AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 41 36.28%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 47 41.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 11.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.88%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.88%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-10, 09:03   Link #21
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
That's all great, but what about the actual episode?
Pending subs.

Natch.
Old 2007-09-10, 10:07   Link #22
shaoron
AQS representative

Hey... you guys remember that fake dub of "gangsta mikuru" in youtube?

forget that!
now we have...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-10, 10:58   Link #23
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaoron View Post
Hey... you guys remember that fake dub of "gangsta mikuru" in youtube?

forget that!
now we have...
Spoiler:
One thing I noticed about Goto Yuko, but not biggy though...

Spoiler:

Now downloading the raws...
Old 2007-09-10, 11:22   Link #24
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
One thing I noticed about Goto Yuko, but not biggy though...

Spoiler:

Now downloading the raws...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-10, 11:23   Link #25
Claymore_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I also know she earned her nickname ゴトゥーザ様 from Kyon's actor by being a serious fan of Fist of North Star, but the rest is probably lost in translation for me.

EDIT: Here is the original photo of Gotouza-sama, complete with identical helmet and monogram white jacket with the Lucky Channel segment.
http://kei.iichan.net/uni/src/1189423625310.jpg

Here is the explanation of her nickname, in japanese
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/keyword/%a5%b4...?kid=176530#f5

I can't provide a decent translation, but I tried to read for personal pleasure.
(disclaimer: my japanese really sucks, so if I got something wrong pardon me )

It seems there are 2 teories about the origin (Hokuto no Ken and Friza from Dragonball), but according to Gotou-sama herself, it looks like the first one is correct.

As you said, she really likes Hokuto no Ken, expecially Raoh, and she talked often with the seiyuu and the sound postrecording people.
Tomokazu Sugita (Kyon) created the nickname because of Gorubeza, who is a Final Fantasy 4 character.

I'm not a FF expert, so I looked for a Gorubeza picture, and he really looks like Raoh when he is in his Kenou armour, with horned helmet and mantle.

So it went like Gorubeza -> Gotuza ?

and by the way, "GO GO Gotuza Junai Gumi" !
Old 2007-09-10, 12:27   Link #26
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm not sure whether to give every episode a 9 or every episode a 10. There were so many things in this ep to love.

The text-entry scene, where Konata's geek-speak words are revealed as having become the defaults.

"Cute" Minami, and Miyuki and her mom laughing at the fact that her friends think she is "cool." Minami feeling sad because she did the right thing with the dog and her mother gave in and had the pleasure of feeding it.

The chain of screen-hiding as first Yui and then Yutaka come in to see what game Kona/Patty are playing. Hiyori saying that she gets her stories from personal experience, then realizing that Yutaka has read one.

Gotuuza-sama. In her remarks at Anime Expo, Gotou Yuuko said she wanted to get roles that were more like her own character: more masculine and forceful. This is her first.

KyoAni's great (but simple) animation of such things as the wooden sword being pressed into Shiraishi's cheek.

Further to what Skane was saying, I'm not sure that the live-action endings are particularly expensive. They took two trips with a small crew -- one to the seaside and one to the mountains -- did a bunch of taping each time, and came home. I imagine that since the first 12 EDs used the same static scene and the latter 12 used simple live-action, the total cost of EDs may be not that different from the normal cost of a fancy animated ED.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-09-11 at 04:25.
Old 2007-09-10, 13:36   Link #27
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
This is my favorite episode to date. There have been other scenes that I've enjoyed as much, but as a whole I can safely say it's my favorite.

I've probably talked about timing on more than half of these episode threads, but here... it was fine! They stuck with the established Lucky Star style and simply made the timing work throughout the entire episode. Bravo.

Heartwarming character portraits? Check. Relatable, near-reference-free otaku lifestyle humor? Very check.

The whole episode, though, I could feel things winding down. The "kusai" running gag finally came to a close, the last SOS-dan member was finally featured in a truly awesome scene, and most of all... It was as though since now every element had finally been introduced, Lucky Star could finally just be itself, comfortable in its own skin.

This episode was non-stop hilarity and emotional satisfaction. The only thing wrong with it was the fact that I know every episode before now could have been this good.
Old 2007-09-10, 14:31   Link #28
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
...I've probably talked about timing on more than half of these episode threads, but here... it was fine! They stuck with the established Lucky Star style and simply made the timing work throughout the entire episode. Bravo....
The end credits say this ep was written by the original director, Yamamoto Yutaka, and edited by the lead writer, Machida Douko. I still don't know if this means she fixed up something he had written before he left, or if he is back with KyoAni now. The storyboard and episode direction were by Yoshioka Shinobu, who did eps 3, 9, and 16; as well as eps 4, 10, 16, 22 of Kanon; and eps 7 and 10 of FMP:TSR.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-09-10, 14:44   Link #29
darksider

Watched ep. 23 and Yes! This is what I would expect in the Lucky Star anime!
Utterly random with no plot whatsoever, and they don't even try to connect anything, just barrages of randomly comical scenes! Hit or miss they don't care!
And almost all the characters are drawn so lively (except poor Tsukasa, but she is enough popular already I guess) and each scene is mostly well timed. Minimal flaw can still be seen but excellent overall.

My rating is... say, 9.7 maybe? (rounded to 10)

Spoiler for possible spoiler, or just random thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
The only thing wrong with it was the fact that I know every episode before now could have been this good.
Hmm, to some extent it must be true, but, honestly I can't totally agree.
If you're not allowed to reload, or to set up a defensive perimeter, you can't fire at peak power.
Old 2007-09-10, 15:53   Link #30
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Poor Minami. It was her episode, and, at the same time, it wasn't her episode...

Nanako crying is so cute, though I do feel sorry for her.

Someone finally called Konata "sempai"! And the united otakus bit was good.
Old 2007-09-10, 17:24   Link #31
Ashlotte
Clockwork

After watching this episode it made me really sad that it took them so long to introduce the full cast...Seems like such a shame to only be graced by everyones performances for such a short time...*sigh*

Well either way it was a pretty damn cute and funny episode...L*C makes me want to go re watch "Mikuru Asahina's Adventure Episode 00" again.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2007-09-10, 17:54   Link #32
archanfels

A great episode.

Not as powerful as 22, nor epicly eventful as people may expect from the second to last episode, it turns out to be quite "normal", which IMO is actually appropriate and fitting for it's the sum of all the little things that we have come to love about Lucky Star: randomness, culture reference, otaku humor, regular humor, moe factors, konaGami interaction(yes, this one deserves its own catagory) and more.

Another reason I liked it this way is because an actually eventful, epic episode will give you a feeling of closure, remind you that one of your favorite show is truly coming to an end. But with the way ep. 23 is, it feels like nothing is changing, it's the same good ol'fun we all know and love, and thus gives me a sort of hope that this fun that is LS will someday continue, and damn do I hope for that.
Old 2007-09-10, 18:23   Link #33
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Episode 21 was great enjoyment from start to finish, Lucky Star style. I like how each of the new characters had some great screen time --- from lol Patty, to classic Hiyori.

Misao yet again shines so bright, i want to play video games with her~

& lol Nanako's last scene was brilliant. I've had that happen to be so many times. Such a classic Nanako thing to happen.
Old 2007-09-10, 18:40   Link #34
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Guerrand just announced their sub of ep 23. Fire them torrents off now.
Old 2007-09-10, 19:46   Link #35
Calawain
Gaijin

The best parts have been pointed out already, I'll give this episode a 9/10, I really enjoyed it. It was a bit sad during the preview noting that the last episode is next =(

But hey, that means there's only like a month left until Clannad right? ;x
Old 2007-09-10, 19:56   Link #36
Yuu-neko
Go! Go! Ouendan!

Spoiler for J-music:

Oh my... I was crossing my fingers on this part:
Good job Patty-chan! XD...
Old 2007-09-10, 20:21   Link #37
kamo

I really liked this episode. It had a lot of random talking and there weren't any big events like in the last few episodes (not that I mind them, but it just feels more Lucky Star-ish like this, with nothing happening ^^;; ) Too bad there's only one more episode. ;-;
And Ayano talked! <3 Finally.
I don't get the part when they were watching the dog show though, and Konata says that girl had to be a tsundere because of her pigtails (twintails?) But Yutaka always has pigtails, and I thought most cute characters like her have them instead of tsunderes?
Old 2007-09-10, 21:23   Link #38
Midonin
Last Engage

I loved this episode. Kagami not being able to enter her message properly was hilarious, as was Kuroi-sensei not being able to send her journal entry. Great way to bookend the episode. I completely related to Miyuki's dental visit, and also to Patty. Listening to a wide variety of artists...so long as they perform in anime. That's me right there. Konata and her dad during the dog show was hilarious, as I don't think anybody but Yutaka were actually interested in the dogs.

Got a small laugh out of Konata buying Kahlua's CD - admiring yourself again, are you, Konata? No matter how many times it will be said, it shall be said again - Yuko Goto in the end was completely badass. Can't wait to see how Akira and Minoru pull the last one off.

If I listed all the great moments in this episode, it would turn into a recap, so a 10/10 for enjoyment all the way through.
Old 2007-09-10, 21:32   Link #39
aorta

Kagami's reaction to Powerpuff Girls Z at Gamers was funny.
Old 2007-09-10, 22:28   Link #40
Panzer Bandit
Serfectly Pober

So Kagami seemed pretty irritated with someone on the phone in this episode...

...could it be?

Spoiler for Wacky theory:
Closed Thread