AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-04-26, 16:47   Link #321
chaos_animagic

Looks like it's near the end, the little buu appeared.

BTW, I just had a thought after almost 2 years of watching DBZ Kai... and recently watched YGO-remaster...

It feels like the originals are still a bit better, cause the remaster besides making it "HD" just basically cuts out the top and bottom parts of original video to turn them into Widescreen... which means some times it gets real weird when something gets cutted off when it isn't suppose to be in the original.

Spoiler for YGO's example:

Was gonna find examples for DBZ, but that would take a while longer to find same scenes, cause episode counts of original and remastered are different.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 18:02   Link #322
aakun4

Is the DB remastering really as cheap as that? I haven't seen Yugi's in action but I've seen caps and it indeed looks awful but DB looks way better to me. Both in action and caps. As if they actually do edit some (not all) cuts, and if they don't, then the original wasn't bad at all.

I started watching this a few weeks ago after seeing how much fun ppl were having live tweeting this in some matome sites, and I never fully watched the Boo saga so it's been a lot of fun so far.

The new ending with the Dragon Ball scenes is so nostalgic <3 and with this apparent announcement coming soon a lot of people are speculating it could be a remaster of DB (or GT, which wouldn't make much sense but eh) coming next so who knows. I know I would die for it at least ;a;
aakun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 21:12   Link #323
Chosen_Hero

So I've been watching DBZ abriged and I gotta say... it's glorious , why can't that be the real DBZ? I mean seriously the characters are 100 times better in that version especially Vegeta being even more of an asshole only funnier and Piccolo being basically Deadpool are just amazing.:heh

Best part about it all is that it keeps the seriousness of the original even with all the comedy in it and somehow you are never lost even with as much as they cut out, the voices are even better than the original english dub voices, again why isn't that the real DBZ?
Old 2015-04-26, 21:28   Link #324
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
Was gonna find examples for DBZ, but that would take a while longer to find same scenes, cause episode counts of original and remastered are different.
DB Kai is not that cheap. Every frame was readjusted to widescreen, Toei isn't simply changing the resolution and cutting stuff.
They even draw new backgrounds to fit the new screens accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakun4 View Post
and with this apparent announcement coming soon a lot of people are speculating it could be a remaster of DB (or GT, which wouldn't make much sense but eh) coming next so who knows. I know I would die for it at least ;a;
I didn't hear about that, what announcement?
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 22:08   Link #325
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
DB Kai is not that cheap. Every frame was readjusted to widescreen, Toei isn't simply changing the resolution and cutting stuff.
They even draw new backgrounds to fit the new screens accordingly.
No they don't. They just cut. This is why the Blu-ray release is in 4:3 despite the broadcast being 16:9, because they leave the cut off top/bottom in for the discs.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-26, 22:47   Link #326
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
No they don't. They just cut. This is why the Blu-ray release is in 4:3 despite the broadcast being 16:9, because they leave the cut off top/bottom in for the discs.
That's not accurate.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z_Kai

"A comparison with the original video side-by-side shows considerable cropping to achieve the 16:9 aspect ratio. However, it seems carefully done to avoid missing anything important. The original image is not stretched, just cut where it would be more appropriate, being a "tilt and scan" or "reverse pan and scan" of the original Dragon Ball Z footage. ."

For instance:
Spoiler:

See the new drawings? "Just cutting" would mean they're simply zooming in, which is not the case.
IIRC, it was Funimation that made a simple, poorly done cropping when they released a widescreen version. Just compare both and you'll understand the difference.

Btw, the Buu blu-rays are 16:9 now. That was just Toei being inconsistent as usual.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-27, 08:36   Link #327
GDB

The Buu Blu-rays don't count because they're even more half assed than Funimation's orange boxes or blue boxes. And that "additional drawing" isn't new, that's always been there. It just always got cut off, but it was in the original master. Note that even the quote you gave specifies that all they did was crop the original footage.
Old 2015-04-27, 09:04   Link #328
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
In the end the Buu version of Kai doesn't seem that changed. At least the version few arcs had a bit more editing and a few new (I think) songs tossed in for a couple moments. But all Buu has seemed to do is cut back on the legend of Saiyaman....which I can appreciate to be sure, but that seems to be about it.
Old 2015-04-27, 14:57   Link #329
aakun4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
I didn't hear about that, what announcement?
Here: http://db30th.com/ (The Tenshinhan panel)

Something to be announced on May 9th related to DB's 30th anniversary. But maybe it's just a new movie or a random game, who knows.
aakun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 16:56   Link #330
Chosen_Hero

Well Kid Buu has appeared let end begin and then we're off to Dragon Ball Super and the possibility of the new movies not being fully canon.
Old 2015-04-28, 16:59   Link #331
GDB

Toriyama isn't going to let them invalidate the movies being canon after writing them as being canon.
Old 2015-04-28, 18:23   Link #332
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Toriyama isn't going to let them invalidate the movies being canon after writing them as being canon.
Hey you never know, maybe some of the same elements from the movies will be in the anime while not having the movies be canon.

I mean in the anime they have more flexibility to better develop the characters (at least as well as DBZ develops it's characters) and theur powers, heck maybe even make some of the others at least a little bit relevant unlike in the movies where anyone not Goku and Vegeta were chumps.

At least in the anime they can look good before being turned into chumps and Goku and Vegeta steal the spotlight yet again.
Old 2015-04-28, 22:12   Link #333
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
In the end the Buu version of Kai doesn't seem that changed. At least the version few arcs had a bit more editing and a few new (I think) songs tossed in for a couple moments. But all Buu has seemed to do is cut back on the legend of Saiyaman....which I can appreciate to be sure, but that seems to be about it.
That's a little too harsh on Kai 2.0. The original run of the Buu Saga ran 91 episodes. Kai 2.0 is scheduled to run 60. So the fact that they can cut out 31 episodes and have fans still thinking Buu saga is too long is probably a testament to how bad Buu saga was stretched out in its original run.

Last edited by LuckyCat; 2015-04-28 at 22:24.
LuckyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-09, 14:53   Link #334
cuzsal
I watch too much Anime

Hey guys looking for a little help, Dragon Ball has been one of those shows i have seen a lil here and there, and it has been on my Will watch list for like 10 years lol. Now with the new show coming out gona watch it from the start just not sure what is Canon, I believe it was Dragon Ball GT that was filler and wont count to the story of the new show?

Was thinking of just Watching Dragon Ball then Dragon Ball Kai from my understanding those are Canon. also movies and ova's i guess. On Dragon Ball Kai The blu-rays that I have seen are 4:9 but i thought they cropped it and made it widescreen, the Dragon Ball Kai (2014) is Wide Screen.

Any help be nice just a lil confused
cuzsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-09, 16:41   Link #335
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzsal View Post
Hey guys looking for a little help, Dragon Ball has been one of those shows i have seen a lil here and there, and it has been on my Will watch list for like 10 years lol. Now with the new show coming out gona watch it from the start just not sure what is Canon, I believe it was Dragon Ball GT that was filler and wont count to the story of the new show?

Was thinking of just Watching Dragon Ball then Dragon Ball Kai from my understanding those are Canon. also movies and ova's i guess. On Dragon Ball Kai The blu-rays that I have seen are 4:9 but i thought they cropped it and made it widescreen, the Dragon Ball Kai (2014) is Wide Screen.

Any help be nice just a lil confused
Canon

Dragon Ball

Dragon Ball Z/Kai - watch Kai since it's the one without the fillers and looks a better than old footage.

Non-Canon

Dragon Ball GT - If you only care about canon continuity don't watch this, if you don't than watch it.

The movies - if you watch them don't try to fit them into the canon timeline since they don't make sense.

The last two gods movies I personally put them in limbo until I see the new series because you never know if Akira Toriyama changed his mind and decided to change the god saga canon.

Personally I divide the canon as:

Original canon - tv series, the one that matters.

Movie canon - alternate universe where the movies all happen.

GT canon - It's own universe entirely.
Old 2015-05-10, 04:03   Link #336
cuzsal
I watch too much Anime

Thank you Chosen Hero will watch Dragon Ball then Kai then the rest as extra at a later date.
cuzsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-10, 07:08   Link #337
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
The last two gods movies I personally put them in limbo until I see the new series because you never know if Akira Toriyama changed his mind and decided to change the god saga canon.
Battle of Gods and Resurrection F are canon. Aside from Toriyama's comments that he wrote them both as sequels to the manga, he's also given out various tidbits of information lately that wasn't brought up in the manga (some of it directly contradicting stuff he said in the manga but eh... the manga frequently contradicted itself as well. Consistency was never Toriyama's strong suit), including one bit about the "really strong, bad dude" who sealed the elder Kaioshin up in the sword being Beerus.

Also cuzsal, you should check out the two DBZ TV-specials (Bardock: The Father of Goku and History of Trunks... using the English titles because they're so much easier to remember) as well. The Bardock-special was entirely anime original, but Toriyama actually liked it so much that he later included a reference to it during the battle between Goku and Freeza. And the Trunks-special was based off a bonus-chapter Toriyama made and is one of the rare instances where I think the anime actually improved upon the manga. For the record, I'd recommend you watch these around the point where the battle with Freeza starts, and after the introduction of artificial humans #17 and #18 respectively.

Oh, and I don't know where you stand on the whole dub/sub-thing, but just to be clear here... The English dub of Dragon Ball is not terribly faithful to the original. I mean, their more recent work with Kai and Battle of Gods was done well, but for the original Dragon Ball, DBZ, GT, and the old movies and TV-specials... the writing tended to range from "slightly off" to "completely throwing the original characterization out the window and inventing their own". This was at its absolute worst in the Freeza-saga, but it's present throughout the entire series.
Oh and you also mentioned Kai's aspect ratio. So just to clear that up...
Dragon Ball Kai is mostly just a recut of Dragon Ball Z, using the same footage aside from the openings, endings and occasional shots where they had to make some adjustments for whatever reason. This recut was originally done in 4:3, but for its Japanese TV-broadcast it was cropped to 16:9. The home video release is in 4:3. This only applies for the first Kai, however, as the Boo-arc (or "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters", as it's known outside of Japan) was done in 16:9 from the get-go and also has no reanimated footage outside the openings and endings... Though mind you, everything I've heard about The Final Chapters to me indicates that it is worse than Z on damn near every possible level so I'd honestly recommend just watching Kai up to the end of the Cell-arc and switching back to Z for the rest. Sure the Z-version is 23 episodes longer but... actually that's pretty much the main problem with The Final Chapters for me. 23 episodes cut? Out of a 92-episode arc? Kai 1.0 pretty much cut the episode-number in half and I still thought it left in too much padding at points! (And yes, I know the Japanese version of The Final Chapters cut out another 9 episodes or so, but that was all at the very start of the series. During what was already the most heavily cut part of the story to begin with!)

Last edited by Vegard Aune; 2015-05-10 at 07:33.
Vegard Aune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-10, 14:25   Link #338
Chosen_Hero

Spoiler for Too long:

Like I said you never know if the anime changes the canon so until I see what happens for me personally the canon ends at Buu saga, wouldn't be the first time something changes halfway.
Old 2015-06-17, 02:40   Link #339
Chosen_Hero

While watching episode 58:

After Vegeta asks them to raise their hands.

Random faceless mob character: "Don't trust it, it's the devil trying to trick you"

People don't even give a crap and go about their business.

Guy actually named Mr. Satan tells them to do it and they begin to lose their shit and do it without a second thought.

Me: Dafuq?

Never really liked his japanese name (for many reasons), always preffered his western name of Hercule.

Well, at least it's ending and soon we'll be able to see DB Super.
Old 2015-06-17, 03:06   Link #340
Mubyoshi

it's supposed to be kai and it still took a bajillion episodes to shoot that damn spirit bomb.
Mubyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote