AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2004-09-29, 22:12   Link #1
musouka

Black Jack

No love for the uber-doctor, eh? I've been waiting to see if someone would make a thread, but since no one stepped up, I decided to.

When I first read Black Jack, I was surprised how engrossing it was, considering I had originally picked it up solely to kill time. Though I recognized the story from the first special from the manga, it was fun seeing it in animated form.

Pinoco was so utterly teeth-rotting adorable. Uusually I would find characters like her incredibly obnoxious, but somehow she won me over. Though that is tempered with the fact that I've always found her a bit creepy as well.
Spoiler for Pinoco's origins:
ずっと変りはしない
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 00:13   Link #2
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Made from a tumor? Wow. hehe. That's definately creapy.

But yeah, I watched episode 1 of the OVA and so far I just absolutely love it. The way he resolved that weird operation to save a life vs a morality issue really was neat.

I'm also thrilled to hear that nobody has succeeded yet in getting either the ova or the series licenced yet. Not saying I don't want it licenced as I'd love to own it on DVD, but it does mean I will get to see it before it goes to dvd because it takes the licencing companies too bloody long to get stuff to dvd these days.

Well, anywho, back to the subject. I'm super stoked for the rest of this OVA, and the upcoming series. I've loved what I've seen so far and want MORE! MORE! MORE!
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 09:06   Link #3
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
No love for the uber-doctor, eh? I've been waiting to see if someone would make a thread, but since no one stepped up, I decided to.
And I was dying to see someone else make a thread!

Honestly, I've never read through the manga, although I had them available - my mother is a big Tezuka fan. It was a bit hard to understand to my young mind.

Now, 15+ years later, after working on Hi no Tori, I'm glad I get to work on another series by him.

Now... The special we released is actually not OVA There are 6+4 episode OVA released... This TV special was more or less a test to see how the fans would react. After a big success they saw in December airing of the special, they finally decided to make it into a series. Yay! And which leads to.... the TV series will have very similar cast as this special, so we can see the similar outcome that we're now all getting used to
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 09:15   Link #4
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Black Jack ... this really brings back the memories! It is good to see the good doctor make his appearance even if it is just for the sake of letting the young people to see how great Tezuka is really is.

I have read a small part of the manga before, and I still remember many of the miracles he performed with his surgery. One of the most touching stories is the story of Pinoco - really, your heart really goes out to her when you learn of her origins and what happens later when ... well, I should stop talking here...

For another modern master's take on Tezuka's Tetsuwan Atomu (otherwise known as Astro Boy), you guys might want to take a look at Naoki Urasawa's Pluto...
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 10:53   Link #5
Shiorichan
Mistress of Froth-Bite

It's in our nature not to make a thread because we think someone else will. At least, that's why I didn't make, but I did consider it.

I absolutely love what I have seen of the Black Jack special thus far. I worked on both episode 1 and 2 of the special. I was so sucked into episode 1 that I did episode 2 immediately after completing the first one.

I'm curious to learn more about Pinoco myself. She's just so freakin' cute. I think she's a big reason as to why I like this series so much.
Shiorichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 12:17   Link #6
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yeah, and she got even more uber cute in ep 2 when she kept wanting to snowboard.
Old 2004-09-30, 19:10   Link #7
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Quote:
I'm curious to learn more about Pinoco myself. She's just so freakin' cute. I think she's a big reason as to why I like this series so much.
Well...

Spoiler:
pyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 21:59   Link #8
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Awe, that's cool. It makes me like her even more.

I just hope she stays cute but never reaches "Moe level burning cute". I can't afford to replace another monitor if she makes it explode and catch fire with all her cuteness.
Old 2004-09-30, 22:28   Link #9
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyu
I am not sure if the next part is even possible in the first place...
Suwa Michihiro of Yomiuri TV said, regarding this series... (paraphrase)
Quote:
Although we check the validity of the script with the medical experts, we do put some stuff that are impossible to do with the current medical technology. Black Jack is a hero in the series, who sometimes can make impossible a possibility.
That should stand true to the original manga as well.
Old 2004-10-01, 05:07   Link #10
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
Pinoco was so utterly teeth-rotting adorable. Uusually I would find characters like her incredibly obnoxious, but somehow she won me over. Though that is tempered with the fact that I've always found her a bit creepy as well.
Spoiler for Pinoco's origins:
Spoiler:
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 06:44   Link #11
Ri_
mangaworm

I always wanted to see what Black Jack's all about and I'm really impressed with the first episode and can't wait to see the second. Didn't expect Black Jack himself to be so charming.

So, does anyone know how long this series will be?
Ri_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 10:02   Link #12
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

The specials are only 4ep long. The actual series that's coming shortly afterwards is 13 episodes. I'm sure Xris has already updated his episodes guide with this info.
Old 2004-10-04, 03:34   Link #13
Levon
Unregistered User

Black Jack rules

I like how this OVA has more of the classic retro designs.

First episode was great I thought, 2nd episode was alright but kinda lacking.
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 07:38   Link #14
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

TV series is only 13 episodes???? >.< I thought it would last longer than that. Where did that info come from?
Old 2004-10-04, 09:16   Link #15
Shiorichan
Mistress of Froth-Bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylf
TV series is only 13 episodes???? >.< I thought it would last longer than that. Where did that info come from?
Whoops. I forgot to tell you that, didn't I? Well, I just read it here from what Raiden posted, so I don't have any source other than that.

I really thought it would be more than 13 episodes because of character development that needs to take place.

Also, this is not an OVA. It's a special. If we start calling it an OVA, then people will get confused and think it is the old OVA.
Old 2004-10-04, 12:29   Link #16
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

I got it from one of the links provided here on the forums detailing fall series. Interestingly enough though, the sites I got that original number from have stricken that number and changed it to unknown which tells me that they only had originally planned to do 13 episodes and had only set aside that much resources not totally expecting the series to take off, but when it hit off as big as it has I think they went back and rethought their plans, hence why the 13 is no longer true. But the 13 episode limit is the last info I have for the 2004 blackjack series. Whether that stays true or changes will only be known in the coming weeks. But thats the last solid info I have. I'll try and let you guys know if I hear something different.

Three of the sources I drew my original episode number from was the Wiki fansubbers list, anidb, and animenfo. All those have been changed to "unknown length" status as of apparently this weekend. The other sites still list it as 13 episodes, but that is now labled as (rumored) instead of (confirmed).
Old 2004-10-04, 14:12   Link #17
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Hehehe... I wish I'd known where these people once "confirmed" 13 episodes saw the news originally... I don't claim to be (and never will) the most knowledgeble person regarding any series we sub ourselves.

It's just everything I read (including the interview of Yomiuri TV's exec. director reguarding the series) lead me to believe it will be a long lasting series.

--if people are interested, I can translate the aforementioned interview a bit by bit...
Old 2004-10-04, 19:50   Link #18
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Well, I think that the 13 episode number came from one of the guys on the Anidb forums and everyone else took it as gospel truth. Either that or it filtered up from the rumor mills because the rumor mills listed it as 13 episodes for the longest time too.
Old 2004-10-05, 05:27   Link #19
krem

I'm not sure this series if for me. I remember seeing Blackjack, I think have the Manga Video release, of a Blackjack movie, or a collated OVA set renamed as a movie which had more adult like characters. This series seems more comic. Are they the same character but different worlds?
krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 22:10   Link #20
Shiorichan
Mistress of Froth-Bite

It's Black Jack 3 time! Well, we bring you another episode that is unique and interesting in its own right. We hope you enjoy, I sure did. Pinoco is just so freakin' cute!