AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-02-10, 22:58   Link #81
zeroexia
he is a CHAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
This is arguable. I always found that it was primarily because of, as usual, opposing pilots underestimated him because of him being a kid with no MS or combat experience, so they take it easy and think him easy pickings or something, which leaves them wide open for them to be hit back. Otherwise, they really didn't do anything that unique...

Actually nobody cared about him being a kid considering it seems a lot of Coordinator pilots are young. For example, the Rau team and the Minerva team were all teens. Most of the pilots he faced were the same age as him and didn't know who he was except he was a coordinator like them which made it more dangerous than a natural to them. The only one who truly underestimated him was Miguel but he still got owned anyway. And when he got into the Freedoms, he became a legend, at least the Freedom became a legend. Nobody knew who the pilot was at all and had no idea who Kira Yamato was

Actually, those times he "fended them off" early on, it was really a combination of...

1.) Him blindingly shooting his beam rifle to the point of running out of energy while running away.

2.) Support from Mwu and/or the Archangel and damaging their mothership and forcing them to retreat.

...and/or...

3.) Them running out of power and being forced to retreat because of trying to fight him, Mwu, and the Archangel all at once.

...early on, if it weren't for some combo of the 3, he would've already been killed or captured. (As Athrun had him caught were it not for Mwu's intervention and Yzak had him on the ropes easily too.)

Originally, he wasn't doing that well but it showed quickly that he improved to the point of being able to take on the entire team by the time he was on Earth or at the very least better than almost all of the team except Athrun, who was a redcoat trained in the military to begin with. Of course SEED mode was the major factor in this. The major thing here is the fact Kira is able to become a super ace even though he never had any military training or even used weapons before. Of course this echoes Amuro Ray but then again by GSD, Kira still hasn't had any military training and hasn't piloted in 2 years and yet seems to have improved by a lot, to the point he owns everybody he sees.

No Newtypes in SEED/SEED Destiny though. So far, there's no real explanation for the full, long-term goal. We just know one step, at least, being to have a baby come out exactly as they plan it to be and MAYBE slightly better physically and/or mentally than your average Coordinator (though, Kira, again, really didn't show any such signs beyond any other Coordinator we get to know).

Then again, they seemed to pretty much quit on SEED Destiny halfway through and stopped trying to rationalize a lot of things and just did it to look cool or something. ~_~

Actually every main coordinator character we see in the show is usually the best of the coordinators to begin with. All the Redcoats are supposed to be the best, or at least better than the average coordinator. Of course the big three, Kira, Athrun and Shinn are the very best. Kira did show that he was vastly superior to most coordinators, even going by plot devices the hero always is better than the norm, by everything he did. And of course, he has those newtype flashes, the only coordinator to have them.
The thing that makes me very confused is how Lacus, in SEED mode, could sense Kira at the Battle of Messiah. Did she suddenly develop "spatial awareness"? Or was it woman's intuition.

That's the biggest problem with CE, they never finished explaining everything.
zeroexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 23:09   Link #82
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^They did explain GUNDAM:

Generation Unsubdued Nuclear Drive Assault Module

LOL, that was probably the least dumbest one too...

I wish Gundam OO would have explained Gundam..Unless I missed it...One of the neatest things is seeing how the name "Gundam" is created in the series...
Old 2011-02-10, 23:18   Link #83
zeroexia
he is a CHAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
^They did explain GUNDAM:

Generation Unsubdued Nuclear Drive Assault Module

LOL, that was probably the least dumbest one too...

I wish Gundam OO would have explained Gundam..Unless I missed it...One of the neatest things is seeing how the name "Gundam" is created in the series...
I don't think the name Gundam was ever explained in 00. And I think that in CE, only a few even say Gundam.

Did UC ever explain the name of gundam, not the real life explanation but the UC-in universe explanation?
zeroexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 23:44   Link #84
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well most of the Gundams were made of gundarium armor if memory serves, but I think this thread answers those questions (or tries)...
Old 2011-02-11, 00:10   Link #85
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Well, to be fair, Kira never really directly fought the others THAT often after reaching Earth. Even then, every single one of them were unused to combat on Earth at the time too initially. By the time he went up against Athrun, it was just a total RAGE battle, lol.

But yeah...even with all that, it didn't really feel "natural" with Kira, but more forced in just to make things look cooler...with most pilots in UC, their piloting felt more natural and developed as the series went on. Actually, it's weird how ONLY the Freedom is considered to be so legendary, yet the Justice isn't mentioned at all, even when it's the one who took out GENESIS and whatnot, which only adds to my thoughts on the Kira hype being more forced.

I still feel, in terms of pure piloting skill, that Athrun surpasses Kira; doesn't rely on SEED mode so much (only in much harder or desperate situations), is constantly in a melee-oriented MS which inherently require more skill, reflexes, and precision to be able to use effectively, which is also why you never see such MS so widely mass produced as opposed to general purpose or even support and artillery types. Also, unlike Kira, he only lost his MS by blowing them up himself. Only time he was shot down was in a GOUF Ignited on the run from a much superior MS (Destiny), lol.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 00:27   Link #86
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Err.. did I subscribe to a GS/GSD thread again? O_o Feels like it reading the thread.

We will now go into the extended commercial run about WHICH GUNDAM SERIES YOU DISLIKE.

tyvm.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 07:47   Link #87
kakakka

Quote:
Also, unlike Kira, he only lost his MS by blowing them up himself. Only time he was shot down was in a GOUF Ignited on the run from a much superior MS (Destiny), lol.
Freedom tore the Saviour apart....
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 08:27   Link #88
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

@Vsin, wingdarkness:
Nuclear reactors don't cause nuclear explosions... Where the fu*k did you two learn science?

Quote:
Funny thing is...Kira really showed little to no real "sign" of being the "Ultimate Coordinator" that really set him apart from others.
He is not supposed to show any "signs".. The Ultimate Coordinator Project was about designing a Human from head to toe on a genetic level.. It's basically about absolute genetic control. So no, it's not about having glowing eyes.. although, Ulen could have given Kira glowing eyes if he wanted to.

Quote:
But with the way they talk about it in the series and side-stories, they make it seem like some ultra-significant thing far greater than it is.
Because it is a pretty big deal.

Quote:
Like with Canard going all out of his way, initially, to find and defeat Kira just to take the title of "Ultimate Coordinator".
initially Canard didn't know and didn't care about his origins. But you have to keep in mind that he was tortured and experimented on for a long time.. constantly being called a 'failure'.. And than Dullindal added more fuel to the fire by reveling that there is an actual ultimate coordinator who was having this perfect life.

Canard never really cared about being the ultimate coordinator. For him it was more about proving that he is not a failure.

Last edited by kaito-kid; 2011-02-11 at 08:50.
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 13:44   Link #89
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^WTF did I say?
Old 2011-02-11, 14:20   Link #90
kaito-kid

this:

Quote:
Lulz, yeah I remember the fallout after that episode...
There was no nuclear explosion or a fallout.
Old 2011-02-11, 14:24   Link #91
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
this:

There was no nuclear explosion or a fallout.
I think he was referring to the fallout among the watchers, not an actual nuclear fallout.
Old 2011-02-11, 15:05   Link #92
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Like with Canard going all out of his way, initially, to find and defeat Kira just to take the title of "Ultimate Coordinator".
IIRC, Canard was obsessed about being labeled a failure. It wasn't about the UC project itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroexia View Post
I'm not exactly sure but couldn't that mean they could put whatever genes they wanted into the Ultimate Coordinator and therefore create the best human possible. This wouldn't be possible with regular coordinators considering the original problem.
That might be the ultimate goal, but remember that the project was failing and, as far as I know, only Canard survived. That's probably why Dr. Hibiki used his own unborn son. Kira was his last resort, so I don't think Dr. Hibiki would risk trying to go all out with him.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 15:40   Link #93
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
I think he was referring to the fallout among the watchers, not an actual nuclear fallout.
QFTruthSerum...I was about open a can kaito-kid^^....

LOL, But oddly thanx, since I finally understand that Simpson's comicbook character Fallout Boy now...
Old 2011-02-11, 16:22   Link #94
kaito-kid

lamo, you have a rather interesting way of using words.. xD
Old 2012-05-13, 02:36   Link #95
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I'm just not getting into Gundam AGE...

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 21:15   Link #96
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Honestly, I've been liking AGE a lot more than Wing, SEED Destiny or 00 in terms of characters and whatnot.
Old 2012-05-13, 22:08   Link #97
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So far, I would say AGE is the one I most dislike (hate is a strong word and doesn’t really describe my feeling towards AGE). It’s coz AGE’s “three generations” gimmick that they promoted so much is actually hindering the story from getting more fleshed out. I know that “gimmick” or “theme” is kinda important to give lasting impression to the audience (G Gundam with its super-robotesque nature, Wing with five super-powered main gundams & bishies, X with the post-apocalyptic setting, 00 with (again) super-powered gundams & bishies, etc) but if it only hurts the story, like I’ve seen in AGE so far, I don’t like it at all .
Old 2012-05-13, 22:40   Link #98
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

I think they manage to flesh things out quite a bit. After all, it's been about 15-16 or so episodes for each generation (the series itself totaling at 50 episodes).

Sure we don't know virtually everything about each main character or others, but after UC (which did explain a lot, even if after Mobile Suit Gundam and such), you learn that we don't need to know SO much besides what's necessary as the focus is on the characters at present. Until Kio's character plays out to the end, Asemu seems to have turned out better than Flit given how different he is in pretty much every way in the end (wanting to understand the Vagan rather than exterminate them, not being a powerful X-Rounder, but instead becoming just a very good pilot, and so on), thus allowing for a different route in development.

Sadly, that's something Wing, SEED and SEED Destiny lacked a lot of. 00 had it, but it felt like the characters at the present didn't really change a whole lot in exchange.

Unfortunately, that's what the trade-offs tend to be, especially if you only spend 1-2 official series in that specific universe; something the Universal Century has a huge advantage in compared to other series (10 official series in the Universal Century era alone; MSG, 08th MS Team, 0080, 0083, Z, ZZ, CCA, Unicorn, F91, and Victory), allowing for more extra content to come out and all and/or ways to connect them (0083, for instance, being more about the link between the development of MSG to Zeta).
Old 2012-05-13, 23:01   Link #99
kakakka

The only Gundam Series I don't like is 0083. Maybe I have high expectation, and just got shattered in the way. It does have good art though.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 01:23   Link #100
firefox
Seed seeder

ow a dislike topic, where to start the ranting, so many choices, so little room

I dislike the origional gundam TV series because it's old and outdated in every aspect, but that not it's fault really. Luckily some excellent spin off in both manga and anime form (8th ms team, 0083, war in the pocket, lost war chronicles, etc..) make up for it's defects.

I dislike the second half of zeta gundam and ZZ gundam. They are extremely boring and weak storywise. The caracters are annoying. I stronly dislike the "lets go psycho" stuff, which comes back in just about any gundam series except for the 8th ms team and 0083, but it's the most working on my nerves in Zeta.
A little bit more realism is wanted in the next gundam series.

Zeta's enemy suits are also among the most rediculously looking, in contrast with the good guys suits which go for a more realistic aproach. It's like they didn't know which way to go.

I do not understand what people see it it.

Then there is victory gundam, which was so good that i stopped after watching 2 episodes, Zeta all over again...boring...
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote