AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-19, 04:14   Link #1701
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've never seen those first run from 2006 episodes as padding. Mainly because I liked some of them more than the main plot.
Old 2012-03-24, 01:57   Link #1702
brocko

^ It's padding. But just because it's padding doesn't necessarily make it a bad thing. Some of the episodes actually do go out of their way in adding to the main 6 Melancholy episodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
It's worth noting that they're not just doing it to be wacky. The Haruhi series simply doesn't transfer well to an anime format, and they had to do the best they could. After all, if you air the original story consecutively, what the heck is your climax going to be? The arc would be done after 6 episodes!

So in both cases, the "unorthodox and outlandish tradition" is simply the necessary consequence of filling out complete seasons. Just like the 2009 season had to be padded to 28 episodes, the 2006 season had to be padded to fourteen. You wouldn't have had much more than an OVA otherwise.
The wackiness is more of a side-effect and rather fittingly so given Haruhi's absurd nature, but you are right that there are underlying reasons behind it all that often go unnoticed, along with getting a proper climax and properly placing it of course lol.

In the case of the first season, Tanigawa specifically requested that the series be jumbled up. And it wasn't a complete random jumbling of episodes either. If you look at it in the grand scope of things it becomes pretty apparent that a lot effort, thought and planning went into structuring the jumble in a way so that the episodes would be able to work together under such conditions.

EG:
- Beginning the series with the Adventures of Mikuru which sneakily introduces everyone.

- Keeping the core 6 Melancholy episodes still in chronological order only just spaced and paced out with the other side stories.

- Clever use of side stories to help further develop and emphasis certain plot points without spoiling the main Melancholy plot points too much. In the case of Boredom (baseball eps), they used it to provide a bit more weight to Yuki's supernatural reveal at the end of the previous broadcasted episode, Melancholy II, whilst foreshadowing the upcoming Shinjin events which occur in Melancholy VI. Inserting Boredom here also keeps Itsuki in the audiences mind as well since he won't show up again till Melancholy III and even then it's a rather limited role.

I think it's also interesting that when Taniguchi was writing the series, he didn't necessarily do it in chronological order either

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2012-04-01, 15:25   Link #1703
lml99

This is a bit of a shallow question, but I've been wondering, do you get to hear "God Knows" in the 2009 anime? That's pretty much the reason I got into the series. I accidentally found the subs for the '09 series rather than the '03 series before I got a bit more informed.
Old 2012-04-01, 15:57   Link #1704
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by lml99 View Post
This is a bit of a shallow question, but I've been wondering, do you get to hear "God Knows" in the 2009 anime? That's pretty much the reason I got into the series. I accidentally found the subs for the '09 series rather than the '03 series before I got a bit more informed.
Yes. Instead of separating the show into two seasons, the producers of the anime re-aired the episodes from 2006 with 14 new episodes that filled in the gaps chronologically. Previously, there was a debate over how to watch the show, but now that it's been "re-aired" to climax with the movie, you should watch the 28 episode (2009) order and end with the movie.

TL;DR…
additional information
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-04-09, 16:55   Link #1705
lml99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Yes. Instead of separating the show into two seasons, the producers of the anime re-aired the episodes from 2006 with 14 new episodes that filled in the gaps chronologically. Previously, there was a debate over how to watch the show, but now that it's been "re-aired" to climax with the movie, you should watch the 28 episode (2009) order and end with the movie.

TL;DR…
additional information
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Thanks. The way the series was set up was pretty confusing at first, and I couldn't really figure it out at first.
Old 2012-05-16, 13:00   Link #1706
ijuinkun

A lot of fans have been wondering just why Kyon chose the alias "John Smith" to tell to Haruhi on Tanabata. One possibility that we may have overlooked is that this name is a reference to Doctor Who, as The Doctor has used "John Smith" as an alias numerous times ever since the First Doctor era. It would definitely fit in as an oblique reference to Kyon as a time traveler, and would seem like the kind of snarky, slightly sci-fi geeky, sort of thing that Kyon would do.
Old 2012-05-16, 14:47   Link #1707
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
A lot of fans have been wondering just why Kyon chose the alias "John Smith" to tell to Haruhi on Tanabata. One possibility that we may have overlooked is that this name is a reference to Doctor Who, as The Doctor has used "John Smith" as an alias numerous times ever since the First Doctor era. It would definitely fit in as an oblique reference to Kyon as a time traveler, and would seem like the kind of snarky, slightly sci-fi geeky, sort of thing that Kyon would do.
According to the novel fanbook, John Smith was likely chosen due to it being common in the Western world. Here's the quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanbook
The most important word for Kyon: John Smith
When Mikuru guided him to three years ago Kyon gave his name as "John Smith" to the hyperactive middle schooler version of Haruhi. The first time they met, they drew on the school grounds together. The second time Kyon called out to her saying "Cheers to saving the world by overloading it with fun with John Smith!" This "John Smith" was the turning point for Haruhi. Thus Kyon hasn't revealed his identity to Haruhi. It's his one trump card. "John Smith" is an incredibly common foreign name like Tarou Yamahei in Japan. The protagonist in Jean Webster's "Daddy Long-Legs" also had a mysterious "John Smith."

Old 2012-07-23, 12:17   Link #1708
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
So I was thinking of getting back to this series sometime in the future. How would you recommend I do so? Is the 2009 version the same as the 2006 version content-wise, just in chronological order?
Old 2012-07-23, 12:39   Link #1709
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Boy View Post
So I was thinking of getting back to this series sometime in the future. How would you recommend I do so? Is the 2009 version the same as the 2006 version content-wise, just in chronological order?
The 2009 order is the 2006 episodes in chronological order with additional episodes filling in the gaps that the 2006 episodes didn't animate prior to Disappearance. It's highly probable that this "re-airing" order is designed to end with the movie as the climax of the "tale" similar to how the jumbled broadcast order ended with Melancholy VI. I would recommend watching the 2009 order and then finishing with the movie. This allows you to see everything prior to December 24th in the Haruhi series.

I would also recommend watching as many of the Endless Eight episodes that you can take and then skipping to the 8th episode of that arc (19th episode in 2009 order). This allows you to experience what the creators were intending without allowing yourself to become bored with that story.

Old 2012-07-23, 21:38   Link #1710
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The 2009 order is the 2006 episodes in chronological order with additional episodes filling in the gaps that the 2006 episodes didn't animate prior to Disappearance. It's highly probable that this "re-airing" order is designed to end with the movie as the climax of the "tale" similar to how the jumbled broadcast order ended with Melancholy VI. I would recommend watching the 2009 order and then finishing with the movie. This allows you to see everything prior to December 24th in the Haruhi series.

I would also recommend watching as many of the Endless Eight episodes that you can take and then skipping to the 8th episode of that arc (19th episode in 2009 order). This allows you to experience what the creators were intending without allowing yourself to become bored with that story.
Thanks. So basically I just gotta watch the 2006 in chronological order, then I can just follow the 2009 without a sweat? And 19th episode? You mean as in the 19th episode I watch as I follow both seasons right?
Old 2012-07-23, 21:49   Link #1711
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Boy View Post
Thanks. So basically I just gotta watch the 2006 in chronological order, then I can just follow the 2009 without a sweat? And 19th episode? You mean as in the 19th episode I watch as I follow both seasons right?
Nah, just watch 2009. It has all the 2006 episodes plus new ones. If you watch 2006 first, you'd be repeating 14 episodes. Here's a list of the episodes in 2009 order. The ones with a (*) are "new episodes" that were added in 2009.

01 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I
02 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II
03 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya III
04 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya IV
05 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya V
06 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI
07 - The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya
08 - Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (*)
09 - Mysterique Sign
10 - Lone Island Syndrome (First Part)
11 - Lone Island Syndrome (Final Part)
12 - Endless Eight (*)
13 - Endless Eight (*)
14 - Endless Eight (*)
15 - Endless Eight (*)
16 - Endless Eight (*)
17 - Endless Eight (*)
18 - Endless Eight (*)
19 - Endless Eight (*)
20 - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya I (*)
21 - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya II (*)
22 - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya III (*)
23 - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya IV (*)
24 - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya V (*)
25 - The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00
26 - Live a Live
27 - The Day of Sagittarius
28 - Someday in the Rain
Movie - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

I figured that since you had said you were "coming back", re-watching episodes in this order with the new ones would be best. The Endless Eight episodes are notorious due to how they were broadcast, but they're not as bad as people say. Just skip to episode 19 (the last one) when you're prepared to move on.

Old 2012-08-31, 22:50   Link #1712
Pinwheel10
WHOOSH!

There is this one thing that I don't understand in the "Surprise" arc, even after rereading the trilogy. Why was there a need to

Spoiler for Dissociation:
Old 2012-09-01, 07:24   Link #1713
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinwheel10 View Post
There is this one thing that I don't understand in the "Surprise" arc, even after rereading the trilogy. Why was there a need to

Spoiler for Dissociation:
Basically,
Spoiler for answer:

I hope that made sense. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Old 2012-09-01, 21:24   Link #1714
Pinwheel10
WHOOSH!

Mmm, that made perfect sense. As expected from you, megax
Old 2012-10-03, 01:34   Link #1715
EXbob

I have quite a few questions, most of them relating to the Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya. Heads up, I have only seen the anime, I have never read the manga.
My main question is what's up with Tsuruya eavesdropping on Kyon and Mikuru in Part 5?

It is the moment where Mikuru is telling Kyon about her perspective on what Haruhi is and how it clashes with Koizumi's perspective. This just baffled me. Is this ever explained in the mangas?

My second question is was Koizumi joking when he was talking about Mikuru being there to win Kyon over to their side? When Kyon called his bluff, Koizumi looked annoyed and then finally went back to his usual self and said he was joking. The more I go into his character the more he seems like his whole personality is an act. He really confuses me. Is this explained in the manga?

Thirdly, who added the special effects into the movie the day before the festival? Did it have anything to do with those guys who wore armor and were running through the corridor? On that note, who were they? No one seemed to know who they were.

Fourthly, is Mikuru's perspective on Haruhi not proven wrong at the end of the Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya? Only once Haruhi was convinced into saying everything was fake did everything go back to normal. The most obvious one being the fact that the cat could no longer speak. If Haruhi could only find abnormalities in the world then how would her perspective determine how the world worked? Koizumi's perspective still makes more sense to me even though it is completely nuts.

Fifthly, in the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumia, who was the chick who apparently pushed Kyon down the stairs? Is this ever explained in the mangas?

Lastly, what were the files Yuki was hiding when Kyon asked if he could use the computer in the literature club? As far as I know, this is never explained.

On a side note, what happened to the animation? Why does everything look cheaper and different from Season One? Haruhi really doesn't look right a lot of the time and it's really off putting. I have to say though, it does improve after Endless Eight. Near the end of Sigh it started looking like the original again and then once Disappearance came along everything looked top notch again which was awesome.

Last point I want to make is one which I'm sure you;re all sick of hearing by now. Why no Season 3? Season 2 left the story in a place where it really requires more after it. For those who have not read the mangas, it feels very out of place and while I loved Sigh, it threw out a lot at the viewer and didn't explain much. Now, I'm not sure what ends up happening with the mangas, (I will have to get them at some point but I find mangas really hard to get into,) but I would love to see a return to form for a Season 3. I understand that Season 2 was a bit of a flop, mainly due to Endless Eight, (which I think has it's purpose and wasn't as atrocious as people made it out to be,) after the Disappearance came out, as far as I can tell everyone loved it. It was received extremely well by all and it seemed like the perfect kick start into Season 3 but it just never happened. I personally would love for a Season 3 to come around eventually (as do we all).

That's enough rambling from me for now, thanks in advance!

Last edited by EXbob; 2012-10-03 at 04:52.
Old 2012-10-03, 05:27   Link #1716
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXbob View Post
I have quite a few questions, most of them relating to the Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya. Heads up, I have only seen the anime, I have never read the manga.

My main question is what's up with Tsuruya eavesdropping on Kyon and Mikuru in Part 5?
A note: Light novels rather than manga.

She is probably waiting for Mikuru to be done as they are in the same class and friends. They tend to hang out together when Mikuru isn't with Haruhi's group.

Quote:
My second question is was Koizumi joking when he was talking about Mikuru being there to win Kyon over to their side? When Kyon called his bluff, Koizumi looked annoyed and then finally went back to his usual self and said he was joking. The more I go into his character the more he seems like his whole personality is an act. He really confuses me. Is this explained in the manga?
Who can tell with Isuki? Since the story is almost always from Kyon's point of view, we may never know.

Quote:
Thirdly, who added the special effects into the movie the day before the festival? Did it have anything to do with those guys who wore armor and were running through the corridor? On that note, who were they? No one seemed to know who they were.
Unknown. (unless it was from one of the computer games that answer that one). As far as the novels go, that one is still a mystery.

Quote:
Fourthly, is Mikuru's perspective on Haruhi not proven wrong at the end of the Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya? Only once Haruhi was convinced into saying everything was fake did everything go back to normal. The most obvious one being the fact that the cat could no longer speak. If Haruhi could only find abnormalities in the world then how would her perspective determine how the world worked? Koizumi's perspective still makes more sense to me even though it is completely nuts.
Haruhi is still up for interpritation. We have long threads about theories and counter theories about what Haruhi is or is not.

Quote:
Fifthly, in the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumia, who was the chick who apparently pushed Kyon down the stairs? Is this ever explained in the mangas?
Answered in a future story.
Spoiler for Light Novel 7:

Quote:
Lastly, what were the files Yuki was hiding when Kyon asked if he could use the computer in the literature club? As far as I know, this is never explained.
I don't recall. Probably her own written stories or fan fiction.

Quote:
On a side note, what happened to the animation? Why does everything look cheaper and different from Season One? Haruhi really doesn't look right a lot of the time and it's really off putting. I have to say though, it does improve after Endless Eight. Near the end of Sigh it started looking like the original again and then once Disappearance came along everything looked top notch again which was awesome.
Present theory is that during Endless Eight they let the other animation directors have at it and do the show in slightly altered styles so they wouldn't be bored. It also might have been to give various units experiance for later shows. (another theory is that this was a finals project for KyoAni's animation school, the best would not only graduate, by got put in Haruhi. It would explain the wide differences in styles and save them some funds.)
Old 2012-10-03, 06:55   Link #1717
EXbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post

She is probably waiting for Mikuru to be done as they are in the same class and friends. They tend to hang out together when Mikuru isn't with Haruhi's group.
I get that may be why She's there but what she's hearing is some pretty interesting stuff. Is this every mentioned again? Does she question them later down the line or is it just ignored?
Old 2012-10-03, 11:42   Link #1718
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Not sure if that stuff exactly, but Tsuruya is more clever than she seems.

Old 2012-10-03, 14:37   Link #1719
EXbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Not sure if that stuff exactly, but Tsuruya is more clever than she seems.

So, she's just along for the ride and doesn't care what they are?
Old 2012-10-03, 14:52   Link #1720
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Pretty much. She thinks they are fun. Doesn't care to know too much, but knows more than she lets on. She likes hanging around Haruhi because its fun. She was already friends with Mikuru and she likes Kyon (not a surprise). She's curious about Yuki and Itsuki has a deals with her to use places to keep Haruhi entertained (the island mansion could possibly have belonged to her family).