AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online: Alicization WoU - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 1 11.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 2 22.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 22.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 11.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2019-12-20, 23:06   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Sword Art Online: Alicization WoU - Episode 11 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Sword Art Online: Alicization WoU, Episode 11.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Character bashing is not on-topic and will not be tolerated.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-21, 15:05   Link #2
Frontier

That was an interesting flashback to a moment between Bercouli and Quinella. Usually these flashbacks between Quinella and an Integrity Knight feature her in a position of power or command and her looking down on them in some way, but here with Bercouli it felt more intimate and close between them, almost like they were equals in some regards. Not that it changes the fact that Quinella mentioned she was planning to reboot Bercouli (and Fanatio) before Kirito defeated her, but it's interesting getting another peek at a different, more vulnerable, side of her .

Sleeping with four beauties better have improved Kirito's condition .

I'm starting to feel bad for the Dark Territory armies. They're being sent like lambs to the slaughter over a tightrope and straight into the Integrity Knights who completely outclass them, and Miller even surmises it's somewhat because of their programming being less advanced. But they're still alive in their own way, especially having to watch their comrades die from either the commands of their Emperor or against the superior enemy .

I wasn't expecting this story to turn into Japan vs. America, more or less, between the American government inciting the main conflict or Miller enlisting a bunch of American players to bolster his army. All that Engrish .

Sinon and Leafa join the fight! I'm guessing they're going to use the other Super Accounts to back Asuna up, fittingly as the other Main Arc Heroines of SAO. I did like how they introduced themselves using their online names, as if Kikuoka wouldn't recognize their real names .

Man, it was good to see the rest of the Sleeping Knights in that group shot in ALO. I honestly thought it was only the blue-haired girl and the redhead guy who had survived given they were the only ones in Ordinal Scale .

It's probably easy to take for granted given how famous the SAO incident was, but actually living in SAO and the aftermath is pretty messed up. I mean, you were cut off from your friends and family in this fantasy world where you could have been killed the moment you set off from the first town, and hundreds of people died before they finally cleared the game. Some people even killed each other in the game. Then you get out of the game and have to re-integrate into society, with kids being required to take counseling once a week. And the government views the incident as so traumatizing that every survivor is monitored as a potential violent criminal waiting to happen. Make no mistake, even if survivors try and see the silver lining of their experience, they don't feel better about themselves just through having lived through it .

Lisbeth's speech...I think that was a perfect and heartfelt summation of the main theme of SAO dating back to Aincraid. It's not just a game or something people do to pass the time, it's a reality where they can find fulfillment and live a life just as fulfilling and real as in the actual "real world." A world where people can find love, happiness, tragedy, and true friendship. And that all culminated into a virtual world of people who are virtual but also true individuals with lived lives, the Underworld. What could be a more fulfilling culmination of their experience then that ?

Who was that person in the cloak that Yui brought in? It can't be Yuuki. Argo ?
Old 2019-12-21, 18:44   Link #3
rladls2121

I don't know what to feel about this, all these online game players that are killing Underworld people thinking it's a game are actually doing something that will eventually going to kill more lives all around the "Real World".

And people of the Underworld, Kazuto absolutely treat them as fellow people for real and the world feel real enough for him to be emotionally attached as much in real life.
He has not changed since than, even in the SAO incident I think he cherished almost about everything what is in SAO through the Nerve Gear.

This situation seems way too dangerous, it is insane that people from all sides involving into this is actually decides the future of their world by "playing online video game", or are they even playing a game?
One of the things that is also so dangerous is that some may not live a normal life after all this, any sides of the government may mark them for surveillance.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-21, 19:13   Link #4
Magewolf

That speech was horrible and encapsulates most of the things I hate about the show it only could have been worse by having Kirito make it.

I thought you needed a soul-reader thing to enter Underworld? What kind of bandwidth does the sea turtle have to handle all of that anyway? And shouldn't they have some way to keep their super top secret murder machine experiments from connecting to the internet?

I like that it boils down to America as the bad guys when they are mostly only carrying out a Japanese plan.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-22, 01:16   Link #5
GDB

This was a fun episode (with a few exceptions), and I really like that it looks like the pugilist champion will probably break his seal of the right eye soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Man, it was good to see the rest of the Sleeping Knights in that group shot in ALO. I honestly thought it was only the blue-haired girl and the redhead guy who had survived given they were the only ones in Ordinal Scale .
There was only one other who was estimated to die around the same time as Yuuki, but they said during the funeral that he made a comeback and was getting better "as if Yuuki said he wasn't allowed to leave yet" or something like that.

That said, while I enjoyed seeing them there, I hated that they didn't step forward to help immediately. I feel like it honestly cheapened their characters a lot in that regard.

Quote:
I don't think that was Yui. Pretty sure she was with the gang still. Also didn't quite look like her outfit.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-22, 12:11   Link #6
RDNexus

Quote:
This is only a crazy conjecture of mine...
Spoiler:
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-22, 13:58   Link #7
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
One issue I had with the speech was the timing. I honestly think you need to establish the threat level first before this desperate plea to get help. Yes there is an issue of timing here. Need backup to arrive pretty fast so this doesn't turn into a slaughter. But, I feel like all this crazy running around and emotional speeches doesn't hit as hard since at that moment nothing has actually happened yet.

And the show keeps walking an uneasy line here. The American plot is supposed to be evil...but so is the Japanese plot. Oh, sure they are just starting off with demonstrations. Yeah, I'm sure that's how this is going to turn out. They'll just build an AI army and just use it for demonstration. How is the American plot more evil? At most they are just taking the next step Rath is entirely in favor of taking themselves. Right now it is a war of evil vs evil.

I'm not surprised by the reactions of the crowd. They are being asked to go to war. At 4 in the morning! "Morning everyone, want to fight in a painful war that you can only get out of via death?" Losing their characters and not being compensated is the topping on the cake of horror they are being asked to eat. They aren't entirely wrong about the SAO cast. Look at Kirito in the second arc. He was full on "a game you can't die in is lukewarm" kind of personality. I can totally believe there are survivors that consider regular players to be a cut below them.

But Lisbeth's speech had some points too. They do have a rather extreme lifestyle. Although even with all that counseling and watch list business you still have murder attempts like the one that started this arc...They are living under supervision, restricted lifestyles, and dealing with things they'd rather not have to go through. They weren't winning out in getting into a death game and not winning in life by being potentially traumatized by it.

The only downside to the speech honestly is that while it is a great moment for Lisbeth...it's just a good moment for her. I just kind of feel for Silica or Klein who have been through their own difficult moments but are just kind of just there. They could not be there at all and not much changes here.

I'm not even sure this situation is that bad. With no pain dampening shouldn't most of the US players immediately fall into a panic and run away the second they get scratched? Who wants to fight in a digital war where everything seriously hurts? Or is the idea that Americans are all psycho masochists? I can see the ALO players jumping in hanging in there since they are fighting for some kind of cause. But the guys just there for a beta test?
Old 2019-12-22, 14:38   Link #8
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
There was only one other who was estimated to die around the same time as Yuuki, but they said during the funeral that he made a comeback and was getting better "as if Yuuki said he wasn't allowed to leave yet" or something like that.

That said, while I enjoyed seeing them there, I hated that they didn't step forward to help immediately. I feel like it honestly cheapened their characters a lot in that regard.
I just assumed they were the one group that would for sure go whether the other armies agreed to it or not, so there wasn't really a need for them to step forward when Lisbeth was trying to appeal to everyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
This is only a crazy conjecture of mine...
Spoiler:
Well, they were in the Opening .
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
One issue I had with the speech was the timing. I honestly think you need to establish the threat level first before this desperate plea to get help. Yes there is an issue of timing here. Need backup to arrive pretty fast so this doesn't turn into a slaughter. But, I feel like all this crazy running around and emotional speeches doesn't hit as hard since at that moment nothing has actually happened yet.
Agil mentioned that the timing was more convenient on the American side, so I think there was a sense of desperation in doing it when they did, as early as it was on the Japanese side.
Quote:
And the show keeps walking an uneasy line here. The American plot is supposed to be evil...but so is the Japanese plot. Oh, sure they are just starting off with demonstrations. Yeah, I'm sure that's how this is going to turn out. They'll just build an AI army and just use it for demonstration. How is the American plot more evil? At most they are just taking the next step Rath is entirely in favor of taking themselves. Right now it is a war of evil vs evil.
The Japanese government's side of things is equally as shady, but I think the main thrust is just protecting Alice and the Underworld from the Americans. At least with the Japanese government they know Kikuoka, so there's leverage room for making sure they don't abuse the AI's or The Underworld that there wouldn't be if America got their hands on it. And Miller absolutely should not be near Alice.

In the grand scheme of things they're helping the Undeworld, not the Japanese government.
Quote:
I'm not surprised by the reactions of the crowd. They are being asked to go to war. At 4 in the morning! "Morning everyone, want to fight in a painful war that you can only get out of via death?" Losing their characters and not being compensated is the topping on the cake of horror they are being asked to eat. They aren't entirely wrong about the SAO cast. Look at Kirito in the second arc. He was full on "a game you can't die in is lukewarm" kind of personality. I can totally believe there are survivors that consider regular players to be a cut below them.
In fairness, I'm sure in his head Kirito was also thinking "as long as it's not IRL death ."
Quote:
The only downside to the speech honestly is that while it is a great moment for Lisbeth...it's just a good moment for her. I just kind of feel for Silica or Klein who have been through their own difficult moments but are just kind of just there. They could not be there at all and not much changes here.
Lisbeth at least mentioned Silica when she was talking. I think the whole team felt she was qualified to be able to speak for all of them, and in that speech I agree. I don't think they needed any other voices to interrupt that speech .
Quote:
I'm not even sure this situation is that bad. With no pain dampening shouldn't most of the US players immediately fall into a panic and run away the second they get scratched? Who wants to fight in a digital war where everything seriously hurts? Or is the idea that Americans are all psycho masochists? I can see the ALO players jumping in hanging in there since they are fighting for some kind of cause. But the guys just there for a beta test?
I think the idea is just bolstering the numbers of the Dark Territory forces so as to overwhelm the Integrity Knights, but I also think Miller is expecting them to fight more viciously then the actual Dark Territory citizens since the Americans are expecting this to be a violent game and are willing to go all out.
Old 2019-12-22, 15:56   Link #9
GDB

Quote:
I think the idea is just bolstering the numbers of the Dark Territory forces so as to overwhelm the Integrity Knights, but I also think Miller is expecting them to fight more viciously then the actual Dark Territory citizens since the Americans are expecting this to be a violent game and are willing to go all out.
I think it's more that he doesn't have any faith in the DT AI (and why should he, they've lost over half their troops and only taken only one Integrity Knight and a handful of mook soldiers). At least with those willing to do a beta test, they should have at least "okay" in terms of skill, but with human reasoning (in his mind).
Old 2019-12-23, 08:26   Link #10
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

However Kirito, the one man army champion of SAO, ALO and GGO found himself not being particularly good in the Underworld at first, he never beat Sortiliena Serlut while he was in the academy. It took him several months, a particularly strong weapon and the help of Cardinal to reach the point where he could beat Quinella.

Exactly how are a bunch of players getting in the "game" for the first time supposed to beat the Integrity Knights and a Goddess, when the latter group could dispose of thousands of long time residents who have trained their willpower for decades? If this story was consistent, they wouldn't stand a chance.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-23, 09:11   Link #11
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan-poo View Post
however kirito, the one man army champion of sao, alo and ggo found himself not being particularly good in the underworld at first, he never beat sortiliena serlut while he was in the academy. It took him several months, a particularly strong weapon and the help of cardinal to reach the point where he could beat quinella.

Exactly how are a bunch of players getting in the "game" for the first time supposed to beat the integrity knights and a goddess, when the latter group could dispose of thousands of long time residents who have trained their willpower for decades? If this story was consistent, they wouldn't stand a chance.
Leeeeeeeeeeeroooooooy Jeeeeeeeeennnnnnkiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnns!
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-23, 15:59   Link #12
rladls2121

So if one of these enemy players get to Kirito and kills him in the Underworld and Kazuto dies, that is murder, right?
Kazuto's condition in the "Real World" is still bad if i recall.
Old 2019-12-23, 16:04   Link #13
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
So if one of these enemy players get to Kirito and kills him in the Underworld and Kazuto dies, that is murder, right?
In my (non-lawyery) opinion, even a manslaughter charge would be hard to make stick. It'd also be interesting to see which jurisdiction it'd even be judged in.

You might have more luck with one or more criminal negligence charges, but not against the player who kill Kirito. Agaisnt Rath, or against the terrorists who organized the beta test. (The terrorists would have a whole array of other charges, though...)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-23, 16:08   Link #14
RDNexus

Well, my suspicion (and possibly yours, too) got answered. Courtesy of SAO Wikia's Gamerturk
Spoiler:
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-23, 20:49   Link #15
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
Well in universe all the PK of SAO got scot-free from all the murdering they did and they were fully aware of the consequences of their actions. In this case they don't even know that one among the thousands is a real person that will die if his avatar is killed. Or actually, it will be more like his fluctulight will be irreversibly damaged and he will remain a vegetable, which was the condition he was already in before he dived? There's hardly a case here.

