AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 17 Rating
Perfect 10 46 45.10%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 37 36.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 11.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.96%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-03, 08:42   Link #121
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
why was there special thanks for SOS dan in the ending credits ?
its not like there were any haruhi parodies in ep 17
Old 2007-08-03, 10:45   Link #122
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
I personally don't think medicine should have that elevated social status. It's just like any other applied science. The reason I didn't go into medicine was after years of hearing about unbelievable stupidity and arrogance in the field from those who had to work it (You'd THINK eight years of rigorous schooling would weed the idiots out, but apparently not...). I'm only now considering going to medical school in the future because I want to be able to practice in the mission field... but this is really off topic, so I'll stop there.
There's a general tendency to confuse the ability to memorize and stubbornness with the ability to solve problems
The way medical school is structured tends to reward the first ability.
Old 2007-08-03, 10:57   Link #123
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
You can call anyone you respect "sensei". The sense of respect is usually due to expertise/knowledge (doctors, teachers, etc) or social status (members of diet, etc). Today the term is usually used when someone is a recognized expert in the field, thus many would call even manga-ka sensei. Strictly speaking, a "sensei" is someone who has something to teach you and you're showing your respect for him/her.

It's a term that came from Chinese Confucianism, where the term meant "Born before". In ancient China, learned people (basically pepole who can read) are highly respected, and those who offer to teach it to the unlearned are called Sensei. The respect for teachers emanate throught out East-Asian society, and this term became a designation of respect for all learned individuals.

Incientally, the kanji for "sensei" means "Mister" in modern mandarin Chinese. Anyone who's a dude is called so and so "sensei". Hence this is an ancient Chinese term, not a modern one. This is a common point of confusion for Chinese learner of Japanese - "why did he just call his female teacher "Mister"?"
Yes, in Chinese society nowadays, "先生"(xiansheng) simply means "mister".

The term used by Chinese to address a (perceived) master of any profession is "師傅" (sifu). (Pronounced "see-foo" in Cantonese and "sh-fu" in Mandarin). That's the equivalent of a Japanese "先生" (sensei).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensei
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sifu
Old 2007-08-03, 13:26   Link #124
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Yes, in Chinese society nowadays, "先生"(xiansheng) simply means "mister".

The term used by Chinese to address a (perceived) master of any profession is "師傅" (sifu). (Pronounced "see-foo" in Cantonese and "sh-fu" in Mandarin). That's the equivalent of a Japanese "先生" (sensei).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensei
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sifu
Heh, I remember being slightly confused over that when I first took Japanese back in freshman year of high school. It's sort of annoying when the meaning of the Chinese characters I learned back in Chinese school don't really match up with the corresponding kanji in Japanese.
Old 2007-08-03, 19:15   Link #125
GoldAlchemist
Yamada...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's a general tendency to confuse the ability to memorize and stubbornness with the ability to solve problems
The way medical school is structured tends to reward the first ability.
The ability to memorize, that used to be super important for medicine, used to be, before the days of computers and internet!

It's just that the information age has caught up to this particular profession.
Old 2007-08-04, 00:52   Link #126
Luminisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldAlchemist View Post
The ability to memorize, that used to be super important for medicine, used to be, before the days of computers and internet!

It's just that the information age has caught up to this particular profession.
Unfortunately computers and the internet does not follow you into the test room.

Anyways, I couldn't imagine someone like Miyuki being a doctor, spacing out and medicine just doesn't mix for me.

Old 2007-08-04, 18:53   Link #127
Alesiopdv
True Believer of Haruhi

Nobody comments the most funny thing: Konata reaction about the Otaku guy that was arrested. Jajaja.
I say once: "Haruhi is God and Konata her Prophet."
Its true. See how she defends the otaku cause. Jeje.
Old 2007-08-05, 13:46   Link #128
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Hehe really liked the 24 references, didn't expect em

and also I thought its common knowledge ppl go for copies underneath and never the top one??

oh and Yu-chan at the controller ROFL!!!
Old 2007-08-05, 16:50   Link #129
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye.. the top copy is usually damaged and has been thumbed through by other grubby hands more ...... or its a ritual thing
Old 2007-08-05, 18:39   Link #130
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye.. the top copy is usually damaged and has been thumbed through by other grubby hands more ...... or its a ritual thing
I always look at the top copy and then put it back in the middle.
Old 2007-08-05, 21:55   Link #131
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Cutlure References in EP17

Okay It's time for my ref list again... I think I'll do a general culture post and an otaku reference list. Again, this list composed of info from various internet sources including this excellent blog, and my own knowledge about everyday J-culture. Sugu Hajimari!

Spoiler for Hidden until fansubbed:

===
Man this is not as short as I thought! But it is still fun... to be able to find an actual non-otaku photo of the Katsukabe Ito-yakado is suprising, and looking for he exact location of Kagami's FamilyMart was a blast. This is the most fun I've ever gotten out of an anime.

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-06 at 20:09.
Old 2007-08-06, 00:20   Link #132
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

EP 17: Otaku Reference

This is the Otaku Reference List. I'm not going to talk about it more, but I'm just going to translate this in order, minus the cultural things I've already talked about. It's up to you guys to figure out how they actually appeared in the anime...

Spoiler for Unhide when fanubbed:

===
Please add as much as you can on this... I'm not that Otaku...
I'm tired today... I'll add some picture tomorrow....

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-08 at 14:31.
Old 2007-08-06, 03:57   Link #133
Tatsumiko
*Artist

This ep was freakin awesome

as freakin always...XD...so many refrences and theyre really getting better and better in doing them XD
Old 2007-08-06, 11:05   Link #134
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

@AVPlaya: great info as always. Thanks for your time and efforts. I'd rep you up, but the system tells me I have to rep other people before I can do it again.
Old 2007-08-06, 11:40   Link #135
aorta

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Kagami's Light Novel: "レンタルマギカ 魔法使い、貸します" (Rental Magician)
Rental Magica. This is published in Sneaker, the same magazine as Haruhi. It's getting an anime:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=46535
Old 2007-08-06, 20:14   Link #136
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aorta View Post
Rental Magica. This is published in Sneaker, the same magazine as Haruhi. It's getting an anime:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=46535
Thanks!

See I need more help like this...
Old 2007-08-07, 07:16   Link #137
Ceath

I apologise in advance if this is against the rules but im pretty sure the rules only say no asking when the sub is coming out.
My question is what happened to the guerrand sub for this episode? Its been removed from veoh and on the torrents on AS theres a ! for the seeds and leechers. What does this mean?
Old 2007-08-07, 11:25   Link #138
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceath View Post
I apologise in advance if this is against the rules but im pretty sure the rules only say no asking when the sub is coming out.
My question is what happened to the guerrand sub for this episode? Its been removed from veoh and on the torrents on AS theres a ! for the seeds and leechers. What does this mean?
The torrent still works for me.

We don't really know why. You'll get a better answer if you contact Guerrand themselves.
Old 2007-08-07, 11:30   Link #139
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

They changed trackers (nyaatorrents.org no longer responds to web or tracker requests.... either their server crashed or worse) and the new tracker location hasn't updated on the tracker collation sites like AS or baka-updates.
If you go directly to the Guerrand fansub website, the updated tracker is there and works fine.

edit: their new tracker is http://www.datorrents.com/download.a...5D.avi.torrent

edit: FINALLY.... here is the らきすた I'm looking for.... both 17 and 18 are full of goodness.

I thought I was totally fond of hearing Nanako talk but snaggle-toothed Misao-san just explodes my brain. Patricia-san ... her VA is catching the "American teen speaking Japanese" fairly well -- she'd fit right in with the 3rd/4th year students my son knows.

By the time we got to Lucky*Channel, I was so content I have nothing ill to say about it.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-08-07 at 12:47.
Old 2007-08-07, 23:38   Link #140
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Well, I finally got a chance to see this episode. Let me just say this: this episode has definitely cemented Kagami-sama as my favorite character of the show. I'm almost tempted to participate in SaiMoe for the first time just to vote for her.

For me, this was probably also the funniest Lucky Channel since Shiraishi's tsundere rant. And the sped-up part of the ED just made me crack up completely. I'm still not sick of Shiraishi yet.
Closed Thread