AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-14, 01:05   Link #41
PonSquared
A Very Senior Member

The change in the ending theme for this episode stopped me cold. It left me in dread of that is to come next...

A nice touch, indeed.
PonSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 02:13   Link #42
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

This episode summed up for me, 2011 stomped 1999 version in all places and category. The only thing that I dislike was Kuroro VA, it just doesn't sound right, compared to the original VA for 1999, but heck the animation and placement of events were too good (love the pen in the skull, gruesome).
Old 2012-10-14, 02:17   Link #43
leokiko

I could nitpick on how they wasted a few minutes on Neon escaping but not on how Chrollo met her, but that's nothing when you watch the requiem.

ALSO CENSORING FUCKING WHERE
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 02:28   Link #44
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
I could nitpick on how they wasted a few minutes on Neon escaping but not on how Chrollo met her, but that's nothing when you watch the requiem.

ALSO CENSORING FUCKING WHERE
Did it really turn you off by the black/red scene when the heads were flying? Because I got the point behind them and if you recall the scene where Chrollo pull out that pen from the tie-up guy skull. Now that's now gruesome than decapacitation.
Old 2012-10-14, 02:35   Link #45
leokiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
Did it really turn you off by the black/red scene when the heads were flying? Because I got the point behind them and if you recall the scene where Chrollo pull out that pen from the tie-up guy skull. Now that's now gruesome than decapacitation.
I was actually just joking because there was barely any censorship on this epi. Those heads...
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 04:04   Link #46
butahill
Inactive Member

Looking forward to Shinobi-03's comparisons!
butahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 11:37   Link #47
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 51-

Spoiler for Part 1:

--

Spoiler for Part 2:
SHINOBI-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-14, 14:22   Link #48
Gooral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03
Zenji's punch was also omitted. Nippon's adaptation didn't show us the first punch good.
Yeah but that didn't make the scene any less clear in Nippon's version. I found it disappointing (for the lack of better word since I'm not expecting much of MH adaptation) that they've omitted that interesting scene which could be interpreted in various ways (personally I think that Kurapica let Zenji beat Nostrade up because he wanted him to suffer but a while later he regained his composure and put his mask back on).

Also, the scene where PT's car was blown made more sense in Nippon animation. In MH one it exploded after a series from small machine guns (another proof that MH is treating its viewers as idiots), in Nippon animation they've used a bazooka.

I didn't like the music placement during initial assault either, later (when Chrollo was shown) it fitted better but I still preferred the way Nippon did it. But for some reason people tend to get excited whenever anime uses classical music (shitty Elfen Lied is a perfect example of this). But that's a matter of taste so I'll leave it at that.

I have to agree with Cinnabar though that for once narrator's words weren't annoying but overall he's an awful addition (and he's never around when needed, e.g. when he could have explained En so that the scene wouldn't look as artificial as in the manga or Nippon version).

Overall OK episode but with too many omitted scenes (that's your "more faithful adaptation" for you, lol) + too much focus on Neon's shopping. And the same thing happened in the previous episode. It's also interesting that Nippon version managed to show more manga content even with all the fillers and less than 10 episodes of "advantage".
Gooral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 03:43   Link #49
F21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
(personally I think that Kurapica let Zenji beat Nostrade up because he wanted him to suffer but a while later he regained his composure and put his mask back on)
That's a very interesting interpretation and one that's actually got me thinking. Though what would Kurapika have against Nostrade to warrant such a reaction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
Also, the scene where PT's car was blown made more sense in Nippon animation. In MH one it exploded after a series from small machine guns (another proof that MH is treating its viewers as idiots), in Nippon animation they've used a bazooka.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVWAjaRdaCM

Also of mention is that the car explodes off screen. Perhaps it hit a wall or something? It was never really clear how it exploded in the manga anyway, and when the mafia go to inspect the ruins all of them are holding machine guns. I don't think it's too far a stretch to say the car was destroyed by machine gun fire, considering it is entirely possible.

Last edited by F21; 2012-10-15 at 04:13.
F21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-15, 04:16   Link #50
SHINOBI-03

Quote:
Originally Posted by F21 View Post
That's a very interesting interpretation and one that's actually got me thinking. Though what would Kurapika have against Nostrade to warrant such a reaction?
Flesh collecting? Although we see his daughter is the one who collects them.
Old 2012-10-15, 04:42   Link #51
Clarste
Human

He supports his daughter's hobby, which creates a market for this sort of thing, which directly led to the massacre of the Kurta clan. If no one was buying these things then no one would have any reason to "poach" them.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 01:58   Link #52
SHINOBI-03

Little trivia:

