AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise > Total Eclipse

Notices

Old 2012-07-03, 07:15   Link #421
grevierr
The Lovable SuBiTA

Just wanted to point out this little known series, on how to make an end of the world plot without all the grim dark

Stellvia of the Universe
grevierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 07:33   Link #422
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3
I think that is EXACTLY the point they're trying to convey. And I love it, considering we haven't had a mecha anime this desperate in the very first episode for a VERY long time.
I think Symphogear is that close to being "desperate in the very first episode".
Regardless, I don't know what makes "humanity fighting against extinction" as a plot so exciting to some. Especially when you entitled to watch people die before your very eyes.

It's like watching a hanging at the town square during the Middle Ages in a sense.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 07:50   Link #423
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I think Symphogear is that close to being "desperate in the very first episode".
Regardless, I don't know what makes "humanity fighting against extinction" as a plot so exciting to some. Especially when you entitled to watch people die before your very eyes.

It's like watching a hanging at the town square during the Middle Ages in a sense.
Well, the despair is a major factor, but another thing is the burning spirit of the characters to keep themselves and their comrades alive, no matter how stacked the odds are against them. Maybe it appeals to my primal survival instinct, or maybe I just want to see the characters persist as well as they can before succumbing to despair.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 08:04   Link #424
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

There's difference between "struggle for survival and for the sakes of self and others" and "sadistic lynching of a helpless individual by a mob."
Old 2012-07-03, 08:07   Link #425
liemtodaisu

I like heroic stories, sacrifice makes it more dramatic.
liemtodaisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 08:25   Link #426
tsunade666

I just watch the first episode and I'm kinda disappointed in the animation. The background is good but the movements of the characters are a bit stiff for me. It feels like I'm still playing a vn game. The mecha looks cool but the movement of it is also stiff. It only look good at the near end and even they didn't show the beta attacking. Just fire of missile here and their and massive display of fire power that has been easily defeated.

It looks good. I'm still watching but the animation is disappointing me for the time being.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 08:41   Link #427
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
There's difference between "struggle for survival and for the sakes of self and others" and "sadistic lynching of a helpless individual by a mob."
Well, that's what happened somewhere in Another — the infamous "elevator pie scene", that is.
In one side we see a hapless victim of certain circumstances, while in the other side we see people laughing at the sheer absurdity of the scene. But that already involves the fourth wall, so it's not really important. But it can happen.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 09:27   Link #428
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'm still busy watching the other passed animes so I just scan throughout the entire episode and I had these things in mind..

Spoiler for Questions:

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-07-03 at 09:55.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 09:34   Link #429
Candyshark

So basicly humanity counting days till last man standing or they still have a fighting chance?
cue lowest EMS destroy ending.
Candyshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 09:36   Link #430
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Well, that's what happened somewhere in Another — the infamous "elevator pie scene", that is.
In one side we see a hapless victim of certain circumstances, while in the other side we see people laughing at the sheer absurdity of the scene. But that already involves the fourth wall, so it's not really important. But it can happen.
To be fair, Another's death scenes slowly cranked up the narm, and exploded into comedy territory in the 11th episode.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:36   Link #431
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I'm still busy watching the other passed animes so I just scan throughout the entire episode and I had these things in mind..

Spoiler for Questions:
It has already being pointed out that male soldiers are already on the frontlines (albeit by the grim situation it seems to me most of them are already dead, that is the only reason to draft young girls into the army, which is what these mechas really are, they are subpar equipment to deal with the alien menace, kinda like the first iraq war, where the fight was ones sided)
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 09:38   Link #432
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
It has already being pointed out that male soldiers are already on the frontlines (albeit by the grim situation it seems to me most of them are already dead, that is the only reason to draft young girls into the army, which is what these mechas really are, they are subpar equipment to deal with the alien menace, kinda like the first iraq war, where the fight was ones sided)

Hmmm... so we may not expect a young male supporting cast?

God, even just one plus the suits its heaven!!!!!!

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2012-07-03 at 09:53.
Old 2012-07-03, 09:40   Link #433
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
There IS males, just read the early pages. Just don't get too attached to the characters, otherwise every sociopaths or potential sociopaths of Animesuki, who loves this kind of story, will feast on your tears like bees on honey.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 09:50   Link #434
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Mmmm... Them delicious girls in skin-tight suits all wrapped up and lightly bronzed.

BETA burgers, perfectly done.
Old 2012-07-03, 10:04   Link #435
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevierr View Post
Just wanted to point out this little known series, on how to make an end of the world plot without all the grim dark

Stellvia of the Universe
While it's not remembered too much these days, Stellvia was actually a very popular series in its time.

Stellvia handled the "end of the world" and "children save us" in both a logical manner & made it really work well. It's a great series and if you haven't seen it, should get a copy. Also has a supremely good OST.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 10:05   Link #436
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:

At this point I would bet any "young male supporting cast" would look like this
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 10:08   Link #437
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Seriously? I thought she's a girl...!!!

Never mind... because of the suit... I'll put this in my list..
Old 2012-07-03, 10:33   Link #438
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyshark View Post
So basicly humanity counting days till last man standing or they still have a fighting chance?
cue lowest EMS destroy ending.
It's been happening for decades. Humanity is always falling back. To the point of video games are alien to them.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 11:27   Link #439
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Quote:

No. There are males. They also wear the eishi reinforced suit just like the female Eishi. Another benefit of getting used to it during their time as a cadet is that they're used to such sight, and they're less likely to have a reaction. It also applied to us novel readers though I can't speak for some. You just stop thinking about it and become less conscious about the girls' assets overtime. Of course, we had the same reaction as many of you newcomers here when we first saw those suits. Ah, I wish I can live that experience again. haha.

Quote:
Hmmm... Not macho enough so no. :P
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 11:30   Link #440
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
There IS males, just read the early pages. Just don't get too attached to the characters, otherwise every sociopaths or potential sociopaths of Animesuki, who loves this kind of story, will feast on your tears like bees on honey.
I won't do that I promise.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, aliens, mecha, romance, science fiction, seinen