AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2009-07-02, 23:40   Link #541
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Oh who cares, its just numbers.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 23:47   Link #542
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Really? Not sure how to take that.

After all, during his first training session before his birthday, it was stated by one of the bunnies that he was 17 and damn cute. His birthday occurred well over 5 episodes later.

As for Sheryl's age, I remember seeing it in an article that she may be older than 17.

- Tak
Yeah...I remember the line from...(who was it? Mina?). Anyway, I'm just going by the book. Weird.

Sheryl, though...on closer inspection, yeah, she may be older. It says that her publicly announced (公称) age is 17.

Pfft. She's probably 25, and THAT'S why she seems so much more mature than everyone else...
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 00:02   Link #543
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Sheryl, though...on closer inspection, yeah, she may be older. It says that her publicly announced (公称) age is 17.
More like self proclaimed (according to scan below), which is sensible, since it is possible that even she doesn't know how old she is.

Spoiler for Big:

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-07-03, 00:07   Link #544
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
More like self proclaimed (according to scan below), which is sensible, since it is possible that even she doesn't know how old she is.

Spoiler for Big:

- Tak
Y'know, for someone who's main selling point is that she's "all natural," wouldn't being coy about her age be kind of a no-no...?
Old 2009-07-03, 00:14   Link #545
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Y'know, for someone who's main selling point is that she's "all natural," wouldn't being coy about her age be kind of a no-no...?
Well, for a person who doesn't even know her own date of birth, you can't exactly keep track...

- Tak

Old 2009-07-03, 00:37   Link #546
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Well, for a person who doesn't even know her own date of birth, you can't exactly keep track...

- Tak
Mm, yes, there is that nagging little fact, isn't there?
Old 2009-07-03, 10:36   Link #547
LC
Shocking Pink

When are Sheryl's and Ranka's b-days? (Alto's is July 27, right?)
Old 2009-07-03, 14:25   Link #548
stray
Classic Yandere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Haze View Post
When are Sheryl's and Ranka's b-days? (Alto's is July 27, right?)
Ranka's is April 29, Sheryl's November 23.

Also, I'd be perfectly okay with Sheryl being 25...
Old 2009-07-07, 01:11   Link #549
Oppius
Banned

What are "protoculture" and "deculture"?

Since Macross Frontier is the first and only Macross series I ever seen so far, don't laugh at me for not knowing these things.
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-07, 01:23   Link #550
Tak

Questions are welcome

Protoculture refers to an ancient sentiment race in the known galaxy that preceded mankind and other races such as the Zentradi. Many of Protoculture's legacies included the formation of the first galactic republic as well as the creation of the Zentradi race.

Deculture can mean a couple things, usually an exclamation for something that is awesome or dreaded.

- Tak

Old 2009-07-10, 03:05   Link #551
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Questions are welcome

Protoculture refers to an ancient sentiment race in the known galaxy that preceded mankind and other races such as the Zentradi. Many of Protoculture's legacies included the formation of the first galactic republic as well as the creation of the Zentradi race.

Deculture can mean a couple things, usually an exclamation for something that is awesome or dreaded.

- Tak
Thanks mate, I just watched Frontier and I was having the same thoughts as Amex.

EDIT: Disregard my questions; I'm an idiot, I should have read the FAQ first...

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 03:13   Link #552
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Thanks mate, I just watched Frontier and I was having the same thoughts as Amex.

Now a couple of questions from me. I just brought the Robotech collection and a mate of mine told me even though it contains the first Macross anime it's not the same, is this true or am I missing something?

I understand Robotech was built around several different animes being mashed together but how do we take the story? As a prequel to Frontier or a completely different series?
Robotech is three different, unconnected animes mashed together with a lot of story points (Protoculture is a fuel in Robotech, rather than a species) and character traits (Minmay becomes UNCONSCIONABLY annoying in Robotech) changed. It uses Macross's animation, but it is not the same show at all. And, as such, it CAN'T be a prequel to Frontier.

AnimEigo has a very good set of the first Macross series that you can buy from the Robotech.com store. That's a much better investment of your time and money.
Old 2009-07-10, 03:14   Link #553
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Thanks for the reply Yot-Chain.

Old 2009-07-25, 03:37   Link #554
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

So I just finished SDF-1 and it blew me away. Loved it to bits; moreso than Frontier because at least Hikaru decided on a sheila to be with rather than telling them they're both his wings...

Well now I'm craving more; is there any other series' or OVAs that cover Hikaru, Hayase and Minmay?

Old 2009-07-25, 07:12   Link #555
4Tran

Quote:
So I just finished SDF-1 and it blew me away. Loved it to bits; moreso than Frontier because at least Hikaru decided on a sheila to be with rather than telling them they're both his wings...

Well now I'm craving more; is there any other series' or OVAs that cover Hikaru, Hayase and Minmay?
You can try out the Do You Remember Love? - it's an alternate retelling of SDF Macross compressed into movie form, and it's generally held in very high regard. Other than that, the only other story with them in it would be Flashback 2012, which is a set of music videos combined into a single OVA. There's basically no real dialogue in it, but it's still worth checking out since it doesn't really need subtitles, it gives a sense of closure to that segment of the story, and it's totally awesome if you like the SDF Macross music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Which is why I am so anxious about Robotech getting adapted into a movie. Itīll make a Macross movie impossible, since itīs basically the same story, and henceforth any movie adaption of Macross would have to wait at least a decade or two to be made.
A live-action Macross movie was probably always impossible to begin with: the biggest sticking point being that Kawamori doesn't seem to have the slightest interest in that sort of thing, and the history of anime to live-action adaptations hasn't been exactly great to begin with. While I'm not really a Robotech fan, I do hope that the movie does get made - it might be the one impetus to get the rights fiasco sorted once and for all.

In this, the re-emergence of the old Macross/Dougram designs to Battletech gives me some hope that the mess can finally get sorted out one of these days. And really, without something like that, it'd be pretty much impossible for the modern and future [o]ravings from Kawamori's mind[/o] Macross works to ever make their way overseas.

Quote:
I really hope Studio Nue puts their foot down and insists on the story being along the lines of Macross, not Robotech.
There's no way they can do that. We don't know what the Robotech movie is going to entail - it might be based on Mospeada or something like that.
Old 2009-07-25, 16:18   Link #556
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

I'd rather a movie/OVA that answers what happened to SDF-2...

Oh Misa, Kiharu, where art thou?

Old 2009-07-27, 21:53   Link #557
4Tran

Quote:
I'd rather a movie/OVA that answers what happened to SDF-2...

Oh Misa, Kiharu, where art thou?
Go watch Flashback 2012 (although you should do so after watching Do You Remember Love?) - it tells us what happens with characters just as they take off aboard SDF-2. No anime has ever explored what happened next, and with the death of Hase Arihiro, Hikaru's voice actor, there's very unlikely to be any continuation of that storyline. Kawamori is on the record saying that this is a topic that he plans to leave unexplored; and given his closeness to Hase, I'm very inclined to believe him. And given that Macross is whatever Kawamori says it is, that's the way it'll be for at least a couple of decades.

Note: I've moved the posts regarding Robotech to the Macross / Robotech connection thread. It seems like a good place to discuss the Robotech movie as well.
Old 2009-07-28, 08:06   Link #558
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
With the death of Hase Arihiro, Hikaru's voice actor, there's very unlikely to be any continuation of that storyline.
Ah man that's a kick in the teeth. I really liked his voice.

Thanks for the info 4Tran.

Just watched Do You Remember Love and Flashback; quite enjoyed them both. Was quite surprised by the graphic nature of Do You Remember Love but then again it is a movie not a prime time slot series.

When Max engaged with the Zentradi warrior outside his pod in space and shoved the gunpod in his face... Brutal.

Old 2009-07-28, 12:45   Link #559
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Side question,

wouldn't Tohru Furuya be a fair Ichijyo?

Or are my ears/memory totally rotten?! LOL
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-28, 21:21   Link #560
Foreshadow
Nyaa~

Just watched Macross Plus, and I enjoyed it. Anyway on to the question are there any more triangles in Macross that have one girl and two guys? I'm still going to check out all of them but i want to watch a girl get to choose first
Foreshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
q&a