all students to "volunteer" for soldiers. Sometimes they counterfeited the necessary documents of students. And about half of "Tekketsu Kinnotai" were killed such as in suicide attacks against a tank with bombs and in guerrilla operations.

After losing in the Battle of Okinawa in June 1945, the Japanese government enacted new laws in preparation for the decisive battles in the main lands. They were the laws that made it possible boys aged 15 or older and girls aged 17 or older to be drafted into front-line-service.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-20, 02:35   Link #325
wissenschaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
Hmm, I wasn't aware of this before but not the first time Tekketsu (iron-blooded) has been used in context with child soldiers.

One of the reasons President Truman made the decision to employ the Atom Bomb was because of the fear that Japan's government would make its people fight to death. Quite literally. This would be one of the examples that probably informed that decision. Interesting how much unsavory history is just not taught in schools.

Last edited by wissenschaft; 2015-10-20 at 10:25.
wissenschaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-20, 05:48   Link #326
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if they named the show with that in mind as child soldiers is a big theme in this show.

And of course, the Alaya Vijnana thing is to help further that in a more literal sense.
Old 2015-10-20, 07:39   Link #327
kari-no-sugata II

One of the interesting things about this show is the name - unconventionally (though not uniquely) for Gundam, it is not referring to any particular Gundam but a group of people.
Old 2015-10-21, 08:18   Link #328
Wandering Soul

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the name of the show was inspired by that.
Old 2015-10-21, 20:14   Link #329
AHT

EP. 1 TV Ratings
AHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-22, 02:26   Link #330
Zantetsuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHT View Post
EP. 1 TV Ratings
Is that good? Bad? I have no idea how to read it
Old 2015-10-22, 06:25   Link #331
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

That appears to be an age distribution ratings, though personally I don't know how to read it because I don't know how the other stats of other shows of the timeslot are doing.

I think the first one is average ratings of all generations. 2.7% isn't good for a Sunday 5PM timeslot if I am correct. For comparison, AGE's first episode had a rating of 3.8% on the exact same timeslot according to LightningZero some pages ago in this thread and that show got a lot of pre-release hate pretty much everywhere.

We'll have to wait and see whether it recovers for the subsequent episodes.
Old 2015-10-22, 08:45   Link #332
Zantetsuken

English speaking audiences seems to like this, so hopefully Japan will like it too. But who am I kidding, as long as the gunpla sells the exec wont care about the rating
Old 2015-10-22, 09:08   Link #333
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantetsuken View Post
English speaking audiences seems to like this, so hopefully Japan will like it too. But who am I kidding, as long as the gunpla sells the exec wont care about the rating
The problem is that I assume there's some sort of correlation between ratings, DVD/Blu-Ray sales and gunpla most of the time since all of them affect the popularity and exposure of a show because you'll need people to watch a show to get excited over it and buy all the toys. It's probabaly not as important as other anime shows that make revenue mostly through home media sales, but still important nevertheless. There's also an expectation thing, Sunrise will expect a certain level of success for sure given the Gundam brand as well as the timeslot.

But this may also be because of intially exposure related stuff. I mean I was looking forward to this show but not THAT looking forward to it. It was after actually watching episode 1 that my excitement of this show was ignited to become the super excited IBO fan that I am now. So perhaps if the Japanese audiences took it well, that may cause an uptake in future episodes as you said.
Old 2015-10-25, 07:29   Link #334
solidvanz
Special Operative

Post Disaster Timeline (Credit to /m/ anon):

P.D. 0001 The nations of Earth and mars accept the "Vingolf Proclamation" issued by Gjallarhorn. The interplanetary war that has spread destruction through the Earth Sphere and the Outer Sphere comes to an end. This conflict, which has produced more casualties than any in history, is described in the proclamation as the "Calamity War" and is thereafter known by that name.

With the cooperation of Gjallarhorn, Earth is organized into four economic blocs in order to reconstruct the divided Earth Sphere.

These are the African Union, the Oceanian Federation, SAU and Arbrau. Earth begins its post-war recovery under this new world order.

P.D. 0002 At the "Malta Conference" the four economic blocs conclude a treaty to divide and rule Mars. At their request, Gjallarhorn dispatches a large force to recreate the Martian governmental structure form scratch.

P.D. 0003 Gjallarhorn redraws Mars's national borders, and each city is placed under the control of one of Earth's economic blocs. The four economic [last line of last paragraph repeated, omitted] blocs begin wholeheartedly interfering in Martian affairs, and Mars enters a lengthy colonial period.

P.D. 0205 Arbrau's government grants limited autonomy to its martian territories.

P.D. 0208 The Oceanian Federation also recognizes limited autonomy of its Martian territories.

P.D. 0236 Last of all, the African Union also recognizes Martian autonomy. However, as Mars remains subject to harsh economic agreements, it is in effect entering an era of puppet governments.

P.D. 0302 On Mars, a movement begins to protest economic disparities with Earth.

P.D. 0314 In her speech at the "Noachis July Assembly" Kudelia Aina Berenstein calls for economic independence from Earth, and cooperative movements(?) emerge in every city.
Old 2015-10-25, 10:12   Link #335
kari-no-sugata II

Thanks for posting all that. I really wonder what Gjallarhorn is. It seems to have quite an unusual position in the setting.

Some googling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ving%C3%B3lf

Quote:
In Norse mythology, Vingólf is one of the buildings of the gods. It is described as the hall or hörgr of the goddesses and also as a place where righteous men and those slain in battle go after death. It is mentioned in the Prose Edda, Gylfaginning 3 and in the enigmatic poem Hrafnagaldur Óðins.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noachis_Terra

Quote:
Noachis Terra (lit. "Land of Noah") is an extensive southern landmass (terra) of the planet Mars. It lies west of the giant Hellas impact basin, roughly between the latitudes −20° and −80° and longitudes 30° west and 30° east, centered on 45°S 350°ECoordinates: 45°S 350°E. It is in the Noachis quadrangle.
Old 2015-10-25, 17:44   Link #336
Skye629

Quote:
Thanks for posting all that. I really wonder what Gjallarhorn is. It seems to have quite an unusual position in the setting.

Some googling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ving%C3%B3lf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noachis_Terra
Seems like the IBO team is really doing their homework lol
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-26, 09:31   Link #337
The 48th Ronin

I'll assume that:

SAU - Indian Subcontinent + Middle East (probably)
Oceanian Federation - Asia Pacific + AUS/NZ & Americas (probably)
Arbrau - Eurasia + Britain
African Union - Africa, obviously

And Gjallarhorn is like Romefeller/OZ.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-26, 14:42   Link #338
monster

No need to assume, a map of the different blocks was shown in episode 4 and has been posted in the episode 4 thread.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-26, 18:06   Link #339
The 48th Ronin

Oh, my bad. I haven't seen the rest of the episode yet.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 05:15   Link #340
AHT

AHT is offline   Reply With Quote