Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-12, 18:48   Link #41
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembr View Post
I actually felt that all OAVs were still very relevant to otaku lifestyle. Ogiue's introduction/cosplay episode were an exploration into another kind of otaku. Madarame episode was a look deeper into Otaku and their relationship with the norm. They did an episode very similar in concept during the TV series.
Without all the otaku references and activities they do, it wouldn't be Genshiken. I like the fact that they explored the possible "otaku" venues. However, I didn't get this sense of "comradery" in the first TV series that hit me hard in the OAV. It was because of the OAV that I actually felt something for the characters, no longer was I just a casual observer. Saki is no longer annoying to me despite being anti-otaku; I actually like her character. And I really wanted to see Ogiue cosplay It also may be that I've last seen the first season like... 3 years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major1138 View Post
As for a certain pairing (assuming it's the one I think it is), I'm pretty sure they'll get to it eventually - the anime has been a pretty faithful adaptation of the manga so far. I don't see any reason why they would change now. I imagine the 2nd series of Genshiken will see the manga through to the end.
Spoiler for Manga volume 7:
Konata-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 16:38   Link #42
Uribatake

I was overall pleased with the quality of the first episode, but I'm a little worried about the fact that they took a whole episode just to adapt chapter 27 from the manga. If they keep this kind of pace, I think the second series will only cover the manga up to volume 7 or so. Since we already had to wait so long for the second series, I was hoping that at the end of it we wouldn't be left hanging, waiting for a third series or a final OVA.

So far, two groups picked the show up, and both of them made some silly mistakes. I still hope a better group will work on it too, but I'm glad the fansubbing community isn't ignoring Genshiken 2 as it did with Kujibiki Unbalance, which was a surprisingly good show.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-16, 20:23   Link #43
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

The new opening is... "amusing"...

Episode 2 is still Genshiken-like. For Better or worse.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 02:35   Link #44
OoFuri

The new opening is like a Gundam
OoFuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 03:05   Link #45
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

yeah it is

I turned on MPC and then went to get my food out of the microwave. and when I looked at the screen I said, ah shoot, did i click on gundam 00 instead? then madamare's face popped out

and Jeez! school kids cant put their hands there!

Last edited by Potatochobit; 2007-10-17 at 03:36.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 05:57   Link #46
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoFuri View Post
The new opening is like a Gundam
That's the whole point.

My opinion on the OP --- ohmygod Sue. <3
Old 2007-10-17, 09:41   Link #47
grunty

Regarding the OP... other referrences&parody shows have corrupted Genshiken. At least he wakes up at the end... ONLY TO GET BACK TO THE DREAM OMAGA. I say NO.
grunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 10:46   Link #48
Rembr

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunty View Post
Regarding the OP... other referrences&parody shows have corrupted Genshiken. At least he wakes up at the end... ONLY TO GET BACK TO THE DREAM OMAGA. I say NO.
This is a bloody parody/reference show about otakus.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 11:04   Link #49
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
The new opening is... "amusing"...
sounded like sarcasm ^^

Gundam OP FTW!! i think i actually choked on some saliva watching that XD

good to see genshiken continuing to be what i expect it to be but this time with 110% more service ^^

cant wait to see what happens next...and maybe...sasahara x ogiure?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 11:09   Link #50
stevency
To kill or be killed?!

"We have a winner for the category of MAD OP dept.: Genshikan 2 /w the GUNDAM parody OP."

Only if the Oscar of anime is present....... Orz
For now, let's enjoy the awesome OP.

Spoiler for Sasahara X Ogiue=:
stevency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 13:10   Link #51
Karnot
Banned

So, i guess no sekusu until the third installment, huh ?
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 14:04   Link #52
grunty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembr View Post
This is a bloody parody/reference show about otakus.
Oh wow, sorry I've not seen any flying in space in the first season or OVA... only some cosplay... Referrences there were in-your-face chatter, not some fantasies.

But it's K if you love this, I can just skip it.
grunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 21:10   Link #53
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I have to say, I like the new OP.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 21:47   Link #54
The Avatar
The Avatar of Death

I find the new OP amusing but I'd rather it have been a new manzo song.
The Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 22:04   Link #55
Major1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunty View Post
Oh wow, sorry I've not seen any flying in space in the first season or OVA... only some cosplay... Referrences there were in-your-face chatter, not some fantasies.

But it's K if you love this, I can just skip it.
To be fair, while the new OP is much more overt in its parody than most things that Genshiken has done before, the OP from the OVAs is a shot for shot remake of the OP for Kujibiki Unbalance TV series, which in itself is a homage and parody of anime convention and cliches.

As for the actual Genshiken episode, I liked it. The big draw of the series has always been the interplay between the characters, and I liked how things played out in the episode. By this point, it's clear that Saki has something of a soft spot for the club, even if she only appears to put up with it for her boyfriend's sake. It's also pretty obvious that Ogiue is much more of an otaku than she's willing to admit to the others, and I dig how Saki is always teasing her about something.

I wonder what's up with Ohno and Tanaka though - it's clear that she's jealous about the other costumes he's making, but I imagine this gets played out down the line.
Major1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 22:38   Link #56
The Avatar
The Avatar of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major1138 View Post
To be fair, while the new OP is much more overt in its parody than most things that Genshiken has done before, the OP from the OVAs is a shot for shot remake of the OP for Kujibiki Unbalance TV series, which in itself is a homage and parody of anime convention and cliches.
I didn't even know that was a parody cuz I never watched Kujibiki Unbalance. I just compared the two it's very amusing.
The Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-17, 23:55   Link #57
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
sounded like sarcasm ^^
Hahaha, well honestly, I was quite surprised by how far they took it. Practically the whole song was fantasy, a few seconds reality, then back to fantasy.

At least the OVA op was realistic, pretty much.

Well, a good opening. Just... strange... Doesn't exactly set the mood for a show like Genshiken...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 03:15   Link #58
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
Well, a good opening. Just... strange... Doesn't exactly set the mood for a show like Genshiken...
Thats exactly it. It makes a stark contrast with 1st series OP. Though maybe thats what they wanted, contrast...

It also reminded me of that yonkoma where Sasahara looks at Madarame and wonders how is he supposed to &%*@ him.
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 03:26   Link #59
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

Every otaku over the age of 35 in japan dreams of being a gundam pilot. This is not far-fetched.

you people are making too big a deal over this. naked women running around is only one piece of the genshiken puzzle. anyway, there is plenty, if not too much, lingerie action in this episode.

if all you expect is hentai doujins floating around, then you really dont seem to get what 'genshiken' is really about.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-18, 05:41   Link #60
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
This'll provably be the last time we see animated Genshiken, so they might as well have some fun with it. Like it's been said --- Gundam is easily the most known franchise for Otaku, so it's perfect.

Regarding the second episode --- i like how they have Ohno PVC's in the club room. Also
Spoiler for Episode 3/future story:

Tags
arms, comedy, romance, seinen, slice of life