AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2020-01-13, 21:29   Link #101
Toukairin
Banned

Not nominated for the Academy Awards again.

Seriously, I'm really disappointed not only for Weathering With You alone, but also for Japanese animation as a whole. I think the industry needs to make more aggressive moves in order to have more entries at the top film festivals (Berlin, Cannes, Golden Globes, Academy Awards). When 2 of the 5 nominees for Best Animated Feature Film are European-made, some serious thinking has to be made on how to increase the sales pitch.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-13, 23:14   Link #102
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
Not nominated for the Academy Awards again.

Seriously, I'm really disappointed not only for Weathering With You alone, but also for Japanese animation as a whole. I think the industry needs to make more aggressive moves in order to have more entries at the top film festivals (Berlin, Cannes, Golden Globes, Academy Awards). When 2 of the 5 nominees for Best Animated Feature Film are European-made, some serious thinking has to be made on how to increase the sales pitch.

From what I can see from the trailers.....

It's prob more than the sales pitch. Klaus brought something new to the table apparently. Weathering With You doesn't do anything "new". The voters could prob immerse themselves more with Klaus, then Weathering With You. I doubt that the Japanese producers and distributors could beat Netflix in the battle to get their films noticed by the Academy.
Old 2020-01-14, 19:00   Link #103
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I doubt that the Japanese producers and distributors could beat Netflix in the battle to get their films noticed by the Academy.
Then why would Japanese producers and distributors not sign the deal with Netflix for that purpose? If the current North American distributors keep on failing at their job of aiming high with the Academy, then I see no reason for sticking with them instead of striking gold with Netflix. Besides, Netflix has been working very hard in the last year to expand the reach of anime to external markets, especially for the purpose of competing straight against the likes of Disney+ and Apple.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2020-01-14 at 19:14.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-15, 03:02   Link #104
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Something to keep in mind is Japan's conservatism across the board. Anime is no exception. Studio Ghibli just put its own titles up on streaming services, and all the "Netflix original" anime is actually just the American distribution of anime. Think of Netflix as being like Funimation but for streaming in the eyes of the Japanese.

The Japanese would much rather keep with physical mediums like DVDs, BR and CDs for distribution. And as everyone keeps forgetting... sure, it's popular in the West, but with a handful of exceptions every year, the majority of anime is aimed at the Japanese audience, who still seem to prefer the physical medium. The fact that it happens to be popular in the West is just a bonus side effect.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-15, 12:03   Link #105
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Honestly, I too prefer to have physical copies. Just a little more reliable (my net doesn't go down often but it has gone down before).

But that said, I thought I heard that Takagi was on Netflix in Japan from the start, so maybe things are starting to change.

EDIT: Finally got to watch it and it did not disappoint. A great movie all the way through. I was surprised by the interview at the end though. Sounds like Shinkai thought Hodaka saying he'd prefer Hina over clear skies in Tokyo would be met with scorn or hate. Seems like that's the expected answer wherever you go.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2020-01-15 at 23:42.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-20, 01:07   Link #106
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

After missing watching it on the Toronto International Film Festival because I was out of the country when the tickets went on sale, I finally got to see the movie a couple days ago. And what can I say? I actually liked this better than Your Name. I dunno guys, three years after the fact and I can still remember what happened in The Silent Voice and know how everyone looked, but in here I only knew they have shown the MC cameos when everybody else made audible sounds upon their appearance. I can't even say what happened in Your Name apart from body switching, time travel and destiny... so yeah, what I thought was great movie turned out to be totally forgettable, so keep my bias in mind while I try to explain why I love Tenki no Ko.

Spoiler for plot details:

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)

Last edited by LKK; 2020-01-20 at 10:47. Reason: added spoiler tag
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-20, 03:32   Link #107
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Personally I found the ending of Kimi no Na Wa much better than Tenki's. Why? Because it's central theme is that connections between people can do highly significant things. It's primarily an ode to what human potential can accomplish. Tenki has that also but it isn't as central a theme as compared to Kimi no Na. Its message is more like we bumbling humans may stumble down the road but we'll get by somehow as we have done to this point. Kimi no Na speaks more about the "how" of that point.
Old 2020-01-20, 18:03   Link #108
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

I just came back for seeing it and I loved it 8.5/10 for me. I still love Kimi no na wa more.
Old 2020-01-21, 14:57   Link #109
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
After missing watching it on the Toronto International Film Festival because I was out of the country when the tickets went on sale, I finally got to see the movie a couple days ago. And what can I say? I actually liked this better than Your Name. I dunno guys, three years after the fact and I can still remember what happened in The Silent Voice and know how everyone looked, but in here I only knew they have shown the MC cameos when everybody else made audible sounds upon their appearance. I can't even say what happened in Your Name apart from body switching, time travel and destiny... so yeah, what I thought was great movie turned out to be totally forgettable, so keep my bias in mind while I try to explain why I love Tenki no Ko.

Spoiler for plot details:
I'm not sure I'd interpret things quite the same way. Particularly looking at Hina as "what mankind wants". Hina's a human being herself after all, not just some measure of goods or luxuries or even common needs that require destruction in order to continue gaining. Rather she herself is being encouraged to finally act in her own interest as "saving the world" meant losing her own life.

Besides, Shinkai's position on the whole climate change thing in this movie is a bit too ambivalent for such a point of view. Just look at the derision the priest had when the present weather was being called "unnatural" and "extreme", or the way that at the end the lady noted that for all the talk of Tokyo being "catastrophically sunken", really the entire area now under water had been part of the bay until humans came along a few centuries ago, saying it was really just things going back to the way they had been. True, at the same time its continuation is connected to both Hina and Hodaka's choice, but again that choice was to live and not give up on one another, a choice that at the end Hodaka expressed apparent pride in as he realized he didn't want to come to Hina with lines about how "it'll be OK" or "it's not your fault".
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-27, 18:25   Link #110
Sakuratsuki

Just came back from the screening, I really loved it. 9 out of 10 for me. And that cameo in the movie the crowd went wild .
Old 2020-01-27, 18:56   Link #111
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuratsuki View Post
Just came back from the screening, I really loved it. 9 out of 10 for me. And that cameo in the movie the crowd went wild .
There are actually more cameo beside those two but you need to have quick eyes
Old 2020-01-28, 06:47   Link #112
Sakuratsuki

Another reason to rewatch it then , it was after work and quite late. I must have missed quite some things then.

Spoiler for Movie:

Last edited by Sakuratsuki; 2020-02-08 at 06:15.
Sakuratsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-27, 10:28   Link #113
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

The BDs are here now, and I've finally had the chance to watch this film for myself. I'll review it properly once I've had a chance to go back through the film again and catch all of the little details.

Spoiler for Film elements:
Old 2020-05-27, 17:16   Link #114
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post

Spoiler for spoiler:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-27, 17:55   Link #115
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler for Characters:

I could be wrong, of course.
Old 2020-05-27, 19:16   Link #116
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
The BDs are here now, and I've finally had the chance to watch this film for myself. I'll review it properly once I've had a chance to go back through the film again and catch all of the little details.

Spoiler for At 35.11:

Spoiler for At 1.52.13:

They are all in their post time-skipped form. Like those two.
Old 2020-05-28, 06:04   Link #117
AHT

Top - Theater Version
Bottom - DVD/Blu Ray Version
https://twitter.com/shinkaimakoto/st...91324788256768
AHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-29, 18:14   Link #118
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

If memory serves, I think Shinkai said that they showed a slightly incomplete version in the theatre where several cloud layers were missing from the frames, and then was joking that makes the theatre version special
Old 2020-05-30, 08:52   Link #119
VTHokiePride

Forgive my ignorance, is it that big of deal that clouds didn't show up in that climactic scene? Having cloud cover vs no cloud cover doesn't diminish how powerful that scene is in my eyes. Are fans complaining?
Old 2020-05-30, 09:21   Link #120
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Shinkai was poking fun at a small oversight they made in his Tweet. I don’t think the fans are particularly worried!