Rather, considering that Asuna recognizes that the artificial fluctulights are equal to humans, is she aware that she killed dozens of them, or is she under the mistaken assumption that the residents of the Dark Territory are NPC? She didn't seem fazed by that in the least.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-23, 22:04   Link #16
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Well in universe all the PK of SAO got scot-free from all the murdering they did and they were fully aware of the consequences of their actions. In this case they don't even know that one among the thousands is a real person that will die if his avatar is killed. Or actually, it will be more like his fluctulight will be irreversibly damaged and he will remain a vegetable, which was the condition he was already in before he dived? There's hardly a case here.

Rather, considering that Asuna recognizes that the artificial fluctulights are equal to humans, is she aware that she killed dozens of them, or is she under the mistaken assumption that the residents of the Dark Territory are NPC? She didn't seem fazed by that in the least.
I'm kind of wondering how many of those soldiers died from that cave in Asuna created, because I doubt Vassago is dead.

I guess she could write it off as "must protect Kirito-kun at all costs" .
Old 2019-12-23, 23:21   Link #17
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
However Kirito, the one man army champion of SAO, ALO and GGO found himself not being particularly good in the Underworld at first, he never beat Sortiliena Serlut while he was in the academy. It took him several months, a particularly strong weapon and the help of Cardinal to reach the point where he could beat Quinella.

Exactly how are a bunch of players getting in the "game" for the first time supposed to beat the Integrity Knights and a Goddess, when the latter group could dispose of thousands of long time residents who have trained their willpower for decades? If this story was consistent, they wouldn't stand a chance.
Kirito started with a basic citizen account. These guys are starting with Dark Knight accounts, which based on what we saw with his right hand man are probably on par with a bottom tier Integrity Knight.

Quote:
I'm kind of wondering how many of those soldiers died from that cave in Asuna created, because I doubt Vassago is dead.
Honestly, I figured he died (well, his Dark Knight avatar) and that was him snooping at the end of this past episode ready to log in with his ALO avatar.

Which honestly is a big problem with these new Dark Knights. If they don't care about the pain of death, there's nothing really stopping them as far as we're aware from just logging back in with another beta account.
Old 2019-12-23, 23:59   Link #18
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Honestly, I figured he died (well, his Dark Knight avatar) and that was him snooping at the end of this past episode ready to log in with his ALO avatar.

Which honestly is a big problem with these new Dark Knights. If they don't care about the pain of death, there's nothing really stopping them as far as we're aware from just logging back in with another beta account.
One way or another I feel like we're very likely to see him again, especially after he singled out Asuna by her SAO identity and we haven't seen anyone properly fight him yet.
Old 2019-12-24, 00:50   Link #19
rladls2121

Even without AI rights of whatever kind of rights am I talking about, those AIs from the Underworld are not 100% replaceable.
If one is gone, it's gone like Eugeo which cannot be recreated by RATH as an exactly the same being or something.
And those AIs are not supposed to be messed around as in any data by a bunch of misguided online game players who thinks this is just a game.
Someone is going to pay up for all the damages done in the Underworld after this.

I don't know how the main characters are going to talk to everyone into their senses in a "War" and/or "War Game", I thought Yui had somes ideas.
I just hope fighting won't end through fighting, no really.

Player's account and pain, and Underworld's AIs, it might not matter which is the most important, they are all a big deal to me.
Old 2019-12-24, 02:12   Link #20
zztop

Quote:

I wasn't expecting this story to turn into Japan vs. America, more or less, between the American government inciting the main conflict or Miller enlisting a bunch of American players to bolster his army. All that Engrish .
IIRC in Kawahara's novel afterwords, he apologized and is aware this plot point has aged rather badly.

When he first wrote this Japan vs USA event in the original SAO WN in 2006, he says it was reflecting general sentiment of Japan's gamers that time, who were less accepting of foreign players in Japanese servers.

Quote:
...there had been an atmosphere of exclusion against foreign players present in the world of Japanese online games back then... But since my writing ability wasn’t up to scratch, I instead created something that resembled what happens when anger is incited against a common enemy, and this has always made me very ashamed.
He considered rewriting this section, but decided to leave it as is since he felt it was like he was running away from his past mistakes.
https://defan752.wordpress.com/sword...-17-afterword/
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote