AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2013-04-23, 20:30   Link #6601
S.Freedom

Ok I'm not sure I get this need to make Cagalli into some sort of action heroine capable of beating or holding her own against Kira/Athrun in a fight.

That's never been her role within the series. Her role has always been that of plucky rebellious princess and nothing more. As much as I hate to admit it. Yuna had a point in all his lectures to Cagalli. She's no longer in a position to indulge in being an action girl ace pilot. Her primary responsibility both to Orb and her father is to lead Orb into the future. And she can't do that properly if she's trying to be an action girl ace pilot.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 20:44   Link #6602
Destined_Fate

No one is asking she should be better at piloting than Kira, Athrun, Shinn, or Lunamaria since her job isn't to be a pilot.

Just that she act not only as the voice of Orb but its shield as well. It would be quite telling that she not only advocates for ORB but is willing to personally defend it and put her life at risk for it before their eyes and of her own choice.

With Athrun's role as an Admiral I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't super amazing at piloting like Kira and Shinn if a movie comes to pass. As he has more important duties than being a pilot like them.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 21:14   Link #6603
Aquaman OS

Athrun was outperforming Shinn in a Zaku against the Extended's despite not having piloted in the break between seasons and not having touched MS with standard Zaft controls since before the begining of Seed.

I think he'll be fine. He only starts sucking if he's not fighting on the side he really wants to be on. And since he's the only one who stuck with Orb, that means so long as he's working for Cagalli he's good.

I'm pretty sure Athrun's style of Admiraling is the same as Kira's. "Let me launch and do the heavy lifting, and pick up the scraps in my wake."
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 21:27   Link #6604
S.Freedom

Why should Cagalli have to act as it's shield when she has a military for that? Much less people in Athrun and Mu who are leagues above her in terms of skill and experience.

As for Athruns command style. I'm not sure he'd be like Kira. I see him more like Mu was in episode 1 of Destiny. He'll only launch when needed and command from the Archangels bridge. That combined with Mu's abilities will be more than enough.
Old 2013-04-23, 21:55   Link #6605
Destined_Fate

Because we all saw the last couple times ORB military tried to defend itself.

Had Cagalli, Kira, Athrun, and the Archangel not been there than ORB would have feel within the hour with how badly Shinn was making short work of them all. Even Cagalli could barely keep up but at the very least she wasn't killed and help arrived in time before she was in any real danger.

Cagalli's appearance before the others was what helped ensure that ORB wasn't lost before reinforcements arrived to push back the ZAFT invasion.

Or in SEED how even with Kira and Athrun ORB was still lost.

So Cagalli being able to help defend her home isn't a bad thing at all and if anything it would be the smart decision as she can pilot far better than a mere grunt and her presence on the battlefield would be inspiring for her people even if she isn't doing crazy stuff like Kira or Athrun.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 22:48   Link #6606
S.Freedom

Oi that's circular logic. If the combined strength of the Freedom, Justice and Archangel couldn't prevent the fall of Orb. What makes you think Cagalli by her self would make any difference?

Yes Cagalli's presence allowed Orbs military regroup. But without the intervention of Kira in the S.Freedom and the doms Orb sill would have fallen a second time. Especially after witnessing Destiny take out a Cagalli piloted Akatsuki. It was just a matter of time before ZAFT's superior numbers won the battle for them like it did the EA.

Besides your missing the overall point. The world is at peace at the end of Destiny. And in a far better position for politicians like Cagalli and Lacus to create a lasting sustainable peace. Cagalli diverting her attention away from attaining that peace to become a better pilot increases the likelihood that those skills become necessary. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
Old 2013-04-23, 23:53   Link #6607
The American Average
2LMES

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Freedom View Post
Yes Cagalli's presence allowed Orbs military regroup. But without the intervention of Kira in the S.Freedom and the doms Orb sill would have fallen a second time. Especially after witnessing Destiny take out a Cagalli piloted Akatsuki. It was just a matter of time before ZAFT's superior numbers won the battle for them like it did the EA.

Besides your missing the overall point. The world is at peace at the end of Destiny. And in a far better position for politicians like Cagalli and Lacus to create a lasting sustainable peace. Cagalli diverting her attention away from attaining that peace to become a better pilot increases the likelihood that those skills become necessary. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.
when i read the first part couldn't help but laugh; Kira and 3 Dom equal more fighting strength than all of Orbs Military might combined with the Akatsuki.
more to the point its true that Shinn would have eventually beat Cagalli in the Akatsuki, but i could never take that fight seriously for a couple of reasons

1) Cagalli holds her own against Shinn for awhile, but just starts to get curbstomp soon as Kira enters the battlefield just in time to save her.
2) More a pet-peeve but the way Shinn cuts the Akatsuki's shield in half with what seems no effort at all. which is funny to me is why have the shield if its breaks so easily and how Shinns anti-ship get cut in half by Athrun's Infinite Justice's beam saber later.

Back to Zaft winning Orb, the fight was also started for Djbril's arrest and as he did in Heavens base he would have bailed long before Orb would have been destroyed resulting in a cease fire.

I do agree with you in the last part Cagalli would be too busy trying to fill the shoes left by her father then trying to be an ace pilot.
Old 2013-04-24, 00:36   Link #6608
S.Freedom

Honestly the main reason Cagalli "held her own" against Shinn is primarily due to the Akatsuki's anti-beam armor. Once Shinn realized he couldn't simple beam spam the Alatsuki he made the logical choice to use the sword and boomarangs. Which I found some what odd myself. That the Akatsuki was immune to beam rifles/cannons yet seemingly weak against beam boomarangs or anti-ships swords.

Let's face it, Cagalli was a mediocre pilot at best. Most of her success came about from the suit she piloted and not from skill. And the effort needed to make her a good enough pilot to be able to properly defend Orb is a waste of time. Especially when that time and effort can better be spent to prevent an attack in the first place.

As for Kira and the Doms having greater strength than Orbs military. You have to take into account that Yuna being the idiot* that he is didn't deploy Orbs military until after ZAFT started their attack. This allowed ZAFT to inflict a decent amount of damage before Orb was ever able to mount a serious attempt at defending it's self. And by that point ZAFT was taking full advantage of being un-apposed to it's fullest.

*And I'm being nice by referring to Yuna as stupid.
Old 2013-04-24, 00:42   Link #6609
Aquaman OS

They probably could have won without the Doms, but Kira was necessery to stop Shinn. As it was it bounced back and forth. Initially Zaft is stomping them because Yuna is in charge and giving stupid orders. Then Cagalli comes back, gets Yuna arrested and allows competant people to start giving orders and Zaft's advance is stalled. Then Shinn launches and starts chopping up Murasame's left and right. Then Kira arrives and stalls Shinn, bringing it back to a deadlock. Then Shinn leaves, allowing Kira to join the fight against Zaft's main forces and start pushing them back. Then Shinn and Rey launch and start overwhelming Kira. Then Athrun shows up and saves him and damages Shinn. At this point Djbril gets away and the fight ends, but otherwise Orb would still probably have won as Shinn was down, Orb had 2 super Gundams vs Zaft's 1.

Akatsuki itself didn't do much, since Cagalli blew up a few guys but mostly just took it to the central base and parked it for the rest of the battle. It's main purpose was getting her to the command center to take control

Come to think of it it was the same and Seed. Kira and Athrun could have easily blown up Daggers all day, but they were usually too busy fighting the Druggies to help out, letting EA's numbers push Orb back.
Aquaman OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 01:15   Link #6610
Washu-Chan
Powered by AMD Athrun 64

Has it been mentioned already that Cagalli was a fighter and not a politician?
Old 2013-04-24, 01:23   Link #6611
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washu-Chan View Post
Has it been mentioned already that Cagalli was a fighter and not a politician?
With Cagalli's current position, she doesn't need to be a fighter anymore, but she better learn to be a good politician, if she hasn't already.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 01:29   Link #6612
Washu-Chan