AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-09, 01:34   Link #581
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
... My personal rave would by listening to one of the girls sing the OP to the Uchuu Keiji series like Gyaban wwww...
I'm betting on classic anime songs; not that I know many . Or maybe more recent ones: Cruel Angel Thesis, Dota Bata Angel Loop (hey, I can dream) or even Hare Hare Yukai; since Konata is supposed to be a hardcore otaku, it would be weird if she didn't sing it .

Of course, assuming they will make this karaoke ending every episode.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 01:37   Link #582
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
Just some random screen grabs from the open...

Cute girls with glasses FTW.

She is the one that looks the most moe to me right now.

Her name is Miyuki, right?
Old 2007-04-09, 01:38   Link #583
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
By the way, how many of you here actually read the manga by Yoshimizu Kagami? There's a whole lot of difference in knowing the original manga and knowing what to expect from the anime - and in this case KyoAni did a good adaptation of bringing out the subtleness from the manga.

The yuru~i and mata~ri (very loose and laid back) -ness that was as described and marketed on the manga was exactly that - the anime itself was yuru~i and mata~ri wwww.

Well, except for the OP and the spurt-my-milk-from-my-mouth laughter of selecting Kyodain for the ED wwww I wonder if they'll continue to have each of the girls sing some otaku-ish theme song at every ED from now on? My personal rave would by listening to one of the girls sing the OP to the Uchuu Keiji series like Gyaban wwww

Plus, they've managed to add in some more expansions to some of the neta (the punchlines?) with "how to eat a puff cream" "how to eat the strawberry shortcake" "how do you eat a curry rice" etc. Especially the curry rice made me chuckle as I've never heard of putting mayo into curry or on an oyako-don. (note to self: must try that sometime!)

Many of these are a subtle jokes would be difficult for a non-Japanese person to understand. Some examples:

Konata adds sauce to curry, whereas Tsukasa adds mayo
Reference to curry rice being a favorite dish among the majority of Japanese households, and each household has different ways of eating and "tasting it up" with various secret recipes. By the way, my household way is adding in slices of apples and instant coffee before adding in the rou.

Kagami reading a newspaper on recent weirdos
Confinement kidnappings were heavily put on the news in Japan in which they all happen to be weirdos which further put demise to the otaku stereotype that we are all losers. But, what Konata says is partly true - some idiots can't distinguish what's real and what's not.
Thanks, I always find your explanations really helpful. ^_^

I agree with you in that those who have actually seen the original source material (such as myself) probably wouldn't have had unreasonable expectations, and thus were able to better enjoy the show for what it is, not what Kyoto Animation's past works have been. I got the same feeling from watching this that I get when I see an episode of Azumanga Daioh. AzuDai doesn't really make me laugh out loud, but I easily go through the whole episode with a smile on my face, as I can't help but smile at it. So long as Lucky☆Star accomplishes that, I'll be happy. It probably won't end up as my favorite anime or anything, but quite frankly I'm not really all that interested in this season's new shows anyway (I can't help it, I just don't appreciate mecha or romantic comedies all that much...), so I'll still be following this (and Hayate, I guess).
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 01:41   Link #584
Lunacy

I personally enjoyed the food bit, especially, about chococorone... I used to eat that as a child and wondered the same thing: "which is is the head and which side should I eat from?". And I have always referred to chococorone as mothra, larvae form, so, I am more than fascinated with Konata since we are identical.

As for curry, I like to put scrambled egg over mine.. weird, I know.

As for the ED, it would be interesting to hear random tokusatsu songs.
Lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 01:50   Link #585
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
By the way, how many of you here actually read the manga by Yoshimizu Kagami?
I do and I love it

I thought the anime was a good adaption and the ongoing talk about ways to eat various pastry an interesting add-on... But I just can't wait for Izumi Papa and Tanaka Mama to make the scene.

Heh, they even gave color to Minoru-kun.

BTW is Sauce = Oyster or Tonkatsu?

