AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2020-07-05, 05:28   Link #1
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Zenonzard - The Animation

Does anyone know that this Anime exist? It's a series made to promote the Card Mobile Game Zenonzard. Available legally on YT:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube
YouTube

Since I was bored, I watched it on a whim and was pretty impressed. This anime actually has intriguing story, also good & colorful ensemble characters. And damn, when it comes to some necessary plot-points, this show is not pulling any punches.

This is pretty much like Persona 4 - The Animation for card-based mobile game, and just like that show, I really dig the music, the artwork, the dry humor and the overall direction of each episode. And the card-monsters look good in action. Some of them even look as good as Zoids. The story started ultra-generic but developed into a sprawling story quickly in the following episodes.

The anime started 9 months ago and is still continuing. Episode 5 was released just 4 days ago. So, we need to wait a bit longer for Ep. 6 onwards. Pretty much like how you often wait for OVA series in the past like Gundam Unicorn & Broken Blade.

Anyway, Zenonzard - The Animation receives a moderate recommendation from me. This is not Citizen Kane, so tamper your expectation by understanding the medium it is promoting and, who knows, you might have a good time with it.

Old 2020-07-05, 07:05   Link #2
bakato

Been following this as well and loved every second of it. For a glorified card game commerical, the level of animation quality is astounding. Character designs are confident, the sci-fi aesthetic is cool, and did you notice that every student in the first episode had their own distinct design? Fantastic detail.
Old 2020-07-05, 08:36   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
...and did you notice that every student in the first episode had their own distinct design? Fantastic detail.
Yeah, I did. It's one of the things that impressed me.

Whoever Bandai ordered to make this, it's like they want to fuse YGO & Persona. Not a bad combination if I say so myself.
Old 2020-07-05, 10:44   Link #4
Frontier

I love how it's a series about a card game but the card game has only really been relevant in, like, three or four episodes (not counting the episode where they explain the background with the witch) .

But mostly it's been about showing off the Codemen and building up the lore, and on that front I think it's done a good job of making them all pretty interesting and compelling from their personalities, vibrant character designs, and the all-star voice cast .

I would totally watch a spinoff that's just Charlotte solving crimes. I hope Medilla gets her own episode .
Old 2020-07-05, 12:51   Link #5
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

For those who are wondering: Kadono, the Boogiepop's author is writing for this anime.
shmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-05, 23:39   Link #6
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
For those who are wondering: Kadono, the Boogiepop's author is writing for this anime.
Oh, that's nice. Is Kadono writing every single episode?
Old 2020-07-06, 01:41   Link #7
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Kadono is in charge of the world design and the general plot.
Individual episodes is written by Fudeyasu Kazuyuki.
Old 2020-07-07, 00:44   Link #8
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I hope Medilla gets her own episode .
Fun-fact: when I tried the game and answered questions that will lead me to my most fitting Codeman-partner, I got myself Medilla with 90+% sync .

That kinda surprised me since I'm not much of a gambler myself. It kinda makes me wonder if I'm a good partner for high risk-taker ladies .
Old 2020-07-07, 09:56   Link #9
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Fun-fact: when I tried the game and answered questions that will lead me to my most fitting Codeman-partner, I got myself Medilla with 90+% sync .

That kinda surprised me since I'm not much of a gambler myself. It kinda makes me wonder if I'm a good partner for high risk-taker ladies .
Not the worst thing in the world...especially if they look like Medilla .
Old 2020-07-07, 11:39   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
Not the worst thing in the world...especially if they look like Medilla .
Been playing with her for three days now and, yeah, she's the "Ara...Ara..."-type. Some of her dialogues are a bit suggestive .

There's an option to dress her in a bikini but I say "F*** that". I prefer her base showgirl getup
Old 2020-07-31, 15:14   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

New episode:
YouTube

Oh, the plot thickens!
Nice to meet you, Yorusuke.
Old 2020-07-31, 23:08   Link #12
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
New episode:
YouTube

Oh, the plot thickens!
Nice to meet you, Yorusuke.
It was interesting seeing a little more focus put on the sentience of the Codemen and debating how "alive" they are given they look human but are supposedly all robots. So they can pass the turing test and appear basically human but are still three laws compliant. I guess all these focus episodes haven shown off more or less how the characters abide by/transcend their own programming .

I wonder if that mention of the Zenon World Tournament is foreshadowing the plot coming back to Sota and Eilietta ?

So...Yorusuke re-awakened Alice, and she possessed him? Or re-programmed him with a soul loyal to her and willing to carry out her plans in the physical world? He seemed reborn and mentioned a soul, so I wonder if somehow she gave him true life .
Old 2020-08-02, 02:00   Link #13
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

I am wondering, does the organization knew what they are doing?
Or are they just believe they know what they are doing when they actually not?