Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-28, 17:38   Link #1
elhaym45622
Professional Otaku-ddict

Looking for anything not on (very big) list: rarities are welcome

*Edit* Sorry for the list, didn't see the sticky. I'll pay attention next time.

Ok, i've run into a problem. I watch a lot of anime.... a whole lot. Below is a list of most of what I've seen. Any recommendations on quality shows? I'm not fond of romantic comedy, definitely not fond of shounen-ai, but pretty much anything else goes.

Naruto
Hunter x Hunter
Rozen Maiden
Haruka Naru Toki no Naka de - Hachiyoushou
Scrapped Princess
Gunparade March
My Neighbor Totoro
Planetes
Voices of a Distant Star
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Noein
2x2=Shinobuden
Azumanga Dioh
Black Cat
Bleach
Blood Last Vampire
Blood+
Bubblegum Crisis 2040
Chrono Crusade
Excel Saga
Fate/Stay Night
Furi Kuri
Full Metal Panic!
Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
GetBackers
Ghost in the Shell
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex- 2nd GIG
Gravion
Gundam Seed
Gundam Seed Destiny / Astray
Gundam X
Gundam Wing
Gungrave
Gunslinger Girl
Haibane Renmei
Hellsing
Infininte Ryvius
Iria Zeiram The Animation
Jyuu Oh Sei
Kage Kara Mamoru
Kaleido Star
Kiddy Grade
Laputa- Castle in the Sky
Last Exile
Mai-Otome
Mobile Suit Gundam 0079
Najica Blitz Tactics
Narutaru
NieA 7
One Piece
Pani Poni Dash!
Porco Rosso
Project ARMS
Puni Puni Poemy
RahXephon
RAY The Animation
Read or Die TV
Record of Lodoss War
Samurai Champloo
S.CRY.ED
Serial Experiments LAIN
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Spriggan
Starship Operators
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi Universe
Tenshi na Konamaiki
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuuto
The Third - Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo
The Twelve Kingdoms
TIDE-LINE Blue
Tokko
Trigun
Tsubasa Chronicle Season 1
Tsubasa Chronicle Season 2
Whisper of the Heart
Wolf's Rain
xxxHolic
Zero no Tsukaima
Zone of the Enders
Yu Yu Hakusho
Jinki:Extend
Vampire Princess Miyu
Jigoku Shoujo
Bakuretsu Tenshi
Mahoraba

Well, thats about it. Probably more that I would recognize, but this is all I have off the top of my head. Also, any manga suggestions are welcome as well, but I've read even more than I have watched... Sometimes I think I need to get a life.

Thanks for the help.

[Also, for anybody who happens upon this on their own quest for good titles, I highly recommend The Twelve Kingdoms, Tenshi na Konamaiki, Noein, Kaleido Star and Infinite Ryvius. Were it not for lack of anything else to watch, I never would have happened upon these gems. Probably the best storylines I have ever encountered, even though Twelve Kingdoms ran out of money and ends on an awkward note (still 45 episodes, though.) Try 'em if you haven't seen 'em already.]
Old 2006-09-28, 17:48   Link #2
MamoruUsagi

I have a boyfriend, my boyfriend is a bad boy and he loves me and I love romance and drama. I love soap operas. I like Beverly Hills, 90210. Shoujo manga are great, they have lots of romance, the couples date and get married, it's wonderful. I have a lot of great romance dramas listed. Romantic dramas are great. I have a lot more I can list, but I can list even more series then you. Beverly Hills, 90210 is a great series.

Beverly Hills 90210 is a great series.

Beverly Hills, 90210 is a great romantic drama.

Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Sailor Moon
Fushigi Yuugi
Fushigi Yugi
Fushigi Yugi: The Mysterious Play
Ayashi no Ceres
Ceres: Celestial Legend
Marmalade Boy
Peach Girl
Mars
Bokura ga Ita
Kare Kano
Pichi Pichi Pitch Mermaid Melody
Fushigi Yuugi
Mars
Wild Act
Missile Happy!
Sensual Phrase
The Devil Does Exist
Akuma De Sourou
Happy Hustle High
Kare First Love
Fushigi Yugi
We Were There
Sand Chronicles
Black Bird
B.O.D.Y.
Land of The Blindfolded
High School Debut
Bokura ga Ita
Sailor Moon
Paradise Kiss
Love Attack
Happy Hustle High
Kare First Love
Mars
Paradise Kiss
Ultra Cute
Absolute Boyfriend
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
Sensual Phrase
Fushigi Yugi
Sailor Moon
Kare First Love
Fushigi Yuugi
Mars
Kare Kano
Mars
Akuma De Sourou
Doubt!!
Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou
Ultra Cute
Paradise Kiss
Punch!
Bokura ga Ita

Fushigi Yuugi is a wonderful series where the couple are boyfriend and girlfriend and dating during the series. It's a wonderful series with romance and fantasy. The manga is great, the manga is a lot longer and better than the anime. Read the manga, the manga is so much longer than the anime.