Curry Recipe here
Adding milk, apple and honey

Also in the OP
何か分 何勝てる 愛してる アレ1個が違ってるんるん
悩みん坊来い 鉄棒 おいしん棒 いい加減にしなさい!

Is this some type of word game? アレ1個が違ってるんるん
I don't get the reference there...
Level E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 02:04   Link #586
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
The OP sounds downright creepy at 50% speed.

I bear no responsibility for incurred nightmares.

Cheers.
Wow, its sound so demonic... I like it... The dance looks like something voodo also...

On the topic of curry, I like to have in on rice AND noodles and hot sauce...

On another topic, I would like an avatar request where Konata repeatedly punches the foreigner... Just have it regularly punch it... Don't really have to get all of Mr. Foreigner...
~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 02:08   Link #587
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Well, there have been over 5000 posts in the Lucky Star threads on 2channel in the past 17 hours or so, and the haters and the unconvinced appear to be running out of steam. Comments are falling into rough parity, or even slightly pro. For a while there, it looked like mass hysteria of a similar but opposite kind to the SHnY posts last year. I wonder if it's the same people.

I am struck that the anti-Hirano Aya feeling does not seem that strong. There were negative comments, but surprisingly few, considering that there is over a thread of anti-Aya posts on 2channel for every ten of the main Aya threads, and she has the second-highest number of anti- threads of any female seiyuu (after Mizuki Nana). Some people prefaced their remarks with: "I hate Hirano, but..." A couple of people said that they were uneasy about her in the role but she was good. People also had few complaints about the other seiyuu, despite the fact that 2channel is generally highly suspicious of inexperienced seiyuu.

I didn't read everything, just skimmed a couple of threads, so I might have missed things, but that's how it seemed to me. By the way, the male seiyuu with the highest number of anti- threads appear to be Suzumura Kenichi (Shinn Asuka) and Konishi Katsuyuki (Sergay Wang).

The main complaints continue to be that the show is not funny and nothing special, and seem to take delight in saying KyoAni has taken a step backward.
Unfortunately things never really even out on 2Channel as far as I can tell. They'll all be back next week to do the same thing again. The one thing that amuses me the most is that like every topic exceeds the 1000 post mark in like an hour and all I ever see are these really short post which I can only assume is a back and forth flame war going on between the people. The Anti-Threads I assume are some sort of attempt to counter the usual threads for the sake of doing so. To me you can't win an argument just by creating a topic soley for the sake of bashing somebody you probably don't even know, it just starts flame wars and cross-thread raids. I can't really take anything 2Channel says seriously, I'm sorry. It seems likes its all just one big mess of "I hate Aya Hirano", "Bloody Gaijin I hate you I will do so and so to your children", "This was crap", "Kyoto Animation Forever". I mean I can only assume, but this is the impression I get whenever somebody mentions something happening over there.

I'm looking at part 13 right now and you know, they are talking about the air times and then the opening, and out of nowhere is an ASCII art of the Emperor of Brittania and then some guy gives his ASCII art of approval and then ASCII of Izumi and then Nanoha for some reason and the Emperor again and then a Kyon ASCII of him expressing dissaproval. It's just chaos. Basically you'll get the one guy posting random stuff about the show and another countering it with something that has nothing to do with anything regarding why the show sucks compared to so and so and repeat for as long as one can hold out.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-09 at 02:25.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 02:20   Link #588
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Unfortunately things never really even out on 2Channel as far as I can tell. They'll all be back next week to do the same thing again. The one thing that amuses me the most is that like every topic exceeds the 1000 post mark in like an hour and all I ever see are these really short post which I can only assume is a back and forth flame war going on between the people. The Anti-Threads I assume are some sort of attempt to counter the usual threads for the sake of doing so. To me you can't win an argument just by creating a topic soley for the sake of bashing somebody you probably don't even know, it just starts flame wars and cross-thread raids. I can't really take anything 2Channel says seriously, I'm sorry. It seems likes its all just one big mess of "I hate Aya Hirano", "Bloody Gaijin I hate you I will do so and so to your children", "This was crap", "Kyoto Animation Forever". I mean I can only assume, but this is the impression I get whenever somebody mentions something happening over there.
This is EXACTLY why I don't ever bother to read 2-chan. Gee, I'm agreeing with Kaioshin_dono an awful lot today, no?

In completely unrelated news.
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 02:23   Link #589
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I think the main problem or negativity stemming from Kyoto Animation's seemingly not-as-great-as-thought-it-would-be Lucky Star that's overshadowed by the OP is that not many is extremely familiar with the manga and it's style or execution within the 4-koma jokes. Granted, I don't read it, but from what I've heard, it's more subtle and pokes random fun at the little things in society and daily life from a bunch of game-girl otakus.

I'm not sure if this is a proper comparison... but those who watch Sunrise adaptions know that they tend to take subtle, sometimes not even subtle jokes or puns and flamboyantly grinds them to the ground and gives it out with a bang. It's not wholely "faithful" to the original source material for most parts, but it's more astethically pleasing as people would get bored as well if Sunrise faithfully adapted Yakitate Japan with simple puns and scientific explainations. As for Kyoto Animation, they seem to be going the "subtle" route that for it's sacrifice of excitingness or comedy in a more open air, captures how the manga's feel was?

Or maybe some people were expecting Kyou no Go no Ni instead? :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacy View Post
As for curry, I like to put scrambled egg over mine.. weird, I know.

I thought the joke was on how the curry was prepared instead of what we eat curry with? I like adding milk and slices of apple when making the curry. It's not a common practice in Southeast Asia, but I blame manga for making me and my grandma experiment with our cooking....and using my parents as kitchen lab rats.

I demand ULTRAMAN SONG!

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 02:25   Link #590
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
... I can't really take anything 2Channel says seriously, I'm sorry. It seems likes its all just one big mess of "I hate Aya Hirano", "Bloody Gaijin I hate you I will do so and so to your children", "This was crap", "Kyoto Animation Forever". I mean I can only assume, but this is the impression I get whenever somebody mentions something happening over there.
I'm not reporting the good stuff, I guess, but there is lots of everything, good and bad. For example, with everyone here and there totally confused by Touka Gettan, there have been some good explanations posted there, and sensible discussion. And there are sensible posts for and against Lucky Star sandwiched among the dross. People just ignore the posts that don't interest them, I think.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 02:27   Link #591
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Then again, I'm kinda glad in a way that a lot of people are dismissing this show. That just means people won't be running around complaining about how overrated it is, and I can enjoy it in peace.
Actually, I'm predicting, based on trends I've already seen in various other anime threads (SHnY being the most obvious, but I've also seen it in Manabi Straight and Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha and definitely in Mai HiME), some people who don't like the show will continue to watch it anyway, entirely because they want to stick around doing nothing but slam the show.

I have no clue why they do this. The most common reason given is "balance", which I think kind of defeats the purpose of being a fan in the first place.

To answer other questions: I would probably not have heard of Lucky Star as soon as I did if it weren't for KyoAni. I would probably have tagged it as "try it and see" once I looked at various bloggers' Spring season picks. I would probably have grabbed the raw when it came out, since I do it for most new anime nowadays.

And KyoAni or otherwise, I'd definitely have stayed with it and fell in love with it just as I am right now.

It's amazing how painful it feels when something which I like is bashed to bits for not conforming to the "accepted high-class taste" or some such.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 02:29   Link #592
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
This is EXACTLY why I don't ever bother to read 2-chan. Gee, I'm agreeing with Kaioshin_dono an awful lot today, no?

In completely unrelated news.
I think what the people posting in the comment section don't realize is that its another slight. He's basically saying the show is no more funny than an episode of Benny Hill.

To the guy above: It's cause it isn't like Haruhi (Animation and character-wise) that's its being bashed to bits I think. There are no Key fans to back them up on this one like there were with Kanon and Air though , which lacked Haruhi. I have a strong feeling everybody felt Konata was the next Haruhi and they expected lots of shouting, bullying and bossiness from Aya Hirano's Izumi, who's really just kind of a dumb otaku that goes Muuuuuuuuu.......

I swear Kyoto Animation is parodying themselves or the impression they give by making this choice of series though. Just think about it for a second and it kind of makes sense both regarding the simplisitic almost superflat style animation and the characters that are so in your face moe at times it can't be a coincidence. The show feels like SD KyoAni, if only they had actually made Lucky Star in the first place.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-09 at 02:41.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 02:49   Link #593
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tsukuyomi View Post
~ On another topic, I would like an avatar request where Konata repeatedly punches the foreigner... Just have it regularly punch it... Don't really have to get all of Mr. Foreigner...
Two versions. The former is slightly slower at 20fps, while the latter follows the anime speed at 25fps.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-09, 02:51   Link #594
Lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

I thought the joke was on how the curry was prepared instead of what we eat curry with? I like adding milk and slices of apple when making the curry. It's not a common practice in Southeast Asia, but I blame manga for making me and my grandma experiment with our cooking....and using my parents as kitchen lab rats.

I demand ULTRAMAN SONG!
I have no special way to prepare my curry, that is why I shared my bizarre scrambled egg curry. I didn't mean to confuse anyone. Milk, apple, honey, aren't those ingridients in curry pretty common in Japan? I heard goat milk does wonders, though.
*sorry I love talking about food*

Ultraman song would be pretty funny to hear Konata sing.

I think, Lucky Star will get more interesting as the series continues.. From what I hear she starts working at a Maid Cafe? Oh, that will be fun.
Old 2007-04-09, 02:57   Link #595
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacy View Post
I have no special way to prepare my curry, that is why I Ultraman song would be pretty funny to hear Konata sing.
Did you miss the reference in the OP?
Level E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 03:06   Link #596
Skane
Anime Snark

Talking

The following is not AnimeSuki-friendly and was purely made for my own amusement.

Personally, I am flabbergasted that they poured so much detail into that one scene. It was practically animated at a full 24 frames per second (most animes are 8fps, with the good ones usually at 12fps. Beggar productions are 6fps). Yes, you read that right. An OVA-level framerate for a parody of Streetfighter.

If you thought that marble in Kanon was overkill...

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-09, 03:09   Link #597
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level E View Post
How many even noticed, I wonder?

That's the favourite part of the OP for me, 2nd being the purple haired girl walking like she's some anime character at the temple walkway. Paradox lol.

Maybe we'll see Konata : ~ "she was getting harrased by some Baltan cosplayer and I specium-beamed his ass".

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 03:09   Link #598
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
The following is not AnimeSuki-friendly and was purely made for my own amusement.

Personally, I am flabbergasted that they poured so much detail into that one scene. It was practically animated at a full 24 frames per second (most animes are 8fps, with the good ones usually at 12fps. Beggar productions are 6fps). Yes, you read that right. An OVA-level framerate for a parody of Streetfighter.

If you thought that marble in Kanon was overkill...

Cheers.
I'd like to use that for an avatar over at a forum where that's perfectly within the rules for avatars (i.e. not here). May I?
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 03:16   Link #599
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the Fox View Post
I'd like to use that for an avatar over at a forum where that's perfectly within the rules for avatars (i.e. not here). May I?
Sure, go ahead.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-09, 03:22   Link #600
Lunacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level E View Post
Ultraman or curry reference?

Konata: "じゃ。。カレーライスはどうしてる?ルウとライスはまぜてたべる?” (sorry not good with kanji)

I personally thought Konata was asking "do you mix rice and the sauce before eating?" meaning do you like to blend before eating or keep it clean? If I got the wrong impression than please do correct me.

If it's some Ultraman reference, no I did not get it. I have watched a few Ultraman episodes, a long time ago, but not enough to spot any hardcore reference. But I would love for you to point some out for me. =)

Edit: Nvm.. I just watched it and saw Konata with the arm pose. Funny. lol You guys have good eyes. I'm impressed. =P

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen