Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2004-03-26, 17:10   Link #1
ss_goku4
Perverted Teacher

Send a message via MSN to ss_goku4
Resolution is important

Hey, I had a question for all you photoshoppers out there. What is the best resolution to work with? I know the higher the smoother, but I guess it must depend on your computer specs as well, that is if it can take it. When I first started to color in photoshop, I drew lines at 72dpi. At the time I had 256 MB of RDRAM. So I went to higher setting of 150 and it got better looking. Then eventually I set it at 300. My lines looked good. I later upgraded my RAM to 768MB. Nowadays I do my work at 600 dpi, and I don't draw my lines in photoshop anymore. So, is 600 dpi a little too much? Or can I bring it down a little?
ss_goku4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 17:19   Link #2
Mundain
They call me stew

Send a message via AIM to Mundain
I do all my sketches in PS at 72, and I do all my coloring (if its scanned) at 300 dpi scan, the I do the lines, then I reduce the size of the image from its 1000x1000 size to something smaller, like 800x600 or 1024 by whatever. If I draw it all on the computer, I do it all at whatever my last PS setting was, cause I cant tell a difference in the rez, besides the line art part (and that is probably only because you have a larger canvas to work with :P)
Mundain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 17:25   Link #3
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
It depends what you wish to do with your art.

If you're gonna print it at really high quality you should have it at 300-400 dpi. My experience however, at least with coloring scanned art is, the bigger the better. Cuz when you reduce, it looks nicer and your mistakes are less obvious.

Though 600dpi does seem a bit large to me, but depends on your project I guess.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 18:21   Link #4
Kitsune-bi

Send a message via ICQ to Kitsune-bi
I usually use 300 dpi with a canvas around 1200x1600. Like vulkar said. You really only "need" to work that big if you're going to print. But it does look alot nicer when you work big and shrink down.
Kitsune-bi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 18:34   Link #5
Raxial
CG / Color

Send a message via AIM to Raxial
since I usually work with other people's work, it's usually smaller
I'm lucky if I can get anything above 72 dpi, but It's usually fine. I never notice a drop in quality when I resize, and I don't have any problems working with a comparatively small picture.
Raxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-26, 18:55   Link #6
Yama_Le_Rouge
I'm branded, I'm doomed

i usually work on 600dpi 5000x7000 scanned project. But i usually work the pic twice, in his big resolution and a last time when i reduce the pic.
Yama_Le_Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote