Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-10-21, 12:53   Link #361
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCman View Post
Just watched the subbed episode 3. This episode is quite well adapted from the manga, but the joke of "staring in Sawako's eyes" curse which results in diarrhea does not come over very well; this happened to Pin, the substitute teacher, who has a quite competitive spirit/atitude towards the original class teacher Zen who only can stare in Sawako's eyes in several seconds before having diahrrhea, while Pin can do that, well for 10 seconds and nothing happens; Pin brags about that, but nobody understand what and why he does that, but after awhile Pin also got diahrrea too; this is super funny in the manga. People who does not read the manga would not understand the joke at first or immediately, I think. Although I thought it was explained about Zen's fear of him staring in Sawako's eyes and its consequences in earlier episodes.

The passing of Kazehaya's class note by Sawako to Ryuu is super funny! Ha, Ha, "Mushi" (insect/bug)!!! and "it was hot today!"!!!, that is really funny of you, Kazehaya-kun. Sawako, that class note was meant for you, you silly! Sawako sometimes can be so dense and cute at the same time.

And someone is jealous, but the question is who. Everyone with sharp eyes should already know who, I think (i.e. by watching the anime without reading the manga).

I really look forward to the next episode!

Edit:

As for the anime ruining the manga, I don't think this is happening at all. The anime adaptation is very well done (apart from the "Pin staring in Sawako's eyes curse" joke; although it's still somewhat okay if you have read the manga or remember the clues that are in earlier episodes), everything fits, from the choices of voice-actors for every characters to background panorama/settings and background music, they are all very well chosen in my opinion. Noto Mamiko does a great job bringing the innocent and sometimes silly Sawako from the manga to the anime adaptation by her excellent voice-acting. As for the director who directs this anime series, is Kasai Kenichi. He has directed the anime of Nodame Cantabile, Honey & Clover, Aoi Hana, which are very good anime series (among the best you can almost say); this is not my own opinion alone, but also the opinions of many, many people.
It just occurred to me that people should not have to have read the manga to get the joke.

In other words, the show should stand on its own,

A Stand Alone Complex, if you will.

Manga references for the enjoyment of the anime is rather redundant.

How do animes that have no manga/light novels deliver their jokes ?

Just a thought.

Last edited by Zetsubo; 2009-10-21 at 13:19.
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 12:55   Link #362
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
It just occurred to me that people should not have to have read the manga to get the joke.

In other words, the show should stand on its own,

A Stand Alone Complex, if you will.

Manga references for the enjoyment of the anime is rather redundant.

How do animes that have no manga/light novels deliver their jokes ?

Just a thought.
It's because the anime missed out a little scene from the manga, which completely missed out the point of the joke.
Old 2009-10-21, 12:56   Link #363
Kunagisa

One thing, I love about the anime is the pacing. I hope the next "arc" resolves itself within an episode, I would hate to see that drag into 2 episodes.

[unwanted manga spoiler]

That was the height of the series for me. It feels like it goes downhill after that. At least it doesn't seem to drag on forever (I could see the manga ending soon). However, I do love Kazehaya's non-retarded actions (very honest, quick to see past misunderstandings, and quick to resolve them as well as you will see).

Last edited by monir; 2009-10-21 at 21:38.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 12:58   Link #364
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
One thing, I love about the anime is the pacing. I hope the next "arc" resolves itself within an episode, I would hate to see that drag into 2 episodes.
There's actually a lot of scenes to cover, so i'd rather see the conclusion (and the scene you added in spoiler tags) in episode five. There's no point in rushing this adaptation.
Old 2009-10-21, 13:23   Link #365
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's because the anime missed out a little scene from the manga, which completely missed out the point of the joke.
people who are anime alone don't care.

people who read ought to know this.
Old 2009-10-21, 13:29   Link #366
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
people who are anime alone don't care.

people who read ought to know this.
If anime only watchers don't get the joke because of a scene missing, then i'm sure they'll ask what that scene was.

Also i don't understand why you're taking this offensively, or seem to be doing.
Old 2009-10-21, 14:54   Link #367
aulzon

Watched. Well looks like things are starting to heat up. I didn't expect Kuronuma to just progress without a little adversity. It's a bit obvious (or is it? I didn't read so I don't know) who set up rumors to sabotage Kuronuma's efforts.

I got to wonder are Kazehaya and Kuronuma going to dance around each other for a while. Not that it's not entertaining to watch.
aulzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 15:06   Link #368
Kirarakim

At first I thought those two girls just made up Kuronuma's name on the spot. But now that people are mentioning adversary I think I know who it is. Well I won't mind some drama as long as it doesn't take away from the fluff.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 15:44   Link #369
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
If anime only watchers don't get the joke because of a scene missing, then i'm sure they'll ask what that scene was.

Also i don't understand why you're taking this offensively, or seem to be doing.
nope no offense.

just analyzing why typical anime fans say some of the things they do.

if they really want a true reflection of the manga... just because it is the first reflection.

yet... if they never read the manga to the anime before... would it (annoyance at missing scenes) be the same ?

I am one to question things.
Old 2009-10-21, 16:05   Link #370
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Yeah, what missing scene are we talking about? If we're talking about the staring contest I remember some of the classmates saying in the first episode that if you meet Sadoka's eyes for more than three seconds you'll be cursed. Was that the scene?
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 16:22   Link #371
Zetsubo
著述遮断

But then again, I am being the unwitting hypocrite. I just occurred to me that my appreciation of Bakemonogatari increased with each translation I was blessed with (thanks ickem/hei) from the light novel . I was rather eager to learn the whys and wherefores of each character and arc and if the anime remained as faithful as possible to it.

Ergo... I now understand and have the answer to both my questions.

1. Why fans get upset over manga/light novel adaptations to anime that are done poorly.

2. Why it is possible for some fans to feel an anime ruined (or at least disturbed) their pleasant memories.

Problem solved.
Old 2009-10-21, 17:03   Link #372
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
As for the director who directs this anime series, is Kasai Kenichi. He has directed the anime of Nodame Cantabile, Honey & Clover, Aoi Hana, which are very good anime series (among the best you can almost say); this is not my own opinion alone, but also the opinions of many, many people.
I think you're misinformed. Kasai Kenichi is currently working on Miracle Train, not this show. Kimi ni Todoke is being directed by Kaburaki Hiro.
Old 2009-10-21, 18:35   Link #373
TCman

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
I think you're misinformed. Kasai Kenichi is currently working on Miracle Train, not this show. Kimi ni Todoke is being directed by Kaburaki Hiro.
You are right, I seriously thought it was Kasai Kenichi who directs Kimi ni Todoke the anime. Thanks for the correction. Nonetheless the anime adaptation is still very well done.

As for the "staring in Sawako's eyes and diarreah curse" joke, what I mean is that the joke does not connect well enough. Shiroth's wording is much better than mine, Thanks, Shiroth!

What I do not mean is that the anime has to be exactly the same as the manga original. But if the anime creators choose to do that joke then they have to do it right. Without a kind of "reminder" you would not immediately understand why Pin starts to stare in Sawako's eyes, why Pin did what he did and why it start to beep. If you immediately understand the joke it would be hilarious, especially when the second part of this joke starts, when finally the diarreah kicks in; Pin desperately goes to the toilet.
TCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 19:21   Link #374
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
But if the anime creators choose to do that joke then they have to do it right. Without a kind of "reminder" you would not immediately understand why Pin starts to stare in Sawako's eyes, why Pin did what he did and why it start to beep. If you immediately understand the joke it would be hilarious, especially when the second part of this joke starts, when finally the diarreah kicks in; Pin desperately goes to the toilet.
I have never read the manga, but I instantly knew what he was doing when he stared in her eyes, from the references in previous episode. I can't vouch for everyone, but it seemed easy enough to understand for me.
Ansalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 19:34   Link #375
Change of Pace
Shameless Zoro Fangirl

Personally I'm really enjoying this adaption, even with the cuts, but that's probably mainly because I really abhor the shoujo artsyle and shoujo anime tend to streamline the art a lot more. ...Which makes it much more enjoyable for those of us who dislike the sparkles and stars and bubbles and all that stuff flying all over the place, like myself. Well, the anime does have its fair share of that, too, much to my chagrin, but it's of a much more tolerable level in the anime. ...Of course, my apologies to those who do like the shoujo style, but for a series like Kimi ni Todoke, which is very cute, centers around a very cute and budding relationship, and is rather heartwarming, I'm glad that I'm able to watch it without muttering to myself "ignore the artstyle, pretend you don't see it, etc." with every page. Heh, in that respect, shoujo series are the only ones which I prefer their anime over their manga, which is really strange for me, because in all other respects, I'm a staunch manga purist. But the artstyle really does get to me, so it's nice to see a more streamlined version of the series.

In terms of this past episode, I didn't think Pin's staring gag was too ambiguous, although I obviously also knew it from the manga. Still, it wasn't too obscure to be noticed, so I didn't think it was too much of a problem, even for the anime-only audience. The note-passing scene was done very well; that was one of the funnier scenes in the manga, so I'm glad they pulled it off well. Heh, "MUSHI!"; nice, Kazehaya. And she's finally appeared, the "french doll" who irritates me to no end and causes problems. I'm expecting this next arc to take two episodes, with the pacing they've been going at thus far. Also, I'm looking forward to seeing more Ryuu screentime in the future.
Change of Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 20:30   Link #376
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I personally try and keep my impressions of differenct media of the same piece of fiction different. This is because I know different media delivers the same story in different ways, and expecting a 1:1 adaptation would always result in failure. I try to treat them as if I have no knowledge of any source material, which to be fair is hard to do sometimes, but I find its way worth it to keep my enjoyment to the maximum.

Of course, can't say anything about such a thing about Kimi ni Todoke in the first place, since I don't read the manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
My favourite shoujo, except sawako improving right away(from being anti-social to not so much) seems to be too exaggerated, for an anti-social person to address the class openly like that seems to be too extreme of improvement.
Oh Sawako is not anti-social. In fact, she's the exact opposite of anti-social... she WANTS to socialize with her friends, its just her reputation precedes her. Her nickname (which even Yoshida and co uses) doesn't help either. So when she actually succeeds, she gets all happy and all. I certainly buy it.

Now if you want anti-social, look at Ryuu. He does not talk nor does he care that people talk to him. THAT is anti-social.

Dunno what that had anything to do with shipping though, which is all I was doing in the post you quoted... (YoshidaXRyuu FTW!!!!)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 20:47   Link #377
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

there's no way her friend actually believes that she started the rumor right... new challenger seems to be a bitch..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 20:52   Link #378
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Said friend has only been her friend for a few months at most (around the time of summer break?), so it's not unbelievable that their trust level ain't up to par yet.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 21:16   Link #379
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Lordy my heart skipped a beat her smile.

Dangerous gal that Sawako~

<3

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 21:38   Link #380
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Episode 3 was great. I still had a smile on my face the whole time as I watched it too. I kept wondering what that other girl was going to do and once you found out it was like "oh no she did not!" and the episode ended... where's episode 4!? lol.

All of those shoujo sparkles are going to start annoying me soon though.

Tags
production i.g, romance, shoujo