Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-25, 19:16   Link #1
Shuran

Looking for looking for animes/mangas with *intelligent* characters

hi people,
Like the threadtitle state I am looking for animnes or mangas with *intelligent* characters or those with charisma:
Those i already know are death note, code geass, maybe spiral
mangas from fukumoto noboyuki (akagi, kaijii, zero...), liar game, one outs oder auch 20th century boys, monster ,Lost+Brain,Gamble Fish

I am grateful for any recommendation Thx a lot in advance!
Old 2010-02-25, 21:08   Link #2
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Azumanga Daioh - Chiyo is a complete genius at the age of 12 and very modest about it. Sakaki is also quite intelligent and atheltic.

Hanamaru Kindergarten - Hiiragi is 'the genius' at 6. There is nothing she doesn't know but she is polite to anyone. She also has a habit of dressing up in cute animal costumes.

Kurenai - Murasaki isn't a genius in the strictest sense of the word, but her maturity and awareness, well above the norm for a 7-year old, allows her to understand things people her age wouldn't.

Serial Experiments Lain - Lain isn't a genius at the start but she quickly grows into a computing mastermind that gradually becomes the #1 power on the Internet.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Yuki Nagato. There isn't anything she can't do. Seriously.

Hope that helps.
Old 2010-02-25, 21:33   Link #3
GreatTeacherKen

The majority of the characters (especially the protagonists) in the action series Jojo's Bizarre Adventure are very intelligent. In fact, a lot of the fights are won by characters exploiting their powers and the environment to their advantage instead of just brute strength.
Old 2010-02-25, 21:36   Link #4
Jze0
Hmmm...

My suggestions

Mx0 - Main character has to thinks on his feet in alot of magic battles even though he has no magic himself. Some of his moves are quite clever and well thought out.
The World God only Knows - If there was a lady chasing version of Lelouch, Keima would be it. He uses his vast knowledge of dating sims experience to capture young ladies' hearts.

Thats all I can think of for now...

Edit: Almost forgot, I highly recommend Onani Master Kurosawa. Kurosawa is offend compared to Light and Lelouch.
Old 2010-02-25, 22:13   Link #5
Full Metal Coast
-Gantzer-

Location: Perth, Western Australia - Down Where The City Meets The Sea
yeah ill second Onani Master Kurosawa and also add
Unbalance x unbalance
mirai nikki
Black Lagoon
Old 2010-02-26, 03:20   Link #6
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Ryoko's Case Files. Most of the cast members are intelligent, and the title character is also very charismatic.
Old 2010-02-26, 04:18   Link #7
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

The World God Only Knows manga involves a charismatic, highly intelligent protagonist who looks at times awfully like Lelouch. He's constantly referred to as the Capturing God for his "special talent."

It also repeatedly surpasses my expectation in its level of awesomeness, and it's recently been getting even better.
Old 2010-02-26, 04:57   Link #8
Shuran

thx for the recommendations so far, i would have liked if the role of the *genius* plays are relevant factor in the anime/manga, not a minor role:

Azumanga Daioh - i woud prefer psychological, mytery, seinen , thriller like the ones i alrdy know than comedy

Hanamaru Kindergarten - i know its good, but not rly keen on watching an anime about kindergarden kids

Kurenai - dont think maturity is equal to genius

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: dont think yukis role as a genius is the central theme.

Serial Experiments Lain : IŽll watch it!

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure : ill read it!

Unbalance x unbalance : read it before, but dont think i encounter a genius figure?

Onani Master Kurosawa : the same

Mx0: as u mentioned, some of the moves, but the protagonist doesnt seem to be an intelligent progidy or genius all the time

The World God only Knows: have to read it more to have a better impression on this, but i would say its more comedy based

mirai nikki: i ll read it!!

Ryoko's Case Files : ill take a look.

To respond to your effort, ill try to give my comments to every anime/manga serie u suggest. Think that the least what i can do. And i am looking forward to more recommendations, u are the best
Old 2010-02-26, 05:10   Link #9
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well if you like it being coupled with mystery, the classic case would be Detective Conan. For a newer one in the genre, try maybe Detective School Q.
Old 2010-02-26, 11:44   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I have to throw in my standby Seirei no Moribito. The whole anime is focused on smart people dealing with difficult situations in intelligent ways - in fact, there are no dummies among any of the major characters and even some of the supporting ones get the chance to show their wits under duress. TBH it's a lot slower-paced that the animes you list in the OP, and a very different style - but if you're open to that it's an incredible series.
Old 2010-02-26, 20:47   Link #11
Scorch

I'm surprised nobody has brought up Ghost in the Shell yet. Several of the characters in it are incredibly intelligent. There's a lot of inter-agency political chess playing going on. GiTS:Stand Alone Complex is a good starting point.

Lain is one of my favorite series. Good to hear you're planning on watching it. It will mess with your mind once reality starts getting deconstructed.

You might like the MPD Psycho manga if you don't mind gore. The main character is a brilliant detective with multiple personalities. One is a complete psychopath, and most of the crimes he deals with are really gruesome. It gets weirder when you add in conspiracies and things that the serial killers have in common.
Old 2010-02-27, 04:19   Link #12
Pooba

Look into Moyashimon. I think it would fit your criteria well.
Oh and Ghost in the Shell is a great show. It can be dialogue heavy but honestly I almost always found it interesting so the pacing wasn't a problem for me.
Closed Thread