AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 13 14.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 36.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 24.44%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 16.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.11%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-12, 12:50   Link #21
ookamigirl

Ledo was so funny with his inability to use money.
Their festival was anything but typical.
Looks like he finally managed to make himself useful.
Latest episodes are more everyday stuff, nice and relaxing.
Wonder if we'll get to see some real action and fighting soon.

My Blog --> ookami
Old 2013-05-12, 12:52   Link #22
hai_san

ha and ppl were saying last ep was too much fanservice... this ep half of the time we are seeing the girls doing table dance... and the bomb comes at the end... with "Hideauze" mutant octopus?
Old 2013-05-12, 13:00   Link #23
Mangaka-chan

Bellows mentioned that there's something called a whalesquid, so that might be what Ledo and Chambers are thinking is a Hideaze. As to if this bioluminescent squid looking inch creature has any direct connection to the aliens Ledo was fighting is uncertain at the moment. For all we know it might be a red herring.

As for the episode itself, while I normally don't care for fan service, Amy's belling dance was animated very well. But for a festival I was disappointed they didn't show Ledo and Amy winning/buying the little crab toy and candies that they got. I thought that would've been fun to see, and i was kind of confused when they cut directly from the belly dancing/restaurant scene to after the festival. I'm also not sure what is the purpose of the scene where Ledo detects a threat while he was with Amy and grabs her to protect her. Is that suppose to reinforce that he's still very much in a soldier mind set or is it suppose to help reinforce the Ledo/Amy pairing?
Old 2013-05-12, 13:05   Link #24
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan View Post
I'm also not sure what is the purpose of the scene where Ledo detects a threat while he was with Amy and grabs her to protect her. Is that suppose to reinforce that he's still very much in a soldier mind set or is it suppose to help reinforce the Ledo/Amy pairing?
IMO, I think that scene is a bit strange. Ledo has seen that phenomenon before in ep.2. Why would he still think it is a sign something danger??
Old 2013-05-12, 13:06   Link #25
ApathyEcstasy

I suspect that it may be the evolutionary ancestor of Hideauze.
Old 2013-05-12, 13:06   Link #26
Midonin
Last Engage

Gargantia 06 - It Reminds Me of an Old Joke

I really enjoyed the dance sequence. I was encouraged to. It's the kind of thing that would encourage a lot of fan art, and I see that as nothing but a good thing. A lot of fan art means a healthy and active fan community. If the series continues to have more episodes like this, I'll be just fine with it. As I said, Gargantia never really struck me as a mecha series, and episodes like this only further reinforce that. I get that Ledo's skills would inevitably be in something robot related, but I'd imagine it's like trying to use a very old version of Windows after getting used to an iPod.

And the start of the episode made me think of this classic exchange.

"Aww, $20? I wanted a peanut!"
"$20 can buy many peanuts."
"Explain how."
"Money can be exchanged for goods and services."
"WOOHOO!"
Old 2013-05-12, 13:07   Link #27
EroKing

10/10 for some quality hip shaking
Old 2013-05-12, 13:09   Link #28
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Quote:
That said, have you actually watched From Russia with Love?
I've seen all the Bond movies. Come to think of it I was thinking of The Man With The Golden Gun since a belly dancer hid a bullet by disguising it as a belly ring.

I'm also not looking forward to this episode since it sounds like fan service junk like the last episode, but the squid is tempting so it isn't like I can say no.
Old 2013-05-12, 13:22   Link #29
CJ_Walker

All I gotta say about this ep is : HOLY SHIT I WAS RIGHT!

I mentioned in a previous episode that the swirling galaxy things were made by humans of the past! (of course people here said I was wrong) but chamber said it in the first 5minutes of the ep!

#Vindicated

edit: and yes there was fanservice. but well #whatcanyoudo?

Japan has to sell its shows somehow.
Old 2013-05-12, 13:27   Link #30
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So I'm guessing Yamauchi directed this episode or something what with all those close ups?

And i honestly couldn't give a rat's ass about Ledo's past. He is one freaking lucky guy...
Old 2013-05-12, 13:27   Link #31
Dop
Mmmm....

I suspect the creature at the end is an aforementioned 'Whalesquid' (if you weren't so distracted by the dancing you missed that bit), but I also suspect that the Hideauze may be descendants of sea life taken into space by early settlers, and that they and the whalesquid are genetically similar enough to trigger Chamber's detector.

Also I thought Ledo's reaction to the octopus did have an element of PTSD about it.
Old 2013-05-12, 13:29   Link #32
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Much better than last week, I think. The fanservice was, umm, nicely erotic, but in a way that you didn't feel like you needed a shower afterwards. And we're starting to get back into unlocking some of the mysteries of this world.

It was also very sweet how Ledo's possible attraction to Amy was awakening. (Though, heh, if they do get paired up in this show, I hope his attraction to her is more than just physical.) And I would like to see some internal monologue on her thoughts too.

And of course, there was the big reveal at the end, so now I absolutely can't wait for next week.
Old 2013-05-12, 13:45   Link #33
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
And there wasn't a roomful of cheering guys.
Including one who appeared to be doing pelvic thrusts with an erect penis.

OK, I'm going to mention this just once. I have not liked Amy's character model from the beginning. She and Ledo are supposed to both be sixteen, but he looks 24, and she looks 12. Her behavior and speech often seem a bit juvenile as well. As for Ledo, though he looks much older than 16, his virginity and (dissolving) asexuality also place convenient limits on his maturity.

So I find scenes where three supposedly sixteen-year-old girls dance provocatively in front of a bunch of inebriated older men disturbing. Drawing the girls to look young for their ages makes it even worse. I figured that after the bikini episode we would leave the fanservice behind and return to the main story this week. I was disappointed to say the least.

Whenever I see Ledo with Bellows, as in this episode, they always seem a more likely pairing than Ledo and Amy. Bellows also seems attracted to Ledo despite their supposed difference in ages. I don't think it's simply harem-building; Amy is the obvious love interest. However I do think Bellows's interest in Ledo includes more than just becoming salvage partners.
Old 2013-05-12, 13:48   Link #34
Kirarakim

This episode was much better than last week. I also actually didn't mind the fanservice as much (probably because it wasn't accompanied by girls discussing their body weight).

As far as animation, Amy's dance certainly beats the Magi one (although that's not saying much).

This episode also makes last week's swimsuit escapades even more pointless. Last week we had Ledo trying to find work unsuccessfully and this week he is able to get a job fishing and then get recruited to salvaging. Well if life's problems could only be solved that easily.

So yeah the series did practically nothing meaningful with Ledo trying to get a job. Don't get me wrong I actually enjoyed seeing the Gargantians at work and Ledo and Chamber's failed attempt to fish with their war experience (the episode also showed that Ledo and Chamber work much better as a pair) but I still feel the series could have done so much more with this theme of Ledo trying to find a place in this world and it just feels like a missed opportunity.

As for the squid being Hideauze, well looking at the preview I highly doubt it. However I am game with the theory that the aliens might have evolved from the squid.

Quote:
Japan has to sell its shows somehow.
Pretty sad state of affairs that a well written show can't you know sell itself.

Quote:
Bellows's interest in Ledo includes more than just becoming salvage partners.
Personally I see far more chemistry with Bellows and Pinion.

Bellows seems like an older sister to Ledo. I don't really see anything else in their relationship.
Old 2013-05-12, 13:57   Link #35
Crazy'O

Great episode, this show has so much potential and room to grow, I can't wait for the next episode.

Also, all the talk about fanservice. For me it's a reason I picked up anime 14 years ago, I really do not understand how anyone can be surprised anymore by it unless you started watching anime recently.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:11   Link #36
kukuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Including one who appeared to be doing pelvic thrusts with an erect penis.

OK, I'm going to mention this just once. I have not liked Amy's character model from the beginning. She and Ledo are supposed to both be sixteen, but he looks 24, and she looks 12. Her behavior and speech often seem a bit juvenile as well. As for Ledo, though he looks much older than 16, his virginity and (dissolving) asexuality also place convenient limits on his maturity.

So I find scenes where three supposedly sixteen-year-old girls dance provocatively in front of a bunch of inebriated older men disturbing. Drawing the girls to look young for their ages makes it even worse. I figured that after the bikini episode we would leave the fanservice behind and return to the main story this week. I was disappointed to say the least.
Learn history if anything what you're saying right now is a the definition of being abnormal.

Just because our society is overly prudish due to our puratan background and skewed conservative propaganda doesn't make a cultural relic any less effective because its fan service.

Amiration and propogation of youth, beauty and vaitality, is very common and natural in human culture. The dancing of beautiful scanty clad young girls in a tavern/festival of gruff sweaty men is the cliche definition of a cultural symbol around the world, especially in mining towns(which is what this story closely tries to draw parallels from).

12-18 is probably overly accurate age in any culture. That is the age when they are no longer kids but not marriable by most standards. Thus the epitome of youth and valtaility. It is only in the last 50 years when we actually shifted past 20 for that stuff which you now deemed normal.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:11   Link #37
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy'O View Post
Also, all the talk about fanservice. For me it's a reason I picked up anime 14 years ago, I really do not understand how anyone can be surprised anymore by it unless you started watching anime recently.
No one is surprised by fan service. But there is plenty of anime without it (in the past and today). And while the girls costumes have always been revealing the fanservice started to get amped up with episode 3 and the introduction of the pirate queen.

Is fanservice the worst thing ever, well no. But no I don't see why it is needed.

To me it seems like the message is we have this great story, great setting, great characters but we know you guys aren't going to buy it unless we include some T&A. That is certainly the message it sends.

Quote:
Just because our society is overly prudish due to our puratan background and skewed conservative propaganda doesn't make a cultural relic any less effective because its fan service.
Oh please, don't give me that prude argument.

Japanese Culture does not=Otaku Culture either.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:13   Link #38
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

You know it's been proven that Octopus are damn smart. Anyhow, it could be a solo alien that accidentally fell over there as well with Chamber.

Of course Chamber/Gundam can operate underwater. How the hell can it operate in space if it's not sealed shut and airtight?
Old 2013-05-12, 14:14   Link #39
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

99.7% probability.. Implying .3% they're wrong.

Although, tbh... I kinda wish it is the Hideauze.. this series is dragging out way too long.
Old 2013-05-12, 14:18   Link #40
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
No one is surprised by fan service. But there is plenty of anime without it (in the past and today). And while the girls costumes have always been revealing the fanservice started to get amped up with episode 3 and the introduction of the pirate queen.

Is fanservice the worst thing ever, well no. But no I don't see why it is needed.

To me it seems like the message is we have this great story, great setting, great characters but we know you guys aren't going to buy it unless we include some T&A. That is certainly the message it sends.

Oh please, don't give me that prude argument.

Japanese Culture does not=Otaku Culture either.

As for the culture festival, it's not really a BIG DEAL if you consider the environment they live in. Those girls/women/people are scantily clad at all times. They must be used to seeing it by now. Jeeze, don't bring your own cultural perception and "criticizing" the show if haven't looked and considered the whole picture.