Fushigi Yugi is 18 volumes, the manga is a lot better than the anime. The manga is 18 volumes and is wonderful, the anime only goes up to volume 13. The manga is really, really great, but the anime takes out a lot of the wonderful storyline. The couple become boyfriend and girlfriend, get married and have a child. The series is wonderful, romantic and great.

Mars is a manga is really good and mature. The series deals with sex, rape, dating, romance, engagement and more. The couple gets together early on and dates during the series.

Ayashi no Ceres (Manga)

The manga is good. The anime takes out so much of the storyline. The anime takes out some of volume 1, some of volume 2, some of volume 3, all of volume 6, all of volume 7, a lot of volume 8, almost all of volume 9, almost all of volume 10, a lot of volume 11, etc. The manga is really, really good. Their are many tasteful sex scenes.

Marmalade Boy is very realistic.

Bokura ga Ita is very realistic.

Mars is a realistic romance series.

Kare First Love is a romance series where the couple are boyfriend and girlfriend early on in the series and date during the series.

Kare Kano is a completely different series form Kare First Love, but also good.

Absolute Boyfriend is good.

Peach Girl, the manga. Peach Girl is a great manga series, the anime cuts everything out and changes all references of sex to kissing. The manga is great, it is 18 volumes. Volumes 1-8 are sold as Peach Girl 1-8, volumes 9-18 are sold as Peach Girl Change Of Heart 1-10. Makre sure you get the right volumes, you might get the wrong ones. The series is so realistic.

Happy Hustle High is a really romantic manga with lots of kissing and sex, there is lots of romance between the main couple. They become boyfriend and girlfriend early on in the series and date during the series and have lots of passionate kisses and sex.

Akuma De Sourou is a realistic romance series.

The Devil Does Exist is a realistic romance series.

Paradise Kiss is a realistic romance series.

Bokura ga Ita is a realistic romance series.

The Happy Hustle High manga. The couple becomes boyfriend and girlfriend early on in the series and dates during the series and there is lots of romance.

Of course Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Mask is my all time favorite, 200 anime episodes, 18 manga volumes, the live action series. They become boyfriend and girlfriend, get married and have a child. It's the perfect long romance.

Sensual Phrase is a mature series.

Beverly Hills, 90210 is a great series.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2010-07-08 at 20:40.
Old 2006-09-28, 18:53   Link #3
elhaym45622
Professional Otaku-ddict

Read most of the above in manga form at one point in time. Forgot to mention Stellvia (recent addition, didn't make it to the list, its an old one). Enjoyed KareKano, Mars, what I could find of Peach Girl, Ayashi no Ceres, and Fushigi Yuugi was pretty good. Also loved Marmalade Boy manga, does the anime keep the quality? There are a few others that I enjoyed in the shoujo stuff (I traditionally only read shoujo, I get angry when characters make idiots of themselves and manga is easy to skim those parts -- Tokyo Crazy Paradise, Power!! (Girl Got Game), Crest/Banner/Banner II of Stars, Hana Kimi, Hot Blooded Woman (Korean Manwha), Anti-Gravity Boy.

Like I said, I read even more than I have watched , and I do love Romance Drama as long as the main characters don't act like kindergarteners (excepting Kodoma no Omocha, where the kindergarteners act like adults). Thanks, im picking Karin back up, checking out Kanon, H3 School. Appreciate the response.
Old 2006-09-28, 19:12   Link #4
MamoruUsagi

I suggest Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien over Kanon. Things in KimiNozu are more dramatic. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is a must see series, even if you don't like it, you should check it out. The plot's addicting. Happy Hustle High is really cute. The first volume may make it seem like it's just for laughs, but the second volume and beyond gets into romance and drama and is really good. Beverly Hills, 90210 is a great series.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2007-01-02 at 17:01.
Old 2006-09-28, 19:38   Link #5
Xinil
Blargh

Send a message via ICQ to Xinil Send a message via AIM to Xinil
Monster, Monster, Monster. Definitely can't recommend Monster enough.

Here are a few others I got after browsing through my list:

Hajime No Ippo
Black Lagoon
Desert Punk (freakin' hilarious)
Hellsing OVA's
Speed Grapher

Those should keep you occupied for a while. They're all really good watches too. Check out my list if you think you want more recommendations.
Old 2006-09-28, 20:26   Link #6
elhaym45622
Professional Otaku-ddict

Saw the first episode of KGNE and didn't like it, but I didn't stick with it long. I'll try it again, it seems to be a very popular choice. When I read Akuma De Sourou I couldn't get into it, but I stopped that one quicker than usual as well. I'll retry them; as for Kare First Love, I've never seen it anywhere, but I'll take a look.

As for Monster-- YES! I loved it. Manga is a literary art, not a comic, as is 20th Century Boys (which I didn't read forever because I confused it with something else, to my eternal shame.) Also seen the rest on Xinil's current list, except for Desert Punk- I'll take a look at it soon, and I'll take a gander at your anime list as well. Maison Ikkoku looks good, too.

Speed Grapher, though.... I can't say I was too fond of it. It was alright, had some good action, but in my opinion it just doesn't compare to the quality of other action shows. Plus they never really explained how they got rid of the tumor in her head. I hate cliff-hangers. ^^
Old 2006-09-28, 22:17   Link #7
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Saw the first episode of KGNE and didn't like it
Don't worry, that's what everyone thinks at the end of ep 1. You're real opinion about KGNE shouldn't be formed until after episode 2->forward.

Don't have much reccomendations based on your list but some generally-liked anime that doesn't seem to be on your list include Elfen Lied & Honey and Clover.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2006-09-28, 22:28   Link #8
SinsI

Try Gokujou Seitokai - school comedy about a school there student council is almighty.
and Gakuen Senki Muryou - its hard to place a label on it. I consider it slice of life with some nice action and comedy: an ordinary school life under extraordinary circumstances.
Old 2006-09-28, 22:29   Link #9
unwill

I second Elfen Lied... hard to place it ^^
Saint Seiya TV is a good action anime, kinda like Yu Yu Hakushu...
Hajime Ippo - Sport Boxing anime, can be enjoyed even if you dont like Boxing.
Mai Hime - In my opinion , its better than Mai Otome. (but very similar style )
Old 2006-09-28, 22:47   Link #10
elhaym45622
Professional Otaku-ddict

Sounds good. Seen Elfen Lied, read Hajime no Ippo, only seen the crappy english port of Saint Seiya, watched Mai Hime before Otome, must've forgotten to put it down. Liked it, though, even though I thought everyone in both Hime and Otome was going to die before miraculously recovering in the last episode.

I'll check out Gokujou Seitokai and Gakuen Senki Muryou, they both sound interesting. Also going to check out Honey and Clover. Thanks, keep 'em coming, this may keep me occupied for a while. ^^

(thinks he should've done this a long time ago)
Old 2006-09-29, 02:27   Link #11
andromeda0201

a few more quality series I hope you would check out

Kurau Phantom Memory - the least heard of masterpiece from Bones, since you liked Noein, I assume you like sci-fic, and this is definitely one of the good ones

Fantastic Children - yet another sci-fic masterpiece, don't be put off by the drawings and the extremely complex storyline at the beginning, you will discover the gem near the end

Princess Tutu - the only ballet anime for now, looks extremely cute and kiddy on the surface but actually has dark undertones

Full Moon wo Sagashite - very touching shoujo series with good songs, don't miss it

Hikaru no Go - never knew something as boring as chess could be made so interesting

Some other good ones:
Suzuka
Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu
Gakuen Alice
Samurai 7
Aishiteruze Baby
Beck
Victorian Romance Emma
Gankutsuou
Fruits Basket
Honey and Clover
Lamune
Midori no Hibi
School Rumble
Gokusen
Yakitate Japan
Someday's Dreamers
Haibane Renmei
Spiral (if you don't mind an incomplete ending, the process however was good)
Da Capo
Old 2006-09-29, 10:33   Link #12
unwill

Looks like people just post the anime they like instead of actually reading your post.

Alot of the suggested anime is romantic comedy or comedy of some kind...

