AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-07-24, 12:32   Link #41
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
I've only read The Fellowship of the Ring, but I remember listening to an audio adaption of The Hobbit, it was very good, each character had unique voices and there were sound effects. Looking forward to the movie.
You may be the only person I know who stopped after "Fellowship"!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 13:57   Link #42
Kirarakim

I was already pretty excited about The Hobbit since I love Tolkien and I thought the movie adaptions if LOTR were great. Not as good as the books but still excellent films

But now with the casting of Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage & Benedict Cumberbatch I am even more thrilled about the Hobbit films.
Old 2011-07-25, 02:42   Link #43
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Totally looking forward to this, I loved the books and loved the movies. Can't wait till it comes out.
Old 2011-07-25, 11:36   Link #44
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

It looks like he is putting as much TLC as he did to the LotR movies. This will definitely be one to watch.
Old 2011-07-25, 12:44   Link #45
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Tolkien wrote the Hobbit intending it initially as a children's story (remember the onomatopoeia in it?) and but couldn't avoid dumping a lot of stuff in it as background along with some fairly adult complexity towards the end.

When my sons were young, I tried reading the Hobbit to them but it was a failure each time we tried.

Oddly they were entranced by LOTR and I ended up reading the entire thing aloud to them (twice, once for each son and often the older one would wander by and sit during bedtime story for #2 son).

Yes, I fully understand that, which is why I said the PJ LOTR is as good as it gets even with the quirks. I'll undoubtedly see the Hobbit -- its just more of a quirky book to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The Silmarillion was written intentionally to read like a "bible" or sage of mythologies -- it never really was meant as more than background reference to document the mythos the people of LOTR grew up with.
Chronologically Tolkien began creating things in a grand overarching "universe" which is reflected in the Silmarillion FIRST.

Later on he would develop individual parts of the world/ages on and off. The whole "realm" was his ... err ... passion/obsession/hobby/creative outlet.

The Hobbit was indeed a story to be read to his children, who had been hearing bits and pieces of papa's stories now and again, and it was the first printed book. However, a lot of other material had already been developed in different stages and different ... err ... "episodes" (for lack of a better word).

The trilogy (technically 6 books - each book is a compilation of two "books") was much more reflective of the "serious" quality of his writing - as in the silmarillion, and the endless notes and revisions he had (posthumously published in the "lost tales" volumes and other books by his son Christopher ... and still being published iirc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You may be the only person I know who stopped after "Fellowship"!
Well, believe it or not I have known a handful of folks who loved the Hobbit and could not stand anything else Tolkien wrote. Go figure?

BTW ... I am a HUGE Tolkien fan! (Or was that obvious?)
Old 2011-07-25, 14:27   Link #46
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Memories from the Lord of the Rings films come back. And the heacy interest in all the novels that followed it. I sense it will happen again.

Though I'm fairly sure these two films, while they will follow the book, will not be childrens book level films. Not if they continue using the style they had in the previus three films.

But I love that the films will flow together because it is made by the same people with the possible returning cast being the same (elves and wizards mostly...but also Gollum). Also we will get to see stuff that was only talked about in the novel...the stuff Gandalf was doing in the south for much of it.

I also remember that in one of the commentaries from the other films, that Peter Jackson has specifically saved the Bag End set, partly because it was a nice piece and partly in case he every got around to making the Hobbit...which, now, he is.

And don't tell me you wouldn't want to live in a home like Bag End. A place like that seems alomst tailor made for hot places like Arizona. Only the doors would need to be changed for safety reasons.
Old 2011-07-25, 21:15   Link #47
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Tens of millions of readers have fantasized about living in Bag End. That put a lot of pressure on PJ, but he did a helluva job.

I think PJ will strike a middle ground with these two films. The Hobbit by necessity is going to have a lighter tone than the LotR films, but I suspect he'll make is slightly grittier than the book was, for the most part.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-27, 15:07   Link #48
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

In light of people complaining about the movie adaptation (Not me, I am personally psyched to go see it),

including returning characters such as Legolas and Saruman,

I just hope Saruman's appearance is something like this:

Keeping the humor up!
Old 2011-07-27, 15:10   Link #49
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I saw that over in the Laugh a Day thread. Still funny.
Old 2011-07-27, 15:24   Link #50
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Did not expect THAT!

Excellent.
Old 2011-07-27, 17:50   Link #51
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

500 million into the two films (part 1 & part 2) is a lot considering that the trilogy is just over half of that.I hope peter jackson makes it good and gets really in depth with bilbo's adventure, Also Dragonnnnn :P
Old 2011-11-04, 19:20   Link #52
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Update: 3D Hobbit

http://movies.msn.com/paralleluniver...story/feature/

And a more direct way there....

(Peter Jackson's video blog #4)

It actually sounds like they know what they are doing. Meaning we might get a 3D film that works like it was just filmed naturally. Depending on location shooting I suppose.
Old 2011-11-04, 20:08   Link #53
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Always will be leery of 3D movies. If they can get it right, great but I won't be holding my breath. Still it does look cool.
Old 2011-11-04, 21:13   Link #54
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Be fun if you can turn it off...since you will have to for regular TV screens once the DVDs and BD come out in 2013 and or whenever the second half of the movie comes out.
Old 2011-11-04, 23:11   Link #55
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
In light of people complaining about the movie adaptation (Not me, I am personally psyched to go see it),

including returning characters such as Legolas and Saruman,

I just hope Saruman's appearance is something like this:

Keeping the humor up!
Funny. What's the song Saruman was singing?
Old 2011-11-04, 23:42   Link #56
Xagzan

^ The trolololo song (not its actual name but well there you are )

Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-20, 22:24   Link #57
Xagzan

Double posting but WHO CARES IT'S BEAUTIFUL T_T

Old 2011-12-20, 22:32   Link #58
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Whoa ... absolutely .... beautiful. Especially liked the dwarven singing....

So next December eh?
Old 2011-12-20, 22:33   Link #59
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I am pleased.

What I wonder...is where will they break the film into two...and what will they add to the second film.

I'm not seeing a dragon until the second film at this rate.
Old 2011-12-20, 22:40   Link #60
Xagzan

Is there any concrete information about the material the second film will cover? Anything at all? At first I heard it was going to be background events that didn't explicitly occur in The Hobbit novel so much as in supplementary materials, but who knows if that had any truth.

Tags
movie