AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-30, 23:41   Link #1
daeyeth

Spring New Anime Recommends?

Any recommendations on some of the new spring anime? By new, I mean anime that are on their first season premiere. The only fresh anime I've sunk my teeth into is Cross Game and I'm really digging it, it has a very nostalgic, old school feel.
Old 2009-05-31, 02:19   Link #2
blewin

care for some mecha-basketball? Basquash. It's a cyberpunk feel setting with a bunch of colourful and wonderful characters. What I like best, out of all the best bits of Basquash is the meticulous work on the camera angle. Every single episode is so refreshing and vibrant that you can't help but get swept off your feet into the characters' dreams and adventure.

another one I'd recommend is Chrome Shelled Regios. This anime is abound with mysteries. Something about humans living in artificial cities, faced with the dilemma of fighting each other for the city's lifeline and against the filth monsters that inhabit the polluted world.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-05-31, 03:06   Link #3
Proudleaf

Try Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~

It's about nine episodes in so far, and the series is really proving to be one of the most compelling, mature, and surprisingly thought-provoking offerings of the season. I'm really enjoying it at least.

If you haven't caught on to the hype already, a new show called Eden of the East has been catching a lot of attention lately. It's not exactly easy to summarize the plot, but it's a well written show with some very current issues as its themes, and it has a lot of interesting and dynamic characters.

And Sengoku Basara is just awesome because it's so ridiculously entertaining. Just make sure you don't take it too seriously.
Old 2009-05-31, 03:12   Link #4
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

If you're into old school, you'll love Shin Mazinger Z, unless you're not a mecha fan.

While Sengoku Basara is awesome and stuff, Mazinger Z has the real badassness award this season.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-05-31, 03:42   Link #5
jedinat

I'll second Eden of the East. The only other weekly episode release I have been looking forward to is for Ristorante Paradiso--a slice of life anime about sexy old men... I'm not particularly drawn to that, but it is a good anime nonetheless, lol.

I guess I will also mention Guin Saga, a somehow retro-feeling fantasy anime that is quite decent thus far.
Old 2009-05-31, 06:42   Link #6
Grif

will probably be torn appart by everyone here if i recommended K-ON!

On a more serious note, i third "eden of the east", and second "phantom" and "basquash" (dont turn it off after hearing the plot like i almost did)
Old 2009-05-31, 12:05   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Besides Cross Game, my top picks from a so-so season are Natsu no Arashi and Pandora Hearts. Natsu has the signature SHAFT visual style and an interesting mix of slapstick and serious drama, and Pandora is a very solid straight-ahead fantasy shonen series that's well-plotted and true to it's form. Eden is interesting in a sort of pathological way but very overrated IMO - it's emotionally false and none of the characters are very likable.

Other flawed but interesting entries would be 07 Ghost (slow but atmospheric) Basquash (overrated but inventive) and Sengoku Basara (preposterous but incredibly GAR 12 year-old boy's take on Japanese history).
Old 2009-05-31, 14:19   Link #8
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grif View Post
will probably be torn appart by everyone here if i recommended K-ON!
I completely forgot K-On! That's my third favorite this season, after Eden and Paradiso.
Old 2009-05-31, 15:42   Link #9
Vital Regions

Agreeing with Basquash! Also Pandora Hearts is really really good so far. Hatsukoi Limited is also great, and then K-ON! is one of my favorites, though it is a bit of a guilty pleasure.
Old 2009-05-31, 15:57   Link #10
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

K-ON! is good school comedy, but if you dislike/hate moe, it might not be the best show to watch.
Old 2009-05-31, 16:38   Link #11
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, I should have mentioned Hatsukoi Limited as flawed but interesting too - it's a good watch. Not as good as the manga but worth a shot.
Closed Thread