Have you seen Tokyo Underground? The usual shounen superpower anime, but is worth watching
Old 2006-09-29, 15:42   Link #13
elhaym45622
Professional Otaku-ddict

Inujun -- I'll check 'em out. Seen Hikaru--and isn't it Go, not chess? Full Moon-- read some of the manga, I'll check out the series. Not particularly fond of it from what I have seen, though. Also saw Spiral, Beck, Aishiteruze Baby, Fruints Basket, Yakitate, Haibane, read Emma. Is Lamune good? Was also planning to watch Midori no Hibi -- loved the manga.

unwill--Hehe, yeah, nobody much ever bothers to read the posts. No problem, as I mentioned before im pretty open as long as I don't end up wanting to asphyxiate the protagonist. Nope, never seen Tokyo Underground, i'll check it out.

Oh yeah, and MamoruUsagi: read H3 -- LOVE IT. Story is great, characters interesting, art fantastic. Thanks for the reference.
Old 2006-09-29, 17:24   Link #14
MamoruUsagi

http://animenewsnetwork.com/encyclop...ga.php?id=2837

Here is kare First Love. Glad you liked my recommendations. I like it when posters enjoyed the series I recomended! That means they also enjoy the series.

I remember in 1995 when I would watch my first anime at 6:30 in the morning... Ah, how young I was.

Last edited by MamoruUsagi; 2006-09-29 at 20:38.
Old 2006-09-29, 17:25   Link #15
LynRee
-

Try watching Berserk, I don't see it on your list, and it's a series you shouldn't miss. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and the Hellsing OVAs also, as well as Comedy. These come to mind atm.
Old 2006-09-29, 18:33   Link #16
elhaym45622
Professional Otaku-ddict

Thanks, LynRee. Berserk was a great manga, look forward to the series; Just watche d bloodlust, another that didn't make it to the list, and just watched the first of the Hellsing OVA-- looks a lot closer to the manga than the series. And what the heck is Comedy? A genre, or a specific reccomendation?

MamoruUsagi-- added reputation. I don't know what it does, either. And, your first anime was 1995? I think that was when I watched my first anime, too-- Sailor Moon, then one of the Dragon Ball Z movies, Bubble Gum Crisis 2040, then Ninja Scroll. I was seven... Ninja Scroll was an interesting experience, not exactly my idea of a child-frendly movie. Guess thats what happens when your best friend is four years older than you, and his friend four years older than him. Such is life.
Old 2006-09-30, 03:01   Link #17
LynRee
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhaym45622
And what the heck is Comedy? A genre, or a specific reccomendation?
No, I wasn't talking about a genre, it was a specific recommendation. This is what I meant: http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...anime&aid=1054

The only bad thing about it is that it's too short.
Old 2006-09-30, 04:19   Link #18
Lost

Mushishi wasn't on your list; neither was it recommended.

It is a beautifully rendered 26 episode series that essentially chronicles Human drama; by using Mushi as a plot-catalyst to tell stories about Human motivations, trials and determination. Mushi are fictional beings/organisms that, just by their physiologies/way of living, affect (more in a bad way than good) Humans when their paths intercept; much like parasites or bacteria. A Mushishi is a person who can see and catches/studies these beings, and one of them, Ginko, is our main character. This is an episodic series; i.e. what begins in one episode ends in that episode, and our main character moves on from story to story, place to place. (Actually, I like to think that the main characters are really the characters in each episode/story.) The Anime has been completed, is currently yet unlicensed and has been subbed till 25.

Mushishi
is a rarity; both in popularity, and quality.

Art drawing: 9/10
Music: 10/10
Stories: 9/10

I have not read the Manga, but will be doing so soon, as it was recently licensed by DelRey.

#3 on my favourites list; Highly recommended, and made me cry more than once.

(thats a very long list; yes get a life) Jk.
Old 2006-09-30, 09:59   Link #19
miaka

i'll second on mushishi. and in line with its style i'll recomend ...
kino no tabi - its about kino's journey together with his talking motorcycle.

demonbane - mecha anime with some magical theme
soul link - it gives me an impression of infinite ryvius
Innocent venus - currently ongoing.
Black Blood Brother - currently ongoing ... its a vampire show
utawarerumono - action adventure and very strategic ... its licensed though
air gear - action/sci-fi
twin spica - about a girl want to be an astronaut.
eyeshield 21 - comedy sport anime about american football
Gintama - comedy sci-fi samurai
Higurashi no naku koro ni - mystery, horror, suspense ... based on murder mystery computer game.

lamune is romance anime same style with kanon, to heart, hantsuki. The story is light and easy going. It's perfect to kill time and relax.
Closed Thread