Since we've passed that part within this episode, I should mention this: At the end of chapter 95 Togashi announces the end of the 1999 anime series in March 2001. Corresponding the the current episode, the old anime got an episode and a half left before getting to the OVAs.
Old 2012-10-21, 08:58   Link #53
SHINOBI-03

-EPISODE 52-

Spoiler for Part 1:

--

Spoiler for Part 2:
Old 2012-10-21, 09:36   Link #54
butahill
Inactive Member

^ great comparison once again <3
butahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 21:21   Link #55
chikkychappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
Madhouse's episode was excellent. There was some filler, but it wasn't annoying. The fight was well made and liked the art, animation and effects. Nippon's fight wasn't that great. First on the fight and even though it's good, but that's it: Good. Not excellent, good. First problem was the darkness. It was too dark and I didn't like it and I talked about this before. I, the viewer, want to see what happens clearly. I don't want to watch darkness mixed with color splashes that makes it blurry. Again, what's with the obsession with the unnecessary darkness? They fight in a vast hall and it's a direct combat and it doesn't need to. What, they'll hide in the dark corners like what they did with Killua back in episode 11? And if you want it dark make it in a way that we can make what's going on and not pitch black!

The problem is again and I talked about it is the sound effects that always irritates me on how poor they are chosen and always ruin a big fight for me. Nippon's studio knows how pick soundtracks, but not sound effects. The art is excellent and now doubt about and it's natural since this is the final episode and they want to give it all what they have, but other than that it's not excellent. Madhouse gave us a superb fight with excellent animation and visuals as well as the other Phantom Troupe scenes.

9.5\10
[/SPOILER]
madhouse has way more filler = defends it and talks about his of "good execution"
nippon has way more filler = bash the filler and ignores all other aspects of execution

danchou vs zaoldyecks is one of the absolutely best scenes in the entire 1999 series while in this version it was crap, even just going by the usual madhouse standards.

Last edited by chikkychappy; 2012-10-21 at 21:51.
chikkychappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 21:58   Link #56
F21

Here's another comparison between the Chrollo V Zeno & Silva scene.

Nippon Animation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUw55rnjoe8

Madhouse:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hTta0c4V30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkychappy View Post
(the stylistic choice of having the fight in a dark-lit room)
That wasn't a choice. Nippon Animation fucked up the film masters.

Last edited by F21; 2012-10-22 at 05:12.
Old 2012-10-21, 22:05   Link #57
chikkychappy

Thumbs down

Quote:

That wasn't a choice. Nippon Animation fucked up the film masters.
no they didn't. every bloody anime around that time suffered from the watered-down effects of the conversion thingy they did. it was not an unforeseen fuck-up. it was the NORM during that time and it was expected by the staff.

and even considering the effect of this conversion, the purplish hue and dark lighting is still much darker than the off-white/yellow-ish walls 2011 chose.

anyway this is not a big deal to me. though i greatly prefer 1999's dark room because i think it sets the mood better, i am not in a crusade against 2011's bright room.
Old 2012-10-21, 22:05   Link #58
mistress_kisara

Quote:
[snipped]
So he has a different opinion than you, so what? Deal with it..

Last edited by monir; 2012-10-21 at 22:32.
mistress_kisara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 22:12   Link #59
F21

Quote:
no they didn't. every bloody anime around that time suffered from the watered-down effects of the conversion thingy they did. it was not an unforeseen fuck-up. it was the NORM during that time and it was expected by the staff.

and even considering the effect of this conversion, the purplish hue and dark lighting is still much darker than the off-white/yellow-ish walls 2011 chose.
No, they fucked up. It's most noticeable during the massacre at the auction, where scenes are so dark you can't actually make out what's happening. It's also the reason for the seizure-inducing flashes that plague the Chrollo/Zoldyck fight.
Old 2012-10-21, 22:23   Link #60
chikkychappy

Quote:
No, they fucked up. It's most noticeable during the massacre at the auction, where scenes are so dark you can't actually make out what's happening. It's also the reason for the seizure-inducing flashes that plague the Chrollo/Zoldyck fight.
teach me more master. i'm not knowledgable about this whole deal. what part was the mistake exactly? how did the mistake happen? what should they have done to correct this mistake? how does the conversion process work in the first place? any sources/interviews that tipped of you of this fuck-up or are you an expert that you noticed this immediately? i'm also curious because i've been a fan of the 1999 series for a decade now and this is absolutely the first time i've heard about it.

but anyway, man i didn't furuhashi know furuhashi was such a noob. making this kind of mistake even though he'd been doing anime for at least a decade, and in a high-rating series watched by millions of viewers at that! i thought he would have gained enough experience because of rurouni kenshin, which has its own fair share of dark scenes, but apparently not. and here i was holding him in such high regard