AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2009-07-07, 14:33   Link #1
treemu

About Staxrip

I'm pretty much a newb in fansubbing, so everyone suggested I should use Staxrip. The problem is they moved some time ago to a new site, but the program still wants updates from the old site. I tried downloading the required applications manually, but Staxrip refuses to recognize them... No matter what I do.

So I decided to take the easy way and harass the good people here in to probably sending me a complete package of the apps, or maybe even the full program itself... And maybe give me a few pointers on how to use it.

My project isn't actually big, just subbing all of YGOTAS into my native language (Finnish).

Answers of all kinds are welcome.
treemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 00:32   Link #2
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]
Yu-gi-oh: The Abridge Series... eh.. This is a youtube video. For one you need a youtube ripper. I suggest the Download Helper plugin for Firefox. Then load that video (It should be a mp4) into Aegisub then sub it from there. You shouldn't need staxrip at all. That is for ripping dvds.
Old 2009-07-09, 05:16   Link #3
jfs
Aegisub dev

If you're going to subtitle Youtube videos, consider making YT subtitles. (You can upload SRT files and have them softsubbed. Ask the original uploader of the video if you can get your subs attached to the original video.)

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 12:12   Link #4
npcomplete

^ wow really? Does it convert them into Youtube's CC format or create a hardsub when transcoding?

edit: nevermind; I guess by softsub you really mean streamed softsubbed?
npcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 14:25   Link #5
jfs
Aegisub dev

Yes toggleable subtitles, you can add multiple subtitle streams to a single video. I know there's subs of the new FMA series on Youtube that use the softsub ability to subtitle it in a slew of languages.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-09, 16:26   Link #6
treemu

I do use AegiSub for the translation process and I have the 1st 10 episodes translated already and I already have all of the series downloaded on my HD.
My problem is that I have tried quite a slew of ways to effectively burn .ass subtitles on video, none of them succeeding in the way I wanted them to. Sometimes it messes up the timing, sometimes it doesn't burn some lines and, most of the time, the subtitles have turned into gibberish symbol language (could be because of the umlauts).
I was told that several other Finnish fansubbers use Staxrip, so that's why I'm on my knees in here.
There was this one time when I successfully burned the subs to the vid and got it to YouTube. It's THIS kind of result I'm looking for. I got it from several combination tries with MKVWizard and AllToAvi.

Softsubbing straight into the YouTube vid did cross my mind, however I decided to burn the subs to the vid, just to make the timing seem more fluid.

Anyone still want to help? Maybe, suggest a new software to use? I have tried Gordian Knot and AutoGK, but didn't understand one bit...
Old 2009-07-09, 21:22   Link #7
Noct

If you want to know how to hardsub your .ass file, there are a lot of informations about that here on this forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=36233 for example)

Basically, download VirtualDub and install avisynth as well.
Then use Notepad or another editor and write the following:

Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Path to Aegisub\Aegisub\csri\VSfilter.dll")
DirectShowSource("C:\Path to your video file\youtube.mp4")
TextSub("C:\Path to your script\script.ass")
Save the file as script.avs and load this file into VirtualDub.

Then go to Video -> Comperssion... and select a Codec you want to use.

(If you have CCCP installed i guess you'd want to use ffdshow/xvid)

Finally, select File -> Save as AVI... and you get a video with the subtitles hardsubbed.

As for umlaute (that's äöü. right?), i think you don't have to change any settings. If they're are messed up, try exporting the script from Aegisub and change the Text Encoding to unicode.

I hope this is what you wanted to know...
Noct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 00:43   Link #8
Kurre

Hi, treemu.

I can assure you that finnish fansubbers don't generally use Staxrip. Staxrip is sort of a noobfriendy encoding program that actually teaches people what they should be doing. Megui, avisynth scripting and Virtualdub are much more common but yes, Staxrip does the trick. You might want to read the finnish encodin manual again and perhaps make a workraw. Aegisub used to screw up the timings on B-frames(?) and vfrs but I'm not sure if it's still an issue.

There is a manual for adding the subtitles to your video. You should read it (again?) and try the Noct's way - which can also be found in the manual. For quick help please pop up at the irc. You know where to find me.

PS: I'm no encoder. Please be gentle.

Last edited by Kurre; 2009-07-10 at 00:56.
Kurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 09:10   Link #9
treemu

Wow... I have tried VirtualDub before, but to think it was this easy... I must've been reading the wrong manuals over and over. Thanks Noct!

And Kurre, now I think I got the hang of it.
Old 2009-07-10, 12:34   Link #10
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

If I were you I would never, ever use those guides as quite frankly they are absolute croc shit.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-10, 16:42   Link #11
Kurre

Thanks for he feedback. I'll try to update them as soon as I can. Oh, and fuck you too
Kurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 09:49   Link #12
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurre View Post
As for umlaute (that's äöü. right?), i think you don't have to change any settings. If they're are messed up, try exporting the script from Aegisub and change the Text Encoding to unicode.
aegisub saves as utf8 by default, if they're screwed up you are most likely using an ancient vsfilter without utf8 support
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote